• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Sony handle the PS5 update/remaster of The Last of Us Part 2?

VulcanRaven

How will Sony handle the PS5 update/remaster of The Last of Us Part 2? Do you think they will just give a free/paid update or will there be a remastered version next-year? The first game got remastered one year after the original was released so it might happen again. One thing I'm worried about is the multiplayer they are probably working on right now. I hope it won't be exclusive to PS5. I fear they might made do something stupid like with Spider-Man Remastered.

Last edited:

Allandor

I guess, they will make an update for 4k 60 and a remaster with new Textures etc.

After all, God of War is "only" running up to 60fps (1080p) on the PS5 (like on pro but more of the "up to"), so seems like there is no patch incoming to make this 4k 60.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Boost patch with unlocked framerate allowing 60fps is probably enough for most people. They'll probably sell a PS5 boxed version at some point.

Multiplayer should be crossplatform with PS4 irrespective of a remaster.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be free. There was already so much backlash for Spider-Man, I can't imagine them not just following Microsoft in this and make it free.

Ten_Fold

If you own the game already, you will get a patch. I think they will sell you the game for like $40 with DLC.

I'm sure they'll patch in a free 4K / 60 FPS update somewhere down the line - but it doesn't really need it. What they were able to accomplish on the base PS4 blows away anything the competition has to offer IMO

Kokoloko85

Spiderman should give us an idea

Or maybe they go the Ghost of Tsushima and God of War route - Free 60fps upgrade.

Keep tweeting Naughty Dog and ask for a 60fps upgrade. I keep annoying them with it. Saying are you gonna do what Suckerpunch did and give a free 60fps upgrade? Every tweet they make, Im there to annoy them. Join in

Im doing the same for Death Stranding and Kojima Lol. Tweet them and demand

Last edited:

Salz01

I prefer they make and focus on Factions 2, 60fps with ray tracing. Doubt I’ll play TLOU2 story mode any time soon again.

Concern

Or maybe they go the Ghost of Tsushima and God of War route - Free 60fps upgrade.

Keep tweeting Naughty Dog and ask for a 60fps upgrade. I keep annoying them with it. Saying are you gonna do what Suckerpunch did and give a free 60fps upgrade? Every tweet they make, Im there to annoy them. Join in

More people should do this to sway them this way. But of course if mm sells well on ps5, it will give them more ideas like that. Have to vote with your wallets. But the forums are just a small part of the whole consumer base.

KAL2006

Banned
After the dissapointing God of War boost mode announcement. I expect a remaster for Last of Us 2 bundled with Last of Us Online.

Originally I assumed a simple patch for most Pro enhanced games like Shadow of Collosus, inFamous, Last Guardian, Ratchet and God of War. However after that Santa Monica tweet the most those games will get is 1080p/60fps boost mode or 4K if the game had dynamic resolution. It's a shame as a patch would take the developer a day to do just to have a in lock framerate option for resolution/graphics mode for all these games.

Allandor

There is no GoW 60fps patch. It is simply running in BC mode and using the PS4 Pros 1080p performance mode patch. Nothing more so far.

Kokoloko85

There is no GoW 60fps patch. It is simply running in BC mode and using the PS4 Pros 1080p performance mode patch. Nothing more so far.

Ghosts of Tsushima is getting a patch though. As they were released only a couple months apart, so theres no reason TLOU2 cant get the GOT treatment, only thing stopping them is greed.

Last edited:

yurinka

How will Sony handle the PS5 update/remaster of The Last of Us Part 2? Do you think they will just give a free/paid update or will there be a remastered version next-year? The first game got remastered one year after the original was released so it might happen again. One thing I'm worried about is the multiplayer they are probably working on right now. I hope it won't be exclusive to PS5. I fear they might made do something stupid like with Spider-Man Remastered.
It's one of the best looking game ever, so I'd say it doesn't need a remaster. It runs at 1440p on PS4 Pro, so a GoT/GoW-like patch to unlock framerate and add dynamic resolution to get 4K 60fps would be more than enough. PS5 should add way shorter loadings and better input lag. Seems that PS4 BC games also can take advantage of some of the PS5 features (I'd say stuff like hints or activities).

