• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Best Buy video game clearance (Early reports are a mixed bag)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't even really want any of this stuff, but I'm usually bored on my lunchbreak and there's a BB right next door, so I'll see what they've got.

MrDaravon

My Bestbuy didn't have a single thing of note off that list. The only thing I was really looking for was Oblivion CE, but they haven't had that since the game first came out, so I'm not going to bother heading back tomorrow on the slight chance they pulled it before this morning for a clearance bin tommorrow. I think people are going to be really disappointed tommorrow :lol

If someone does actually come up with an Oblivion CE I'd be willing to pay for it though.

People are most definitely going to be disappointed. Check online for store availability before heading over there. Best Buy ITSELF uses their webpage to determine inventory.

MrDaravon

Thespis721 said:
People are most definitely going to be disappointed. Check online for store availability before heading over there. Best Buy ITSELF uses their webpage to determine inventory.

The Best Buy store locater thing is notoriously inaccurate. Every single time without fail if the website says they have it, I go over there and they don't. The website says they don't have it, they have 10. It's been brought up on other forums so it's not just my store, so don't take it as gospel truth.

Besides, if all these titles have been discontinued, they're no longer going to be on the website (the few I looked for weren't).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SailorDaravon said:
The Best Buy store locater thing is notoriously inaccurate. Every single time without fail if the website says they have it, I go over there and they don't. The website says they don't have it, they have 10. It's been brought up on other forums so it's not just my store, so don't take it as gospel truth.

Besides, if all these titles have been discontinued, they're no longer going to be on the website (the few I looked for weren't).
I've bought all of my games at Best Buy for the past couple of years, since I have a Reward Zone card - I frequently use the in-store locator, and I've never known it be wrong (not just for games, but also DVDs, electronics, etc). If a game isn't on the shelves, I just ask someone and they'll run in back and get a copy.

thirty

Banned
does this officially start monday? because i went today and had them price check 4 items from the list and none of them were discounted. even odder some things that were listed were already marked down.

Tarazet

Wario64 said:
Stickied....seriously? I think this clearance sale is gonna become a bust for the majority here

It's going to be a bust for everyone. If I can't even find anything good, then you might as well just stay home, unless your store is in some remote part of Maine or something.

Many people have bought games already in the hope of getting it price matched later. What if it turns out to be wrong? What if there is no sale? List hasn't been posted officially by Best Buy. They can change plan anytime, right? That would be fun. :lol :lol :lol

I'm still gonna give it a try tomorrow when stores open for DS games.

MirageDwarf said:
Many people have bought games already in the hope of getting it price matched later. What if it turns out to be wrong? What if there is no sale? List hasn't been posted officially by Best Buy. They can change plan anytime, right? That would be fun. :lol :lol :lol

I'm still gonna give it a try tomorrow when stores open for DS games.

as long as they don't open the games they can just return them and get a refund.

Drakken

MirageDwarf said:

Then you return them?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Does Best Buy even pricematch their own clearance sales? My Best Buy is so bitchy when it comes to price matching. They're probably the worst place for me to price match.

I can see them dumping a lot of those games, but you'd think they'd keep the retro-collections and the greatest hits version of games on the shelf. Those things don't really have a shelf-life per se.

And some of the games are fairly recent and I thought were still selling okay. Like Monster Hunter Freedom - that's only like 6-7 months old. OTOH, my local Best Buy has a bunch of unsold Generations of Chaos still for full price. And why would they clear out Madden now, instead of the mid summer? People miss football in the spring.

And really, why not just take the games from the shelves, dump them in a big bin with a half price sticker? How much effort is that?

Not that I really care, even though most of this will end up on ebay rather than with gamers, but still, seems odd.

Sean

Banned
You guys are crazy if you think you'll find anything decent (or anything at all even).

This deal has been posted all over the internet - Cheapassgamer, Digg, Fatwallet, every deal site, every gaming forum... whatever games they do have will be gone in minutes. There will be one guy of course who buys up everything just to sell for a profit.

livestOne

So I think I'll finally use this chance to buy Ninja Gaiden. My frustration at trying to beat it will be softened by the fact that I only payed 2 bucks for it. :lol

B.K.

Circuit City is supposed to match prices, but I wonder if they would without a sales paper showing the new prices.

vatstep

B.K. said:
Circuit City is supposed to match prices, but I wonder if they would without a sales paper showing the new prices.
Not a chance. Not only because there's no documented proof, but because this is a clearance, and not a sale.

Sean said:
You guys are crazy if you think you'll find anything decent (or anything at all even).

This deal has been posted all over the internet - Cheapassgamer, Digg, Fatwallet, every deal site, every gaming forum... whatever games they do have will be gone in minutes. There will be one guy of course who buys up everything just to sell for a profit.

I've been looking for Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Monster Hunter, Gradius Collection and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins (all PSP) for the past couple weeks, and NONE of the Best Buy stores had them in stock. I think anyone who is able to find just a couple of the games on that list will be extremely lucky.

livestOne

Aw man my bestbuy didn't have any of those games. Also like I expected there were a bunch of people hanging around the door and sitting in the parking lot when I got there. Granted I've never gotten there this early and I don't know if this is normal or not.

Ford Prefect said:
These games should be visibly marked down, correct? I don't need to memorize what I might want, or print off the list?
you'd think so but no they didn't change the sticker price on any of the games.

