• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Stream 7 + $25 Windows Store gift card: $69.99; Portable gaming goodness

Is there any way to use an Xbox one controller with the nyco smart clip, while charging the tablet?

I'd get the PS4 smart clip but don't want to buy a PS4 pad just for this.

Kolgar

On mine now and I love it. A freaking Windows 8.1 PC in my hands for $75.05, plus a $25 gift card.

Jazzed about the Smartglass integration with my Xbox One.

This is a great next step from my venerable HP Touchpad.

Lagamorph

Down to £74.99 in the UK as well, from £99.
Not sure if you get any Microsoft store credit, but you do get 1TB of Onedrive and Office 365.

I can also get 2% cashback through work.

Damn I'm tempted as an early birthday present to myself for next month...

Edit - Are there any other clips for using a PS4 pad with it? The Nyko ones only seem to be available in the UK as a US import, so they cost the £25 you're saving just for the clip. (And eBay sellers want half that again in postage since they're sending from the US)

Anybody have any thoughts comparing the Stream 7 to the WinBook TW700? Looks like the $60 WinBook is a clear winner with its full USB port and microHDMI port, with the tradeoff of 16 GB of storage instead. $80 to $60 isn't too big, but it's a pretty nice difference at these tablets' price points.

SystemUser

OK fuck I want one too now.

I was looking at it at work.

Worth a shot if I only pay $45? I have some credit at work so only have to pay that much.

I tried out the app Cover the other day. The IPS screen makes everything look good, but it is only a 7 inches. It is about the right size for Manga and Archie comics, but standard size stuff is shrunk down of course.

Anybody have any thoughts comparing the Stream 7 to the WinBook TW700? Looks like the $60 WinBook is a clear winner with its full USB port and microHDMI port, with the tradeoff of 16 GB of storage instead. $80 to $60 isn't too big, but it's a pretty nice difference at these tablets' price points.

That seems like a better deal for the most part. The Stream 7 can use USB OTG, but you need to have an adapter. Supposedly there are USB OTG adapters that allow you to charge the tablet and use USB OTG at the same time. The WinBook TW700 having a microHDMI too makes it usable as a desktop light uses. It also has a physical Windows button on the side and microSD card is a side slot that doesn't require you to remove the back cover.

The only real drawback on the TW700 is the 16 GB of internal storage. It seems like everything can be installed on a microSD card (as long as it is fast) instead of the internal flash other than Windows Appstore apps.

It seems like the Stream 7 might slightly edge out the Winbook TW700 as handheld tablet due to being able to install more appstore apps. The Winbook TW700 sounds like it would be the better PC experience by far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Down to £74.99 in the UK as well, from £99.
Not sure if you get any Microsoft store credit, but you do get 1TB of Onedrive and Office 365.

I can also get 2% cashback through work.

Damn I'm tempted as an early birthday present to myself for next month...

Edit - Are there any other clips for using a PS4 pad with it? The Nyko ones only seem to be available in the UK as a US import, so they cost the £25 you're saving just for the clip. (And eBay sellers want half that again in postage since they're sending from the US)

I'm using the official Sony one that they released for their Xperia phones. Works fine with my linx 7

And if it comes with a year of office personal (1 license), don't forget you can convert that to 13 months office home (5licenses for you and your family) for £8

Update on the battery issue, i found this and am trying it out, will report back on its success:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp...lume-mute-connected-standby-save-battery.html

(it's an automated task that disabled wifi and mutes the device whenever you enter sleep)

I finally went ahead and did this the other day. Laid my laptop down with 69% battery life, woke up 9 hours later and it was at 65%. I'd say that's a success since before it'd have been very very very dead.

Still haven't bought a phone/tablet clip yet... I want to I just can't seem to find any decent looking ones for DS3.

I've been surprised how well Galactic Civilizations 2 runs on it, it obviously doesn't have gesture controls, but the regular touch controls work perfectly.

