• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

J-Skee

You guys are really underestimating how good higher resolutions look even below native res on a good 4K screen. This isn't like viewing 720p content on your 1080p TV.

Well, again, I rather just get a 1080p set. I would like to avoid 4K for at least another 3 years. But personally, for me, I'd also like to see the benefits of HDR. If I could get HDR on a 1080p TV, that'd be everything I need.

Shin-Ra

The question is, provided that it hasn't been answered, which will display better IQ, the smartly upscale 4k or the downsampling to 1080p?

Would it be better for a 4k TV owner to play at 1080p or at 4k?
Native 2160p output.

There's no benefit to rendering a 2160p image, downscaling to 1080p and then upscaling again to 2160p.

platina

Well, again, I rather just get a 1080p set. I would like to avoid 4K for at least another 3 years. But personally, for me, I'd also like to see the benefits of HDR. If I could get HDR on a 1080p TV, that'd be everything I need.
Yeah, I've never seen an HDR oled 1080p tv. It's all 4K

Tyaren

Also, i guess this means 1800p to 4K TV checkerboard and 1800p to 1080p tv downsampled confirmed. 1800p is likely going to be the main res for developers on Pro unless stated otherwise really.

And i guess this confirms that checkerboard only exists for outputting to 4K displays and will automatically be disabled for downsampling to lower res televisions.

Is a downsampled native 1800p image still a great AA solution? :/ I thought they'd downsample the 4K checkerboard image for that really smooth look on 1080p TVs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is a downsampled native 1800p image still a great AA solution? :/ I thought they'd downsample the 4K checkerboard image for that really smooth look on 1080p TVs.

Anything above 1080p downsampled is a great AA solution on 1080p screen, 1800p is far above necessary to get significantly superior IQ on a 1080p screen.

Its not actually confirmed that the actual reconstructed final image that is output to the TV is downsampled to 1080p screens or if the initial resolution that is necessary(for example double the pixel ratio of 1080p) to be checkerboarded to resolve a final 4K pixel output through information received through other frames is downsampled to 1080p screens without reconstructing to the final 4K resolved image first.

Aka, we don't know if the higher resolution is downsampled without the reconstruction applied or not. But i'm assuming nor because they don't actually say that is the case.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Checkerboard 2160p is 'near 4K' there's no mention of 1800p whatsoever.

Checkerboard 2160p is made from 2x1080p 'perfectly' rendered pixels every frame and 2x1080p temporally+spatially reconstructed pixels.

There's no checkerboarding 1800p to 2160p.

Checkerboarded 4K is 4K. THe end result is a 4K pixel image of around 8 million pixels

This image has to be resolved reconstructed initially from a lower resolution obviously filling in the missing pixels to achieve the 8 million pixel ratio correct?

PulseONE

pretty much the opposite here, I'm getting a pro but sticking with 1080p. any of the HDR threads have scared me into waiting a year or 2 for all of the HDR settings and standards and shit to settle down

How do you mean? Are there some sets where it won't work or something?

icespide

Banned
How do you mean? Are there some sets where it won't work or something?

certain sets support different standards, and there's usually various settings you have to turn on, that are called different things on different sets, some automatically set backlight settings, but sometimes that doesn't work, I dunno I just skimmed the TLOU HDR thread last night and it seemed like a clusterfuck of trial and error

robjn3

Can you get HDR 1080p TV's?

Do you need a 2.0 hdmi cable to reap the benefits of hdr/4k?

If so does the Pro include one and is it like 1.3a where the image quality is the same regardless of the price you pay?

Thanks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you need a 2.0 hdmi cable to reap the benefits of hdr/4k?

If so does the Pro include one and is it like 1.3a where the image quality is the same regardless of the price you pay?

Thanks.

Probably and yes Pro comes with a "premium" HDMI cable which will support 4K 60hz signals.

Shin-Ra

Checkerboarded 4K is 4K. THe end result is a 4K pixel image of around 8 million pixels

This image has to be resolved reconstructed initially from a lower resolution obviously filling in the missing pixels to achieve the 8 million pixel ratio correct?
Half of the 8 million pixels are constructed from previously rendered frames and/or neighbouring pixels and half are rendered 'normally'.

Technically, with temporal AA, even the 'normally' rendered pixels are reconstructed to a degree.

RibMan

Sounds excellent. Everything about Horizon looks extraordinary on the Pro, so I imagine it will still look unbelievable on the regular PS4. Supersampling coupled with a framerate that isn't all over the place will make the game look incredibly smooth. Excited!

