• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'd recommend just using Finalburn Alpha on it's own for emulating, rather than the retroarch core. You lose out on shaders, but it's way less of a hassle to get working.

Eh... I totally get what you're saying, I find RetroArch to be an immense pain in the butt also, but once you get it working it's absolutely dreamy.

My main issue with RetroArch is configuring controllers. Never, ever seems to work right no matter which guide I follow. The whole "RetroPad" abstraction layer is stupid - it should just know what buttons need to be configured for each core, prompt me to map each button to whatever controller I've plugged in, and then just remember that.

I'll get this later this week when I get paid. Legal ROMs definitely should be a thing.

Question about 2002 UM. I thought I remember hearing that when it was put on XBLA the game was left untranslated (namely victory quotes). Is that still the case?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'll get this later this week when I get paid. Legal ROMs definitely should be a thing.

Question about 2002 UM. I thought I remember hearing that when it was put on XBLA the game was left untranslated (namely victory quotes). Is that still the case?

It was 98UM. Ran through a quick match and the winquote+Ultimate Mode options were in English, so I'm pretty sure it's fully translated.

Eh... I totally get what you're saying, I find RetroArch to be an immense pain in the butt also, but once you get it working it's absolutely dreamy.

My main issue with RetroArch is configuring controllers. Never, ever seems to work right no matter which guide I follow. The whole "RetroPad" abstraction layer is stupid - it should just know what buttons need to be configured for each core, prompt me to map each button to whatever controller I've plugged in, and then just remember that.

Man im glad to hear im not the only one that struggles with mapping and retroarch, in Android is almost impossible :(

bVork

Seriously, I haven't bought this bundle, does it actually give you uncompressed ROM files? Because if you do any work to remove them from an obfuscated format, I would guess that that disqualifies it from being "legal ROMs", as you've stated twice now. It becomes the same as any packaged emulation product.

Yes, it does. Neogeo.zip and mslug2.zip (just for an example) are sitting there, plain as day, in the directory you install the game to. You can just copy and paste them into the rom directory for your emulator of choice.

It doesn't look like everything is on the up-and-up, though: neogeo.zip includes every version of the Universe BIOS through 3.0. Somehow I doubt DotEmu licensed those from Razoola, but I guess you never know...

BOTEC

Woah cool, i think I have one of those Irem collections, once you figure out how to find the ROM of it RetroArch should do the rest :D

Sorry, I just gave it another try, but it looks like a no-go. Looks like they did use the mame ROM set (one ROM is identified as correct, but wrongly labeled), but they combined the rest of the individual ROM's into binary blobs. Without splitting those up correctly, there isn't any way to get it running in mame, to my knowledge. I'm just a amateur at this though, so if anyone has any good ways to split binaries give it a shot.

Dinjoralo

He's saying he wants that version on PC, it isn't now.

I downloaded the steam version of Metal Slug. Why isn't there an option to have the resolution scale linearly? Seriously, who in their right god-damn mind takes a game with pixel art and refuses to let you scale it linearly?! The KOF ports from Code Mystics let you do this. The only reason the metal slug games don't is because DotEMU couldn't give a shit if they tried.

For me, there's also loading the roms. Having to navigate through my files from the root with a controller is a pain in the ass. There's supposed to be an option for changing the path you start in, but I couldn't find it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I barely bother with Retroarch because it's shit to set it up :lol. I just end up using the actual emulator that the cores are based on, way less of a headache that way

Tizoc

OK got Final Burn Alpha and it can let me create custom Macros
Except I have no idea how to make it let me assign AB and the other button combinations :V
Anyone got any tips for this?

cacildo

I barely bother with Retroarch because it's shit to set it up :lol. I just end up using the actual emulator that the cores are based on, way less of a headache that way

Ahah! Glad im not the only one!

I remember people going "Retroarch is PERFECT and WONDERFUL and if you use anything else you are STUPID and should DIE"

And then i went to try it and i was like "What the hell was that!"

Glad to know in not the only one

grendelrt

EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO PLAY SHOCK TROOPERS 2!!!

Top down shooter 'mercs-like'... except it's much better than Mercs.

