• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

Briarios

The fact that we're getting essentially legal ROMS blows my mind

As does the fact that people are focusing on the goddamn emulator licensing issues instead

Exactly. This whole debate is ludicrous. It's amazing that people can now have all these ROMs legally. It's an amazing deal, and with all the theft of their games over the years, I have no problem with this -- especially with the knowledge they purchased the rights to the emulator legally.

sörine

Banned
I don't know why people were so quick to assume DotEmu was doing this stuff illegally. Their stuff is kind of shoddy yeah, but they are a legitimate company.
Their answer about how they're doing it legally actually raises more questions. How did they buy rights to Nebula from Gametap when Gametap never owned it?

DooMAGE

sörine;188536649 said:
Their answer about how they're doing it legally actually raises more questions. How did they buy rights to Nebula from Gametap when Gametap never owned it?

Yeah I was thinking about this too. lol
Something is going now.

I don't know why people were so quick to assume DotEmu was doing this stuff illegally. Their stuff is kind of shoddy yeah, but they are a legitimate company.

Because GameTap logos and references to Capcom's CPS formats inside of their Neo-Geo software is super-suspicious, and companies have made an unfortunate habit of stealing emulation software to include in their products on the market? The ROMs being torrented doesn't help.

Like I said at the bottom of the last page, it's good if this is true. But given the situation, some kind of proof would be nice.

The real question is why does it matter

They don't owe proof, or anything of that ilk. They say they licensed it legally, that's not a claim you just hurl out there. If Nebula wants to make it a thing, then they will.

And fucking lol at caring about the ROMs being torrented, I'm sure they care

Tizoc

I'm just hoping this'll cause a resurgence of Garou, et.c games being played online via Fightcade and it's ilk.

The real question is why does it matter
They don't owe proof, or anything of that ilk. They say they licensed it legally, that's not a claim you just hurl out there. If Nebula wants to make it a thing, then they will.

Because if they don't have the rights to the emulator, by buying this package you could be, ironically, supporting software piracy.

Because if they don't have the rights to the emulator, by buying this package you could be, ironically, supporting software piracy.

Something that nobody will ever actually push me on or push SNK on. They say they got it legally. If you want more proof, get a court to make them give it.

I'll live. The world will spin on. They don't owe us shit. This is a complete waste of time when we should be supporting SNK for doing the balls out weird ass move of literally going 'hey, these ROMs are cool for you to use, you bought them'

Tizoc

It just occured to me that there aren't any World Heroes games here. WHP would be a neat addition and THAT would be one other game worthy of a translation since even during matches JP text show up by a character's life bar; fight banter in it's earliest form!

OmegaDL50

This doesn't make sense.

Humblebundle had to first hash an agreement with SNK Playmore to get the licenses to sell these games in the first place.

In regards to Emulation itself. The emulator alone is not an act of piracy since most emulators don't even use copyrighted code from the original hardware and are reverse engineered to simulate the hardware it's emulating.

The copyrighted portions are the BIOS and Games themselves.

Now the questionable thing is if the Emulator authors usually frown upon their emulators being bundled with illegal software. However in this case Humble getting the proper licenses through SNK, then wouldn't that effectively mean said game software bundled with the emulator is legal since it went directly through the copyright holder of the games.

The biggest issue is if GameTAP had the proper permissions to distribute Nebula in the first place.

I seriously doubt SNK would allow people to sell their IPs unchecked without some sort of license agreement in the first place.

With that said the ROMs themselves are legal in this sense. The Emulator not so much, but the ROMs themselves being the most important thing in this case. So if buying the ROMs grants you a license for their use, then using an alternative emulator would get around this issue, no?

tuffy

Legitimate IP holders have used MAME code for their releases in the past and it's never been a big deal. The emulator's "no commercial use" license clause is intended to thwart piracy, not as something to be used against the rightful owners of the game.

OmegaDL50

This whole situation smells scummy, they need to explain this story better.

As I said in my previous post. The Roms themselves are probably legal because Humble had to get some kind of agreement from SNK Playmore to sell them in the first place.

The emulator however might be a different issue entirely.

The best workaround this issue is to use your legal roms on an alternative emulator like Retroarch.

It's probably will run the games better then whatever old version of Nebula that DotEmu is using anyways.

Legitimate IP holders have used MAME code for their releases in the past and it's never been a big deal. The emulator's "no commercial use" license clause is intended to thwart piracy, not as something to be used against the rightful owners of the game.

Thank you, that was my point.

