• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter X Hunter's Hiatus Will Continue For Now, Says Publisher

Magwik

Banned
Did we watch/read the same thing?.
Kurapika after having just learnt Nen is now able to kill a Troupe member, capture their leader and remove his Nen after 'wishing' for the power to beat them. Gon wishes to beat Neferpitou making that fight pointless. One of the characters remarks that Gon in that form is on the same level as Meruem. How does that even seem fair or well-written. Those come with drawbacks which are minor and in Gon's case resolved like nothing matters. Due to this system Kurapika can basically just kill all of the Troupe off-screen like they're regular enemies. Gon now has no Nen and is a boring character due the effects of this system.

Kurapika literally can't do shit against anyone who isn't the Troupe, if he does,
he dies. Gon used nen to age himself to the point where he would be his strongest,
and it essentially killed him for doing so. These aren't super powers, Gon can never do that again, and Kurapika will continue to do nothing. It's all very limited.

daveo42

Banned
I could have done without the update that HxH would not being seeing one. Hope he's still doing well.

That kind of flies in the face of what Kubo claims his life was like during Bleach's run. Namely a life of fun and happiness. I remember there was a huge deal made about the stuff he posts on twitter. He wasn't even gloating either, he just posts about nightclubs and wearing sunglasses indoors on a daily basis, and other such non-Bleach related stuff in his life.

Well, you have more time available to be a "cool guy" when his chapters were shorter than every other weekly manga in Jump by a wide margin.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Kurapika after having just learnt Nen is now able to kill a Troupe member, capture their leader and remove his Nen after 'wishing' for the power to beat them. Gon wishes to beat Neferpitou making that fight pointless. One of the characters remarks that Gon in that form is on the same level as Meruem. How does that even seem fair or well-written. Those come with drawbacks which are minor and in Gon's case resolved like nothing matters. Due to this system Kurapika can basically just kill all of the Troupe off-screen like they're regular enemies. Gon now has no Nen and is a boring character due the effects of this system.

I'm guessing you are missing the subtleties to Nen. This all makes sense in the world of HxH. Just being strong or having an over powered ability rarely is what wins a fight.

Kurapika literally can't do shit against anyone who isn't the Troupe, if he does,
he dies. Gon used nen to age himself to the point where he would be his strongest,
and it essentially killed him for doing so. These aren't super powers, Gon can never do that again, and Kurapika will continue to do nothing. It's all very limited.

This is why I like this series. Sure they get awesome powerups, but they face real consequences for doing so. Keeps the playing field level.

caliph95

To be fair he is not useless he has useful abilities he is incredibly limited though.
Even with that he was able to beat Uvo because how straightforward he is and has little idea of his abilities, he also with the abilities still has to contend with guys like Feitan and Chrollo

LotusHD

Banned

Kurapika is basically only truly useful against the Phantom Troupe. It works because it shows that he is reeeeeealllly pressed to kill them all, and is willing to do whatever it takes. Outside of that, he has to use his head if he hopes to win against other enemies. Hell, that's how a lot of the fights in HxH go; you gotta be prepared, even if you're insanely strong.

Gon wishing to beat Pitou is such a reductive way to phrase it, but okay. To me it was basically an Anti-Super Saiyan moment, where he's throwing away all his potential out of pure hatred for Pitou. It's really heart-breaking to watch/read as it was happening. As for him being on the same level of Meurem, how is that poorly written exactly? It's not like he fought Meurem himself? Hell Meurem in the end wasn't able to be brought down through brute force; he got poisoned and died a sadass death with that Shogi girl, whereas pretty much any other shounen would've probably found some BS way for Gon to fight and defeat him.

Gon not having Nen sucks, but at the same time I appreciate that about the series, where it doesn't hesitate to sideline its main character, instead deciding to focus now on what Kurapika is up to.

Lulubop

hunterxhunter.jpg

Yep
Code:
[IMG]http://pm1.narvii.com/6008/657aaa594f39226efa2a49bceeed055804e3aa77_hq.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://animereviews.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/hunter-x-hunter-manga-vs-anime-art.jpg[/IMG]

These were fixed in the vol releases, I'm sure you can find a ton of QUALITY moments in the anime.

Yonafunu

eeeeh Kurapika's still pretty strong against non-Spiders. The chain Jail is the only Spider-exclusive chain we know of, that means he can still use Emperor Time, still heal himself, and use Judgement Chain on anyone. I disagree with pretty much everything purpleblastoise said, but Kurapika being a bit OPis not one of them.

Kurapika is basically only truly useful against the Phantom Troupe. It works because it shows that he is reeeeeealllly pressed to kill them all, and is willing to do whatever it takes. Outside of that, he has to use his head if he hopes to win against other enemies. Hell, that's how a lot of the fights in HxH go; you gotta be prepared, even if you're insanely strong.

