• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Marvel Comics Digital Sale on Amazon - lots of stuff 90% off

GTI Guy

Thanks! I wound up downloading the Kindle app on here, but the kindle app doesn't seem to play nice with the size of these books. However downloading the Kindle app allowed me to buy them at all, and now when I go to Comixology they're all there and I can read them that way which is probably my preferred method anyway. Kind of a bit convoluted, I was expecting to be able to just buy them and have them show up on my Comixology account if I was signed in through Amazon.

Because I am a total sucker for Star Wars I picked up all of the new/canon graphic novels they had available outside of the C-3P0 one-off which I might still get out of curiosity. The haul for what I think was $43.60:

Star Wars Volumes 1-5
-Darth Vader Volumes 1-4 (entire run)
-Star Wars Kanan Volumes 1-2 (entire run)
-Star Wars Poe Dameron Volumes 1-2
-Star Wars Doctor Aphra Volume 1
-Star Wars Princess Leia (entire run)
-Star Wars Lando (entire run)
-Star Wars Chewbacca (entire run)
-Star Wars Han Solo (entire run)
-Star Wars Vader Down (entire run)
-Star Wars Shattered Empire(entire run)
-Star Wars Obi-Wan & Anakin (entire run)

Fucking ridiculous.

I don't know shit about comic anymore, I used to read them when I was a kid (a long time ago). I love star wars and just followed your lead on these. LOL Any others I should get? Ones you already had so you didn't list here?

sphagnum

Banned
I don't know shit about comic anymore, I used to read them when I was a kid (a long time ago). I love star wars and just followed your lead on these. LOL Any others I should get? Ones you already had so you didn't list here?

The other canon Star Wars comics are the 2017 Vader series, Darth Maul, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, Mace Windu, the Cassian and K2 one shot, Star Wars Adventures (IDW), Captain Phasma, the Korean webtoon adaptation of the OT available for free on Line Webtoon, the Lost Stars manga, the European (now just German) Rebels comics, the TFA and RO adaptations by Marvel, and the PT/OT/TFA adaptations by Disney-Lucasfilm Press (which first came out in Brazil or something for some reason).

Lucario

This warms my heart.

That ending right? Tippytoe is the best.
Ending was beautiful. Easily my favorite of the comics I've bought and read so far.

When she picked up the hammer, hnggggg

On the infinity gauntlet book now and this Thanos guy is a simp

i'm only 20 pages into Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe and it is amazing.

I completely forgot that Ryan North wrote it. I love his work with Dinosaur Comics and The Machine of Death.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I bought Secret Wars by Hickman and then I saw this...

X9zUA8X.png

Yikes. I was debating those FF issues due to lots of recommendations, had no idea they were directly linked to Secret Wars. But even then, how vital is all of this?

These books are all the canon stories, meaning they take place in the current Disney canon and they are good. There is also the canon Darth Maul story as well.

Just grabbed the Hickman Fantastic Four and FF collections. Money's a bit tight, so I'm holding off on grabbing Dark Reign: FF or anything else of interest right now.

Thinking about my free book, these are what I'm considering:

Punisher Max Vol. 1
Daredevil: Born Again (though I've read it before)
Captain Marvel Vol. 1
Dark Phoenix Saga
Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
Marvels
Annihilation Book One (another I've already read)
Doctor Strange Vol. 1
Power Man and Iron Fist Vol. 1
Perhaps one of Star Wars books (Poe Dameron, maybe?)

Looks like some book prices have increased a little, like a few volumes of Hickman's Fantastic Four.
Thinking about my free book, these are what I'm considering:

Punisher Max Vol. 1
Daredevil: Born Again (though I've read it before)
Captain Marvel Vol. 1
Dark Phoenix Saga
Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
Marvels
Annihilation Book One (another I've already read)
Doctor Strange Vol. 1
Power Man and Iron Fist Vol. 1
Perhaps one of Star Wars books (Poe Dameron, maybe?)
I'd get whichever costs the most :p

weird, were the initial prices price errors? or the sale just ended and we are only left with a lesser sale?

some things are more expensive than they were before.

Brandon F

Damnit, was making a list last night for some leftovers to grab this morning. Woke up to discover that indeed the discount prices were changed. Seems we are looking at 50-80% sales instead of 80-90% now. :( :( :(

Metalmarc

Yeah Prices have gone up on most, a few things left with lowish prices

I'd say it's pretty much over, get what you can thats still cheap, I noticed one of the Bendis avengers book i had on a wishlist was about £1.80 i think has now gone up to £4.88

Ah well fingers crossed for the next end of quarter sale

damn it, i will hold out on buying the whole Secret Warriors and Ultimates stories then. i thought that graphic recommendation was an old one i saw in the past sale thread so i didnt pay any attention until now