(also, what a dream to replay PULSTAR, I remembered it was hard, but not THAT hard).
Original shock troopers is better, 2 isn't bad but not up to 1s level.

Dinjoralo

OK got Final Burn Alpha and it can let me create custom Macros
Except I have no idea how to make it let me assign AB and the other button combinations :V
Anyone got any tips for this?

I think you'll need to tweak around with the emulators' INI files to make that work. I'll try figuring it out myself.
EDIT: Got it. Go to the folder you have the emulator in, then go to the config > games folder. Open one of the INI's named after the games and copy all the button macro bindings near the bottom. Then paste them into your preset controls INI. You'll be able to set the bindings within FBA.

BiggNife

EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO PLAY SHOCK TROOPERS 2!!!

Top down shooter 'mercs-like'... except it's much better than Mercs.

(also, what a dream to replay PULSTAR, I remembered it was hard, but not THAT hard).
2 is okay but 1 is way better. ST1 doesn't have nearly as much slowdown and 2 is a noticeable step down from 1 considering there's way less characters and no team mode.

Tizoc

I think you'll need to tweak around with the emulators' INI files to make that work. I'll try figuring it out myself.
EDIT: Got it. Go to the folder you have the emulator in, then go to the config > games folder. Open one of the INI's named after the games and copy all the button macro bindings near the bottom. Then paste them into your preset controls INI. You'll be able to set the bindings within FBA.

Thanks I finally managed to set the extra macros!

Ah the bane of being a pad player for so long.
OK seriously my timings on Butt's combos has gotten rusty @_@

Tizoc

HcPJFNd.gif

I can't do Grant's Cr. A links consistently anymore

Tizoc

So some quick Tizoc tricks in Garou
You can jump cancel his HCF+B by holding any upwards direction

HCF+B can then be followed up with either
QCF+A in the air
A Potato Wave
B Olympus Over
QCFx2+LK
TOP Attack

If you time it right, you can do QCF, UF+A after HCF+B and it'll connect

It IS possible to connect with all 3 hits of his QCFx2+LK after an HCF+B but the timing is uber strict.

You can buffer a Standing A, Cr. A or Standing B during his QCFx2+HK super, eg
QCF+LP,QCF+HK will combo

That's it for now, g'nite

Oh and have fun doing Kevin's 50%+ corner combos at the corner :V

bVork

Can you upgrade your payment at a later date (within the timeframe) to receive the other games?
Yep. There's an option to increase your pledge on your purchase page. The average for the BTA tier is locked at whatever it was when you made your initial payment.

2 is okay but 1 is way better. ST1 doesn't have nearly as much slowdown and 2 is a noticeable step down from 1 considering there's way less characters and no team mode.

Agreed.
ST1 also has more paths, and the visuals are much cleaner. The rendered look is neat at first, but Shock Troopers involves a lot of melee kills (for bonus points and power-up drops). It gets too messy in ST2 to be very effective.

OmegaDL50

No KOF 13? Do you think it'll show up?

It's a likely candidate for the $10 tier. They are adding 4 more games.

Hopefully they get Last Blade 2 in there as well.

I don't think KOF13 will show up.

Simply on the basis that bundle is supposed to represent the 25 year Anniversary of the NeoGeo itself.

While KOF13 is indeed an SNK game, It wasn't really a NeoGeo release. While some may make an argument that KOF2k2UM and KOF98UM weren't NeoGeo games either, the original games they are based on are.

So I expect four 4 more NeoGeo titles.

Hopefully Blazing Star, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, and Last Blade 2 are possibly 3 of those.

SInce going through the NeoGeo image of the games and they are ordered alphabetically, the ones I mention all have likely chances of fitting in each slot.

OuiOuiBa

Nice deal considering the free access to the ROMs after installation, I wish more publishers started doing the same, both on PC and console (a single one of these games on console would usually be priced around $5-10 for both less features and less freedom than a legal ROM and an emulator can provide).

