• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Stream 7 + $25 Windows Store gift card: $69.99; Portable gaming goodness

Ecto311

Is there a good list of games for this or lower end computers? I got torchlight running on the stream 13 with the dual celeron and 2gb ram and with tweaks to the settings it is running really well. I am surprised since it is coming off of a class 10 micro sd card.

Can I sort games on steam for requirements some how?

Chuy

Really been enjoying this little piece of hardware more then i expected. Really solid device though i have a few questions:
1.Can i possibly transfer apps to save on my sd card? Got a 64gb one that i've barely put a dent in it while the internal drive looks like it going to hit max real soon

2.Any recommended cases that have a kickstand to it?

3.Any necessary apps i should download for this?

drotahorror

derp. Was using IE in desktop mode no wonder it wouldn't use the mobile sites.

Actually no, it's still not displaying mobile sites. Any way to get this thing to show mobile versions of sites?

I'm using the IE app in metro but neogaf doesn't stay mobile version, neither does youtube.

Pooya

derp. Was using IE in desktop mode no wonder it wouldn't use the mobile sites.

Actually no, it's still not displaying mobile sites. Any way to get this thing to show mobile versions of sites?

I'm using the IE app in metro but neogaf doesn't stay mobile version, neither does youtube.

You have to change IE user agent string to a mobile browser, there is no other way to make it behave like one. For that you have to change some reg entry or easier through group policy editor. Google it there are lots of guides around but after you do that everything will open in mobile mode, applies to desktop IE also, you can't separate them... I guess on 7" that's not bad though.

drotahorror

Thanks. Guess if I get frustrated enough I'll do that. I can compromise for the time being I suppose.

Pretty slick tablet so far. Runs well and is pretty quick even though it has 1gb of ram. I tend to shut down things fairly often in the task manager though.

There is a little bit more leeway with the stream 7 than the 1 GB of ram let's you believe since it has a SSD for the main drive (IE where the page file is). It's, of course, not a great one and it's not a true replacement for ram, but it still works a lot better than a page file on a mechanical drive.

Would this run the Telltale games?

Depends on which ones you mean. I could give you a more thorough answer later today, but I imagine all the older ones for sure and likely the newer ones on lower settings... just not sure how you'd play something like GoT without also using a controller since I don't think the game has gesture support.

Chorazin

Man, this thing is just perfect for reading comic books! I loaded a few on here last night and I'm reading them between calls at work. :-D

Lemstar

Is there a way of getting a held right click input on this? I'd like to play Heroes 3 on it, but not being able to right click for info really gets in the way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way of getting a held right click input on this? I'd like to play Heroes 3 on it, but not being able to right click for info really gets in the way.

Does a two finger tap not do it? Have you tried with the mouse pointer app?

Maybe not the best solution if you are outside, but I just bought a cheap bluetooth mouse, works great and combined with a bluetooth keyboard it now is the cheapest netbook I ever had.

SystemUser

On the desktop a long press is a right click for me. I think there there might be more options in the Control Panel though.

Lemstar

Does a two finger tap not do it? Have you tried with the mouse pointer app?
Nope. I tried disabling hold for right click and it still didn't work.

On the desktop a long press is a right click for me. I think there there might be more options in the Control Panel though.
I need a held right click, not a right click.

There wasn't anything in Pen and Touch in the Control Panel that I could find.

Has there been any reason given for why the Flixster app won't download movies? I mean, it does so on the ipad, ipod, and android tablets but not in Windows 8.

omg_mjd

Thinking of picking up a Stream 7 today. The only thing holding me back is the audio issue but I stumbled upon a review that said it didn't affect all units (the reviewer didn't experience the problem at all).

Chuy

Thinking of picking up a Stream 7 today. The only thing holding me back is the audio issue but I stumbled upon a review that said it didn't affect all units (the reviewer didn't experience the problem at all).
The audio issue really isn't that bad really. Annoying but tolerable however for mine it completely went away once i turned up the volume to 20

Really been enjoying this little piece of hardware more then i expected. Really solid device though i have a few questions:
1.Can i possibly transfer apps to save on my sd card? Got a 64gb one that i've barely put a dent in it while the internal drive looks like it going to hit max real soon?
Anybody?

It really depends on how much (and where) you use the touch screen. It could also be that later models got improved shielding (I do know there are at least 2 models of the stream 7, since it asked which one of the two I had when I was looking for updated network drivers). I haven't tried mine out with headphones yet simply because I haven't felt the need to (and have none spare at present).

If all else fails, blutooth supposedly works well on them which would remove the poor shielding issue with the headphone jack.

It really depends on how much (and where) you use the touch screen. It could also be that later models got improved shielding (I do know there are at least 2 models of the stream 7, since it asked which one of the two I had when I was looking for updated network drivers). I haven't tried mine out with headphones yet simply because I haven't felt the need to (and have none spare at present).

