• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to revisit Iwata's legacy?

emb

Balloon Fight is the way to go. Tip: in Balloon Trip, don't miss any balloons. Eventually when you have a long enough chain going, the balloons change color and give you way more points. At least if I'm remembering correctly.

Was he involved in Air Fortress at all? I just picked up this little NES gem recently, and noticed it had the Hal name on it.

Codeblue

Hey everyone

If you get Balloon Fight from somewhere, it's only like 24kbs

Balloon Trip highscore is 25000

review-balloonfightnes-big-1.jpg

See if you can beat it :)

125620 is my all time record. Balloon Fight is a great choice.

Going to download Earthbound.

God, it hurts :-(

I've been playing Earthbound. Not sure any other game can offer that sort of catharsis, and the fact that Iwata had a huge impact on it makes it all the more appropriate.

big_erk

Balloon Fight. Adventures of Lolo. Kirby Superstar.

Man, Adventures of LOLo ate up so much of my time. It was a game that myself and my future wife played to death. I can't count the number of times we played through the levels. As a matter of face we just finished it again a couple of months ago.

Gonna take my GBA SP and Pokemon Crystal with me to work today.

Kanto in G/S/C is probably my favorite gaming surprise of all time, and knowing the story behind how it happened makes me appreciate it that much more.

phanphare

Banned
so I want to get Pokemon Gold or Silver because that's a gen of Pokemon that I skipped

should I get the GBC version or Heart Gold/Soul Silver for DS?

Afrocious

In terms of Kirby games, Kirby 64 is not only my favorite Kirby game, but also one of my favorite games of all times. It's on the Wii VC, and I'm planning on getting it tomorrow

Yeah, Kirby 64 was a favorite of mine as well. I'll buy it too.

so I want to get Pokemon Gold or Silver because that's a gen of Pokemon that I skipped

If you want to appreciate what Iwata pulled off, then the GBC version. However, I don't think it matters too much. HGSS is the ideal version of the second gen games.

I picked up Balloon Fight on the Wii U eShop, and strongly encourage others to do so if they want to pay tribute. It's a game I wouldn't normally have bought on the VC, but I love the game and it's worth every penny to enjoy a simple game so close to the man's legacy.

There's very little reason to go back to the originals when the remakes are available, especially for someone that initially passed up on Gen 2.

Only thing is, HG/SS are probably the most valuable/rarest entries in the series, so it might just be cheaper to get the GBC versions considering how expensive HeartGold and Soul Silver have gotten. Playing Gen II games on GBC isn't anywhere near as difficult as going back to Gen I, in my opinion.

Edit: Yeah, and as mentioned above, I guess the GBC versions might give you a little more appreciation of what Iwata did with the game.

Skulldead

Arcana is a little-known SNES HAL JRPG that Iwata definitely had a hand in programming. I'd be interested in learning more about how much he did on it. I love this game. It's a first-person dungeon crawler by the way.

arcana-04.png

I've also been playing Earthbound, Balloon Fight, and Smash Bros. 64.

WHAT ? he work on that game ! this is one of my favorite JRPG on Snes...

phanphare

Banned
If you want to appreciate what Iwata pulled off, then the GBC version. However, I don't think it matters too much. HGSS is the ideal version of the second gen games.

There's very little reason to go back to the originals when the remakes are available, especially for someone that initially passed up on Gen 2.

Only thing is, HG/SS are probably the most valuable/rarest entries in the series, so it might just be cheaper to get the GBC versions considering how expensive HeartGold and Soul Silver have gotten. Playing Gen II games on GBC isn't anywhere near as difficult as going back to Gen I, in my opinion.

Edit: Yeah, and as mentioned above, I guess the GBC versions might give you a little more appreciation of what Iwata did with the game.

thanks yall

currently searching for a reasonably priced copy of Soul Silver. got a $27 bid in with 9 hours left. like new copy complete with box and manuals. ::crosses fingers::

Piccoro

In honor of Mr. Iwata, I'll be playing Balloon Fight in Nes Remix, and then download the full Virtual Console game from the eShop. I'll also play the Balloon Trip game on Nintendo Land.

clem84

Gold Member
I haven't touched my Kirby's Dream collection since I bought it 2 years ago I think. I shall remedy that situation today.

Can anyone tell me if Iwata contributed to all the games in that collection in some fashion?

Revven

My earliest connection to him was absolutely through Kirby -- Kirby's Adventure, if I remember correctly. Then Smash Bros. (because he was involved with that becoming a thing, after all) and then Pokemon (obviously Gen 2 and Pokemon Stadium 1). In his memory and to relive my childhood (also to have fun) I'm going to play Pokemon Stadium 2 -- I haven't ever beaten it before and I already beat PS1 around a year or two ago.

I may also play Kirby's Dreamland 3, it's been sitting on my Wii U since I got it from the VC and I just haven't ever gotten around to playing it. Now... would probably be a good time as any -- I've never played it before, either, so... it would be a treat.

Kouriozan

Arcana is a little-known SNES HAL JRPG that Iwata definitely had a hand in programming. I'd be interested in learning more about how much he did on it. I love this game. It's a first-person dungeon crawler by the way.
Oh wow, really?
I played it years ago, liked it but never really finished it, I need to go back to it now.

I plugged my N64 in as well and started playing pokemon stadium. Its not the best pokemon game, but its still a lot of fun, and has that amazing nintendo magic. Iwata was one of the greats.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Played this when it launched back in the 90's. Hadn't realized it was a HAL game, nor one he coded. Really dug it at the time too.