Copyrighted and illegal software being bundled with an emulator. This is a No No.

Legally obtained and licensed software (Roms) through the original IP holder with an emulator, Not illegal.

The biggest thing though is if DotEmu is giving a cut of any sales to author of Nebula or whatever codebase they are using. If they even got permissions to use it in the first place.

sörine;188536649 said:

They are saying that Gametaps emulator is just a repackaged/modified version of Nebula. Which back in the day was licensed by Gametap for their personal use. A quick glance at the Nebula site - it doesn't even look like the emulator is open source. Thus the only way to get the source code in the first place was to talk with the people making it.

Because GameTap logos and references to Capcom's CPS formats inside of their Neo-Geo software is super-suspicious, and companies have made an unfortunate habit of stealing emulation software to include in their products on the market? The ROMs being torrented doesn't help.

Like I said at the bottom of the last page, it's good if this is true. But given the situation, some kind of proof would be nice.

Gametaps logos are there because DotEmu was too lazy to remove them, and they didn't have to. References to CPS and such in the binary are there because the emulator in question is a multi hardware emulator, it emulates more than just NeoGeo. Some shady companies have a history of using software illegally yes but also paying for licensed software solutions has happened for decades.

Them using torrented ROMS is probably for the best - I am not sure I really trust DotEmu to dump the ROMS themselves and they are in legal right to use them anyway. I am not sure what the "situation" is here. Do you require seeing the written contract for every game you play with some sort of middleware solution involved? I am pretty sure DotEmu has been doing stuff like this for about a decade.

I am going to go with innocent until proven guilty (by whoever owns the emulator) on this one.

Knurek

Can I hope against hope that one of the remaining games is Last Blade 2?

Man, the animation in Last Blade is so great.

Last Blade 1 > Last Blade 2
Unawakened Kaede <3

I don't even disagree with you, I just want Hibiki Takane.
Also, I like the LB2 backgrounds better.

Kaede's stage from LB1 is so beautiful.
Pity I didn't see it that much, since I was only playing as Kaede...
I mean...

lastblade-kaede-stage-animate.gif

Gametaps logos are there because DotEmu was too lazy to remove them, and they didn't have to. References to CPS and such in the binary are there because the emulator in question is a multi hardware emulator, it emulates more than just NeoGeo. Some shady companies have a history of using software illegally yes but also paying for licensed software solutions has happened for decades.

I already stated as such. I think most people had initially assumed DotEmu had their own emulation software, until digging was done. Hence the alarm bells at such odd things appearing in an emulator for Neo-Geo games.

Them using torrented ROMS is probably for the best - I am not sure I really trust DotEmu to dump the ROMS themselves and they are in legal right to use them anyway.

That's a weird vote of confidence. You don't trust them to dump the ROMs?

I am not sure what the "situation" is here. Do you require seeing the written contract for every game you play with some sort of middleware solution involved?

Wow, way to muddy up the point, with a vague attack in there. Emulation software is ripped off quite often, and I think people were surprised DotEmu purchased the legal rights from the now-defunct GameTap (which I admit I didn't know was French until just now) instead of having their own emulator. There's nothing wrong with healthy suspicion when it comes to this market. Companies have lied to people's faces about using emulators before; it's something to be suspicious about. And they're usually the first ones to threaten legal action at anyone who suggests otherwise, hence why the open letter didn't relieve my concerns.

After reading GameTap was French, that puts a missing piece of the puzzle in there, I can probably put my personal suspicions to rest. I was only reacting to the information other people put out there, after all, not to mention the apparent surprise and confusion by the community.

Beckx

And on the latter I can't figure out for the life of me how to actually load shaders within RetroArch. I found the filters setting but I can't see "shaders" anywhere in the settings.

Yeah, I figured this out by trial error, like everything else I know about Retroarch. There seem to be very few good tutorials. To load shaders I go to the shaders option, then I believe the option is "load preset" or something like that, and then you get various folders that aren't always helpfully named. But in this case, it is - you want the CRT folder, then there are several options you can choose.

Apparently whatever I did only worked for Garou. Can't get Fatal Fury Special to boot. You only need ONE of the Bios files right? How does RetroArch know where to look for them? Edit: Maybe it just needs a different core I don't know. I'll try again tomorrow.

Here's what I did with Retroarch to set up the thing a few months ago (when I got a Kazzo for my NES games and a Retrode2 for the rest):

1. I unzipped Retroarch to my downloads folder and left it there. I could probably move it somewhere, but why bother. I have never moved any files - ROMs or otherwise - into Retroarch's file structure.

