• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

Ninja Dom

I haven't gotten a chance to play any of the roms yet but are you playing them in chrome or on something else?

No. I'm a Safari user, I don't use Chrome. On the Mac it never gave me a Steam key for the games, just a downloadable dmg (Disk Image) for each game. This is the first tier of the bundle. In options for the games there is a joypad/controller option but it really only points out what the controls do, there's no configuring available.

So at the moment the only option I have to play these is via keyboard. A no-no. Unless I can find a way to extract the Roms and run them in a different working emulator.

OuiOuiBa

A friend is asking if this works on XP, would anyone happen to know ?
Thanks ! :)

edit: I meant the provided launchers, not external emulators

In Fightcade, Press F2 to bring up the config menu for MVS games.

Or get Final Burn Alpha and after setting up the games, F2 by default brings up the config menu.

Also tried the F2 option in Fightcade, and I still get a blank screen (even after switching settings around to see if it will display). Tried Final Burn Alpha, and that worked for changing in-game settings. *sigh* Does Fightcade hate me or something?

zeroroute

Banned
Elixer86k just posted on twitter that torrent remnants were found in some bundle files. Yep they're selling pirated ROMs. Would link tweet but on mobile.

JCG

As long as SNK Playmore is fully authorizing the legal sale and redistribution of their own IPs, where they decided to obtain materials from doesn't make a bit of difference.

I suppose we could call that lazy, which goes along with some of the default emulation limitations, but it's neither illegal nor unethical to do so.

Beckx

So uh, how long until we find out we all have some horrible virus on our system stealing everything we own?

shaowebb

Had a windows update. Now both the SNK 25th anniversary built in launcher works and runs fine with now frame rate issues and also Fightcade is running perfectly for me on all supported titles meaning I can play most with GGPO including twinkle star sprites, last blade and garuo :D

zoozilla

So I'm using RetroArch with one of the Neo Geo emulator cores (MAME keep crashing for me), and for the most part it works well.

I just wish there was a guide that clearly explained what each option means in the settings menus. I just want a fullscreen 4:3 1280x960 image on my 1080p monitor, but there are so many "aspect ratio" settings I'm not sure what's what.

Also, sound gets scratchy quite often. I think it might be related to my monitor's refresh rate, which is going crazy in the settings.

Other than that, external emulators are totally the way to go.

Awakened

I just wish there was a guide that clearly explained what each option means in the settings menus. I just want a fullscreen 4:3 1280x960 image on my 1080p monitor, but there are so many "aspect ratio" settings I'm not sure what's what.
I think turning on integer scale will do what you want. By default you should be getting a 4:3 aspect. But if you like an even pixel look while still being able to scale the image to the full vertical height of your monitor, you can leave that off and use the pixellate.cg shader. That adds a barely noticeable blur to make non-integer scaling look good. Much nicer than bilinear.

Radius wrote up a RetroArch getting started guide on the Libretro blog that's pretty helpful. There's a note there about how you can press Back/Select on menu items to get a brief description. Some of them get cut off and seem pretty technical though. And some don't have any description yet.

zoozilla

I think turning on integer scale will do what you want. By default you should be getting a 4:3 aspect. But if you like an even pixel look while still being able to scale the image to the full vertical height of your monitor, you can leave that off and use the pixellate.cg shader. That adds a barely noticeable blur to make non-integer scaling look good. Much nicer than bilinear.

Radius wrote up a RetroArch getting started guide on the Libretro blog that's pretty helpful. There's a note there about how you can press Back/Select on menu items to get a brief description. Some of them get cut off and seem pretty technical though. And some don't have any description yet.

That's just what I'm looking for, thanks.

Shaneus

Oh god, I just realised I need to find/buy one of these now:
Hkc5Q29.jpg

mollipen

I'm not really familiar with this Humble Bundle stuff. If I buy now, do I miss out on any games they add later? Am I better off just waiting until near the end to buy?

Drago

I'm not really familiar with this Humble Bundle stuff. If I buy now, do I miss out on any games they add later? Am I better off just waiting until near the end to buy?
If you buy now, you get instant access to the currently offered games and you get access to the bonus games once they are added. If you want to up your pledge if it's below the BTA or $10 tier, you can do that as well. No reason not to just buy it now!

purdobol

For maximum enjoyment I would recommend digging up old CRT monitor. Connecting it to the PC. Making custom resolution (3840x480) using this tool. Then configuring retroarch using this template. The last step is to choose one of the tvout shaders from cgp directory and all is set. Enjoy

dadjumper

Has anyone got these ROMs to run via RetroArch on mac? It crashes every time I select the zip file.

Edit: nevermind, I needed the correct bios!

Syriel

Elixer86k just posted on twitter that torrent remnants were found in some bundle files. Yep they're selling pirated ROMs. Would link tweet but on mobile.

The IP is owned by SNK.

By definition, these cannot be pirated ROMs as they are fully authorized by SNK.

Decado

How are the steam ports of metal slug? Uncensored, better quality than emulators?

Are the roms really just pulled from torrents?

1. Use the ROMs on another emulator with scanlines. That's the best option.

2. If you don't need full screen, there's an interesting method involving overlays here.

Lol thats me! (Funkalodon) That overlay solution is for games that dont work with crt shaders in sweetfx.

Coreda

This has likely been brought up previously but what is the most typically recommended Neo Geo emulator?

If command-line then front end suggestions would also be appreciated. Wish there were some prettier UIs similar to OpenEmu for Windows.

Edit: Finalburn Alpha is what I'm seeing recommended. Will try.

Edit 2: FB Alpha needs some gallery view. Looks like I'll need to look at Libretro/RetroArch? Also found LaunchBox which seems decent but some features restricted behind a Premium version:

bengraven

Fucking was JUST thinking about these games and how much I needed to get the collections for Wii but this is MUCH better.

Aru

I tried a few games on Mac. I didn't see anything wrong with the emulation outside of the lack of options in the frontend? The games look, sound and play like I remember them.

Whoever gets all of the games properly working in Final Burn Alpha and FightCade (especially Baseball Stars 2 and Samurai Shodown V) will make my year.

Kagemusha

I got it working on Win10 using Retroarch. And a 360 dpad. lol. I've never played SNK games on original hardware, so I guess ignorance is bliss.

If you've never used Retroarch, this is how I set it up:

1) Put the game zip files into Retroarch download folder.

2) Start Retroarch and navigate with direction keys and confirm with x and go back with z.

3) Configure stuf, such as enable per-core controller configs. Turn on menu toggle. Turn on analogue to digital if you want.

4) auto-download the NeoGeo core

5) load content from "downloaded file and dectect core"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Good news, everyone expecting Steam codes for the new games.
DotEmu has just released Raiden Legacy on Steam (after selling the game for the last few years on other storefronts/bundles.

Their official statement:

I lied about good news

Ugh, now I can see why this bundle has so many games.

Ah well, I guess I just won't be playing them directly from Steam. Considering what they are I guess this is the better way to access them anyway.

Top Bottom