BigEmil

The extra RAM should give AF a good boost, don't know why they focus on shadows take that resources and use it elsewhere more noticable

cooldawn

But the world is so fleshed out already...IQ can't be underestimated.
Nah...it'll have the same open-world issues. Stuff like vegetation continually being generated around me, lack of objects populating a scene for depth, and other normal open-world considerations.

But yeah, it's predominantly built for 4K...not for fuller worlds, which I would prefer.

I'm pretty sure Lego games run at 1200p on PS4 as an Anti Aliasing solution and it works pretty well.

Perhaps 1200p with another Anti Aliasing solution (something like ND did with Uncharted 4) would be enough to provide a crisp image quality and the rest of the resources should be spent on Texture, particles and framerate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gotcha. Yeah was looking to see if one could game with the 1080p supersampling mode with a 4k tv but still get HDR. I ask because to me the 1080p mode benefits are better than playing in upscaled 4k resolution. HDR would be sweet sugary icing.

Are you suggesting the game renders in checkerboard 4K, then downsamples to 1080p, then upscales to 4K on your TV? I can't see how that makes sense?

Downsampling only makes the 1080p image look better than natively rendering in 1080p. it won't compare to native 4K (or even checkerboard) because you're still throwing away 3/4 of the original pixels.

PulseONE

certain sets support different standards, and there's usually various settings you have to turn on, that are called different things on different sets, some automatically set backlight settings, but sometimes that doesn't work, I dunno I just skimmed the TLOU HDR thread last night and it seemed like a clusterfuck of trial and error

Hmm I see, well either way I always mess around with all the settings on a new TV, so maybe it won't be so bad, I'll check that thread out though

Shin-Ra

The extra RAM should give AF a good boost, don't know why they focus on shadows take that resources and use it elsewhere more noticable
They probably focused on shadows because they found it was an area of noticeable improvement. Horizon's got nicely filtered, soft shadows that hide obvious lower-res shadow map edge shimmering but it's always nice to see clearer, distinct shadow outlines from details like leaves, if possible.

Curufinwe

I want 1080p 60fps.

This would bring a far better experience than have 4k downsampling and still having 30fps. I really hope that becomes an option for all these games.

Get a PC. The PS4 and PS4 Pro don't have the CPU power required to run many a lot of games at 60 fps.

Espada

That trio of things for 1080p HDTV owners is basically what I expect from developers enhancing their games at said resolution. Just the AF alone will provide a pretty big step up, because when you're surrounded by textures in-game, improving their quality will net you big visual gains. Downsampling will also help quite a bit with aliasing, especially with all this foliage on-screen.

My only concern now is whether the game's performance will suffer. I don't want a game with performance worse than the non-Pro version because of these improvements.

SeanTSC

That trio of things for 1080p HDTV owners is basically what I expect from developers enhancing their games at said resolution. Just the AF alone will provide a pretty big step up, because when you're surrounded by textures in-game, improving their quality will net you big visual gains. Downsampling will also help quite a bit with aliasing, especially with all this foliage on-screen.

My only concern now is whether the game's performance will suffer. I don't want a game with performance worse than the non-Pro version because of these improvements.

Isn't one of the mandates that they can't run worse than the vanilla PS4 versions?

Ricky_R

Native 2160p output.

There's no benefit to rendering a 2160p image, downscaling to 1080p and then upscaling again to 2160p.

I meant 4K TV owners setting their TV to display at 1080p, or it doesn't work like that? Tbh, I'm not really sure if you can actually set at what resolution you want your TV to output.

Usually you do that with the console, for example.

MADGAME

Are you suggesting the game renders in checkerboard 4K, then downsamples to 1080p, then upscales to 4K on your TV? I can't see how that makes sense?

Downsampling only makes the 1080p image look better than natively rendering in 1080p. it won't compare to native 4K (or even checkerboard) because you're still throwing away 3/4 of the original pixels.

No, was only asking if I could game in 1080p on my 4k tv to get the 1080 benefits of the game, but still use HDR.

The Pro has pretty much convinced me to get a new TV

I'm looking at the Samsung UN40KU7000, hopefully it'll do the trick

If you like to watch movies, that tv model doesnt do judder free 24p playback, and the hdr isnt that good on this specific model.

heringer

I assume framerate will be smoother as well. He just doesn't want to outright say it so people won't think the game has shitty performance on OG PS4.

mitchman

Gold Member
I meant 4K TV owners setting their TV to display at 1080p, or it doesn't work like that? Tbh, I'm not really sure if you can actually set at what resolution you want your TV to output.

Usually you do that with the console, for example.

No, but you can set the PS4 Pro to output a 1080p signal, but the UHD tv will always scale it up to the native resolution.

Top Bottom