2. The directory I use for my ROMs is in a totally separate place, at top level C: drive. I have subfolders for various consoles.

3. After downloading everything from the bundle yesterday, my subfolder for NeoGeo (C:/ROM/Neogeo) has 1 copy of neogeo.zip and then all the GameName.zip files (e.g., garou.zip, etc. (note that King of the Fighters 02 has two zip files and you run the game from the first one)).

4. I boot up Retroarch - and even though you've already got it, I'll add this step for anyone new to Retroarch: go to Online Updater, then select the option to download cores (it's near the top). I use the Final Burn Alpha core called "Arcade (FB Alpha)". The core will download and then you'll be ready to roll.

5. Go back to RA's main menu, select Load Core and pick the Arcade core you downloaded.

6. Select Load Content from the main menu, this should show you all your drive options on your PC, navigate to your rom folder (this is why I use C:/$1ROM for mine, so it's very easy to get to). Go to your NeoGeo subfolder and pick the game you want to run (not the neogeo bios zip). For me, everything I tried (I tried about half the ROMs last night) worked fine. If not, you'll need help beyond my noob knowledge. :/

7. Select shaders, configure controls, etc. as desired. Note that RetroArch (a) assume the pad layout is a nintendo style B/A layout, not Xbox A/B, and (b) analog sticks do not send out dpad by default and you'll need to configure that in Input options.

8. F1 is the magic key to take you to the quick menu where you can save and load states, reset the game, take screenshots, etc. I have F1, the screenshot key, and save state key all bound to my steam controller for ease of use. (I prefer to have RA take screenshots then move them to the steam screenshot folder.)

Hope this helps in some way. I know there are probably better ways to set up Retroarch - like I know it can auto scan for ROMs and put them into a content directory so that you don't have to do the load core, load content thing that I describe, but I've never really bothered to figure that out. Hopefully someone with real knowledge (rather than my trial and error suggestions) can give a real detailed tutorial on the best way to set things up.

BOTEC

Man...fucking Irem...I really would've loved for Undercover Cop to be added but I doubt anyone even owns the rights to that game anymore ToT

You just mentioned the 2 games I actually want them to add :p

Incidentally, Undercover Cops was in one of the first classic arcade bundles DotEmu ever put out, Irem Arcade Hits. That one was a real garbage emulator, with no joystick support, or graphics options. I never managed to extract uccops.zip from the program files, but after this I'll give it another go with a ROM manager.

Yaaaaay
This was a stupid scenario that got started by some gob on Twitter who was bored

No, it's good people check this sort of thing, and if they hadn't, someone else probably would've found it and had the same questions raised.

I know you don't care about it, you've said as much, but others do.

No, it's good people check this sort of thing, and if they hadn't, someone else probably would've found it and had the same questions raised.

I know you don't care about it, you've said as much, but others do.

I would absolutely care if something of actual substance was there, but like always, its Much Ado About Nothing

So instead of supporting SNK for actually giving us legal ROMS for once, you decided to steer the conversation towards them using torrented ROMS (the irony is astounding) on an emulator that they possibly don't have a license for (which they have unequivocally said they do). If that isn't enough for you, then whatever.

RedSwirl

Yeah, I figured this out by trial error, like everything else I know about Retroarch. There seem to be very few good tutorials. To load shaders I go to the shaders option, then I believe the option is "load preset" or something like that, and then you get various folders that aren't always helpfully named. But in this case, it is - you want the CRT folder, then there are several options you can choose.

Yeah I can't find the "shaders" option at all. I've looked everywhere in RetroArch for it. The shader files are there when I look in the system files, I just can't find out how to apply them within RetroArch.

Here's what I did with Retroarch to set up the thing a few months ago (when I got a Kazzo for my NES games and a Retrode2 for the rest):

1. I unzipped Retroarch to my downloads folder and left it there. I could probably move it somewhere, but why bother. I have never moved any files - ROMs or otherwise - into Retroarch's file structure.

2. The directory I use for my ROMs is in a totally separate place, at top level C: drive. I have subfolders for various consoles.

3. After downloading everything from the bundle yesterday, my subfolder for NeoGeo (C:/ROM/Neogeo) has 1 copy of neogeo.zip and then all the GameName.zip files (e.g., garou.zip, etc. (note that King of the Fighters 02 has two zip files and you run the game from the first one)).

