• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PS4 Pro enhances Horizon: Zero Dawn

Awesome upgrades for 1080p.
I feel better about waiting till next fall to get a 4K TV. By then hopefully all this HDR stuff will have settled.

dugdug

Banned
It depends on the developer. What else do you expect generally? Better graphics are only available to a point. Horizon was built specifically for PS4, so they aren't going to have significantly better assets ready to put into the game like a PC game would, their development pipeline isn't built like that.

I hear ya, that's just not a hot selling point, you know? Like, all I see here is "for an extra $399, it'll look a little nicer."

Which, to be fair, isn't specific to this game. It's a selling problem I have with the Pro in general.

The 1080p enhancements are not worth an upgrade from my base PS4. Paragon will be the exception it seems, if not even Sony's 1st party is doing more than the bare minimum.

AEREC

Any mention of framerate? Don't care if it's 30 or 60...I just want it to be locked. The last time I saw PS4 pro footage it was all over the place.

Marmelade

DerZuhälter;222436007 said:
The 1080p enhancements are not worth an upgrade from my base PS4. Paragon will be the exception it seems, if not even Sony's 1st party is doing more than the bare minimum.

The Pro would have been awesome as a 1080p focused console.
It also wouldn't have existed in the first place.

I think the "4k downsampled to 1080" will be the 1080p mode for the majority of games.

zoukka

Too bad the improvements seem to be all aimed at improving the IQ instead of performance. But that is to be expected I guess.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
a126ec49b0c6a2e2314c0b17d1f34f7c.jpeg

Well there is something to be said about that. Paragon had a PC version that had a number of graphical features that came as part of upgrades made to UE4 over time, upgrades that the consoles could not handle at 60fps @ 1080p. Heck they even had to implement a worse quality SSAO into unreal to get it @ 60fps @ 900p.

So they already had all these higher quality effects and presets developed beforehand. GG on the other hand presumably only has those effects and quality presets that they deved for the PS4, so it would take that much more time to dev such things.

DBT85

I hear ya, that's just not a hot selling point, you know? Like, all I see here is "for an extra $399, it'll look a little nicer."

Which, to be fair, isn't specific to this game. It's a selling problem I have with the Pro in general.

But it doesn't sell on that premise.

To a new buyer it's an extra $100 and if you already own a PS4 you trade in and so it's a $200 upgrade. Something some people don't want and that's cool. But it's never been "for an extra $399, it'll look a little nicer.".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sure, that's why this is an iterative optional unit dude. Its not a next gen console that takes full advantage of the platform, via exclusive games and other things.

Its a PS4 that provides a more refined version of the current experience.

Sony knows there are people who will feel fine with their current PS4 or won't see an investment as worth it, that's why the slim exists.

Of course, as prices for the Pro come down, and PS5 is introduced, the OG PS4 will be discontinued and the PS4 Pro will continue on as the base PS4 model option for many years to come to be sold low cost in third world countries.

Too bad the improvements seem to be all aimed at improving the IQ instead of performance. But that is to be expected I guess.

Performance will be improved, the upclocked CPU won't sit there doing nothing of course, just don't expect super dramatic doubling of FPS.

SeanTSC

Super excited for this and won't be replacing my Panasonic Plasma anytime soon (probably not until PS5 and when 4K TV tech is mature enough for my tastes).

Enhanced 1080p for the win.

platina

We’re also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.

O_O Super sampling and increased shadow maps, af and still there is more to play around with??

raw

Performance will be improved, the upclocked CPU won't sit there doing nothing of course, just don't expect super dramatic doubling of FPS.
Exactly, and also since there was no mention of it the ps4 pro version (either in 4k mode or 1080p mode) will have better textures thanks to half a gig of extra ram. Some pro games have pc equivalent of Ultra textures. This is huge.

No enhancements for 1080p other than a sharper looking game? Glad I canceled that preorder. Incredibly underhwleming.

*Edit. The preorder was for the PS4 Pro. I'm still buying Horizon. :)

brawly

Yeah, I never had any doubt that first party will make it worth it. I'll definitely have to get it for that alone. Just hope the third party support is consistent and good.

So, SO many people that definitely 100% wouldn't get a Pro are gonna get one anyway when more news like this drops.

Y'all can't resist those 4 Teraflops of heaven.

Oni Jazar

That will be the automatic effect in all games that don't provide a specific 1080p mode.

When the game is rendered in above 1080p resolution, but played on a 1080p TV, the IQ will benefit tremendously from the downsampling.

Is there confirmation for this? That's the big deal for me.

Planet

To summarize

Standard 1080p

- Supersampling means virtually no jaggies
- Better shadow maps
- Better AF

PS4 Pro

- 2160p Checkboard rendering to 4K
So do Sony care about 1080p Pro users? If they don't, they need to say this is not for you and you should not have any expectations.