Lagamorph

I'm using the official Sony one that they released for their Xperia phones. Works fine with my linx 7

And if it comes with a year of office personal (1 license), don't forget you can convert that to 13 months office home (5licenses for you and your family) for £8
I did see an official Sony one, the one with the suction cup? The stream looks to have a flat back so I could try that.

The more I read this thread the more I lean towards pulling the trigger. My 2012 Nexus 7 is starting to struggle performance wise with the latest CM release, plus the options of Steam streaming, along with the possibility of stuff like Civ 5 and Galactic Civilisations being portable is damn tempting. Not to mention the point and click possibilities...(though I do already use ScummVM on my Nexus)

And good recommendations on a decent case for when out and about? I've seen the official HP one but £20 for a case (over a quarter of the tablet cost) seems a bit excessive.

Lagamorph

So I've thought and thought and thought all day. And I think I've finally come to the decision that for now....I'm gonna leave it. Looking back through the thread (more than once) I just can't help shaking the feeling that whilst I'll like the tablet, I'll ultimately wish I'd held out for something with just that bit more punch, that slightly better processor and 2GB of RAM.

We'll see what 2015 holds, maybe a successor to the current HP Stream with those slightly punchier specs but still at a reasonable price.

drotahorror

Went ahead and ordered one but now I'm starting to regret it and I can't cancel.

Should have done a bit more research I guess.

The 3.5mm jack is trash and unlistenable? That would have been a deal breaker for me and I went to my order to cancel it but couldn't after reading that. I plan(ned) to use this tablet fairly often with headphones.

Also you can't transfer files over usb from PC to tablet?

I should have done more research, I normally do but I'm in a rush as something is coming up soon and this tablet would help me out.

*am reading a review from anandtech in december.

The 3.5mm jack is trash and unlistenable?

I disagree with this. It is by no means great, not even sure I'd call it good, but as long as you're not trying to listen to soft classical music or something, the buzz is barely noticeable. It's only unacceptable if you're trying to listen to something that has frequent quite or silent parts that are ruined by a buzz. For most video games and a lot of TV shows and movies, I doubt it'll bother you unless you're really sensitive to such things.

Ecto311

This device has a similar chip as the Asus x205 laptop. Anyone try that thing? I tried the stream 11 from HP and I don't know if it was just in some kind of lower power mode or what but just opening chrome or the minecraft demo would take almost a full minute to open and when used was choppy/unusable. Even the mouse would stutter across the screen.

I am in the market for a small cheap laptop but if that is all that is out there then I will forget about it for a long time. I have read good things about this tablet and considering it has a similar quad core processor I thought maybe this laptop would be a better solution than the celeron stream 11. Plus the asus gets 12hours to its battery so it seems even better than most chromebooks.

I ordered one, looking forward to receiving it.

I'm planning to play some of my Telltale games on it, particularly Puzzle Agent 1+2, Poker Night 1+2, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. Those should work well on here, right?

dLMN8R

Puzzle Agent yes, Poker Night maybe, not sure about the others though. The thing isn't very capable at 3D stuff and Telltale's stuff is notoriously poorly optimized.

drotahorror

You should be able to use an OTG cable to take care of that. They're pretty cheap on Amazon.

In the meantime I can easily transfer files via LAN right? Is there a program or app on the tablet that makes this easy? On android I'm used to doing that anyway with airdroid.

Can you recommend me an OTG cable? It seems there's different ones male/female and I'm not sure which one the HP stream 7 uses.

Also, since it uses a micro sd card, couldn't I just load it up with files from my card reader and then put it back in the tablet?

I disagree with this. It is by no means great, not even sure I'd call it good, but as long as you're not trying to listen to soft classical music or something, the buzz is barely noticeable. It's only unacceptable if you're trying to listen to something that has frequent quite or silent parts that are ruined by a buzz. For most video games and a lot of TV shows and movies, I doubt it'll bother you unless you're really sensitive to such things.

Thanks that's reassuring.

I'm still lookin forward to messin around with this. I've never used windows 8 and definitely never used a windows tablet.

