• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Marvel Comics Digital Sale on Amazon - lots of stuff 90% off

DeathPeak

I'm tapping out unless the sale is still running by the time I get my next check. Mostly picked up stuff I didn't get the last time the sale happened that I had planned on.

Ultimate Spider-Man Volumes 1-22
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volumes 1-4
Infinity
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe
World War Hulk
Wolverine: Weapon X
Jonathan Hickman run of Fantastic Four/FF

Omg I bought so many, and I never read any Marvel before. I’m overwhelmed right now with a huge backlog and not knowing where to start or get few more if any good ones I’ve left out. I’ll post my haul here.

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Vol. 1
Punisher Max: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
Marvel 1602
Hulk: World War Hulk
Infinity Gauntlet
Runaways Vol. 1: Pride and Joy
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe
Deadpool: The Adamantium Collection
Vision Vol. 2: Little Better Than A Beast (Vision (2015-2016))
Vision Vol. 1: Little Worse Than A Man (Vision (2015-2016))

Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted
Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1: Apocalypse Solution
Uncanny X-Force Vol. 2: Deathlok Nation

Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson Vol. 1
Thor: God of Thunder Vol. 1: The God Butcher
Thor: God of Thunder Vol. 2: Godbomb

Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Vol. 1
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Vol. 2
Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet Vol. 3

Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal
Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why
Ms. Marvel Vol. 3: Crushed
Ms. Marvel Vol. 4: Last Days

Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life As A Weapon
Hawkeye Vol. 2: Little Hits
Hawkeye Vol. 3: L.A. Woman
Hawkeye Vol. 4: Rio Bravo

Star Wars Vol. 1: Skywalker Strike
Star Wars Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon

Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 1: Vader
Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets
Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 3: The Shu-Torun War
Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol. 4: End of Games

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1: Power & Responsibility
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2: Learning Curve
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 3: Double Trouble
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4: Legacy
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 5: Public Scrutiny
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 6: Venom
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7: Irresponsible
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 8: Cats and Kings
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 9: Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 10: Hollywood

I think I'm done now. Debating on if I should go for the rest of the Ultimate Spidey or finish of these first. These will probably last me for years I’m guessing.

Any other recommendations or good ones that I’ve missed out?

Edit: Oh boy, someone please stop me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Omg I bought so many, and I never read any Marvel before. I’m overwhelmed right now with a huge backlog and not knowing where to start or get few more if any good ones I’ve left out. I’ll post my haul here.

Marvel 1602
Infinity Gauntlet

I think I'm done now. Debating on if I should go for the rest of the Ultimate Spidey or finish of these first. These will probably last me for years I’m guessing.

start with something short & tight, like those 2 Thor Godbomb books you have

or the vision 2 volume story you have

Haven't read many comics in a while, got some new stuff and some classics I never read:

Wolverine Origins
God Loves, Man Kills

Kraven's Last Hunt

Infinity Gauntlet

Gwenpool 1-3

Darth Vader 1-4
Vader Down

Debating whether or not to get USM. Read through the first ~10 volumes a while back then stopped. Kinda want to read through the whole thing again.

That said I still have like 5 months worth of Marvel Unlimited I never redeemed from the last time they had that glitch sale of buying a month for $.99 maybe I just do that.

FUME5

Fuck it, haven't read Marvel in at least a decade but I'm buying Spidey 2099.

And a shitload more by the looks of it.

Grabbed the newest collection of Punisher MAX. Marvel Unlimited makes it hard for me to justify buying Marvel comics, but the MAX stuff isn't on there so it's an easy sell.

flkraven

Need spidey suggestions? What's your current list?

Here is everything I bought so far, including the Spidey stuff:

-Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight
-Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth
-Spider-Man: Dying Wish
-Superior Spider-Man Vol 1 - 6
-Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 - 4 (Slott, post Superior)
-Spider-Gwen Vol 0: Most Wanted?
-Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1 (Wanted to learn about Miles)

-Astonishing X-Men Vol 1-4
-Infinity Gauntlet
-Ms. Marvel Vol 1: No Normal
-Marvel Graphic Novel #5: X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
-Hulk: World War
-Vision by Tom King Vol 1 & 2

Any recommendations are great, but as a person that hasn't bought comics in 20+ years this is my wallet:

tenor.gif

Prime users should know that the first volume of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is free with prime.

Here's the whole list

A ton of first volumes for series suggested in this thread. Good place to start if you have prime. If you click the Read for Free button it will send it to whatever device you've been using.

Here is everything I bought so far, including the Spidey stuff:

-Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight
-Spider-Man: Ends of the Earth
-Spider-Man: Dying Wish
-Superior Spider-Man Vol 1 - 6
-Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 - 4 (Slott, post Superior)
-Spider-Gwen Vol 0: Most Wanted?
-Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1 (Wanted to learn about Miles)

-Astonishing X-Men Vol 1-4
-Infinity Gauntlet
-Ms. Marvel Vol 1: No Normal
-Marvel Graphic Novel #5: X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
-Hulk: World War
-Vision by Tom King Vol 1 & 2

Any recommendations are great, but as a person that hasn't bought comics in 20+ years this is my wallet:

tenor.gif
Try the first volume of JMS Spider-Man.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Seeing no one else answering, let me say this:

513m85QKF0L._AC_US218_.jpg

This is the cover of the second trade from Chelsea Cain's Mockingbird run. If the notion that a scientist-turned-superheroine might believe in equality between the sexes somehow offends you....then you should avoid buying the book, and read up on the twitter harassment Cain received as a result of this issue cover.

