• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Best Buy video game clearance (Early reports are a mixed bag)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Bust?! Depends on what store you went to and what you were looking for. We went to the smaller Best Buy near my house first and came out with:

Sonic Heroes
The Sims
Final Fantasy IV Advance
DBZ: Bodukai 3
Splinter Cell
Suikoden V
Mario Tennis Power Tour
Naurto Ninja Council
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Driver: Parallel Lines

Then we went to the larger Best Buy that is about the same distance away and...NOTHING. This one had a lot more people at it, and still next to nothing on the shelves.

The smaller stores we went to (Techridge for anyone living in Austin) had about 5 people there at open. 3 soccer moms, and two guys looking around. No huge resellers grabbing anything and everything, although some people did have lists.

And the Techridge store still had more stuff that I wasn't even interested in, so my girlfriend and I have come out of this very happy. Nothing mindblowing like Ridge Racer 6, but we got some fairly solid buys, and the ones that are iffy were only $1.99...so I think the sticky is very welcome. :)

The only game I wanted to snag and lost out on was Jak 3. And I actually got there in time for that, but I was being all weird and didnt pick up one of the 8 copies they still had, I go around to the GBA to look and by the time I came back Jak had split.

This was a horribly kept secret, how do old people that don't speak english end up with a list. :lol

I wasn't able to get the ones I really wanted but I did get:

Burnout 3
Hot Shots Golf 3
Onimusha 2
Super Monkey Ball 2
Capcom Classics Collection

I saw people with huge hauls, I got there late cause a damn test I have (damn education interfering with my gaming again!). The BB at dadeland actually had most the games set aside in a basket which was very nice.

No Advance Wars though :(

Raw64life

Got to my local Best Buy @ 10:30. Wasn't really looking for anything in particular and I wanted to pick up Sonic Wii anyway, so I took a look around. Nothing. I ask a guy about the clearance sale. He tells me there isn't one. Idiot. I ask a second guy. He tells me he thinks it's online only. I ask a third guy. He tells me the clearance games should have orange dots on them, so I take another look. Nothing except a handful of PSP and GBA games that aren't even worth $2. I asked the guy if there were a lot of people here at opening and he said not really. He reassured me that there weren't many games available on clearance to begin with. So I grabbed Sonic and left. Clearance am fail total, at my Best Buy atleast.

Speevy

Banned
I went today. The only game they had was DDR3 for the Xbox.

I tried to get them to sell me Oblivion for $9.99 (non-CE) but they wouldn't do it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Raw64life said:
Got to my local Best Buy @ 10:30. Wasn't really looking for anything in particular and I wanted to pick up Sonic Wii anyway, so I took a look around. Nothing. I ask a guy about the clearance sale. He tells me there isn't one. Idiot. I ask a second guy. He tells me he thinks it's online only. I ask a third guy. He tells me the clearance games should have orange dots on them, so I take another look. Nothing except a handful of PSP and GBA games that aren't even worth $2. I asked the guy if there were a lot of people here at opening and he said not really. He reassured me that there weren't many games available on clearance to begin with. So I grabbed Sonic and left. Clearance am fail total, at my Best Buy atleast.

Damn, sounds like they don't know jack. This sale was pretty easy to navigate for me down here since the stores we went to actually had price cards for all the games. All the clearance games weren't together, but they had the $1.99, $4.99, and $9.99 prices listed above them.

seat

I went to my local BB in Leesburg, VA, and I didn't see any clearance-marked games. I asked the guy who was monitoring the door, and he said the clearance was just a rumor. I have the feeling that I was being lied to.

edit: Called and talked to a store manager. The guy said he had heard nothing about this, even though I told him that information about the clearance was being spread across the internet. I told him specifically, "I really hope I'm not being lied to about this."

seat said:
I went to my local BB in Leesburg, VA, and I didn't see any clearance-marked games. I asked the guy who was monitoring the door, and he said the clearance was just a rumor. I have the feeling that I was being lied to.

They are not going to be marked, you need to scan them to see the price. I got a 5 $2 games, it was not a rumor.

Zoe

Grizzlyjin said:
The smaller stores we went to (Techridge for anyone living in Austin) had about 5 people there at open. 3 soccer moms, and two guys looking around. No huge resellers grabbing anything and everything, although some people did have lists.

I think I saw you there. I was a girl with a list helping a tall guy :)

I also went to the Arboretum and made out with the following:

Ape Escape Academy
FFIV Advance
Go! Sudoku
Monster Hunter Freedom
Virtua Tennis
Worms

I would have gone to more, but I'm sitting in class right now. The thing that sucks for me is we had already bought a bunch of the games at the 25% off clearance at the Round Rock location. I'm going to have to try to get those price adjusted later today.

Swung by on lunch, absolutely nothing of the 15 or so titles I was looking for. Had them check inventory for some of the 360 games and nothing in the computer. No big loss, was in the area anyway.