If all else fails, blutooth supposedly works well on them which would remove the poor shielding issue with the headphone jack.
That's good to know with Bluetooth headphone, didn't even consider that.

Just received my HP Stream last week (couldn't resist). It is a really neat device, I have been enjoying it. All of the tips on this thread have been very helpful, too.

Going back to Bluetooth, I am hoping to get a BT keyboard and mouse for the Stream. I'm very unfamiliar with using BT - will any BT kb/m work with the tab? I have not been able to fine any reliable info regarding compatible peripherals with the Stream ... and as I mentioned, I have zero experience with BT.

I got my GF a Stream 7 a couple months ago, and I just got myself the WinBook TW700, and I'd have to cast my lot with the WinBook. A full sized USB in addition to the micro USB and a micro HDMI make all the difference in the world.

Hatchtag

Banned
Just got mine in the mail and its been frustrating as all hell so far. Hoping it gets better, but I'm already leaning towards returning it. It just doesn't do what I'd like it to do.

omg_mjd

I just got an Acer tablet instead with basically the same specs (Atom quad core and 1 GB RAM) because I wanted a larger 8 inch display. Loving it so far and Metro IE is surprisingly good, as are the other Metro apps that I tried. Too bad there's not enough of a selection. Spotify for example isn't available except on desktop.

Tried a few Steam games and the performance is great for the ones that meet the tablet's specs (2D indie games and older titles). Metro games like Asphalt 8 and Riptide GP2 perform especially well though, better than on my Android device.

Homegroup video streaming and file management is also flawless. Haven't tried Steam streaming yet though it looks like there's no setup required aside from installing Steam (and setting up Homegroup?) since all the games on my other PC show up on my tablet with the option to stream.

Anyway I'm glad this thread convinced me to give low-powered Windows tablets a try. Haven't had a 1 GB PC since 2009 lol. Is there a general thread btw?

SiteSeer

got my stream7 for a week or so, it's just 'okay'. decent screen, decent speed (but not as fast and responsive as my ipad/iphone), great price of course, ok for web browsing, youtubing. biggest downside is the battery, seems it only runs for about five hours of light duty before mine dies, i've had it charging overnight, unplug it and leave for a few hours and come back and its 70%, so it loses charge doing nothing. os is second biggest flaw, windows just is not ready for gestures/mobile or shall i say it is not nearly as polished as ios, maybe i'm too deep into the ios ecosystem but i find myself doing things i don't want with gestures swiping left/right/wherever. also windows has pared down the available actions and onscreen icons so much i find myself wondering how to do certain things on various apps of even if such functionality exists (coupled with there being no tutorial or guide, windows just assumes you know windows specific gestures and swipes already). next is the horrible headphone jack, yes it is as bad as everyone says, all static all the time, but for 80$ i can ignore it or drown it out with volume. i haven't tried media streaming to the tablet yet, finger's crossed its good.

Hatchtag

Banned
Trying to be less frustrated with this since I got some time before deciding how to return it. My big question right now is how the hell do I highlight text to copy and paste? iOS and Android both get it right, how come Windows doesn't? Or am I just an idiot and there's a good way to do it?

People need to stop comparing this to the iPad, this is an $80 tablet... If you have read into this hype expecting a top of the line tablet you will be disappointed.

I've personally owned another cheap Windows 8.1 tablet and this is miles better, it's as good as you'll get for the price.

SystemUser

Trying to be less frustrated with this since I got some time before deciding how to return it. My big question right now is how the hell do I highlight text to copy and paste? iOS and Android both get it right, how come Windows doesn't? Or am I just an idiot and there's a good way to do it?

Someone else in the thread was complaining about not being able to highlight text. I couldn't remember how and had to get it in front of me to figure it out.

If the text is uneditable (e.g. text in the body of a webpage) then you just click a word to highlight it. Handles will appear and you can drag the handles to highlight more.

If the text is in an editable text field then you click the word once to get the cursor adjacent to the word and you click it a second time to highlight the word. You can do this as a double click or two separate clicks. Handles will appear and you can drag them to highlight more.

To copy highlighted text long press the highlighted text until a box appears to trigger a right click. The context menu will let you copy.

notBald

The same way? I don't have the tablet in front of me, but coming from Android and iOS I had no trouble copy and pasting.

IIRC... press finger down on text, drag out to what you wish to copy, and press the copy icon.
Edit: SystemUser got it. Click the word, then drag out.
maybe i'm too deep into the ios ecosystem but i find myself doing things i don't want with gestures swiping left/right/wherever.

