• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

Can't freaking wait.

Hmm I see, well either way I always mess around with all the settings on a new TV, so maybe it won't be so bad, I'll check that thread out though

It's not that complicated getting the settings or finding out if it comes on automatically once you know your TV and it looks fantastic on a lot of models.
But yes, definitely read that thread (and reviews) so you can make sure you're looking at a model with good specs.

DBT85

Ahh, got it. Thanks.

Bottomline is that 4K TVs won't be able to downsample then.

You could set the PS4 to output 1080p, but then the PS4 will render a game at 4k, supersample it down and output it at 1080, and then your TV is going to scale it back up to 4k.

If there is an option for 1080p60 on a game I can kind of understand maybe wanting that option if the 4k option only does 30.

If the game option is just 1080 native with many bells and several whistles, then yeah do that and your TV will scale it up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You could set the PS4 to output 1080p, but then the PS4 will render a game at 4k, supersample it down and output it at 1080, and then your TV is going to scale it back up to 4k.

This will probably make artifacting or fuzziness more prominent, no ?

If you have a 4K TV, it just makes a lot more sense for choosing the higher resolution over 'enhanced' 1080p effects, the much-superior IQ will be far more obvious than denser light shafts.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that games like Paragon, which have shown added foliage etc for 1080p TV's will carry over those extra things and not run with the OG PS4 world-geometry.

Ricky_R

Yeah, I was under the impression that you could set your TV so it wouldn't scale it back up to 4K. To lock it at 1080p so to speak.

Fisty

Yeah, I was under the impression that you could set your TV so it wouldn't scale it back up to 4K. To lock it at 1080p so to speak.

I think no upscale of a 1080p image on a 4k screen would just be a 1080p image at actual size, i.e. a small image with huge black bars on all four sides

jett

D-Member

What? The TV's native resolution is 4K. One way or another you're going to get upscaling.

If you have a 4K TV, it just makes a lot more sense for choosing the higher resolution over 'enhanced' 1080p effects, the much-superior IQ will be far more obvious than denser light shafts.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that games like Paragon, which have shown added foliage etc for 1080p TV's will carry over those extra things and not run with the OG PS4 world-geometry.

I think Paragon doesn't do 4K at all, unless I misunderstood what I read once.

That trio of things for 1080p HDTV owners is basically what I expect from developers enhancing their games at said resolution. Just the AF alone will provide a pretty big step up, because when you're surrounded by textures in-game, improving their quality will net you big visual gains. Downsampling will also help quite a bit with aliasing, especially with all this foliage on-screen.

My only concern now is whether the game's performance will suffer. I don't want a game with performance worse than the non-Pro version because of these improvements.

PS4 Pro enhanced games are not allowed to run worse than OG version.

DBT85

Of course it would. That's why I wouldn't go near it unless you REALLY wanted whatever benefit the 1080 version gets.

If you did that, your 1080 screen would take up 1/4 of your 4k tv. It has to scale it somehow if you want your whole screen to actually be used.

RoKKeR

There seems to be a pretty solid handling of the options for 4K and non-4K users of the Pro so far... hopefully that continues as time progresses and that MS is taking notes.

Metfanant

Ahh, got it. Thanks.

Bottomline is that 4K TVs won't be able to downsample then.
no, but you wouldn't want to...you're getting the full benefit of the significantly higher resolution

No, modern TV's (LCD, Plasma, OLED) are "fixed pixel" displays...they can ONLY display their native resolution

napata

PS4 Pro enhanced games are not allowed to run worse than OG version.

I think this is wrong. Mantis Burn Racing clearly had worse performance at 4k than at 1080p on the OG PS4.The developers said this was the launch code but they would still update performance later.

Besides how would Sony even enforce this? They're not going to play through all releasing games on both systems with a fps counter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There seems to be a pretty solid handling of the options for 4K and non-4K users of the Pro so far... hopefully that continues as time progresses and that MS is taking notes.

Yeah I think one of the biggest advantages MS has by launching a year later isn't just more powerful hardware but they can watch what happens with the PRO and try to avoid issues that pop up and developers will already have a bunch of games ready to go with "Scorpio" versions of their patches and more ready to make use of the extra power.

EagleEyes

Yeah I think one of the biggest advantages MS has by launching a year later isn't just more powerful hardware but they can watch what happens with the PRO and try to avoid issues that pop up and developers will already have a bunch of games ready to go with "Scorpio" versions of their patches and more ready to make use of the extra power.
Yep. Its definitely going to benefit Microsoft and the Scorpio later in the year. On topic, I can't wait to see what GG can do with the PS4 pro. February can't get here soon enough.

I think this is wrong. Mantis Burn Racing clearly had worse performance at 4k than at 1080p on the OG PS4.The developers said this was the launch code but they would still update performance later.

Besides how would Sony even enforce this? They're not going to play through all releasing games on both systems with a fps counter.

You saw an unfinished game. That is the mandate. How it is enforced is yet to be determined.

That was unfinished code.

Exactly.

taoofjord

So it sounds like this might be the first game to use the expanded color range with HDR. Can anyone clarify? I believe all HDR compatible games now are only using the increased contrast.

If this is the case, I can't wait! The deeper colors are apparently far more impressive than the contrast bump games have currently been using.