So unless they wanted to add raytracing, haptic feedback and 3D audio (it already has awesome audio) I'd say they don't need to touch anything else. But who knows, maybe they can release a PS5 SKU of the game adding all these features and give the PS5 version for free to all the PS4 owners of the game, as they are doing with basically all the crossgen PS5 games.

sn0man

At this point I never go back to TLOU on PS3 and consider TLOUR basically the place to play the game.

If they have some sort of story DLC for PS4 I’d be fine with a TLOU2R that bundles both and does some graphical improvement like 1800p 60fps advanced lighting for $30–40 or whatever. They can release it full price but I’ll wait for a steep sale as I played TLOU2 at launch for $60.

MiguelItUp

70$ Remaster available next year, Bundled with Factions
Honestly I could see them doing this. MAYBE not for full price, but, I could definitely see it happening. Especially if they're putting THAT much into Factions.

If it all ends up being free and hefty. I'll be shocked.

J3nga

There's nothing to remaster, unlock fps or 4K/30fps, those changes don't require much effort to charge again especially that it hasn't been that well received by the users.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since I haven't played this yet and the first was one of my favorite games, I really want a proper PS5 version!
Also they really should do a good patch for the AAA sony games like GOW, Horizon, etc.

Andodalf

Banned
There's nothing to remaster, unlock fps or 4K/30fps, those changes don't require much effort to charge again especially that it hasn't been that well received by the users.

I mean that's basically the chance TLOU got and it was called a remaster.

JimiNutz

Banned
The game looks incredible as it is and I'd be happy with 60fps and maybe 4K native (although I likely won't play through it again anytime soon).

One thing I hope is that they don't spend any significant time on updating the game for PS5 - spend all your fucking time creating the multiplier modes that we are still waiting for!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The obvious choice, the will do what GoW is doing. Use BC and make a PS4 Pro mode that unlocks the frame rate. This will let the PS5 play at 1080P 60fps. The game already looks gorgeous, there is no reason to remaster it. A real PS5 patch would allow them to get more pixels at 60fps, but the effort involved is probably not worth it.

Inexcusable not to use higher poly asset's so the game looks borderline CGI and matches the in game cutscenes. With that said, I don't see them doing as much for a remaster other than higher res textures.

Even if released free - still not the value of an XBOX gamepass subscription.

J3nga

I mean that's basically the chance TLOU got and it was called a remaster.
Yeah, because 720p@30fps -> 1080p@60fps back then seemed like a significant improvement and the game wasn't backwards compatible. Now the game already looks damn good on a PS4 PRO and is also backwards compatible. It would be hard to justify any fees this time around. GOT will have higher fps, not sure about the resolution though. I can see similar thing happening to TLOU2.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah, because 720p@30fps -> 1080p@60fps back then seemed like a significant improvement and the game wasn't backwards compatible. Now the game already looks damn good on a PS4 PRO and is also backwards compatible. It would be hard to justify any fees this time around. GOT will have higher fps, not sure about the resolution though. I can see similar thing happening to TLOU2.

Who said they will only enhance framerate and resolution. They can do more with a remaster, the original demo actually looked better than the final release of the game so they can make it look like the first gameplay reveal as a start and work from there. Look at Spider-Man Remastered that isn't just a resolution and framte rate enhancement. It has more pedestrians, increased draw distance, new models, ray tracing and etc. I'm sure they can add more enhancements to make a remaster worth it. As a person who hasn't yet played or bought Last of Us 2 I would prefer a remaster as I know a remaster would have more worked done on it than a simple patch for resolution and frame rate increase.

JimboJones

A remaster with a raytracing option could potentially be pretty cool, applied with their current baked lighting solution, interactive elements could blend in better with the environment. Could look amazing.

Sounds like BC on PS5 is about as basic bitch as it can bit which is a shame. If BC games were doing all the awesome stuff like they are doing on Xbox Sony would have been screaming from the roof tops.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY will drop the last of us part 2 ps5 players will be playing it regardless because PS4 games are on it now, developers are coached today to know that your current gen game will probably be on next gen.