This device has a similar chip as the Asus x205 laptop. Anyone try that thing? I tried the stream 11 from HP and I don't know if it was just in some kind of lower power mode or what but just opening chrome or the minecraft demo would take almost a full minute to open and when used was choppy/unusable. Even the mouse would stutter across the screen.

I am in the market for a small cheap laptop but if that is all that is out there then I will forget about it for a long time. I have read good things about this tablet and considering it has a similar quad core processor I thought maybe this laptop would be a better solution than the celeron stream 11. Plus the asus gets 12hours to its battery so it seems even better than most chromebooks.

The Celeron in the Stream 11 is faster than the Atom in the Asus and these laptops. You should be using modern IE with these devices, not chrome.

drotahorror

Can someone just clarify that there is atleast 1 other way of transferring files without the OTG cable? I had one ordered a few minutes ago but I can't justify paying $17 after 2 day shipping.

I'm thinking I could hook the sd card up to a card reader and transfer files to it? transfer files via LAN (if so, is there an app or something?)?

thanks.

Can someone just clarify that there is atleast 1 other way of transferring files without the OTG cable? I had one ordered a few minutes ago but I can't justify paying $17 after 2 day shipping.

I'm thinking I could hook the sd card up to a card reader and transfer files to it? transfer files via LAN (if so, is there an app or something?)?

thanks.

It's a full Windows PC. You can transfer files any which way you please. You should be able to get an OTG cable from EBay for a couple dollars, they cost like 99p here in the UK.

My Linx tablet can see all of my network drives just fine once I mapped them and I also use the OS integrated Onedrive storage all the time and yes, microSD is another option.

drotahorror

It's a full Windows PC. You can transfer files any which way you please. You should be able to get an OTG cable from EBay for a couple dollars, they cost like 99p here in the UK.

My Linx tablet can see all of my network drives just fine once I mapped them and I also use the OS integrated Onedrive storage all the time and yes, microSD is another option.

Thanks. Yeah the OTG cables are cheap but when I add 2 day shipping on amazon it shoots the price up to over $15. I'm in a bit of a hurry and need the 2 day shipping if I were to get one. Seems like I have some other options though. Thanks. No stores here to get one either.

Ecto311

The Celeron in the Stream 11 is faster than the Atom in the Asus and these laptops. You should be using modern IE with these devices, not chrome.

Why not chrome? I thought it was lighter weight than IE or firefox. The overall issue was not really the app but the fact that it would take ages to even load. Felt like the computer was running on a single core or something was wrong when I had it. Maybe Ill try it again and see if the power settings were keeping something throttled and slowed down.

nded

If it matters, I haven't heard any buzzing through the TW700's headphone jack like some people seem to have with the Stream 7.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not chrome? I thought it was lighter weight than IE or firefox. The overall issue was not really the app but the fact that it would take ages to even load. Felt like the computer was running on a single core or something was wrong when I had it. Maybe Ill try it again and see if the power settings were keeping something throttled and slowed down.

modern IE is the metro version and is better at running in low memory environments

Chrome would probably be horrible on a system with only 1GB RAM

hitgirl

Anyone know how to get gift card? My girlfriend went and got one, the store guy said it's in the box. She doesn't see it, I'm not really sure what the offer was. But I remember seeing a thread here about it.

edit- nvm found it by reading fine print online.

SystemUser

Anyone know how to get gift card? My girlfriend went and got one, the store guy said it's in the box. She doesn't see it, I'm not really sure what the offer was. But I remember seeing a thread here about it.

They send an email with an explanation and a link to the email you have attached to your Microsoft account. You have to click the link using the tablet itself.

You have to setup you Microsoft account to have a region. It doesn't just use your shipping address or you billing address or location information your internet connection. I ran into the same thing. That link might work for you. Otherwise click the icon on you name while signed into your Microsoft account and go to "edit details". Set your region to an eligible region.

https://account.live.com/SummaryPage.aspx?mkt=en-US

The post I quoted above and a few other have detailed instructions on how to get the $25 of Windows store credit. Basically you click a link in a email using the tablet, but there is more to it. My original post has some quotes that are not there so click it to see the full quotes.

hitgirl

The post I quoted above and a few other have detailed instructions on how to get the $25 of Windows store credit. Basically you click a link in a email using the tablet, but there is more to it. My original post has some quotes that are not there so click it to see the full quotes.

