• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter X Hunter's Hiatus Will Continue For Now, Says Publisher

Fou-Lu

That kind of flies in the face of what Kubo claims his life was like during Bleach's run. Namely a life of fun and happiness. I remember there was a huge deal made about the stuff he posts on twitter. He wasn't even gloating either, he just posts about nightclubs and wearing sunglasses indoors on a daily basis, and other such non-Bleach related stuff in his life.

I am sure it depends on your speed at drawing and how many assistants you have... And how little you care about your plot.

I'm totally okay waiting for more chapters! It was nice of them to give us an official statement. Between YYH and HXH Togashi has given us some of the most high quality shonen out there. Even if the series never finishes, I'm okay with that. Thank you for what you have given me, Togashi. :)

Edit: What exactly is the HXH compilation mentioned in the OP?

YYH's Dark Tournament and Chapter Black, HXH's Yorskhin arc, Chimera Ant arc, all the (spoilers for recent stuff in HXH)
Dark Continent set up material
are pure, classic shonen. And beyond the stuff that is in discussions for GOAT shonen arcs, YYH and HXH both are filled with other arcs that are amazing as well. I love Togashi. He has a family he focuses on. It's clear he has health issues. If the story never finishes, I'm at peace with that. We'll be talking about HXH forever

kewlmyc

To be expected, but I'm just mad that he continued after
Gon meets his dad.
It was the perfect place to end the series, but he didn't.

To add to this, he currently left the manga off right at a significant plot development featuring a certain troupe.

Wish he'd just hire assistants.

Fularu

Banned
I thought most of the long hiatuses were due to Togashi's poor health?

I'm a very longtime fan but of he needs to rest and heal, then so be it

HxH should just get a new writer. Togashi is basically a George Lucas that doesn't know how to write his characters or arcs properly. I'm way more critical of HxH than most people, but if Togashi was basically an idea guy and had someone else write the rest would people object?

This series has way too many hiatuses, compared to Naruto which is already over, or many successful mangas.

I love Naruto and it gets trashed on more than it deserves, but the second half of the series was an extremely mixed bag. I think Kishimoto needed to take a year break following the (series midway spoilers)
the Naruto/Sasuke fight when Sasuke leaves
. I think that would have helped Kishi iron out the rest of the plot.

HXH continues to grow in quality with every arc. Naruto, Bleach and others, struggle with quality consistency. I know the hiatuses are frustrating, but I don't want HXH's quality to drop.

HxH should just get a new writer. Togashi is basically a George Lucas that doesn't know how to write his characters or arcs properly. I'm way more critical of HxH than most people, but if Togashi was basically an idea guy and had someone else write the rest would people object?

Are you serious? HXH is brilliantly written. YYH is not perfect but it is adored. Togashi makes amazing manga. I understand not liking something but I don't understand calling something poor quality when that simply isn't the case, you just don't like it.

I thought most of the long hiatuses were due to Togashi's poor health?

I'm a very longtime fan but of he needs to rest and heal, then so be it

Exactly. In his last line of chapter releases, the little comments he made in Jump for each chapter described what his back pain does to him and it did not sound pretty at all

Style

Banned

I'm sorry, what?

Lulubop

Wtf lol. Togashi is on another level from most shonen mangaka and the set up for this arc is already on par if not better than him at his best.

Insane.

Also he has assistants, and yes it's because of his health.

DNAbro

This is literally the exact opposite of what people want. The reason people like it so much is cause of the writing.

cLOUDo

tenor.gif

Lulubop

He just write one of the best, and my favorite fight in the series the last time around while additionally setting up an incredibly complex and intriguing narrative for the arc going forward

Yonafunu

It's fine, I've long grown numb to this. It'll be back when it's back.

Same with Vagabond. Berserk at least has a semi-regular thing going now, but who knows for how long.

Just let it go.

He just write one of the best, and my favorite fight in the series the last time around while additionally setting up an incredibly complex and intriguing narrative for the arc going forward

That fight is legendary.
It felt like either person involved could have died
. I have never read a fight in a shonen that made me feel so much tension and uncertainty of the outcome

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Togashi needs an artist. I know some object to that but drawing seems to be the biggest obstacle.

This is bringing back Highschool of the Dead permanent hiatus pains all over again...

Basically cancelled at this point. Especially now that the writer passed away.

This combined with
aa62cbcb777fff96e4ac3eb3d43e844d8fc6dd55_hq.gif

pretty much sums up my reaction.
Togashi needs an artist. I know some object to that but drawing seems to be the biggest obstacle.

Basically cancelled at this point. Especially now that the writer passed away.
He should just get his wife to do it, who cares if Bisky looks like a fucking Sailor Scout.
10lkUdy.gif

Fandangox

Yeah, I hated the bullshit
Hisoka
pulled off after the fight, but even then, the actual fight was fantastic, and it was used to set up the upcoming tension thats gonna go down.