If the image does not offend you, then you should really think about buying these 2 trades.

It's unfair to compare the book to Fraction's Hawkeye, which is revered as a defining (redefining?) run for the character...but it's the closest comparison I can give. Cain redefines Mockingbird by making her the unreliable narrator of her own story.
The first four issues of the book are structured as a puzzle box; the first issue won't make a lick of sense on first reading, but the story gradually expands on and explains itself. Kate Niemczyk's art is ridiculously detailed, and rewards repeat readings / viewings.

tl;dr - it was the best thing I read in 2016...and I'm still sad we didn't get more than these two trades. Buy it.

Oh Im not offended at all, I love the theme! Will check this out, thanks for taking the time!

I merged my amazon and comixlogy account. I don't have a kindle and I just use the comixlogy reader to read my comics. I was wondering is there a way to buy the comics on amazon and send it to my comixlogy reader. It wont let me buy since I don't have a kindle.

So when my next paycheck clears tonight I'm gonna pick up the Bendis' Daredevil Run, Cain's Mockingbird Run, and then that big old Ultimate Spider Man Run which then makes my total list of pickups the following:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
Captain Marvel
World War Hulk
Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson
Runaways
Infinity Gauntlet
Thanos Quest
Infinity
Marvel 1602
Astonishing X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
Vision
Hawkeye
Hickman's F4->FF->Secret Wars Run
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe
Nextwave: Agents of HATE
The Mighty Thor (Lady Thor Arc)
Unworthy Thor
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear
Slott's Superior Siper-Man Run
Spider-Gwen
Cosmic Marvel 2004-2011 Run
Brubaker's Cap Run (Reborn, etc.)
Cable & Deadpool
Invincible Iron Man
Alias
Immortal Iron Fist
Doctor Strange: 2011 & 2015 Runs
Worst X-Man Ever
Marvels
Superior Foes Of Spider-Man

And then I want to add:
Bendis' Daredevil Run
Ultimate Spider-Man
Cain's Mockingbird Run
Ultimate-Spider Man

Any others for my last big purchase this sale? Note I have the Ms. Marvel collection as a hardcover already

(Note this is from a guy who has never touched digital comics until this sale, so I went a bit overboard)

If I were to get one Thor series, which one would you guys recommend?

Get the Simonson Thor Visionairies collections. That whole run is bugnuts amazing comics. It also has the best onomatopoeic sound effects. ever. Did you know anvils make the sound "DOOM!" when they're struck? And lightning goes KRA-KA-KOOOOOM? You will!

Simonson really turned Thor from a "superhero" back into a mystical god being, and let the comic really go into some insane spaces.

Get the Simonson Thor Visionairies collections. That whole run is bugnuts amazing comics. It also has the best onomatopoeic sound effects. ever. Did you know anvils make the sound "DOOM!" when they're struck? And lightning goes KRA-KA-KOOOOOM? You will!

Simonson really turned Thor from a "superhero" back into a mystical god being, and let the comic really go into some insane spaces.

And if not that, then the current Mighty Thor run is super good as well.

Metalmarc

May look at more spending tomorrow maybe buy more X-Men Comics any suggestions? I have not read any X- Men yet

- first off I have Dark Phoenix Saga, Asgardian Wars just bought them in this sale(havent read them yet)

- I'd prefer something 90's Love the colours of that era (used to watch the show) or More Modern X-Men comics

- not Joss Whedons run (I'm gonna buy that anyway, gonna use prime to read volume 1 & 2 first and then buy it to keep)

- Wouldn't mind if Spidey, Deadpool, FF, Avengers or other Marvel Characters showed up (not important if they don't though)

- Seen All The films except Apocalypse (I really Enjoy most of these films but I heard the comics are better)

- I like Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Gambit etc (basically the line up of the 90's Cartoons but it doesn't matter if the team has changed up a little or a lot)

Thanks guys

BFIB

May look at more spending tomorrow maybe buy more X-Men Comics any suggestions? I have not read any X- Men yet

- first off I have Dark Phoenix Saga, Asgardian Wars just bought them in this sale(havent read them yet)

- I'd prefer something 90's Love the colours of that era (used to watch the show) or More Modern X-Men comics

- not Joss Whedons run (I'm gonna buy that anyway, gonna use prime to read volume 1 & 2 first and then buy it to keep)

- Wouldn't mind if Spidey, Deadpool, FF, Avengers or other Marvel Characters showed up (not important if they don't though)

- Seen All The films except Apocalypse (I really Enjoy most of these films but I heard the comics are better)

- I like Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Gambit etc (basically the line up of the 90's Cartoons but it doesn't matter if the team has changed up a little or a lot)

Thanks guys
It's before the 90's, but Claremonts run is what defines the XMen you know of. I'd recommend the masterworks volumes, Days of Future Past, God Loves Man Kills.

jon bones

guys it makes me so happy to see everyone get into some really wonderful comics

Thanks guys

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is a MUST READ

7 volumes total, dealing with Wolverine, Angel, Deadpool, Psylocke, Apocalypse and others. If you remember the 90s X-Men cartoon with Angel and Apocalypse and shit you are gonna love this.

jayTOH

I'm debating on whether I should buy the recommendations in this thread or subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for a month or two. Is it common for people to go back and reread comics? I know everyone (re)consumes media differently, but it's difficult for me to weigh the pros and cons between owning and subscribing as a new comic book reader.