How do you get the email sent? I didn't get an email.

edit- ah nvm needed to put it in desktop mode.

SystemUser

How do you get the email sent? I didn't get an email.

edit- ah nvm needed to put it in desktop mode.

The email was sent to the email that you have on you Windows Live (Skype/MSN Messenger) account. When you bought it they send you the email.

You probably don't even need the email. Just log into you Windows Live account follow the instructions below:

HP Stream 7 Signature Edition Tablet - Additional Product Information:
To Redeem Windows Store Gift card please visit: http://www.Microsoft.com/HPStream
$25 Windows Store gift card must be redeemed by December 31, 2015. Customers have 90 days to spend their balance after redeeming the gift card.
Not redeemable on earlier versions of Windows and Windows Phone. Windows 8 users: Update to Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. For full terms and conditions of the offer, visit http://www.Microsoft.com/HPStream
One year Office 365 Personal subscription included ($69.99 value). Activation required within a limited time.
FREE: Up to 100 Free Skype Minutes - Additional Product Information:
Thanks for your recent purchase. To show our appreciation, we’re giving you a complimentary code for up to 100 free minutes of Skype calling.
To redeem your free Skype minutes, follow these easy steps:
Download Skype and register for free at www.skype.com/voucher.
Follow the online instructions to redeem your code.
Your Skype Credit balance will then update.
Start making calls.
If you have any issues redeeming your free Skype minutes, please contact us. For questions about how to use Skype, see Support Site.

So this is full Windows? I'm totally ignorant about Tablets and have never owned one, I just want a tablet that can play some small games and play media files. I might get this because damn that's cheap.

hitgirl

The email was sent to the email that you have on you Windows Live (Skype/MSN Messenger) account. When you bought it they send you the email.

You probably don't even need the email. Just log into you Windows Live account follow the instructions below:

HP Stream 7 Signature Edition Tablet - Additional Product Information:
To Redeem Windows Store Gift card please visit: http://www.Microsoft.com/HPStream
$25 Windows Store gift card must be redeemed by December 31, 2015. Customers have 90 days to spend their balance after redeeming the gift card.
Not redeemable on earlier versions of Windows and Windows Phone. Windows 8 users: Update to Windows 8.1 for free through the Windows Store. For full terms and conditions of the offer, visit http://www.Microsoft.com/HPStream
One year Office 365 Personal subscription included ($69.99 value). Activation required within a limited time.
FREE: Up to 100 Free Skype Minutes - Additional Product Information:
Thanks for your recent purchase. To show our appreciation, we’re giving you a complimentary code for up to 100 free minutes of Skype calling.
To redeem your free Skype minutes, follow these easy steps:
Download Skype and register for free at www.skype.com/voucher.
Follow the online instructions to redeem your code.
Your Skype Credit balance will then update.
Start making calls.
If you have any issues redeeming your free Skype minutes, please contact us. For questions about how to use Skype, see Support Site.

Cool, thanks! Do you know if I can use the money on the xbox live?

SystemUser

So this is full Windows? I'm totally ignorant about Tablets and have never owned one, I just want a tablet that can play some small games and play media files. I might get this because damn that's cheap.

Yes, this tablet runs Windows 8.1 (32 bit). Anything that you can install on Windows 8.1 can install on the tablet. The hardware is limitation. This is not some nerfed version of Windows like RT.

Cool, thanks! Do you know if I can use the money on the xbox live?

I am not 100% sure, but I think you can. I haven't redeemed mine yet, but I thought I read that somewhere in the fine print.

when you redeem the 25$ gift card do you get a code to apply or is it applied directly into the account when to go to the website to get the card the reason is I bought the tablet on a separate email that's not associated with my xbl so I want to redeem on a separate account?

