• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Stream 7 + $25 Windows Store gift card: $69.99; Portable gaming goodness

SystemUser

hmmm, i'm not sure. Though my Mac Pro (newest model) has USB 3.0 so I'd think it would be outputting enough power...

Are all of the USB ports 3.0? On PC the 3.0 ports are often marked inside (or out) with blue. I just tried the Chromecast wall plug which outputs 850 mA and that seems to be enough to trigger charging.

dLMN8R

Does anyone know of a good app that will give you touch controls like Gesture Works Gameplay that can be found in the Windows store?

This is Gesture Works btw: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296610/

I'm trying to find something specifically in the Windows Store rather than Steam because I have the $25 gift card I'd like to spend there.

Nope, and not possible. Apps from the Windows Store are sandboxed and can't integrate with other programs like that.

Chuy

Been tinkering with this bad boy for a while now and i have to say i'm fairly impressed with it honestly. Runs impressively smooth despite only having 1GB of RAM plus IE seems to be a lot better than i expected. Should be a nice,convenient way of writing essays on the go instead of lugging my huge laptop everywhere but i plan on seeing how this thing does emulating sometime soon though.

Bry0

Plays Hearthstone amazingly well. Not a hint of lag, huge step up over the crappy android port. Still cannot believe how lazy the android port is.
I am certainly loving this tablet way more than the Galaxy Tab 4 that I just sold. This device is much more capable than the Tab 4, cheaper, and got me alien isolation for free with the gift card. Thanks for making me aware of this deal OP!

It changes to the desktop version when I open Gaming Discussion, that's why I asked.

If a website does not have the option to switch (not sure if GAF does hidden in a setting), you will want to spoof the site by altering your user-agent-string. If you use Chrome, try this.

Once the add-on is installed, choose a mobile browser like "Android-KitKat" and it will default to Mobile. You can easily switch this off / back and forth etc.

Wow i'm amazed after watching those videos. Are there any other slightly better alternatives that do not exceed this price by a large margin?

Decided to return this. Or sell it on Craigslist. Whatever gets me more back.

I just...I wanted to love it. I so wanted to love it. But At the end of the day the user experience is just bad, using it to play steam games is a hassle not worth the effort, and there is absolutely nothing of interest on the Windows App Store. I just keep using it and ending up wondering, "What's the point?" Almost everything I can do on that, I prefer doing on my phone, and for everything I can't, I'm convinced I should just spend a little more on an iPad mini.

I'm not saying this will be the experience for everyone but, for me, this is decisively not worth the money--great deal aside.

jfoul

So far, I'm really liking mine. I bought a nice slim case, Micro USB OTG, and a 64GB Micro SD for it. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this $25 MS Store Gift Card. I was thinking about buying 2x Xbox One controller stands.

Odrion

Banned
Alright, after getting use to it the Nyko Xbone Clip works well enough for the Tablet. And Steam Home Streaming is pretty fucking awesome on the thing.

Although:

Sometimes the performance gets weird, I don't know it it's depending on what else is running on the tablet. For the most part it's been doing 50~60fps with damn good IQ.

Not only is the speaker on this is weak, and not only is the headphone port has that weird hum, but sometimes the sound doesn't even come through. Eh?!

Other than that, it's been a pretty great portable Borderlands / X-Com player. I hope I figure the sound thing out. I am kinda blown away at how well it's doing what I want for $80. I really hope someone puts out a Steam Streaming focused handheld thou.

So far, I'm really liking mine. I bought a nice slim case, Micro USB OTG, and a 64GB Micro SD for it. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this $25 MS Store Gift Card. I was thinking about buying 2x Xbox One controller stands.

There's an SD slot for it? I must be blind.

Wiktor

I wonder. Can you install programs on SD card? I don't mean metro apps, as I know this option was removed in 8.1, but I mean regular old desktop software.

bomblord1

Banned
I wonder. Can you install programs on SD card? I don't mean metro apps, as I know this option was removed in 8.1, but I mean regular old desktop software.

Yes, I wouldn't use anything less than a class 10 though. A higher end class 10 should have read/write speeds comparable to a slower HDD.

Pooya

sure you can, but keep your expectations in check, microSDs have slow random access. I have installed things like download managers or pdf viewers on it on my Surface Pro, works well. I wouldn't install CivV on there though...

