• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds really good

Would love it if the AF improvements also made it to the 4K version since those would stand out more on a higher res display but it may be asking too much.

bombshell

4K kinda should look better than image downsampled to 1080p and then upscaled to 4K for 4K TV

That's not what's happening when you're playing on a 4K TV.

There's only a checkerboard upscale from the near 4K resolution in that case, not a downsample to 1080p first.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Also, i guess this means 1800p to 4K TV checkerboard and 1800p to 1080p tv downsampled confirmed. 1800p is likely going to be the main res for developers on Pro unless stated otherwise really.

And i guess this confirms that checkerboard only exists for outputting to 4K displays and will automatically be disabled for downsampling to lower res televisions.

where did they say framerate will be smoother??

On pro, its just super likely considering the CPU upgrade.

I need some way of saving about £1000 for a PS4 Pro and a decent 4K TV before this game launches... any ideas would be appreciated!

EDIT - I saw a guy playing this on PS4 Pro at a PSVR event I went to a few weeks ago, and it looked absolutely fucking outrageous for an open world game. Like, the level of detail and fidelity to the visuals was amazing.

I've the 4KTV already and Pro on the way, sadly it's not HDR though, guess I will have to look to that in the new year.

bombshell

None of this is really new. Same things they've said all along when people were frantically asking about 1080p.

Yeah, that's true, but we all know how much some people have tried to make PS4 Pro into a 4K only machine, despite all the talk about 1080p benefits too since the PS Meeting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, basically exactly, 1 to 1 what Hulst said at the reveal, but now are people satisfied ? Come on guys :)

I've also been saying downsampling would be the main thing from the start, but you know, maybe people just need official sources first.

Really all I need now to go ahead and jump in on the Pro is a 60FPS patch for bloodborne/a new Pro-supported FROM Sofware title and Nioh to support the Pro with 60fps.

I'm surprised that they have managed to sway me this far.

Wereroku

Really all I need now to go ahead and jump in on the Pro is a 60FPS patch for bloodborne/a new Pro-supported FROM Sofware title and Nioh to support the Pro with 60fps.

I'm surprised that they have managed to sway me this far.

Nioh was already announced to support the pro. So 60 is a lock. Wish Bloodborne would get something but it is a closed book for From.

J-Skee

I don't really understand, and it has been bothering me for a while as a 4k TV owner.
I read that as 1080p will look better except for resolution.
Is that really the case? Will we see jaggies in 4k? Will 1080p have details we don't have in 4k?

I really hope we can choose the mode when on a 4k TV.

I have the same questions as well. I'm in need of new TV, but not really looking to get a 4KTV, yet, no 1080p TV has HDR. I want to see the enhancements from the super-sampling, but I also want to see the HDR.

leeh

This sounds really good. Really want to see both the 1080p mode and 4K mode. Increased AF, woo!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's getting a pro :(

ghibli99

If you have a 4K, you can benefit from both 4K and 1080p output, enjoying both versions' enhancements and differences. I can't wait to put games like this through their paces. You get the added benefit of 4K pixel density at 1080p as well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have the same questions as well. I'm in need of new TV, but not really looking to get a 4KTV, yet, no 1080p TV has HDR. I want to see the enhancements from the super-sampling, but I also want to see the HDR.

You guys are really underestimating how good higher resolutions look even below native res on a good 4K screen. This isn't like viewing 720p content on your 1080p TV.

Can't wait to play it in 1080P on my HD projector.
Virtually jaggy-less Horizon: ZD on a 100inch screen in front of me.

Are you sure? I kind of feel like this isn't clear.

I'm aware of that.

How many 1080P screens are there with HDR?
or do you want to play in 1080P on a 4K screen?

This is pretty much what I figured would be the case...

...but I still want to *see* it in action first. And have other outlets *see* it as well, for write ups.

Tagyhag

I'm happy with what they're doing with the 1080p mode but I really hope performance is also good. I want locked 30fps at the very least.

...but man the game would look so good in 60fps.