The fight was a fine example of how no matter how versatile, and powerful one's Nen is, if someone comes prepared for that, there's bound to be little one can do.

Yeah, I hated the bullshit
Hisoka
pulled off after the fight, but even then, the actual fight was fantastic, and it was used to set up the upcoming tension thats gonna go down.

The fight was a fine example of how no matter how versatile, and powerful one's Nen is, if someone comes prepared for that, there's bound to be little one can do.
Turns out Bungee Gum is almost as bullshit as the Gold Experience stand.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
looking at that weekly manga artist schedule thing

okay, fine, but you're telling me it's an all or nothing proposition?

it's better to have literal years with no content rather than just release pieces of the story on a monthly basis rather than weekly?

everything I hear about how the manga industry works sounds stupid as fuck

I wonder if HxH would suck as bad as other weekly series if Togashi didn't take these breaks.

You know he's mulling over the story in between playing DQ and writhing in agony over his back pain.

looking at that weekly manga artist schedule thing

okay, fine, but you're telling me it's an all or nothing proposition?

it's better to have literal years with no content rather than just release pieces of the story on a monthly basis rather than weekly?

everything I hear about how the manga industry works sounds stupid as fuck

This is what I don't get. Instead of working at a normal pace, they grind these guys up for a decade and then the manga stops flowing. What's the point? I guess it's all short term profits, when instead they could have long term careers. We don't hear about every single western comic book artist being dried up husk with broken backs unable to move because they've ruined their health.

Wtf lol. Togashi is on another level from most shonen mangaka and the set up for this arc is already on par if not better than him at his best.

Insane.

Also he has assistants, and yes it's because of his health.

I only watched up until a bit into the Alluka arc. I don't think I'm hard to please, you either need to have a good story(One Piece) or good fights(Bleach, Jojo) for me to be entertained, HxH has neither.

There is so much I could criticize about HxH like the fights being boring apart from
Uvogin vs the Shadow Beasts and Cheetu vs Morel
the rest were boring, too long and in no way complex or unique.
Wacky inflatable golden tube man was not a good fight.
The Nen restrictions is a worse plot device than even the Dragonballs as it just allows you to win anything you want, that ruins characters, arcs and basically the whole series for me.
The Phantom Troupe being pointless pushovers
. The pacing is horrendous in arcs like the Chimera Ant and then you have 'filler' like Greed Island that they got bored in the middle of it and started to play volleyball. There's much more I could go into, but I'll stop.

I do like the characters: Gon, Killua, Hisoka, Meruem etc. (apart from Kurapika) and a few things in the Chimera Ant arc.

This thread is making me want to read HxH despite my trepidation over the art...
From what I've heard the bad art gets cleaned up for the volume releases. You can also just watch the anime, though it's not as hyper detailed as the manga and with Nen bullshit, you need the detail to be less confused.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I only watched up until a bit into the Alluka arc. I don't think I'm hard to please, you either need to have a good story(One Piece) or good fights(Bleach, Jojo) for me to be entertained, HxH has neither.

There is so much I could criticize about HxH like the fights being boring apart from
Uvogin vs the Shadow Beasts and Cheetu vs Morel
the rest were boring, too long and in no way complex or unique.
Wacky inflatable golden tube man was not a good fight.
The Nen restrictions is a worse plot device than even the Dragonballs as it just allows you to win anything you want, that ruins characters, arcs and basically the whole series for me.
The Phantom Troupe being pointless pushovers
. The pacing is horrendous in arcs like the Chimera Ant and then you have 'filler' like Greed Island that they got bored in the middle of it and started to play volleyball. There's much more I could go into, but I'll stop.

I do like the characters: Gon, Killua, Hisoka, Meruem etc. (apart from Kurapika) and a few things in the Chimera Ant arc.

You should stop.

Daingurse

Well that sucks. Glad I didn't get my hopes up too much.

Can't wait till Togashi puts out some more chapters, love this fucking manga. The setup we were getting for The Dark Continent arc was incredible.

An example please

Did we watch/read the same thing?.
Kurapika after having just learnt Nen is now able to kill a Troupe member, capture their leader and remove his Nen after 'wishing' for the power to beat them. Gon wishes to beat Neferpitou making that fight pointless. One of the characters remarks that Gon in that form is on the same level as Meruem. How does that even seem fair or well-written. Those come with drawbacks which are minor and in Gon's case resolved like nothing matters. Due to this system Kurapika can basically just kill all of the Troupe off-screen like they're regular enemies. Gon now has no Nen and is a boring character due the effects of this system.

Top Bottom