Vicious

I just got back from mine. They put orange dots on all the clearance games instead of changing the prices. Wasn't much there, though.

MrDaravon

hahahaha, early reports from CAG are that there was a bunch of people there at opening at most places, but there was practically no games at all if anything. Why on earth did this get stickied?

Just got back. There were 10+ people, some with printouts of the list, combing what was there. I didn't see anything good so I just picked up VF5. At checkout, apparently some games were still ringing up as full price. One guy brought GTA: San Andreas up and it still rang in at 19.99. Suckers.

I got there a half hour after opening because I had class, and there was no sign whatsoever of any clearance games. Thanks for the heads-up, internet.

Aeon712

Well that was fun, soon as we opened the doors a bunch of people rushed in and destroyed my gaming department :(. They all had lists and took whatever they could get their hands on. I have to go clean up now :(.

Meier

Maybe I can run over during lunch.. BB is about 10-15 mins away, but I could do it I suppose.

Edit: Sounds like it was a bust.. any Tallahassee peeps check out the one on Apalachee?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SailorDaravon said:
hahahaha, early reports from CAG are that there was a bunch of people there at opening at most places, but there was practically no games at all if anything. Why on earth did this get stickied?
:lol I ****ing knew it

Previous Best Buy sales, I'd go immediately after seeing a list and I'd be lucky to find more than 5 games on the shelves. That's when nobody has gone to check the Best Buys

Hahahahah I bet alot of people thought they were gonna clean up today. Hahauhaauhauahuahuhuhua

Went in....They had maybe 4 of the games marked down (instock)

One guy had already got about 10 games @ 1.99 before I got there. It sucked badly..

Whats upsetting is that they had 100 copies of Oblivion @ 59.99, and no CEs

I hate Europe. :(
Why don't we have Best Buy-stores here and have to pay a shitload of money for shitty and old games instead? :(

I wanna pay less for good games. :(

The only game I found that was even $1.99 was Super Monkey Ball GCN. Unfortunatley its too late to go back, I didnt pick it up (Forgot it was)

Otherwise, there was NOTHING worth noting about. Might as well as sit this one out, folks.

angelfly

I got there 5 minutes before they opened and there was only 4 others waiting outside. Long story short it was a total waste of time. They didn't have anything.

Costanza

Banned
I did good - 7 PS2 games and a PSP game for 20 bucks with tax

How's killer7? Looks pretty fun but I know nothing about it.

mikeGFG

Banned
Sucks for the many people who couldn't find squat this morning

Oh well. Upon looking for any 'clearance' titles yesterday, I did find Metal Gear Ac!d 2 for 15. Score?

Toledo Best Buy on Monroe St. didn't have shit. I did manage to find GTA:SA and Nanobreaker, but they both rang up full price. Oh well, I wasn't expecting anything anyway.

BuddyC

I arrived just as a two resellers, complete with printed list and someone on the phone double-checking prices, were combing the place over. In all, I think they scored about five or six copies of Full Auto and one or two copies of Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires.

I didn't come away with much -- Full Auto, Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, Star Wars Episode III -- but they also had Kim Possible: What's the Switch? (at full price), which I've been leisurely searching for, so it wasn't a complete bust.

Too bad they didn't have Daxter, that's all I was really hoping for. If anyone's up for a trade, let me know.

Drek

Mike G.E.D. said:
Sucks for the many people who couldn't find squat this morning

Oh well. Upon looking for any 'clearance' titles yesterday, I did find Metal Gear Ac!d 2 for 15. Score?
It was $7.99 at TRU a few months ago.

Just got back, got Daxter and MGS3: Sub (only copy they had). None of the 360 games, one one other PS2 game (Maximo v. AoZ) no DS games, and no GC games on sale. About four different PSP titles, of which there were about 5 copies each. A guy was going through the isles with a full print out grabbing everything on sale, but he was cool enough to give us dibs if we wanted to look through his cart. Nothing I hadn't already gotten or owned previously, so I beat feet.

Pretty "meh" clearance.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I found a bunch of copies of NBA Shootout 2005, but didn't think it was worth the weird looks and trouble in trying to get something back from them. Would Gamestop even accept that shit, at this point?

Meier

Ford Prefect said:
I found a bunch of copies of NBA Shootout 2005, but didn't think it was worth the weird looks and trouble in trying to get something back from them. Would Gamestop even accept that shit, at this point?

Game stores won't even give more than a buck or two for the most recent year's editions, let alone one from a few years ago. I tried to trade in Madden 06 for the 360 and it was worth like 2 bucks.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wario64 said:
:lol I ****ing knew it

Previous Best Buy sales, I'd go immediately after seeing a list and I'd be lucky to find more than 5 games on the shelves. That's when nobody has gone to check the Best Buys

Hahahahah I bet alot of people thought they were gonna clean up today. Hahauhaauhauahuahuhuhua

Back before CAG became such a huge community, these kinds of sales weren't as well known so it was great having the time to pick through the clearances. Now I don't even bother since everybody knows about the sales days in advance. Employees have already taken the good stuff, I'll have to fight off other bargain hunters, and there's a real possibility of wasting my time and getting nothing for it. All to save $10-20 on a game? Nah, it's not worth it for me anymore.

Top Bottom