4. I boot up Retroarch - and even though you've already got it, I'll add this step for anyone new to Retroarch: go to Online Updater, then select the option to download cores (it's near the top). I use the Final Burn Alpha core called "Arcade (FB Alpha)". The core will download and then you'll be ready to roll.

5. Go back to RA's main menu, select Load Core and pick the Arcade core you downloaded.

6. Select Load Content from the main menu, this should show you all your drive options on your PC, navigate to your rom folder (this is why I use C:/$1ROM for mine, so it's very easy to get to). Go to your NeoGeo subfolder and pick the game you want to run (not the neogeo bios zip). For me, everything I tried (I tried about half the ROMs last night) worked fine. If not, you'll need help beyond my noob knowledge. :/

7. Select shaders, configure controls, etc. as desired. Note that RetroArch (a) assume the pad layout is a nintendo style B/A layout, not Xbox A/B, and (b) analog sticks do not send out dpad by default and you'll need to configure that in Input options.

8. F1 is the magic key to take you to the quick menu where you can save and load states, reset the game, take screenshots, etc. I have F1, the screenshot key, and save state key all bound to my steam controller for ease of use. (I prefer to have RA take screenshots then move them to the steam screenshot folder.)

Hope this helps in some way. I know there are probably better ways to set up Retroarch - like I know it can auto scan for ROMs and put them into a content directory so that you don't have to do the load core, load content thing that I describe, but I've never really bothered to figure that out. Hopefully someone with real knowledge (rather than my trial and error suggestions) can give a real detailed tutorial on the best way to set things up.

Yeah my setup is kinda different. For one thing none if it is on the C: Drive. RetroArch and all my ROMs are on a separate drive together, but I still don't get how RetroArch knows the BIOS file is where you put it. There's no step in the process where you actually tell it to load the BIOS file. I have my BIOS file in the same folder where all my NeoGeo ROMs are, but for some reason Garou didn't work until I put a BIOS file in another folder inside the RetroArch directory.

I haven't even used Nebula in years.

Is that even still regularly updated?

Even so I'll be coming up with a custom solution shortly that every can use for the roms on this bundle.

Look forward to it!

I will.

Dinjoralo

Yeah I can't find the "shaders" option at all. I've looked everywhere in RetroArch for it. The shader files are there when I look in the system files, I just can't find out how to apply them within RetroArch.

You have to start up a game and go back into the menu to apply shaders.

I would absolutely care if something of actual substance was there, but like always, its Much Ado About Nothing

No, you said:
Something that nobody will ever actually push me on or push SNK on. They say they got it legally. If you want more proof, get a court to make them give it.

I'll live. The world will spin on. They don't owe us shit.

That's you NOT caring. Again, companies have lied about this sort of thing before. It was super suspicious. Don't act like it's so obvious in hindsight that they purchased an emulator from GameTap of all places.

So instead of supporting SNK for actually giving us legal ROMS for once,

Seriously, I haven't bought this bundle, does it actually give you uncompressed ROM files? Because if you do any work to remove them from an obfuscated format, I would guess that that disqualifies it from being "legal ROMs", as you've stated twice now. It becomes the same as any packaged emulation product.

you decided to steer the conversation towards them using torrented ROMS (the irony is astounding)

How is that irony? You don't actually know what you're saying, do you? And I wasn't even the first person to bring it up, by far. Here's an entire thread on it.

on an emulator that they possibly don't have a license for (which they have unequivocally said they do). If that isn't enough for you, then whatever.

Suspicion is healthy when it comes to this shit. End of story.

Anyways back onto the bundle since that's what actually matters:

Do we have a general idea of the four secret games, or are we just spitballing

ScOULaris

I hadn't tested MS2 myself yet, but will when I get home later today. Gonna run it in an emu and see if the emulator can fix the slowdown or not :X

You can easily eliminate the slowdown in the Metal Slug games if you run them through the lbr-fba-next core in RetroArch, go to the Core Settings, and then set the CPU overclock to 200. This simulates the Neo-Geo itself having an overclocked CPU, which eliminates even the slowdown that the games had running on the original hardware. Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3... etc. all run like butter with the overclock nudged up a bit.

Tizoc

You can easily eliminate the slowdown in the Metal Slug games if you run them through the lbr-fba-next core in RetroArch, go to the Core Settings, and then set the CPU overclock to 200. This simulates the Neo-Geo itself having an overclocked CPU, which eliminates even the slowdown that the games had running on the original hardware. Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3... etc. all run like butter with the overclock nudged up a bit.

Ooooh than ks for this. will test it out in time.