Just tried the Humble GAROU set in mame, runs just fine. DotEmu didn't even bother renaming files.
About that: the name of the files inside a .zip file do not matter for MAME.
MAME has got a list of checksums, if for every of these the archive contain a file with the corresponding checksum, it will work ;)

Awakened

If you're fine with the default inputs they map for each core to the RetroPad it's really nice. You set up your mappings once (or let autoconfig take over, which works well for xinput controllers) and you're done. There's an option in the Quick Menu called Core Input Options where you can change the core's mappings and save a remap file if you don't like the defaults for that core. You have to have the core and a game loaded to access those options. When a core and game are loaded you'll even see the proper labeling for the buttons of the system your emulating. For most cores anyways; MAME doesn't have labels because they'd just be Button 1, Button 2, ect. and not mean much. The MAME core can make things difficult since you can also remap stuff inside it's own GUI, which you can access with left trigger or Tab by default. I'm really glad that's there though, since I'm picky about my arcade game mappings.
For me, there's also loading the roms. Having to navigate through my files from the root with a controller is a pain in the ass. There's supposed to be an option for changing the path you start in, but I couldn't find it.
In directory settings it's called File Browser Dir. At least in the latest nightlies, I forget if it used to be called something else.

I remember people going "Retroarch is PERFECT and WONDERFUL and if you use anything else you are STUPID and should DIE"

There's a learning curve there, but once you get it, having one interface for everything makes trying new emulators much easier. Assuming there's a libretro version of them. You don't have to worry about learning new input or video options. Core options are all grouped into one place. It's one of the easiest ways to get emulators launched from frontends because of it's robust command line support and remappable hotkeys. It launches seamlessly from Steam now that the console is hidden in the nightlies. And RetroArch has the best video options for low latency, smooth scrolling at 120hz, custom aspect ratio and shaders. I love the CRT-Easymode-Halation shader because it's the perfect blend of light scanlines and a Lotte's shadow mask without losing brightness:

dadjumper

I picked this up the other day but I'm kinda disappointed about the lack of the ability to remap the controls for keyboard (for playing at university :) )
How is the controller support handled? I'm going to build a little adapter so I can get my AES controller working on PC and play that way. Will I be able to remap the controls? Or should I just pull the roms out and use a different emulator?

Legal romsets are pretty neat

Qmzn

Neo Member
$10 for "legitimate" roms is good enough for me, but I was sold the second I saw the FLACs of those four soundtracks, which are some of SNKs best early work. I'm a sucker for anything remotely resembling an official SNK soundtrack release.

Fresh-ish album art too, plus some spartan ID3 tags in Japanese. Unfortunately, whoever organized them (I like to picture a sad, sad Japanese man working out of a broom closet) tagged every album except Metal Slug as 龍虎の拳2 (Art of Fighting 2).

I wonder if they were assembled by the same leftovers team that worked on Rhythm of Fighters, and how the waveforms stack up to rips of the original releases. EDIT: Listening to the 25th Anniversary FLACs of Metal Slug 3 versus ones pulled from the Metal Slug Complete Sound Box, the new ones sound slightly different, like there might be a little bit of extra stereo separation in the new ones, or a tiny bit of reverb added to the Sound Box. No instruments missing or any degradation in quality between the two, though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I picked this up the other day but I'm kinda disappointed about the lack of the ability to remap the controls for keyboard (for playing at university :) )
How is the controller support handled? I'm going to build a little adapter so I can get my AES controller working on PC and play that way. Will I be able to remap the controls? Or should I just pull the roms out and use a different emulator?

Legal romsets are pretty neat

No control remapping, use MAME/Fightcade/Retroarch.

sibarraz

Banned
can you play with 2 players on this games?

I don' get DotEmu logic with the mapping for the keyboard, THE ABC buttons are perfectly suited, but the D is in a bad position since nobody plays with the D-SK button alone on the top (except singapore I think)

I would have been better if they did

A
ZXC

A
BCD

smisk

More than a year ago, we bought 100% of the rights to use Gametap’s emulator Nebula, along with many other emulators.

Hoping this means we see something similar for Saturn. Didn't GameTap have Saturn games at one point?