SerTapTap

Watching the Credits in Kirby Super Star is a good way to cry, especially with that music. I believe he also worked on the 3 Dreamland games and Kirby's Adventure.

If you can find it, Kirby's Dream Collection is a nice, tangible way to play most of those games (uh sorry Europe) and the Virtual Console is well stocked with Kirby.

Poke around Kanto in Pokemon GSC because his compression allowed them to include the region.

Earthbound as mentioned naturally.

If you want to go extreme obscure there's Star Battle for Commadore

sörine

Banned
Always wondered why Arcana never got a Virtual Console release. Wouldn't Nintendo/HAL own the rights?
HAL owns it. A lot of their NES/SNES/GB stuff is conspicuously missing from Virtual Console. All we really got was Lolo 1-2, Vegas Stakes and Revenge of the Gator.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am gonna buy Mother 1 and Kirby 64, I was putting them off but after Iwata passing it seems right to get them.

I will also get get Balloon Trip and make a Mii fighter of him in Smash Bros 4.

Really gutted that he's gone. :(

Was he involved in Air Fortress at all? I just picked up this little NES gem recently, and noticed it had the Hal name on it.

As far as I've read, I believe that he directed it. That game is great, kind of a cross between a simple shmup and a better version of Baraduke but without I'M YOUR FRIEND. I've heard that in North America, it only got released as a Home Shopping Network/QVC mail order-type deal, and it would look a little dated upon a 1988 release, but the gameplay sure shines through.

Was he involved with the Adventures of Lolo games? I adore those and I don't see them being mentioned. Anyway, Kirby and SSB are two of my favorite series ever, Pokémon Silver is my favorite Pokémon game and I need to play Earthbound since I got it for free on Club Nintendo somewhat recently.

Rightly or wrongly, I somehow always kind of associated him with the Lolo games growing up. I saw something that said that he at minimum made the stage editor for the first Famicom release of the series, but it sounds like HAL was so small during the '80s and early '90s that pretty much everyone there probably had some sort of hand in every game. I don't see his name among the title screen credits of the original MSX Eggerland Lolo games, though.

It seems like between Rollerball and doing NES Pinball for Nintendo and the golf games that he was pretty well involved with at least the codebase for HAL's ongoing pinball (Rollerball, Revenge of the Gator, Kirby's Pinball Land, Pokemon Pinball GBC) and golf releases (Hole in One for MSX and SNES, the FDS Golf games, NES Open Tournament Golf).

Everyone interested in Iwata's programming background should probably watch his Balloon Fight mini-episode of Game Center CX.

Zemm

I picked up Balloon Fight on the Wii U eShop, and strongly encourage others to do so if they want to pay tribute. It's a game I wouldn't normally have bought on the VC, but I love the game and it's worth every penny to enjoy a simple game so close to the man's legacy.

Yeah I've done the same. Would be a nice little gesture if it could climb the eshop charts :')

This may be apocrypha, but I read it on the Internet so it has to be true.

Nintendo internally developed Balloon Fight for the Play Choice 10, but the NES port was handled by HAL. Nintendo was impressed that HAL's version of Balloon Fight scrolled smoother than their own. It was Iwata who programmed the game, and he shared his technique with Nintendo.

It's possible that without knowing this technique, Nintendo may never have been able to create Super Mario Bros.

eXistor

I put on my Mother 2 t-shirt and played Earthbound in his honor. But I agree that you should play any game that is fun to you, that's really following his philosophy more than anything.

This may be apocrypha, but I read it on the Internet so it has to be true.

Nintendo internally developed Balloon Fight for the Play Choice 10, but the NES port was handled by HAL. Nintendo was impressed that HAL's version of Balloon Fight scrolled smoother than their own. It was Iwata who programmed the game, and he shared his technique with Nintendo.

It's possible that without knowing this technique, Nintendo may never have been able to create Super Mario Bros.

Not apocrypha at all! In the NSMB Wii Iwata Asks, from the mouths of Iwata, Nakago, and Tezuka themselves, Iwata's technique in the Balloon Fight port led directly to Super Mario Bros. 1's underwater portions feeling like they did. It sounds like such an easy tweak, but it makes so much of a difference:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/nsmb/1/0

Blues1990

I've been playing 'Balloon Flight' & 'Balloon Trip: Breeze' back-to-back, as both games are what I consider to be comfort food for me. Never knew that Iwata had worked on both games, the former as a programmer & the latter as a supervisor.

eYabU8l.jpg

I've been meaning to play this game for years. Yes, it says Square Soft. According to Wikipedia, Iwata worked on this game. Might have been made by HAL and published by Square. I think it's worth revisiting lesser known games. I don't know what exactly did Iwata do, though. He's listed as Producer.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is balloon fight available on the eShop for 3DS?

I'm going to buy it when I get home.

It's on both 3DS and Wii U.

eYabU8l.jpg

I've been meaning to play this game for years. Yes, it says Square Soft. According to Wikipedia, Iwata worked on this game. Might have been made by HAL and published by Square. I think it's worth revisiting lesser known games. I don't know what exactly did Iwata do, though. He's listed as Producer.

That's look good, I will probably check it out.

Bought Balloon Kid, Kirby's Dreamland 1+2, Kirby's Star Stacker and Balloon Fight on 3DS eShop, did he have anything to do with Balloon Kid?

Zultan

Banned

arcana-04.png

I've also been playing Earthbound, Balloon Fight, and Smash Bros. 64.

This was made by HAL? I finished it back in the day. I should play it again. I liked it. You really have to enjoy this type of game in order to get into it. Wonder what role he played in it, if any.

Top Bottom