I have a few questions about the HP Stream 7 as its cheap in the UK.

1) When Windows 10 comes out will I need to buy Windows 10 or will it be an update?

2) is this machine powerful enough to stream games from Xbox One when remote play becomes available?

I have a few questions about the HP Stream 7 as its cheap in the UK.

1) When Windows 10 comes out will I need to buy Windows 10 or will it be an update?

2) is this machine powerful enough to stream games from Xbox One when remote play becomes available?

1. All Windows 8 devices should work with Windows 10. You'll have to consciously choose to update, but you won't have to buy it.

2. It can handle Steam in-home streaming without issue... so probably, but we won't know the answer till the time comes.

1. All Windows 8 devices should work with Windows 10. You'll have to consciously choose to update, but you won't have to buy it.

2. It can handle Steam in-home streaming without issue... so probably, but we won't know the answer till the time comes.

great thank you. Very tempted to get one, especially as I am away on holiday in May and I would be able to put videos on it to keep my daughter amused during the flight

great thank you. Very tempted to get one, especially as I am away on holiday in May and I would be able to put videos on it to keep my daughter amused during the flight

Be warned, the battery life is not great. If all you need is a couple hours on battery, you'll be fine, but I wouldn't count on it lasting all the way through a 3+ hour flight plus an hour or two in the car on either end.

Be warned, the battery life is not great. If all you need is a couple hours on battery, you'll be fine, but I wouldn't count on it lasting all the way through a 3+ hour flight plus an hour or two in the car on either end.

Oh... I'll find a good portable charger, thanks for the warning

Yet another question! I really should wait... Has anyone used it to play Command and Conquer games or ones like it? have them all on steam and was wondering what it runs like especially Red Alert 3

The requirements for The anniversary set is
CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel P4 / 2000+ AMD Athlon. For Vista and Windows 7: 2.2 GHz Intel P4 / 2200+ AMD Athlon.
RAM: At least 512 MB for XP / 1 GB for Vista and Windows 7.
HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space. Note: 15 GB is the MINIMUM, but for all games installed, it is 41 GB total.
VIDEO: DirectX 9.0c, NVIDIA GeForce 4+ / ATI Radeon 8500 or better. Note: ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI, NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX cards are not supported. For Vista and Windows 7 NVIDIA GeForce 6100+ / ATI Radeon 9500+ or better. Note: At the time of release, Windows Vista is not compatible with ATI-based video cards with Radeon 9250 chipsets and below, in addition to NVIDIA-based video cards with GeForce 5000 series chipsets and below. ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI and NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX cards not supported. By extension, the game is not compatible with these chipsets on Windows Vista machines.
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c compatible. DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card. Note: For Vista and Windows 7 For Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards running under Windows Vista, Intel P4 2.6 GHz CPU or equivalent, or multi-core CPU, required.
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse.
ONLINE CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS: For Multiplayer games: 2 to 8 players with optional voice support, network or Internet connection required (Cable, DSL, or faster connection).

Seemingly it seems the first games up to Generals should play from the system requirements of those games

Ignoring the 41GB for all of the games, is it likely I could play all the games even on low settings? Also Mouse and Keyboard, how do they and a controller connect to it?

bomblord1

Banned
Yet another question! I really should wait... Has anyone used it to play Command and Conquer games or ones like it? have them all on steam and was wondering what it runs like especially Red Alert 3

The requirements for The anniversary set is
CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel P4 / 2000+ AMD Athlon. For Vista and Windows 7: 2.2 GHz Intel P4 / 2200+ AMD Athlon.
RAM: At least 512 MB for XP / 1 GB for Vista and Windows 7.
HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space. Note: 15 GB is the MINIMUM, but for all games installed, it is 41 GB total.
VIDEO: DirectX 9.0c, NVIDIA GeForce 4+ / ATI Radeon 8500 or better. Note: ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI, NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX cards are not supported. For Vista and Windows 7 NVIDIA GeForce 6100+ / ATI Radeon 9500+ or better. Note: At the time of release, Windows Vista is not compatible with ATI-based video cards with Radeon 9250 chipsets and below, in addition to NVIDIA-based video cards with GeForce 5000 series chipsets and below. ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI and NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX cards not supported. By extension, the game is not compatible with these chipsets on Windows Vista machines.
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c compatible. DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card. Note: For Vista and Windows 7 For Creative Sound Blaster Audigy cards running under Windows Vista, Intel P4 2.6 GHz CPU or equivalent, or multi-core CPU, required.
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse.
ONLINE CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS: For Multiplayer games: 2 to 8 players with optional voice support, network or Internet connection required (Cable, DSL, or faster connection).