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

I want to know if those improvements are just for the 1080p mode only or are regular for the PS4 PRO version in any mode, because I noticed more and increased particle effects in Infamous Last Light too. I hope such enhanced graphical effects aren't exclusive to the 1080p mode.

renzolama

Is it just me or this game seems like a very strong system seller for the PS4 Pro?

If we define a strong system seller as a game that gives people who want to buy the new system already the gratification of feeling as though they're getting something special for their money, then yes. If we define it as a game that leverages the new system to create a killer experience that is significantly and demonstrably superior in way that convinces the average consumer that the purchase is worthwhile, then no. In my opinion, better image quality is not enough to justify a $400 purchase for even most of the core console gaming population. I think the microcosm of people on GAF who seem to be extremely impressed by it is just that and that consumers who either don't know enough about graphics to be impressed by it or do know enough about graphics to not feel that its worth the upgrade cost will be the overwhelming majority. The comments I keep reading lately by people saying "I can't believe the PS4 Pro isn't sold out, how could they possibly still have any left in stock at launch" seem to indicate a big gap in perspective between those interested and those not. It's a great value proposition for a new console at $400, but not for an upgrade console, and I doubt any individual games will change that based on the hardware specs and the way that Sony and developers have been discussing it. I would have dropped the $400 instantly if the hardware improvements had been focused towards allowing me to play console exclusives at 60 fps rather than with slightly better image quality that still looks worse than my PC.

Edit: That's not to say it might not entice non-upgrade consumers to pony up the extra $100 for the Pro, but I think that fits in with the first definition

adamsapple

I want to know if those improvements are just for the 1080p mode only or are regular for the PS4 PRO version in any mode, because I noticed more and increased particle effects in Infamous Last Light too. I hope such enhanced graphical effects aren't exclusive to the 1080p mode.

The lines you've quoted makes it seem like those enhancements are already in place for the full on Pro experience with a 4K TV and that they've yet to fine tune the 1080p only enhancements.

thelastword

Banned
Guerilla are really something. Most devs are checkerboarding to 1800p, but they are checkerboarding to 2160p, that's definitely more demanding ......(to checkerboard to full 4k that is)....No wonder people were immensely impressed by this title.....

It seems also that they still have lots of legroom to do much more with the Pro, this bodes well with titles that will be developed day one on the Pro.......

Just give us Shadowfall checkerboarded to 2160p when you have some downtime GG....60fps should be quite doable too.

The lines you've quoted makes it seem like those enhancements are already in place for the full on Pro experience with a 4K TV and that they've yet to fine tune the 1080p only enhancements.

I hope so and I hope that any enhanced graphical feature exist for both modes and there won't be specific 1080p increased details (except for the the supersampled picture) otherwise I will be missing playing the game in higher resolution and sticking to 1080p for the highest details.

Horizon only has one Pro mode. There is no choice.

Marmelade

I hope so and I hope that any enhanced graphical feature exist for both modes and there won't be specific 1080p increased details (except for the the supersampled picture) otherwise I will be missing playing the game in higher resolution and sticking to 1080p for the highest details.

I hope for the exact opposite.
1080p modes that use the extra power of the pro other than by downsampling from 4K (and yes I know that downsampling is nice in itself having been using it for a while now on PC)

Ricky_R

no, but you wouldn't want to...you're getting the full benefit of the significantly higher resolution

I know, but maybe downsampling would provide better IQ than the Pro upscale technique.

No, modern TV's (LCD, Plasma, OLED) are "fixed pixel" displays...they can ONLY display their native resolution

Got it, thanks.

Then why do these TV's default to overscan out of the box? It's like their deliberately trying to sabotage their own image quality or something.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Would a 4KTV's built in upscaler help with the checkerboard rendering looking as close to the quality of native as possible?

Kieli

The way he describes HDR is kinda absurd. Like, how much better can colour get than me walking outside and looking at stuff with my own eyeballs?

It depends on the developer. What else do you expect generally? Better graphics are only available to a point. Horizon was built specifically for PS4, so they aren't going to have significantly better assets ready to put into the game like a PC game would, their development pipeline isn't built like that.
Other than that the pro offers only a 512mb increase in memory, which can be mostly taken by the 4k buffers, specially deferred renders with fat buffers. It most likely have not much of headroom to improve assets.

Saberus

Other than that the pro offers only a 512mb increase in memory, which can be mostly taken by the 4k buffers, specially deferred renders with fat buffers. It most likely have not much of headroom to improve assets.

Incorrect.. it has 1 gigabyte of extra GDDR5 to use.. 512k for textures..etc and 512k for 4k buffer. Unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying?

adamsapple

How significant of a difference does supersampling have on image quality?

On a 1080p screen/resolution, it will act as a very good type of anti aliasing. It's rendering at a higher resolution and then downsampling to 1080p.

Super sampling can provide some great effect IMO. Animated movies are super sampled from a higher resolution hence why they look so clean. Ratchet and Clank with super sampling is going to be jaw dropping.

hesido

I hope HDR makes it to the PS4 version.

I think TLoU patched in HDR for PS4 also. Not that I have an HDR TV but I won't be buying Pro (unless my PS4 gives up working) but when I do, I should have some that support it.

Top Bottom