Sounds like what I expected, and gives me hope that the old PS4 won't be thrown under the bus so that pro becomes a de facto requirement..
Rendering at twice the resolution and down/upsampling to 1080p/4K is the easy way to get performance parity while using the extra power of the pro.

Personally, I can't get very excited about supersampling. It looks better, but not "twice the price" better. Some people will like it though.
I'm genuinely interested to see how "mainstream" console gamers react to the pro. I have no idea if the extra performance will be a popular choice.

The entire purpose of the Pro is pretty much improved visuals though. Some mentions of smoother frame rates, but not frame rate boosts. At least, not for regular games; PSVR will definitely benefit!

The CPU won't allow that. And their engine doesnt even support 60fps. So stable 30 is what you will get.

As long as they can keep a stable 30 fps I am happy. Just have a feeling it won't be lol.

Hexa

I'm aware of that.

If the 1080p version is HDR on regular PS4, I don't see any reason for the 1080p version on Pro not to have HDR. That just seems like a given. Is there something I'm missing?

icespide

Banned
Sounds like what I expected, and gives me hope that the old PS4 won't be thrown under the bus so that pro becomes a de facto requirement..
Rendering at twice the resolution and down/upsampling to 1080p/4K is the easy way to get performance parity while using the extra power of the pro.

Personally, I can't get very excited about supersampling. It looks better, but not "twice the price" better. Some people will like it though.
I'm genuinely interested to see how "mainstream" console gamers react to the pro. I have no idea if the extra performance will be a popular choice.
twice the price?

I'm aware of that.

It gets confusing because HDR 1080p TVs don't exist, but resolution and dynamic range are not directly related...

If that was the case PS4 OG/Slim couldn't even support HDR as it outputs 1080p MAX

MADGAME

Yeah, just edited. I understand. That might even be the best option in some cases. But not sure if HDR will be in that mode..
Gotcha. Yeah was looking to see if one could game with the 1080p supersampling mode with a 4k tv but still get HDR. I ask because to me the 1080p mode benefits are better than playing in upscaled 4k resolution. HDR would be sweet sugary icing.

Is this confirmed now that 4K TV owners can pick which mode to run on the pro?
I'm not sure if you can pick for this game specfically, which is why I was asking. I know Tomb Raider will give the choice, hence my question.

If the 1080p version is HDR on regular PS4, I don't see any reason for the 1080p version on Pro not to have HDR. That just seems like a given. Is there something I'm missing?
Yeah sounds logical and makes sense, I was asking because even though that sounds logical, the way some of the descriptions are worded it leaves doubt and would be a bummer if not an option.

HDR is available on any rendering mode.
Roger that.

sense

This sounds really good. Really want to see both the 1080p mode and 4K mode. Increased AF, woo!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's getting a pro :(
Well when 9 out of your 10 friends buy halo digitally, I can see why they are not getting a pro ;)

I'm replacing my original with the Pro just for the 1080p HIQ.... its the perfect 1080p Console which is perfect for me and everything I ask for.

?

It's only $100 more...

You guys are really underestimating how good higher resolutions look even below native res on a good 4K screen. This isn't like viewing 720p content on your 1080p TV.

Yeah, agreed. Some get hung up on native resolution, which is important, but fails to capture relation between screen size.

This tv gen a lot of people went from a 1080 55" tv to a 4K 55" tv.

Any increase beyond 1080 is really packing in a lot proportionate to the screen size.

This confuses some because last gen people were disappointed with 720 performance on 55" forgetting that it was a res more suited to earlier 27" LCDs.

Huge difference in proportion.

Bottom line, if 1080 looks great to you on a 55-65" tv, as it is, then don't expect disappointment with <4K but >1080 res. Quite the opposite.

?

It's only $100 more...

Factoring in the other benefits, it's even "less" than $100, like a 1tb drive. A third USB is massively appreciated too.

taizuke

As a 1080p tv owner (not interested in 4K as of now) this is the game that might just push me to get the Pro.

Seth

so for this game, is 4k and hdr two separate modes? or will it output in both 4k and hdr at the same time?

Top Bottom