This is also true in reverse. I now do windows gestures on the iPad/Android.

got my stream7 for a week or so, it's just 'okay'. decent screen, decent speed (but not as fast and responsive as my ipad/iphone), great price of course, ok for web browsing, youtubing. biggest downside is the battery, seems it only runs for about five hours of light duty before mine dies, i've had it charging overnight, unplug it and leave for a few hours and come back and its 70%, so it loses charge doing nothing. os is second biggest flaw, windows just is not ready for gestures/mobile or shall i say it is not nearly as polished as ios, maybe i'm too deep into the ios ecosystem but i find myself doing things i don't want with gestures swiping left/right/wherever. also windows has pared down the available actions and onscreen icons so much i find myself wondering how to do certain things on various apps of even if such functionality exists (coupled with there being no tutorial or guide, windows just assumes you know windows specific gestures and swipes already). next is the horrible headphone jack, yes it is as bad as everyone says, all static all the time, but for 80$ i can ignore it or drown it out with volume. i haven't tried media streaming to the tablet yet, finger's crossed its good.

The solution to the battery issue is here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152816993&postcount=334 Not just for the stream, but all windows 8 tablets. They don't disable wifi by default in stand by and it drains like a mofo.

As for gestures... it took a little while to get used to... but really it's fairly simple. The part that confused me was that windows settings (swipe from the right side of the screen towards the middle) also contains all of the settings for the currently in-use app. Once I got that down, everything else was a breeze (oh and that closing an app you have to hold your finger on the top middle of the screen and slide it down to the bottom middle).

I'm not a fan of all of these devices with 1 physical button and everything else is gesture, which is why I still prefer most Android devices which still have the 4 buttons... but at least the gestures make sense once I got them down.

Not sure if my stream 7 that not even a week old is dead or not but now its stuck in the Hp BOIS update screen in and does nothing after that.. any help would be welcome Thanks

Hatchtag

Banned
The solution to the battery issue is here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152816993&postcount=334 Not just for the stream, but all windows 8 tablets. They don't disable wifi by default in stand by and it drains like a mofo.

As for gestures... it took a little while to get used to... but really it's fairly simple. The part that confused me was that windows settings (swipe from the right side of the screen towards the middle) also contains all of the settings for the currently in-use app. Once I got that down, everything else was a breeze (oh and that closing an app you have to hold your finger on the top middle of the screen and slide it down to the bottom middle).

I'm not a fan of all of these devices with 1 physical button and everything else is gesture, which is why I still prefer most Android devices which still have the 4 buttons... but at least the gestures make sense once I got them down.

I don't know about that. For whatever reason my HP Stream doesn't download things while in standby by default, which id irritating as all hell. Wanted to test some games on it today, but now I can't.

Hatchtag

Banned
Yes that's annoying, I told mine not to go into standby when charging, then I just let downloads go with the screen on.

Is there anyway to fix this? There's no way leaving the screen on for so long while things download is good for the system.
Also, trying to get some controllers I have to work with the stream. Anyone know the best way to go about using:
Classic Controller with Wii Remote
Gamecube Controller (I've got the adapter, if I got some sort of usb to micro usb solution, would this work?)
Playstation Move Controller

Hatchtag

Banned
How does Dolphin run on this. Specifically Super Smash Bros Melee. Anyone?

Can't speak for Melee (I'm having trouble getting a controller to work with it, and just letting the game run leaves it stuck at asking about a memory card), but Nightfire was running at around 15 FPS iirc. Doesn't seem like it'd be the best solution for running gamecube games.

If you're looking for a tablet-like Gamecube Experience, using a wireless controller with a Wii U and Nintendon't is a much better option currently.

SiteSeer

...snip...

thanks for that tip, but see this is why windows is so far behind ios/android in portables. this is is the kind of thing that should have been noticed in testing, like leaving the wifi on while in sleep mode drains 50% battery in a few hours. and the solution is some kind of scheduler hack that only maybe a handful of users will implement, let alone the mass market that ms needs to really win market share and compete against apple and google. as for windows specific gestures that, i or any user can get used to, but something so important like preserving battery life should be build in on the ground floor. yikes, ms.

dLMN8R

thanks for that tip, but see this is why windows is so far behind ios/android in portables. this is is the kind of thing that should have been noticed in testing, like leaving the wifi on while in sleep mode drains 50% battery in a few hours. and the solution is some kind of scheduler hack that only maybe a handful of users will implement, let alone the mass market that ms needs to really win market share and compete against apple and google. as for windows specific gestures that, i or any user can get used to, but something so important like preserving battery life should be build in on the ground floor. yikes, ms.

You're talking about a $70 device. This doesn't happen on flagship devices, especially not a Surface Pro 3 (or even the original Surface RT).