They'll change Abby's face just like they did to Spiderman. The new Abby:
maam.jpg

thelastword

Banned
I guess, they will make an update for 4k 60 and a remaster with new Textures etc.

After all, God of War is "only" running up to 60fps (1080p) on the PS5 (like on pro but more of the "up to"), so seems like there is no patch incoming to make this 4k 60.

Maybe day1 GOW will just run in BC, but eventually they will patch it for 4k 60fps with the bells and whistles. Santa Monica is balls deep into GOW 2, so it makes sense they want to focus on that as the release year for GOW 2 seems to be as early as 2021......

Azurro

Banned
They should be stunning and brave and finally make Abby into a trans person. I really feel like they held back in the last title, ugh, so heteronormative to just make her a hulk lady, in my heart she's totally trans, if it wasn't for those bigots at Naughty Dog. ;)

• Triggered
Reactions: MrS

Dodkrake

Banned
Depends. If it's a remaster, with new textures, reworked stuff, etc, I'm expecting it to be paid, even if it is 20 quid. If it's a patch for higher res / more FPS, i'm expecting it to be free.

Alebrije

Free patch for PS5 before 2021 better framerate and small improvements no ray tracing or new resolution....somthing like GOW.

Factions game before june 2021

Remaster+factions+maps pack+ new weapons and other items..holyday 2021.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Do you think they will just give a free/paid update or will there be a remastered version next-year?

No. I think a update will happen before PS5 even comes out to give better performance, but in terms of a remaster, I believe they will charge like you are saying with Spiderman remaster.

So Both.

Free update for performance like you see on PS4 Pro as no one actually pays for that as consumers.
Paid remaster like you are seeing with Spiderman.

The first game got remastered one year after the original was released so it might happen again

This. I tend to lean towards that if it happened before, that is the most likely scenario statistically.

I hope it won't be exclusive to PS5

Unlikely. The fact that Sony confirmed both communities will game with each other online sounds like they have no intention of having that locked to 1 system as the majority of sales are on the PS4 version seeing how its the only one that exist right now.

I can't imagine them not just following Microsoft in this and make it free.

? What REMASTER did MS make free? What are you talking about? Sooooo MS isn't giving away free remasters, they are simply not making remasters as of right now.......thats it.

The game already looks gorgeous, there is no reason to remaster it.

So....you think they need a "reason" to want to make money? So yea, the game already looks amazing you are correct, but so did The Last Of Us 1 on PS3, looking amazing for a PS3 game doesn't make it 1080p/4K 60fps etc. No different then The Last Of Us 2 looking good on PS4 doesn't magically give it RT, new assets etc.

So....if Spiderman looks great on PS4 and it has a PS5 remaster, what does that tell you? Do you not understand that they can make it look better using the PS5 and sell it to folks who never bought Spiderman on PS4 or never even owned a PS4 prior to even buy Spiderman that might want the BEST version? Thats the market they are selling to. So I agree with you that it looks great, that doesn't mean it can't look better and perform better as you are now questioning even the point of next gen.

Alebrije Alebrije Agreed. A very solid educated guess.

MrS

Banned
Writing’s on the wall after Spidey. Just gonna wait for it come to + in a year or two.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So....if Spiderman looks great on PS4 and it has a PS5 remaster, what does that tell you? Do you not understand that they can make it look better using the PS5 and sell it to folks who never bought Spiderman on PS4 or never even owned a PS4 prior to even buy Spiderman that might want the BEST version?

Spider-Man work was already being done for Miles Morales, so remastering the original was very little additional costs. You cannot just make money, you have to recoup the investment first.

Last edited:

Tmack

I would preffer they wait a bit more and do a proper remaster later on the gen, possible with both 1 and 2 proper remastered for PS5 in a single full price game.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yea none of those are remasters though.... You proved my point pretty good btw.

AgentP AgentP That doesn't change the fact that a market exist for it and they can do different things with PS5.
Yeah ND will improve the graphics for TLOU2, just like Microsoft did it for all of their games. Difference is that Sony will call it a "remaster" to get you to pay another $80 for it.

Top Bottom