Also would readyboost help the tablet at all like partitioning another section on an sd card?

SystemUser

when you redeem the 25$ gift card do you get a code to apply or is it applied directly into the account when to go to the website to get the card the reason is I bought the tablet on a separate email that's not associated with my xbl so I want to redeem on a separate account?

Also would readyboost help the tablet at all like partitioning another section on an sd card?

You get a 25 character code. I am not sure about readyboost.

drotahorror

Anyone have any suggestions on what to spend the $25 on? I wouldn't mind a game or two or some necessary apps. I'll get my stream 7 tomorrow.

The End

Skulls of the shogun works well as far as native touch games goes

The "stalgia" series of emulators (nestalgia, genstalgia, snestalgia, etc) are significantly more polished than the freebie ones like NESBOX

Cover and Comics Jolt are the two best comics readers i've found so far, well worth the $2 or whatever to unlock unlimited mode

dLMN8R

Anyone have any suggestions on what to spend the $25 on? I wouldn't mind a game or two or some necessary apps. I'll get my stream 7 tomorrow.

If you have an Xbox 360 or One you can use the credit on those, don't forget.

You can also use it to purchase music/movies from the Xbox Music and Xbox Video apps.

As for apps themselves I can highly recommend:

Tweetium for Twitter: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/tweetium/4071d364-44bf-47ce-9eb7-d527e6f182a2
Next Gen Reader for RSS: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/nextgen-reader/30648d7a-f0b5-4719-8ca9-7ed6ce3b4b9b
Torrex Pro for BitTorrent: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/torrex-pro/2c7ab58a-c991-4b31-b071-7152f5060e8b
Skulls of the Shogun: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/c919c1a7-ad5d-4423-9a30-32cf731c04d7

There are a lot of other games on there that are actually pretty good for tablets, but that's all based on your taste and preferences. Just take advantage of the free trials most of them offer.

Sliver

Anyone know the easiest way to stream video files from my computer to my tablet, over my network?

VLC requires setup each time for each video file, but I'm looking for something more like PS3 media server, where I can just scroll through the list of movies on my computer from my tablet.

dLMN8R

Anyone know the easiest way to stream video files from my computer to my tablet, over my network?

VLC requires setup each time for each video file, but I'm looking for something more like PS3 media server, where I can just scroll through the list of movies on my computer from my tablet.

I just use HomeGroups and directly pick video files through Explorer, but if you want something fancier and prettier definitely try out Plex:

https://plex.tv/
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/plex/647bfcf7-7f87-4a72-ad86-2e6274f969e3

Not free though.

drotahorror

Can anyone give me some tips on how to transfer files over wifi with this thing? Tryin to transfer some songs and whatnot from my PC to the tablet.

Ok I got the public folders thing setup and I can transfer them that way. What's the deal with all this homegroup stuff that I setup as well though?

Kevin

It's tempting to buy one of these or the WinBook TW700 and that's coming from someone who already owns an iPad 3rd gen. These just seem neat for the price range.

I heard talk awhile back about a newer model with a much faster Intel processor coming out (Cherry Trail). Anymore word on that yet?

drotahorror

Just use google drive or onedrive

That's just over the network right? I can drag it to the onedrive from my pc. And then drag onto the desktop or a folder on the tablet?

Also, last thing I want to know...is there anyway to only display mobile sites? I'm using IE and it never goes to mobile sites.

It's tempting to buy one of these or the WinBook TW700 and that's coming from someone who already owns an iPad 3rd gen. These just seem neat for the price range.

I heard talk awhile back about a newer model with a much faster Intel processor coming out (Cherry Trail). Anymore word on that yet?

I'll say again, the reason why these are so cheap right now is because Cherry Trail is so close, these are all basically being cleared out... Most of these devices are nearing a year old, but they were a lot less good of a deal when they were $200+. They are interesting now because they are cheap, you won't see Cherry Trail devices this cheap for likely another year or more.

Top Bottom