For the super casual like me, these are not "go crazy" prices anymore. I get for others who follow this hobby $5.50 a volume is nice. I occasionally catch up on Walking Dead at the library, but to buy it'd have to be a box at a garage sale. That's what this sale felt like. I'm fine waiting until next time, and they don't have to worry about losing sales from me because before this they got literally nothing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i also would recommend stopping for now, as it appears those fire sale prices may appear back in time for xmas amazon gift card season

MrDaravon

What he says here:

The other canon Star Wars comics are the 2017 Vader series, Darth Maul, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, Mace Windu, the Cassian and K2 one shot, Star Wars Adventures (IDW), Captain Phasma, the Korean webtoon adaptation of the OT available for free on Line Webtoon, the Lost Stars manga, the European (now just German) Rebels comics, the TFA and RO adaptations by Marvel, and the PT/OT/TFA adaptations by Disney-Lucasfilm Press (which first came out in Brazil or something for some reason).

But most of these aren't available in TPB/book form yet so weren't part of this sale except for Darth Maul which I thought wasn't available yet in TPB but see now it is so I'm kinda bummed out :(. Unless I'm missed any others though everything else in that list is either not in TPB yet, an adaptation (which I'm not interested in personally), or the Cassian/K2 and C3P0 one-shots. I wound up grabbing the C3P0 one-shot last minute since it was recommended to do so after I made my post.

My goal was to pick up everything that was on sale (aka a book/TPB) that was "canon"/post-Marvel acquisition outside of adaptions, and outside of missing out on Darth Maul and skipping the Cassian/K2 one-shot I think I succeeded?

For the super casual like me, these are not "go crazy" prices anymore. I get for others who follow this hobby $5.50 a volume is nice. I occasionally catch up on Walking Dead at the library, but to buy it'd have to be a box at a garage sale. That's what this sale felt like. I'm fine waiting until next time, and they don't have to worry about losing sales from me because before this they got literally nothing.

Same here. I will admit this has me keeping an eye out for things like this a bit more though and next time they do this I will probably grab some other non-Star Wars stuff.

I imagine it's a pretty fine line for them to walk though.

Edit: Unrelated, but I got the code for a free book from Amazon with whatever my first purchase was here. I have none of the books in the list (except for the Star Wars ones obviously :p), and I have no idea what to get. I read comics growing up so I've read/am familiar with the older stuff like Secret Wars, the older X-Men stuff etc. Based on talk in the thread I should maybe grab Punisher Max 1?

Brandon F

What he says here:

But most of these aren't available in TPB/book form yet so weren't part of this sale except for Darth Maul which I thought wasn't available yet in TPB but see now it is so I'm kinda bummed out :(. Unless I'm missed any others though everything else in that list is either not in TPB yet, an adaptation (which I'm not interested in personally), or the Cassian/K2 and C3P0 one-shots. I wound up grabbing the C3P0 one-shot last minute since it was recommended to do so after I made my post.

My goal was to pick up everything that was on sale (aka a book/TPB) that was "canon"/post-Marvel acquisition outside of adaptions, and outside of missing out on Darth Maul and skipping the Cassian/K2 one-shot I think I succeeded?

I read comics growing up so I've read/am familiar with the older stuff like Secret Wars, the older X-Men stuff etc. Based on talk in the thread I should maybe grab Punisher Max 1?

Here is a link for all your needs regarding Star Wars comics from 2015-Present(official canon run)

Obviously almost all of the 2017 stuff is still on-going so the trade collections should hit sometime later.

MrDaravon

Here is a link for all your needs regarding Star Wars comics from 2015-Present(official canon run)

Obviously almost all of the 2017 stuff is still on-going so the trade collections should hit sometime later.

Yup, looking at that list it seems like I only missed the Darth Maul TPB in terms of this sale. Also some lists/sites are saying that the C3P0 one-shot was included in the Shattered Empire TPB but that's not mentioned at all in the Amazon description as well as some other places. If it's in there I'm going to have wasted $2 buying that separately :(

Whew, glad the sale finally ended. Was seriously considering pulling the trigger on all of Ultimate Spider-Man.

(Note to self: Check back in late December)

J_Viper

I'm surprised this ended so early, I could have sworn it lasted almost a week last time

And with this sale, I know have 358 volumes worth of comics in my locker

I wonder if I will finish them all before I die

DeathPeak

I love how disappointed I am for this sale to be over because I was going to buy more, even though I have enough comics to last me at least a year, if not more.

Dalek

Just finished re-reading God Butcher/God Bomb. What a masterpiece. In retrospect the seeds for Thor’s unworthiness were there from the start.

Aikidoka

Well I started reading Ultimate spider-man. I have been enjoying it but what the fuck is going on with vol 9? When I saw Peter's face i thought this must be some sort of sick joke or something.

Eldren

I've never read anything on comixology before but I picked up a load of books because I couldn't pass up the sale. I have a couple of questions about reading order. I got all of the Squirrel Girl books plus the one-shot, does that have to be read at a certain time or is it not really connected to the main run?

