• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of people line up for new PSVR shipment in Japan

nampad

This morning major retailers like Bic Camera and Sofmap passed out raffle tickets between 9am and 10am with winners announced starting at noon. Those lucky folks could then purchase the PlayStation VR between 12pm and 4pm.

Here’s how the raffle results were posted at the Sofmap in Akihabara.

Folks holding these numbers were able to buy the PSVR. That means that not everyone who waited was able to get the headset.

More amazing is that in Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo, people started lining up last night!

qzdtj2upsehpprzgd8ujiileq.jpg

Thought this was thread worthy.
Right now, Sony has production issues and can't stock the PSVR well enough. Because of that, I don't think we can safely say whether the PSVR is a success or not right now but seeing people lining up for the shipment is crazy.

This morning major retailers like Bic Camera and Sofmap passed out raffle tickets between 9am and 10am with winners announced starting at noon. Those lucky folks could then purchase the PlayStation VR between 12pm and 4pm.

They were doing the same thing recently at an electronics mall near me in Seoul. Bloody joke by Sony on stock levels.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
People also line up for Pro every restock in HongKong
PSVR still $500-$600 in my country's trade-in market.
As westerners think they're fail products, I really hope Sony give more Asia version to us.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Make some fucking games then, ffs. I guess Sony's first party output around the PS4 launch was also hot garbage but, still... Get it together.

Not Drake

I'm baffled by Sony's inability to provide steady PSVR shipment worldwide. I wanted to grab one and they're unavailable everywhere and noone knows when they might get new units. Bizarre.

mankoto

I want to know the breakdown for these lines.

How many are there due to the DOAX3 update?
How many are there due to RE7?
How many are there for Summer Lessons DLC?

JPS Kai

I want to know the breakdown for these lines.

How many are there due to the DOAX3 update?
How many are there due to RE7?
How many are there for Summer Lessons DLC?

Hey man, maybe they're just part of a blossoming RIGS e-sports community.

Haines

Banned
Vaporware

VR is dead

lol

But if it was nintendo made, everybody screams fake shortage.

Vr will do well when the technology is actually up to par. Resident evil is one game. That i can play on my tv even. It needs so many many more,

Yeah, PSVR was definitely a soft launch. Think it'll be a slow burner, but with more and more experiences like RE7, I think it'll hit somewhere between 10%-15% of the PS4 user base. Price might be a factor though, and of course not everyone wants to be scared, so going to need a hit in multiple genres.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Make some fucking games then, ffs. I guess Sony's first party output around the PS4 launch was also hot garbage but, still... Get it together.

Resident Evil 7 came out like two days ago?

Arguably RE7 is the most complete and polished AAA VR experience currently available regardless of platform.
It's without a doubt the way to play that game, if you got the stones for it, that is.

Reckheim

The PSVR shortages have been a bummer for me and my brother, been trying to get the bundle for at least 2 months now.

It might well be. RE7 is a really legit VR experience. If you enjoy getting the shit scared out of you then this is your killer app.

Naw , I'd say it's the novelty of VR. It's different and new and Japan loves stuff that isn't just sitting at home with a controller. Plus thanks to Sword Art Online style anime VR is hot again for a lot of people. Those days of basic home console gaming are basically dead. Top that off with supply issues and you get this. If this was back during home console dominance of the 90's then it wouldn't be hundreds it would thousands or tens of thousands.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Shit has been sold out all over ever since launch basically. So not surprised that there would be lines at locations that actually have units coming in.

Mendrox

But if it was nintendo made, everybody screams fake shortage.

Vr will do well when the technology is actually up to par. Resident evil is one game. That i can play on my tv even. It needs so many many more,

Dunno, but I am quiet content with DriveClub VR, RIGS, TumbleVR and many more including finally the Youtube VR player.

Resident Evil 7 VR is a whole different game in comparison to the normal 2D mode.

There is already quiet a good setup of games after only 3 months (compare that to the Switch currently).

It's okay, the early adopters have fun and anyone else can join the future in the future.

akileese

Sony fuck up big time, undership pro and PSVR to Asia.
What were they thinking?

Considering you still can't find one in most major US markets this may be a case of demand outstripping supply than under shipping units.

What's the availability like in Europe? Can you walk in and just buy one or no?

Top Bottom