My friend and I made a list of 31 games we potentially wanted. We walked out with 6 (5 of mine, 1 of his). Two of the ones I really wanted, though, I got:

Final Fantasy IV Advance
Katamari Damacy (< and ^ were the ones I really wanted)
Suikoden V
Killer 7
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Sonic Heroes

The Best Buy near me is very small, though, and has limited stock. I guess I was lucky.

Varshes

Sent my wife in the morning, she said there was a line and sounded nervous on the phone (lol). She said the staff were saying there was no sale...but she found a few 4.99 games she picked up anyway, like Megaman Battle Network 6.

BlazeDSM

Best Buy in Tampa, sucks! Decided to go a half hour early before work and the rep said that they didn't have any of the games in stock...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I had class this morning and couldn't go but told a few friends about it.

Apparently they had nothing, judging by the irate voicemails I had when I got out of class. Something about "I could have been sleeping in" and "I hope your tires arent slashed overnight" and etc.

edit:
BlazeDSM said:
Best Buy in Tampa, sucks!

Ha, were you at the Citrus Park store? Thats where all my friends went :lol

Bishman

Ugh. What a waste of time. Best Buy in Houston didn't have anything. All I saw was a bunch of Jade Empire and sport games. Damn!

Rorschach

So I went to Woodland Hills BB just to have a look. Got there 2 mins after 10 and everything was gone. :lol There were people with lists, but they were empty handed too. I saw a couple of people with purchases in their hands looking through the cages. The best thing I saw was a female employee looking through the cage with the list of clearance games in her hand. Guess she got there late and all the other employees had already snapped everything up. :lol

I'd go to Porter Ranch, but **** it! BB around here suck nards.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I was at BB about 15 minutes ago to pick up some DVDs (I'll get into that later) and there were three or four people there with lists. :lol at showing up three hours late with a list and actually thinking you'll get anything. Some of them were so hopeful too; "Alright, well lets see if they have any of the 360 games," I overheard from one guy.

Anywho, if anyone's going to BB still, the B1G1 SE DVDs from last week (that are $9.99 this week) are STILL ringing up as buy one, get one free. I got Shawshank Redemption and True Romance for $10, which I thought was a mistake at first, but apparently others have gotten in on the deal too. There are some other great titles too.. Seven, Heat, Goodfellas, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, King Kong, etc.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=493592

Best Buy in Montclair, CA had virtually nothing. FFXI for 360 was around and we were able to find Super Monkey Ball and Capcom Classics Collection (Xbox and PS2). Classics Collection was honored at the advertised $4.99 price and super monkey ball was supposed to be 1.99 but they had that at 4.99 so I passed on it. A bunch of people, possibly around 15 or so waiting outside before the store opened. We got hosed.

-Rogue5-

dfyb said:
grand total: $4.31

$4 for NG? That ain't not no good!

I'm glad I had to work today after reading the most recent replies.

I always come up empty when I go to Best Buy looking for clearance stuff. Failure without fail. Even online my orders get canceled (and usually they don't even email you!).

*looks a couple pages back for any IT IS NICE success stories

mollipen

Got to the Best Buy closer to me around 10:15, and the place was pretty must devestated. There was a girl putting the new price stickers on games, so we talked as I followed her for a bit, and I snatched a couple games as she corrected the prices (the only list I had was of what I really wanted) so that I would at least be able to say I had gotten something. I ended up getting two games as trade fodder: I really don't like doing that, because I'd rather leave games for people who really want them, but I broke my rule.

PSP Capcom Classics Collection $2
PSP Legend of Heroes 2 $2
NDS King Kong $2
GCN Crash Tag Team Racing $2

As I left, I tried to decide if I really wanted to check another store or not, as I expected to find the same kind of thing. I thought, and thought, and then decided what the hell. I didn't expect to find anything, but the store isn't as popular as the one I was just at, and they do occasionally have good stuff left when the other local Best Buys don't.

Boy am I glad I went. Half the list of the games I was wanting were there, and there was actually a decent amount of decent stuff left, so it was totally worth the trip.

GBA Spy Hunter/Super Sprint $2
NDS Harvest Moon $10
GNC Harvest Moon: Magical Melody $10
PSP Valkyrie Profile $10
NDS Pac Pix $2
XBX Marc Ecko's Getting Up $2
NDS Trace Memory $2
NGC Pikmin 2 $2

So, walking out of there, I was in a great mood, as I got some great games for cheap and I ended up getting far more of my want list than I had ever expected to. But, the deals day wasn't over yet - I walked into the WalMart next door, and walked out with 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime for $35. So, great bargain day for me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
stopped by for lack of anything better to do, and picked up fm4 and nanobreaker (OK MAYBE FOR $2 BUT FU ANYWAY IGA). dunno when i'll find the time to play them, but $4, the thrill of paging through the racks, etc.

edit: just realized that i already have fm4. :lol $6 shipped if anyone wants it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PSP Capcom Classics Collection $2
PSP Legend of Heroes 2 $2
NDS King Kong $2
GCN Crash Tag Team Racing $2
I know it was only $2 but, come on, King Kong on DS is so bad that you should be the one receiving the money to play it.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
shidoshi said:
NGC Pikmin 2 $2
I am absurdly envious that you actually found a copy. This was the only game that I really wanted and if you bought an extra one I'm willing to paypal plenty extra than what you paid. :)

Zoe

RoboJ said:
Greatest Hits skus don't apply? I found a Super Monkey Ball (GCN) and GTA:San Andreas and both were regular price.

