• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm glad I got in on this. I've really been enjoying motw even though I'm pretty terrible at fighting games. Today I finally managed to get up to grant without using any continue service options, but couldn't beat him without bumping the difficulty down. I'd like to actually get good at fighting games, but I think I would be better served by a fight stick (in addition to practicing a whole bunch), as I feel I'm at a distinct speed and maneuverability disadvantage with my 360 pad.

Coreda

Christ. The straight up hassle it is to get things in a usable state is a bit much. It's 2015 not 2005.

- Finding/configuring a decent (windowed) game launcher.

- FB Alpha no matter how many times I click the 'save input mapping' menu item doesn't save the controller mappings or preset and requires new mappings upon game launch.

- More automated solutions like Ice requiring non-configurable directory names and paths.

- The overall jank of emulator UIs left over from years past.

*Sigh* I can see why some would just prefer Steam ports.

Anyone care to give me a hand, I have tried Garou and Neo Turf Masters and they are both giving me the The Selected Game is Missing One or More Required ROM or CHD images. I copied over the NeoGeo zipped folder and the Neogeo.dat file to the rom folder. Is there something i'm missing?

vanty

Anyone care to give me a hand, I have tried Garou and Neo Turf Masters and they are both giving me the The Selected Game is Missing One or More Required ROM or CHD images. I copied over the NeoGeo zipped folder and the Neogeo.dat file to the rom folder. Is there something i'm missing?

I only have neogeo.zip and all the gametitle.zip files in my Neo Geo folder, don't need any .dat file.

BiggNife

Yeah, I had the same issue with MAME. Tried Retroarch with the Final Burn Alpha core instead and everything works fine.

MaLDo

People with problems with the emulator this is my mame folder. Unrar it wherever you want. Put your neogeo.zip and games into roms folder. I added Shock Troppers, Last Blade and Last Blade 2 .bat files to run them directly and all three are configured. Config is for 360 controller, both analog and dpad work, back button is for coin, back + start quit the game, right analog button is pause button. You can add those .bat files as steam shortcuts.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=40765904999400731134

Dinjoralo

Christ. The straight up hassle it is to get things in a usable state is a bit much. It's 2015 not 2005.
- FB Alpha no matter how many times I click the 'save input mapping' menu item doesn't save the controller mappings or preset and requires new mappings upon game launch

You have to save your preset, then hit "make default." That works on my end.

Tizoc

^there's a make default button?
Let me try that out...

Hope Real Bout 2's among the 4 added games ToT

Messed a little mroe in Garou today, seems I can still do Kain's trickier combos with a pad long as I can time it right-
Dwn+AB, C, Dwn-Back+AC>B elbow dash

Feel like a boss doing that :p
Interesting thing about his follow-up to Dwn+AB is that you can't hold a direction when pressing C; it ha to be a neutral C.

OmegaDL50

faCpsih.png

Since Humble bundle released this image as a hint for the next four games to be released. And since the Neo Geo Master list is actually rather small. Trying to figure out what these four games being included isn't exactly hard.
http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/masterlist.htm -

This is the master list. Finding out which four games is probably going to be narrowed down to two things, one the image of games line up are in alphabetical order which reduces a lot of the guess work, and second, games that only SNK published or by companies that SNK owned that were included in to the 25th anniversary collection

Since there is a total of 272 games that were ever released for the hardware, it's not very hard to determine which games will be included later today. Also SNK would only include their most notable / well known games in the collection. With that said

Mystery game one is after Baseball Stars 2 but before Fatal Fury Special and on the Master list only two games fulfill that criteria. Blazing Star or Burning Fight. I also hope it's Breakers Revenge but I don't even know if SNK has the license or rights to Breakers Revenge.

Since Pulstar was already included in the collection, chances of it being Blazing Star are rather high, then again Burning Fight is one of the most notable games that released early for the hardware. I'd rather it be Blazing Star or Breakers Revenge to be honest, besides Sengoku 3 is the better beat em up over Burning Fight anyways, so not having Burning Fight isn't a big loss.

Mystery Game 2 is after Garou but before King of the Monsters. Not much go on but I'm thinking it's possibly Ghost Pilots. I don't think it will be that Soccer game "Goal!, Goal!, Goal!" At least I don't think it would be.

Mystery Game number 3 is a no brainer. It's between Neo Turf Masters and Samurai Shodown II

The only notable game between these two that were published by SNK and fits the order of alphabetical naming would be the Real Bout Fatal Fury series. So I kind of hope it is RBFF2, I really can't see it being something else. It would definitely be strange to me if Humble included Ninja Master's which was rather mediocre IMO.

And for Mystery game 4.