The main reason is that they cheap out on the type of ram they use. Motherboard layout, ram quality, and other hardware parts have enormous effect on standby battery life. Especially ram, since cheap ram sucks power like crazy in standby.

Joe

is this a good tablet for a mom who just uses google and youtube?

my mom is using a piece of crap (by todays standards) hp touchpad and she enjoys it but its starting to act up all the time.

It's $80 dude... You're expecting the world from a mouse. There are no $80 android or iOS tablets with the specs this thing has, there are bound to be draw backs to it.

How does Dolphin run on this. Specifically Super Smash Bros Melee. Anyone?

If you're going to try emulating gamecube on this you're going to be sorely disappointed. It has neither the CPU nor GPU to do any game justice, and even if it did the amount of heat and battery drain would make it rather fruitless.

Lower your expectations, this is still a $80 tablet. Think N64, 2D arcade games, think perfect for streaming (youtube and twitch play at silky 60fps on videos that support it), think Steam in-home streaming (you may be able to get dolphin to work like this through your main PC), and finally think Hearthstone.

is this a good tablet for a mom who just uses google and youtube?

my mom is using a piece of crap (by todays standards) hp touchpad and she enjoys it but its starting to act up all the time.

Yep, even 60fps videos work wonderful via hypertube on it.

The quad core 1.3-1.8 these tablets use are rather good but also rather bad, depends on what you try to get out of the thing.

From experiance with my linx 10 you are going to get emulation for old devices running fine, a bunch of 2D or older games on steam run fine, flash video will really heat up the processor but that's because flash video is dog shit, youtube runs like butter especially when using html5 video.

Web browsing is alright, sometimes firefox will take a moment to get up to speed but it's usually alright, displays all the web pages I have looked at without any errors since it's using a fully functional browser and not a mobile version.

The quad core 1.3-1.8 these tablets use are rather good but also rather bad, depends on what you try to get out of the thing.

From experiance with my linx 10 you are going to get emulation for old devices running fine, a bunch of 2D or older games on steam run fine, flash video will really heat up the processor but that's because flash video is dog shit, youtube runs like butter especially when using html5 video.

Web browsing is alright, sometimes firefox will take a moment to get up to speed but it's usually alright, displays all the web pages I have looked at without any errors since it's using a fully functional browser and not a mobile version.

I love my firefox, but it tends to eat a lot more memory than IE or Chrome. Usually better to stick with one of those two. Docking Youtube on the left and IE on the right in metro UI is actually quite pleasant.

drotahorror

Bought a pack of stylus's and they work great on my other tablet.

But they're garbage on this one. Hardly ever any response unless I push harder than I should have to.

Any way to increase the sensitivity?

Also, web pages scroll way too slow (gaf), I tried changing the inertia to lower values in the registry (there was about 4 or 5 of them listed in different wisp folders) and that didn't change anything either.

I plugged my headphones in and the noise is REALLY BAD. It's not just some slight buzzing, it's a loud and noticable static sound.

drotahorror

I plugged my headphones in and the noise is REALLY BAD. It's not just some slight buzzing, it's a loud and noticable static sound.

Using a pair of $20 jlab earbuds and haven't noticed it. Maybe a slight hum but it's not annoying at all. Sounds like it's just up to luck.

omg_mjd

Haven't been interested in Hearthstone before but gave it a try after getting a Windows tablet and it plays great! The installer warns that it requires 2GB RAM but so far I got through the tutorial missions and built my first custom deck without any hitch. As much as I enjoy playing games on my tablet with a gamepad it feels more immediate to be able to play touchscreen-friendly games. The only other touch games in my library are Papers Please and Sword & Sworcery. Visual novels work great too.

Unfortunately Steam in-home streaming is a bust for me. I have an 802.11N router and the host PC is hooked up to it via ethernet but the Steam client complains about a slow network even if I try playing right next to the router so I ended up just turning the feature off. :(

I have an 802.11N router and the host PC is hooked up to it via ethernet but the Steam client complains about a slow network even if I try playing right next to the router so I ended up just turning the feature off. :(

I have the same problem. I can stream to my other computer, but the HP Stream won't have any part of it :(

I've been eyeing this thread for so long, I think I need to just bite the bullet and buy one of these.

Let's say I'm willing to spend a bit more money, though. Is there a more capable tablet for playing my Steam library on the go? Surface is obvious, but I'm thinking no more than $250-300.

I'm just asking if anyone might know off-hand, if you own one or whatever. If a few extra bucks equals better performance, I'd be happy to splurge, but I know nothing about these things and don't want to throw more money towards something if it isn't a significant difference.

Been having trouble streaming Xbox movies. The movie will start and then crash the system. Very weird.

Anyone else having this problem? I haven't tried streaming Netflix, etc., it may be just Xbox movies related.

Top Bottom