Tain

Back before I had a gsync display I found the way RetroArch handled screen buffering to be worse than MAME. Or maybe that's core-dependent? I don't think it is because Famicom games had the same issues.

I don't worry about that stuff anymore but I still prefer MAME.

RetroGreg

I already own the Steam keys. Here goes:

Metal Slug: 9B4KJ-MDLXT-T8MLK

Metal Slug 3: ZR0PJ-ZMFA5-XLDD0

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH FINAL EDITION:

VQLQK-B9WQC-HBWLG

Metal Slug X: IA2NV-FGNKT-L60E3

THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH:

P9Z3Q-CKGT6-X0T9T

Getting this error on FBA for everything, all of the ROM files placed with the neogeo.zip

745674bba3.png

Anyone know how to fix it? Using the fightcade version of FBA

Update: after leaving the games running for a few second, the games run fine, beforehand I have this:

Tizoc

Getting this error on FBA for everything, all of the ROM files placed with the neogeo.zip

745674bba3.png

Anyone know how to fix it? Using the fightcade version of FBA

Update: after leaving the games running for a few second, the games run fine, beforehand I have this:

Yeah don't worry about that, the games should all run fine on Fightcade, just give it a few seconds and it'll work.

For Metal Slug 2 though, use the JP MVS, since the AES censors the blood.

I already own the Steam keys. Here goes:

Metal Slug: 9B4KJ-MDLXT-T8MLK

Metal Slug 3: ZR0PJ-ZMFA5-XLDD0

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH FINAL EDITION:

VQLQK-B9WQC-HBWLG

Metal Slug X: IA2NV-FGNKT-L60E3

THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH:

P9Z3Q-CKGT6-X0T9T

Damn.. the one time I get off of GAF to go study and I lose out on free games. I am hurt.

Yeah don't worry about that, the games should all run fine on Fightcade, just give it a few seconds and it'll work.

For Metal Slug 2 though, use the JP MVS, since the AES censors the blood.

They don't work with Fightcade online MP though, the emulator stops once the error appears. Real shame.

I've tried screwing around with fixing the romset with Romcenter, but I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm kind of confused here. How exactly do I change the in-game settings for MVS games (like changing the difficulty to 8 instead of 4) in Fightcade? Is it just turning on setting mode in the DIPswitch menu and changing the in-game settings from there? So far it's not working for me. I tried it with Metal Slug MVS and Twinkle Star Sprites, and it just displays a blank screen after the glitchy looking ones.

Tizoc

I'm kind of confused here. How exactly do I change the in-game settings for MVS games (like changing the difficulty to 8 instead of 4) in Fightcade? Is it just turning on setting mode in the DIPswitch menu and changing the in-game settings from there? So far it's not working for me. I tried it with Metal Slug MVS and Twinkle Star Sprites, and it just displays a blank screen after the glitchy looking ones.

In Fightcade, Press F2 to bring up the config menu for MVS games.

Or get Final Burn Alpha and after setting up the games, F2 by default brings up the config menu.

OK Bored at work so let me drop some Garou MotW tidbits for y'all to try out

Rock
His Stand AB should be Kara Cancelable; Press AB then quickly input a special or super and he'll cancel the animation to it.

The Hold AB follow up to his 360+C juggles opponents

QCFx2+HK puts the opponent in Juggle status after the rising tackle part

His QCFx2+HP has slow start up so be careful if you want to use it as an anti-air. Either settle for Dwn+AB or QCFx2+LP instead, if not a Rising Tackle. Furthermore don't bother comboing into it, his QCFx2+HK is good enough.