Incidentally, Undercover Cops was in one of the first classic arcade bundles DotEmu ever put out, Irem Arcade Hits. That one was a real garbage emulator, with no joystick support, or graphics options. I never managed to extract uccops.zip from the program files, but after this I'll give it another go with a ROM manager.

Woah cool, i think I have one of those Irem collections, once you figure out how to find the ROM of it RetroArch should do the rest :D

IIRC there's way to use unawakened Kaede in LB2 - I'm not sure if it's specific to any given version through.

I can confirm that normal Kaede is indeed in Last Blade 2. He is however one of the weakest characters in the game :V

Beckx

I have my BIOS file in the same folder where all my NeoGeo ROMs are, but for some reason Garou didn't work until I put a BIOS file in another folder inside the RetroArch directory.

Sorry man, no idea. I wish there was a better guide. Garou was even the first game I started with. Everything has just worked for me.

Well, except retroarch sometimes forgets that I want my left stick on the steam controller to emulate the d-pad by default, heh.

Tizoc

Gonna mess with AoF2 for a bit via Fightcade but man...
This game REALLY needs to be modded with better button mapping @_@

Coreda

If Last Blade 2 was added I'd be so in. Those are the only two I'm interested in.

The fact that we're getting essentially legal ROMS blows my mind

Absolutely. This is what we've always wanted and now people are complaining? How many people actually have bought Neo-Geo copies of the games they've played, I mean really.

You would hope that they would get Code Mystics (they did the KOF2002UM and KOF98UM Steam ports and Metal Slug 3 PS4/Vita) to port their version of The Last Blade 2 PS4 to PC instead of a DotEmu version.

Dinjoralo

I'd recommend just using Finalburn Alpha on it's own for emulating, rather than the retroarch core. You lose out on shaders, but it's way less of a hassle to get working.

OmegaDL50

For those who want to use Steam as a frontend for their NeoGeo Rom library. Here is simple configuration for it.

Download your desired Emulator of choice. For the sake of this tutorial I will be using RetroArch latest stable release v1.2.2

Then you want to download Ice - http://scottrice.xyz/Ice/

It does not matter where you put Ice but for the convenience I will be setting up everything at C:\Games

After you downloaded RetroArch and Ice and have them unpacked at your directory of choice (C:\games)

Inside the Ice Folder there will be two text files. consoles.txt and emulators.txt

Open up emulators.txt and paste this into the text file at the bottom

[Neo Geo]
location=C:\Games\Retroarch\retroarch.exe
command=%l -f -L C:\Games\RetroArch\cores\fb_alpha_libretro.dll %r

Open up consoles.txt and paste this into the txt file at the bottom

[Neo Geo]
nickname=Neo Geo
emulator=Neo Geo
extensions=zip

In the Ice folder there is also a text file named config.txt, open this up.

Storage]
# The path to place your ROMs Directory. This can be in any drive or anywhere,
# as long as the full path is specified. Use ~ to represent your home folder
# (for example, C:\Users\Scott\)
#
# Set a directory where the ROMs are stored.
# If no directory is provided, "~/ROMs" is used.
# Example:
# ~\ROMs => C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\ROMs
ROMs Directory=PUT YOUR ROM DIRECTORY HERE

Don't forget to save any changes made.

Now run Ice.exe from the Ice folder (C:\games\ice\ice,exe)

Ice will automatically create the necessary folders if you have not made them.

In this case it would be C:\Games\Roms\Neo Geo

Inside the Neo Geo folder make sure the Bios (neogeo.zip usually) and all of your games are in this folder inside their respective zip files.

Make sure Steam is closed and re-run Ice.exe with your roms in their proper directories.

Ice will detect each game and add them to your Steam library.

Open Steam and in your library right click on NeoGeo and remove the shortcut.

Each game will not have their proper names so you can at this point right click on each game go to properties and give them their proper names.

Also if you want to setup custom image banners you can go to http://consolegrid.com/ or http://steambanners.booru.org/ enter the name of the game and download them. You can also get banners from another website or create your own.

By simply clicking on the game in your library the game will bypass retroarch and load immediately with any properly configured settings such as Region, Shaders, Etc.

Of course the game settings themselves would naturally need to be configured in Retroarch before hand and saved to get the desired selection.

EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO PLAY SHOCK TROOPERS 2!!!

Top down shooter 'mercs-like'... except it's much better than Mercs.

(also, what a dream to replay PULSTAR, I remembered it was hard, but not THAT hard).

Top Bottom