Seemingly it seems the first games up to Generals should play from the system requirements of those games

Ignoring the 41GB for all of the games, is it likely I could play all the games even on low settings? Also Mouse and Keyboard, how do they and a controller connect to it?

Your computer exceeds all of those specs on paper.

//ARCANUM

wow. so i charged this thing up overnight, put it in my bag this morning (about 11am) and just took it out of my bag to and the charge has dropped from 100% to 52% in 4.5 hrs of being idle......

is there some adjustment i can make to this? this is extremely drastic? do i just need to turn it off after i'm done using it every time?

edit - actually now that i'm thinking about it, i remember taking it off the charger and it immediately said it was at 97%, not 100%, and that is after charging for probably 8 hrs...

mackattk

wow. so i charged this thing up overnight, put it in my bag this morning (about 11am) and just took it out of my bag to and the charge has dropped from 100% to 52% in 4.5 hrs of being idle......

is there some adjustment i can make to this? this is extremely drastic? do i just need to turn it off after i'm done using it every time?

edit - actually now that i'm thinking about it, i remember taking it off the charger and it immediately said it was at 97%, not 100%, and that is after charging for probably 8 hrs...

I would just turn it off, sleep mode seems to discharge the battery even when not using it. I read some things where wifi/bluetooth may still be on, and something else about the audio driver keeping the tablet on. Turning on airplane mode and lowering the volume to 0 seems to help some people. You can give it a shot if you want, but I would just turn the thing off when not in use.

As far as the charger issues, from what I know, they charge up to 100%, and then when the device gets to about 95%, it will recharge it back to 100%, and keeps looping like that until you get if off the charger.

bomblord1

Banned

97% right off the charger isn't abnormal for any device.

As for power I can't say for sure but it could be any number of things. It's possible the power button could have been being bumped by stuff in your backpack keeping it a perpetual on cycle.

It could also be your power settings are incorrect.

My suggestion would be to completely shut it off when not in use instead of using sleep mode.

Isn't the $25 coupon for the Windows Store (i.e. for apps)?

We set it up, so that when pressing the power button the device is shutting down. Thanks to quick boot booting it up takes only ~ 10sec. That way it does not waste any power when not in use.

when the device is idle it switches to standby though. That's best of both worlds I guess.

//ARCANUM

We set it up, so that when pressing the power button the device is shutting down. Thanks to quick boot booting it up takes only ~ 10sec. That way it does not waste any power when not in use.

when the device is idle it switches to standby though. That's best of both worlds I guess.

How do you configure this? (Sorry I'm a windows noob)

//ARCANUM

Eternia

I've had all sorts of trouble with my Venue 8 Pro's battery as well. I've tried turning off sound and wifi and it still occasionally drains in connected standby. From the sleepstudy charts, worst case has it discharging at about 5% per hour. Settled with shutting it down when I'm not going to use it for a while.

SystemUser

Update on the battery issue, i found this and am trying it out, will report back on its success:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp...lume-mute-connected-standby-save-battery.html

(it's an automated task that disabled wifi and mutes the device whenever you enter sleep)

When I am not going be using it for a while I just shut it down. It takes about 10 seconds to reach the login screen from a cold boot. By default a long press (5 seconds I think) triggers the shutdown prompt. You long press then swipe the screen to shutdown.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Update on the battery issue, i found this and am trying it out, will report back on its success:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp...lume-mute-connected-standby-save-battery.html

(it's an automated task that disabled wifi and mutes the device whenever you enter sleep)

oh, nice find. My linx 7 loses a lot of battery during sleep too - sometimes I even find it on the lock screen cycling a screensaver. And it keeps popping up in my network devices on my PC so it is clearly not sleeping very soundly :)

DjRalford

Been playing Civ V on mine through steam, surprising how well it runs, even installed to the Micro SD Card, touch controls are just a bonus.

Top Bottom