Terry
Fwd, Fwd+C can be combo-ed after

The 2nd hit of QCFx2+LK actually puts opponents into a juggle state, but you will rarely if ever be able to combo after it

QCFx2+HP is a waste of meter, don't bother with

You can follow-up his C, Fwd+C chain combo with linking in his QCFx2+HP though

You can OTG someone with QCFx2+LP if you time it right after a Counter Hit Juggle

Dong Hwan
You can combo 2 air supers together, the timing is tricky though to get the most damage

Cr. B, Cr. C is one of Dong's best links, make sure to learn it since it can be used to combo into his QCFx3+HP super. Cr. C is cancelable

Don't waste meter on QCFx2+HK, but QCFx2+HP in the air deals good damage

Abuse Dong's air control, he's got high jump, wall jump and strong air pressure

Jae Hoon
Unlike Dong, Jae Hoon's mobility feels 'restricted', but he makes up for it with some good damaging combos

Like Dong, he can do Cr. B, Cr. C, cancel that into QCF+K for some good damage

Hold C during his QCFx2+C super for a damaging finisher

First hit of Jae's B Hien-zan would deal more damage so Break that ver. whenever you want to use it for combos

His QCFx2+P super juggles opponents

All in all, Jae's supers are all good, but I can't remember if his QCFx2+P is any good as an anti-air

If you have crazy good timing you could Feint Cancel his Dwn+AB infinitely

Hotaru
Pressing CD in the air will have her sprite face the opposite direction she was facing, you can use this to escape using her QCB+K

Her QCB+K in the air juggles opponents, you can Tiger knee it as QCB, Up+K as well

Her TOP juggles opponents as well but only airbourne ones or during a Counter Hit

Her QCFx2+K deals more damage to airbourne opponents

Her QCFx2+P super may miss 1 or 2 hits unless it is done point blank

You can cancel her Dwn+B into a Normal or QCB+K

Gato
Like Hotaru, CD in the air serves the same function, but even though he doesn't have any air specials you could use it to set up a cross-up

You can link after his Close Standing HK

Of Gato's 4 main specials, 3 of them juggle the opponent

His DP+LK juggles opponents, so always combo a QCFx2+LP after it if you can

You should be able to Break his QCB+K, though atm I can't remember if it was only LK or HK ver.

The LK follow-up of his QCB+K juggles opponents, normally you can link 2 of them then juggle with your own follow up. The most I've ever seen is 4 LK follow ups but the timing is difficult

His QCFx2+LK super can juggle opponents but you will rarely, if ever, get the chance to follow up on it. You can see this by knocking an opponent down then having them hit by the super during their last frames of recovery animation. Done right not all hits of the super connect and they'll remain in the air for long enough for you to combo after

His QCFx2+LP super has near 0 frame start up, but has no invincibility, you can hit him out of the first punch if you time it right, but that in itself is risky

Khushnood Butt Rodriguez
His QCF+P deals more damage at near point blank range, a throwback to how Ryo and co. had their short range projectiles in KoF. It only juggles on Counter Hits though

QCF+LK will juggle airbourne opponents

Butt's DP+P moves him forward, with the HP ver. moving him farther ahead than LP. Breaking DP+LP can be spammed to build meter but it is, oddly enough, the hardest move to Break. For some players Holding Dwn-Fwd when pressing AB will guarantee Butt stops the attack

When at the corner, Break the LP Uppercut because the HP ver. pushes you forward and prevents you from following up with QCF+LK, in combos.

Far Standing HK is Kara cancelable

His TOP juggles opponent as long as the last punch doesn't connect

Butt's QCFx2+LP super has a really long start up, the only thing it combos from is his Dwn+AB (Dwn+AB>QCFx2+LP)

His QCFx2+K super has near 0 frame start up, always finish your combos with it

You can combo after his Fwd+A overhead

Use his Close St. HK in combos for maximum damage

His QCFx3+HP super has 4 versions depending on how quickly you mash the HP button.
The first 3 has him rush his opponents with an auto-combo much like Joe's super from KoF
Lvl. 4 is the most difficult to achieve and has him fire projectiles and finish with an uppercut. Lvl. 4 can be juggled into, but otherwise just stick to QCFx2+K for most effective damage

His QCB+LP/LK counters juggle opponents and he should be invincible during the early dash animation

His Charge HP or HK attacks should juggle the opponent if timed correctly

QCFx2+LP can OTG an opponent that was counter hit juggled

Hokutomaru
Hokutomaru has near a dozen 2-3 hit chain combos that he can do in the air or on the ground. These can be Feint Canceled though.