I'm debating on whether I should buy the recommendations in this thread or subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for a month or two. Is it common for people to go back and reread comics? I know everyone (re)consumes media differently, but it's difficult for me to weigh the pros and cons between owning and subscribing as a new comic book reader.

I'm buying so much because I do like to go back and re read, and because I don't like the clutter of having "everything" there.

I'm also a slow reader due to having so many other things to do / consume media wise, so monthly subscription stuff kind of falls by the wayside for me.

Metalmarc

It's before the 90's, but Claremonts run is what defines the XMen you know of. I'd recommend the masterworks volumes, Days of Future Past, God Loves Man Kills.

Oh yeah I bought God Loves cos it was so cheap, thanks i'll check the others out

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is a MUST READ

7 volumes total, dealing with Wolverine, Angel, Deadpool, Psylocke, Apocalypse and others. If you remember the 90s X-Men cartoon with Angel and Apocalypse and shit you are gonna love this.

Sounds exactly like what I wanna read thanks

FUME5

I merged my amazon and comixlogy account. I don't have a kindle and I just use the comixlogy reader to read my comics. I was wondering is there a way to buy the comics on amazon and send it to my comixlogy reader. It wont let me buy since I don't have a kindle.

Just download the Kindle app.

Duress

These any good?

I'm looking for anything Hulk related outside the already mentioned titles (WWH, Planet Hulk, Visionaries, etc.)

You can try Jason Aaron's run on Hulk. It's an interesting play, where Hulk is the good guy, and Banner is the bad guy.

J_Viper

You can try Jason Aaron's run on Hulk. It's an interesting play, where Hulk is the good guy, and Banner is the bad guy.

Went to check it out, only to discover I already bought it lol. Must have been from last time.

Thanks for the recommendation though!

Just started Thor Visionaries and... it's been recoloured. I haven't read the Simonson run in years but I remember the colours were nothing like this in the trades I read at the library.

This is a real shame.

Marvel 1602
Infinity Gauntlet

Start with ultimate Spider-Man.

chidrock

So I decided (gave in) and bought the Road to the Civil War, Civil War: Spider-man and Civil War itself. Is there anything else that would happen to be required reading for the first Civil War series? I saw the movie but I'm curious to see what happened in the books considering it seems to be such a huge event.

Also, a long time ago I read the Kevin Smith run of Daredevil and thought it was pretty good. Should I go for the Bendis books? (it's been a while since I read anything and I never really read much of Daredevil either so I guess I'm looking for a good starting point)

jon bones

So I decided (gave in) and bought the Road to the Civil War, Civil War: Spider-man and Civil War itself. Is there anything else that would happen to be required reading for the first Civil War series? I saw the movie but I'm curious to see what happened in the books considering it seems to be such a huge event.

Also, a long time ago I read the Kevin Smith run of Daredevil and thought it was pretty good. Should I go for the Bendis books? (it's been a while since I read anything and I never really read much of Daredevil either so I guess I'm looking for a good starting point)

Bendis DD is god-tier

Alright this sale needs to end. I just keep going back. Bought iron first epic, immortal iron fist, moon knight epics, Lemire moon knight, Ellis moon knight, deadpool/spiderman, Deadpool Adamantium, Vision.... God I think that's all. Not gonna add it all up either. Then I'll really feel the pain.

FUME5

There only appears to be one for the current run, is that the one to get?

Beats me mate, as per my earlier post I haven't read Marvel for a decade or so, I was just going to grab some Spidey 2099 cause I dug that as a teen, I ended up buying far more than I anticipated:

Punisher Max Vol 1
Dr Aphra Vol 1
Infinity Gauntlet
Silver Surfer Epic Collection: Infinity Gauntlet
Civil War 1
Civil War 2
Secret Wars
Thor Vol 1: Goddess of Thunder
Marvel Vs Zombies 3
World War Hulk
Hulk: Planet Hulk
She Hulk Vol 1: Law and Disorder
Vision Vol 1
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel universe
Nextwave Vol 1
Gwenpool Vol 1
Dr Strange & Dr Doom
Spiderman 2099 classic Vol 1&2
Infamous Iron Man Vol 1
Superior Spiderman Vol 1&2
Spiderman: Birth of Venom
Superior Foes of Spiderman Vol 1
House of M
X Force/Cable: Messiah War

I justified it by A) being drunk and B) telling myself they're for when I have country work and have to stay in motels and shit.

Top Bottom