It's between THE Last Blade and THE King of Fighters 2000....not really hard to guess which game this is going to be another KOF, or hopefully Last Blade 2.

EDIT: New games are up!

KOF 2002 (Why include this when the Unlimited Match version exists!?) MEH!!
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (AWESOME!)
Blazing Star (AWESOME!)
Ironclad (Didn't expect this, Since it's a supposedly an NeoGeo CD exclusive, I wonder how this is going to work in an AES / MVS emulator, I wonder if the CD audio is even included)

Well 2 out of 4 isn't too bad.

Still kind of bummed out that duplicate KOF2002 was included, yeah sure I suppose K9999 was important some people as well as the pre-balance changes before Unlimited Match, but whatever.

Knurek

Ironclad?! Wasn't that shooter exclusive to Neo CD?

There was a prototype cart version.
Released on WiiWare previously.
Given the Humble version is 39 MB in size, there's no way in hell they are using the NeoCD version. Pity, the CDDA music is way better than the proto track available in the cart. :\

Tizoc

faCpsih.png

Since Humble bundle released this image as a hint for the next four games to be released. And since the Neo Geo Master list is actually rather small. Trying to figure out what these four games being included isn't exactly hard.
http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/masterlist.htm -

This is the master list. Finding out which four games is probably going to be narrowed down to two things, one the image of games line up are in alphabetical order which reduces a lot of the guess work, and second, games that only SNK published or by companies that SNK owned that were included in to the 25th anniversary collection

Since there is a total of 272 games that were ever released for the hardware, it's not very hard to determine which games will be included later today. Also SNK would only include their most notable / well known games in the collection. With that said

Mystery game one is after Baseball Stars 2 but before Fatal Fury Special and on the Master list only two games fulfill that criteria. Blazing Star or Burning Fight. I also hope it's Breakers Revenge but I don't even know if SNK has the license or rights to Breakers Revenge.

Since Pulstar was already included in the collection, chances of it being Blazing Star are rather high, then again Burning Fight is one of the most notable games that released early for the hardware. I'd rather it be Blazing Star or Breakers Revenge to be honest, besides Sengoku 3 is the better beat em up over Burning Fight anyways, so not having Burning Fight isn't a big loss.

Mystery Game 2 is after Garou but before King of the Monsters. Not much go on but I'm thinking it's possibly Ghost Pilots. I don't think it will be that Soccer game "Goal!, Goal!, Goal!" At least I don't think it would be.

Mystery Game number 3 is a no brainer. It's between Neo Turf Masters and Samurai Shodown II

The only notable game between these two that were published by SNK and fits the order of alphabetical naming would be the Real Bout Fatal Fury series. So I kind of hope it is RBFF2, I really can't see it being something else. It would definitely be strange to me if Humble included Ninja Master's which was rather mediocre IMO.

And for Mystery game 4.

It's between THE Last Blade and THE King of Fighters 2000....not really hard to guess which game this is going to be another KOF, or hopefully Last Blade 2.

EDIT: New games are up!

KOF 2002 (Why include this when the Unlimited Match version exists!?) MEH!!
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (AWESOME!)
Blazing Star (AWESOME!)
Ironclad (Didn't expect this, Since it's a supposedly an NeoGeo CD exclusive, I wonder how this is going to work in an AES / MVS emulator, I wonder if the CD audio is even included)

Well 2 out of 4 isn't too bad.

Still kind of bummed out that duplicate KOF2002 was included, yeah sure I suppose K9999 was important some people as well as the pre-balance changes before Unlimited Match, but whatever.

Vanilla KoF 02 has K9999 and its system is different from 02 UM which refinded it.
Personally I don't mind it
But fuck yeah Blazing Star an effin' REAL BOUT 2!

Also ironclad
WTF is ironcald?
I don't care I'm hype!

Knurek

Vanilla KoF 02 has K9999 and its system is different from 02 UM which refinded it.
Personally I don't mind it
But fuck yeah Blazing Star an effin' REAL BOUT 2!

Also ironclad
WTF is ironcald?
I don't care I'm hype!

Let's all dream about the inevitable Humble Neo Geo bundle 2:

Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle
Art of Fighting 3
Super Sidekicks 2
Breakers Revenge
Aero Fighters 2
Tengai Makyo: Kabuki Klash
Fatal Fury 3
The Last Blade 2
Prehistoric Isle 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Zed Blade

BOTEC

Cool. That's like the 5th version of KOF2002 I own, and I'm not even too crazy about that game. I was actually cataloging my KOF games today and I would have appreciated a digital copy of 2003 more. I only have one port of it, and it's for the OG Xbox. Not exactly easily accessible.