A few of the chain combos end with Feint animation that can't be combo-ed after

His QCB+HK will always home in on an opponent

His QCFx2+K actually puts opponents in juggle state

You can end his QCFx2+P super early by pressing LP+LK, but this'd deal less damage

His Dwn-Fwd+HK juggles opponents, if you break his QCF+K, the 2nd hit will connect and juggle

It is possible to link a super if you do QCF, U+P for the air Shuriken

QCB+HP is his strongest special move

His Dwn+AB can be followed up by pressing BC

B. Jennet
Like Dong she has a High Jump

Her Dwn+Kick in the air follow-ups juggles opponents, but the last Kick doesn't. If you Break QCF+K you can juggle multiple times using her Dive move if move timed correctly

All hits of her Guard Counter super will still connect on an air bourne opponent

Tizoc/Griffon Mask
His LP Potato Wave puts opponents into an OTG state, you can combo a Cr. HK or Standing LK after it. Same applies for last hit of QCFx2+LK.

QCFx2+LK is the worst super in the game, damage is pitiful, it has no inv. frames on start up, slow-ass start up. Only 2 things going for it are the range on the first hit and first hit being an overhead.

You can jump cancel his HCF+B by holding any upwards direction after it connects on an opponent

HCF+B can then be followed up with either
QCF+A in the air
A Potato Wave
B Olympus Over
QCFx2+LK
TOP Attack

If you time it right, you can do QCF, UF+A after HCF+B and it'll connect

It IS possible to connect with all 3 hits of his QCFx2+LK after an HCF+B but the timing is uber strict.

You can buffer a Standing A, Cr. A or Standing B during his QCFx2+HK super, eg
QCF+LP,QCF+HK will combo

Tizoc is the only character in the game to get Kittaa! to play without even damaging the opponent with a Super at the end of a match

Freeman
If positioned properly, you can combo a Cr. C after his QCFx2+LK super is triggered

Due to how damage scaling works, avoid using QCFx2+HP unless in TOP mode, the extra damage it deals is pitiful outside of it

None of his special moves juggle outside of Counter Hitting with them

Kevin
Kevin's one of the strongest characters in the game and at the corner is capable of 100% damage combos.

His QCB+P has 3 levels, LP Lvl. 2 can juggle opponents, so you could do QCF+K, Break>Lvl. 2 Bovine

His QCFx2+HK has near 0 frame start up but is the weakest damaging P. Power along with Kain's HK super.

With proper timing you can juggle the opponent with his S. Powers at the corner

Grant
Grant's only cancelable Normal is the first hit of his Dwn+AB

His Far Standing HK is Kara cancelable

Dwn-Fwd+C juggles opponents

You can link specials or Supers after his Standing A or Crouching A

His QCFx2+K has near 0 frame start up

You can link a Standing or Crouching A after his Close Standing HK

Kain
His Dwn+AB has a follow up attack; Press C during it to do an uppercut that is Super cancelable

You only need to hold a direction for 1 second to perform his special moves

Both his supers can put the opponent in a juggle state

That's it off the top of my head for now :X

I can't handle these keyboard controls on these emulated SNK games. Is Joy2Key OK to download? I heard sketchy things about it.

EDIT: Nevermind they has native xinput support.

What controllers do you have PS3 or PS4?

Neither. An Xbone controller.

EDIT: Ah shit, I just realized that they might just have native xinput support that's not shown on the emulator launcher options and just found out they work. Ignore my post.

Tizoc

^An XBone controller? That should be recognized fine I think, just go download Final Burn Alpha it is the same emulator used in Fightcade, fiddle with the settings a bit and you should be able to map the X1 buttons to the emulator

It only takes maybe 10 minutes at most, but just place the game.zip and neogeo.zip into the rom folder that FB Alpha is in and the emu should recognize it and let you play it.

I'm suffering too. I got
PS3 controllers and a USB Snes pad. None working for me on Mac.

Well I have a PS4 controller and use a software to run it on my Win 8.1 to have be treated as a 360 controller.

Check this thread and ask around if someone can provide a PS3 option
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1081643

Note that my DS4 is recognized by Fightcade and FB Alpha :X

Top Bottom