And for Jason Aaron's Thor, do the Unworthy and Jane Foster books run concurrently? As in, do you have to alternate issues like with Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF to follow the story or can they be read separately? I still need to finish the original run with Last Days Of Midgard but I just want to be ready before I get there.

I'm excited to dive in, I picked up some things I've been meaning to get around to for a while but the physical trades always seemed a bit pricey.

Metalmarc

Well I started reading Ultimate spider-man. I have been enjoying it but what the fuck is going on with vol 9? When I saw Peter's face i thought this must be some sort of sick joke or something.

Care to expand on that sick joke? Spoiler it if you want, not sure if i read that Volume.

jon bones

I've never read anything on comixology before but I picked up a load of books because I couldn't pass up the sale. I have a couple of questions about reading order. I got all of the Squirrel Girl books plus the one-shot, does that have to be read at a certain time or is it not really connected to the main run?

And for Jason Aaron's Thor, do the Unworthy and Jane Foster books run concurrently? As in, do you have to alternate issues like with Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF to follow the story or can they be read separately? I still need to finish the original run with Last Days Of Midgard but I just want to be ready before I get there.

I'm excited to dive in, I picked up some things I've been meaning to get around to for a while but the physical trades always seemed a bit pricey.

you have to alternate FF/F4 at some point
its

dark reign
fantastic four
ff/f4 alternating every issue
fantastic four

ill get the exact #s

MrDaravon

Edit: Unrelated, but I got the code for a free book from Amazon with whatever my first purchase was here. I have none of the books in the list (except for the Star Wars ones obviously :p), and I have no idea what to get. I read comics growing up so I've read/am familiar with the older stuff like Secret Wars, the older X-Men stuff etc. Based on talk in the thread I should maybe grab Punisher Max 1?

Anyone?

hamchan

Different artist that isn't Bagley.

Anyways, happy that the sale is over I guess, to prevent me from spending anymore money. Went a bit nuts.

Eldren

you have to alternate FF/F4 at some point
its

dark reign
fantastic four
ff/f4 alternating every issue
fantastic four

ill get the exact #s

Oh no I've already read all of Hickman's FF stuff. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant does Jason Aaron's Thor stuff work the same way with The Mighty Thor/Unworthy Thor or if they can be read individually one after the other.

jon bones

Just read Vision. Wow! Is there anything else like it?

Tom King, author of The Vision wrote a DC book: The Omega Men

it is brilliant. Kyle Rainer was a Green Lantern. Then he became a “super cop” version: a White Lantern. Then the story starts. It is wholly self contained and every bit as good as The Vision.

516oBdp2hgL.jpg

Kal

Tom King, author of The Vision wrote a DC book: The Omega Men

it is brilliant. Kyle Rainer was a Green Lantern. Then he became a “super cop” version: a White Lantern. Then the story starts. It is wholly self contained and every bit as good as The Vision.

516oBdp2hgL.jpg

Thank you! I'll check it out.

Metalmarc

The change in artstyle is just really drastic and looks pretty bad, imo.
Here is a snip of a typical (goofy) face of Peter Parker in previous volumes (vol4 specifically is where I snipped this:

Peter parker face in vol 9.

All the other characters get similar funny reworks.

Ahh yes i have seen it happen when they change Artists, like when i was ready Silk, and I was used to one look, and then they changed her face and this was I think during just one run (or maybe it was because of a crossover event) but i swore it was like one or two issues one look, then another, so i checked and sure enough the Artist had changed.

But wow, It almost looks like a Humperdido (Preacher comics) version of Peter Parker.

So I bought Dark Reign: Fantastic Four and like six volumes of Fantastic Four and four volumes of FF.

Based on the Hickman FF Reading Order chart, it looks like the story alternates between Fantastic Four and FF issues at one point?

Yes, this is a first world problem, but just making sure I understand this: at some point, I will read an issue in a Fantastic Four volume, then change to one of the FF volumes to read another issue, and then switch back to a Fantastic Four volume to read the next issue, and so forth?

I am lazy and I like opening up a book and reading it end to end, but if the best way to read his run is to alternate issues between multiple collections, so be it!

jon bones

So I bought Dark Reign: Fantastic Four and like six volumes of Fantastic Four and four volumes of FF.

Based on the Hickman FF Reading Order chart, it looks like the story alternates between Fantastic Four and FF issues at one point?

Yes, this is a first world problem, but just making sure I understand this: at some point, I will read an issue in a Fantastic Four volume, then change to one of the FF volumes to read another issue, and then switch back to a Fantastic Four volume to read the next issue, and so forth?

I am lazy and I like opening up a book and reading it end to end, but if the best way to read his run is to alternate issues between multiple collections, so be it!

it is annoying but it is the ONLY way to make sense of the story.

Top Bottom