Edit: Ran this batch through a ROM manager, and we get an Ironclad bootleg in addition to the prototype. The home, and the Korean version of RB2 (Is there even text in that game? what's the difference?). Also some of the decrypted graphics ROM's can be used in a bootleg KOF Special Edition 2004 set, but the rest is missing. Bummer, It would be hilarious for SNK to sell bootlegs of their own games.

Cool. That's like the 5th version of KOF2002 I own, and I'm not even too crazy about that game. I was actually cataloging my KOF games today and I would have appreciated a digital copy of 2003 more. I only have one port of it, and it's for the OG Xbox. Not exactly easily accessible.

Edit: Ran this batch through a ROM manager, and we get an Ironclad bootleg in addition to the prototype. The home, and the Korean version of RB2 (Is there even text in that game? what's the difference?). Also some of the decrypted graphics ROM's can be used in a bootleg KOF Special Edition 2004 set, but the rest is missing. Bummer, It would be hilarious for SNK to sell bootlegs of their own games.

WhatROM manager did you run them through? I'm just curious.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love that 2000 and 2002 are in the bundle but not 2001. I am literally the only person in the world who likes 2001, it seems. :lol

Newboi

Will I be able to get these additional SNK games if I already purchased the humble bundle before they were officially available?

OmegaDL50

I got my configuration all setup...Totally awesome to just click on a game and directly load it bypassing a manual load in the emulator (of course some configuration was done prior but anyways), Neo Geo fun time, here we go!

qWQGVy3.jpg

Fudo Myo

I got my configuration all setup...Totally awesome to just click on a game and directly load it bypassing a manual load in the emulator (of course some configuration was done prior but anyways), Neo Geo fun time, here we go!

qWQGVy3.jpg

Would you care to detail how you did this? I'd love to do the same.

Also, where did you get all the Steam images? Did you make them yourself?

I just "beat" Blaze Star (ok, I credit fed the shit out of it until I got to the end). Wow, what an amazing game! The final boss was wack as fuck and just what the doctor ordered. That and Pulstar alone are worth the 10 bucks for me (I don't really care for fighting games).

OmegaDL50

Would you care to detail how you did this? I'd love to do the same.

Also, where did you get all the Steam images? Did you make them yourself?

I just "beat" Blaze Star (ok, I credit fed the shit out of it until I got to the end). Wow, what an amazing game! The final boss was wack as fuck and just what the doctor ordered. That and Pulstar alone are worth the 10 bucks for me (I don't really care for fighting games).

Sure thing.

Instructions are here = http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188555123&postcount=597

The only banner that did not exist was Ironclad, I created it from a custom cover of the NeoGeo CD game floating around online

You can download the banner here

VaEqQeD.jpg

If you have any trouble setting this up, ask me any questions and I'll help the best I can.

gelf

Just a warning on using Ice to add games to your library. To my cost I found it doesn't play nice if you Steam username contains certain characters. It got confused with the underscore in mine and deleted my existing shortcuts. Thankfully I had a mostly complete backup.

tzare

probably posted, but haven't been able to find info. Is the soundtrack worth it? i mean, is ist arranged or original? I already have most of those games for my neogeo but i'd love to bite if the soundtrack is AST instead of original neogeo rip.

Tizoc

RB2 does actually have text; if you switch to JP region there is text in the continue screen.
If you play Versus mode there are victory quotes too.

Loona

I've never played any SNK games other than KOF13 for a few minutes. What's a good place to start with these?

Samurai Shodown II, Garou and Metal Slug 3 are generally well-liked classics, but it would help to know your personal preferences.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just bought this. Would you guys suggest to use Retroarch and a specific core or are the built in emulators good?

Tizoc

^the built-in emulator that's offer by HB is trash, just used Retroarch.

Is there a guide in getting the games working in an emulator? Or is it just installing and looking for a .ZIP file in the directory?

If you get Final Burn Alpha for example, just copy the neogeo.zip and the game's .zip files to the rom folder in FBA directory, run FBA and have it look for games and it'll detect the games.
After running the games, you can use the options to switch to AES mode and configure your controls.

Samurai Shodown II, Garou and Metal Slug 3 are generally well-liked classics, but it would help to know your personal preferences.

The thing with their older fighters is how they'll feel 'slow' compared to most modern fighters nowadays. As such the KoF games, Garou and Real Bout 2 are IMHO the better starting points.
Look up Gamefaqs.com for the movelists.

thundr51

Best bundle ever. Just finished some SS2 love (Shoutout to Ukyo and Nako!) Makes me wonder why they didn't add SS3 (horrible damage!). Completely forgot how slow Last blade 1 is vs Last blade 2. (Shoutout to Moriya(see avatar)) Will definitely buy Last Blade 2...if it arrives.

Top Bottom