To my knowledge, most PS2 red labels share the SKUs as the originals. I don't know about the other systems though.

mollipen

JohnTinker said:
I am absurdly envious that you actually found a copy. This was the only game that I really wanted and if you bought an extra one I'm willing to paypal plenty extra than what you paid. :)

They had a truckload of them, so it's possible that I could snag an extra one. The problem is, the Best Buy they were at is a good ways away from where I live. If you seriously would want a copy, though, drop me a PM.

mollipen

dark10x said:
I know it was only $2 but, come on, King Kong on DS is so bad that you should be the one receiving the money to play it.

Like I said, I bought two games just for trade fodder. It's pretty obvious that that would be one of them. *heh*

Cravis

My Best Buys suck. They always have nothing during the sales. It all evens out since I get the good stuff at the Circuit City and Game Rush sales. There's a GR 50% sale starting soo and I have my eye on the PS2 HD with FFXI.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I just got back and found Splinter Cell: PT at 9.99 so I asked the chick at the register to check the price and she said it was accurate. I mentioned how I heard about some clearance sale and she then pulls this 10 page list out of the garbage and she's like "Yeah, some guy threw this away after he left." So I took the list and started lookin around and the guy actually working in Media today sees me and is like "Yeah, dude, you're too late." I tell him what's up and he's like "Yeah, we had a line of Ebayers waiting at the door when we opened today."

Man, I ****ing hate Ebayers. I still got Madden 07 HOF edition for 10 bucks, but damn... I was really hoping to find a copy of Beatmania bundle.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
drohne said:
stopped by for lack of anything better to do, and picked up fm4 and nanobreaker (OK MAYBE FOR $2 BUT FU ANYWAY IGA). dunno when i'll find the time to play them, but $4, the thrill of paging through the racks, etc.

edit: just realized that i already have fm4. :lol $6 shipped if anyone wants it.

Dude, Nanobreaker? Ugh.

FU IGA

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously. Nanobreaker doesn't even have a good soundtrack to back up the awful action. Piece of shit total. I also saw it there and quickly passed over it. Bleh.

Most of the games they had on sale were games I did not want so I walked away with nothing. They did have MGS3-S for $9.99 (a great deal for those who don't own it).

Triz

No luck at the Roseville Best buy today. then again I strolled in an hour after opening not expecting to find anything.

RSLAEV

What a friggin joke. I was there with 5 other dissapointed nerds scoured those shelves right at 10 am and came out mostly empty handed. I managed to snag a copy of Romancing saga for 10 bux and The Suffering: Ties that bind for $1.99.

There had to be some dodgy stuff going on though, I mean there's no way in hell they should have been out of some of those games. One guy who came in said he checked a couple days earlier and a lot of the stuff he wanted was there-but at store opening day of the sale they dissappeared...

Cravis

RSLAEV said:
What a friggin joke. I was there with 5 other dissapointed nerds scoured those shelves right at 10 am and came out mostly empty handed. I managed to snag a copy of Romancing saga for 10 bux and The Suffering: Ties that bind for $1.99.

There had to be some dodgy stuff going on though, I mean there's no way in hell they should have been out of some of those games. One guy who came in said he checked a couple days earlier and a lot of the stuff he wanted was there-but at store opening day of the sale they dissappeared...
People more than likely bought ahead of time and price matched today.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Aeon712 said:
:lol You sound like a guy at my store after he saw a guy with like 5copies of King Kong.
It's like there's a lot of people like me who get boned when all we want to do is play cheap ass games. Beatmania bundle for 5 bucks? That's just awesome and I couldn't get it while I'm one of the few people who would actually buy it to play it. I mean, I know it's not unethical or anything but hording cheap ass games so your grubby little grease-stained fingers can pawn them off on ebay-rats and make 3 bucks a sale is so against the spirit of gaming.

If I ever own a store and start putting stuff on clearance, I'm making a rule that for the first week you can't buy more than one copy of any clearance item. After that, have away at it. My store will be revered by gamers and all those having an association with it will get an instant tag on NeoGAF for being so cool. :lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
Ugh, nothing at the BB in Pittsburgh. Realistically I knew they wouldn't have anything since it's a very busy store, but it was worth the check I guess.

Stealth

Gainesville BB employee just kinda stared at me when I asked about a clearance. Doesn't matter since all the games I was looking to get were gone anyway (MGS3 I weep for you).

Top Bottom