They just want to sell 4K TVs! Arrogant Sony!

,How can I tell if my HDTV is HDR compatible? That wasn't a criteria for when I bought it, not sure if it has it or not.
Is it a 4K tv? If not you don't have it. Otherwise grab the model and google search.
Yeah, agreed. Some get hung up on native resolution, which is important, but fails to capture relation between screen size.

This tv gen a lot of people went from a 1080 55" tv to a 4K 55" tv.

Any increase beyond 1080 is really packing in a lot proportionate to the screen size.

This confuses some because last gen people were disappointed with 720 performance on 55" forgetting that it was a res more suited to earlier 27" LCDs.

Huge difference in proportion.

Bottom line, if 1080 looks great to you on a 55-65" tv, as it is, then don't expect disappointment with <4K but >1080 res. Quite the opposite.

Factoring in the other benefits, it's even "less" than $100, like a 1tb drive. A third USB is massively appreciated too.
Don't forget about that sweet sweet 5ghz wireless n.

Shin-Ra

For 1080p users, we don't know if Pro's using AMD's VSR or some other downsampling process but image quality shouldn't differ too much from this:

Horizon4Kdownsample.png

[for this I simply applied a .5px radius gaussian blur + bilinear resampling to the 2160p screenshot in Photoshop CC]

Super clean, smooth 'bullshot' image quality.

Also, i guess this means 1800p to 4K TV checkerboard and 1800p to 1080p tv downsampled confirmed. 1800p is likely going to be the main res for developers on Pro unless stated otherwise really.
What? It says right there in the blog post they're rendering checkerboard 2160p, not 1800p.

Pixel-peeping the 2160p Horizon screenshots you can see they have native res sharpness without an extra upscaling step, but a slight pixel fluffiness on contrasting edges from the checkerboarding, but this isn't visible on my 2160p monitor unless I put my face right up to the screen. From my normal UHD TV viewing distance it looks like perfect 4K, far sharper than any UHD video content available.

Days Gone doesn't even have the checkerboard 'fluff' artefacts when inspected closely.

twdnewh_k

Really wish I hadn't sold my Ps4 after reading all these 'enhancements', if this is the direction most games will go. Can only hope devs start giving us better performance instead.

My mistake though, shouldn't have rushed to sell and assume The Pro would turn out as I hoped.

Vuze

Yeah it's really not that incentivizing even with a 4K HDR TV. Unless the performance on OG PS4 is an absolute clusterfuck but I certainly hope not...

icespide

Banned
For 1080p users, we don't know if Pro's using AMD's VSR or some other downsampling process but image quality shouldn't differ too much from this:

Horizon4Kdownsample.png

[for this I simply applied a .5px radius gaussian blur + bilinear resampling to the 2160p screenshot in Photoshop CC]

Super clean, smooth 'bullshot' image quality.

What? It says right there in the blog post they're rendering checkerboard 2160p, not 1800p.

Pixel-peeping the 2160p Horizon screenshots you can see they have res sharpness without an extra upscaling step, but a slight pixel fluffiness on contrasting edges from the checkerboarding, but this isn't visible on my 2160p monitor unless I put my face right up to the screen. From my normal UHD TV viewing distance it looks like perfect 4K, far sharper than any UHD video content available.

Days Gone doesn't even have the checkerboard 'fluff' artefacts when inspected closely.

man that looks clean as fuck

PulseONE

The Pro has pretty much convinced me to get a new TV

I'm looking at the Samsung UN40KU7000, hopefully it'll do the trick

Shin-Ra

It says checkerboarding from 'near 4K' resolution. Aka 1800p checkerboarding to a 4K pixel ratio.
Checkerboard 2160p is 'near 4K' there's no mention of 1800p whatsoever.

Checkerboard 2160p is made from 2x1080p 'perfectly' rendered pixels every frame and 2x1080p temporally+spatially reconstructed pixels.

There's no checkerboarding 1800p to 2160p.

icespide

Banned
The Pro has pretty much convinced me to get a new TV

I'm looking at the Samsung UN40KU7000, hopefully it'll do the trick

pretty much the opposite here, I'm getting a pro but sticking with 1080p. any of the HDR threads have scared me into waiting a year or 2 for all of the HDR settings and standards and shit to settle down

Sorry I'm bad at this but what's better for pro a 4K TV with HDR or a 1080p display?

yes

Ricky_R

The question is, provided that it hasn't been answered, which will display better IQ, the smartly upscale 4k or the downsampling to 1080p?

Would it be better for a 4k TV owner to play at 1080p or at 4k?

platina

Sorry I'm bad at this but what's better for pro a 4K TV with HDR or a 1080p display?
1080p would have better graphics effects, 4K would have better iq due to near 4K resolution and HDR for this game. They both have their benefits. Everybody wins

Top Bottom