Gon wishing to beat Pitou is such a reductive way to phrase it, but okay. To me it was basically an Anti-Super Saiyan moment, where he's throwing away all his potential out of pure hatred for Pitou. It's really heart-breaking to watch/read as it was happening. As for him being on the same level of Meurem, how is that poorly written exactly? It's not like he fought Meurem himself? Hell Meurem in the end wasn't able to be brought down through brute force; he got poisoned and died a sadass death with that Shogi girl, whereas pretty much any other shounen would've probably found some BS way for Gon to fight and defeat him.

Gon not having Nen sucks, but at the same time I appreciate that about the series, where it doesn't hesitate to sideline its main character, instead deciding to focus now on what Kurapika is up to.

Kurapika doing what he did is like Sasuke killing Itachi the first time they meet again. The Phantom Troupe are K's sworn enemies who killed his tribe. It shouldn't be so easy.

Kreed

looking at that weekly manga artist schedule thing

okay, fine, but you're telling me it's an all or nothing proposition?

it's better to have literal years with no content rather than just release pieces of the story on a monthly basis rather than weekly?

everything I hear about how the manga industry works sounds stupid as fuck

It's definitely not all or nothing. Even excluding artists that do manga series as a team/with assistants or manga veteran authors like Eiichiro Oda that can afford to take a break every other week so the weekly workload isn't as heavy, there's plenty of examples of mangas that have switched from weekly to monthly schedules/magazines that release on different schedules.

eeeeh Kurapika's still pretty strong against non-Spiders. The chain Jail is the only Spider-exclusive chain we know of, that means he can still use Emperor Time, still heal himself, and use Judgement Chain on anyone. I disagree with pretty much everything purpleblastoise said, but Kurapika being a bit OPis not one of them.

Based on what? What has he done since to show that? We saw him block some bullets, which anyone who's passed the Hunter Exam is strong enough to do, and his chain can determine if people are lying, but we haven't seen any post Spider fights with him

remz

The one with Gon waving wasn't fixed in the volume release.

adfZ1qk7.jpg

(Same Chapter)

I kinda like the simple art in that chapter, esp while the koala guy is telling hiis story... the shots of the character on the right hand side have nice perspective

So why can't he simply pen the script while a trusted layout/penciler/inker handle the art to his spec? It would take on a more American comics approach but who cares?

Lulubop

Kurapika doing what he did is like Sasuke killing Itachi the first time they meet. The Phantom Troupe are K's sworn enemies who killed his tribe. It shouldn't be so easy.

He tailored his Nen ability just to fight them, specifically to fight them. Even still he needed prep and emperor time to fight Uvo, probably the easiest of the Spiders to work with due to his straight forward powerset.

So why can't he simply pen the script while a trusted layout/penciler/inker handle the art to his spec? It would take on a more American comics approach but who cares?

If Togashi were to reach a point like this, I say just drop the manga and do an anime that Togashi provides all the information for. Something sort of like (I'm not sure AT does all the designs) what Akira Toriyama does for Dragon Ball Super

He tailored his Nen ability just to fight them, specifically to fight them. Even still he needed prep and emperor time to fight Uvo, probably the easiest of the Spiders to work with due to his straight forward powerset.

He wished for more power after just learning Nen and was able to beat them easily.
He captured Chrollo!

Such great writing.

I wish that he would just hire assistants and instruct them where he wants the story to go. Or just give story plans to Madhouse and continue it as an anime.

I want that to happen or just for him to say that he is done making more HxH. At this point,
Gon meeting his dad
is the end of the series to me.

I'm guessing you are missing the subtleties to Nen. This all makes sense in the world of HxH. Just being strong or having an over powered ability rarely is what wins a fight.
I mean one does need a Phd in Nen so it makes sense. He could truly fuck his head up and blunder into Jojo part 5 randomly.

Yonafunu

Based on what? What has he done since to show that? We saw him block some bullets, which anyone who's passed the Hunter Exam is strong enough to do, and his chain can determine if people are lying, but we haven't seen any post Spider fights with him

Just going by his set of powers, of course. Not much else to go off right now, but it's pretty well rounded, especially with Emperor Time and Healing Thumb.

Kaizer

Banned
Is it wrong of me to want the authors of long running manga like this that often go on hiatuses such as Hunter x Hunter & Berserk to just tell their assistants where the story is supposed to go & let them draw it?

It begins to almost feel like a George R.R. Martin situation. At some point, you just start to rationalize that there's a huge possibility he's never going to write that book, but at least with his series, there's a TV show that will convey an ending for the story. Honestly, if the Hunter x Hunter anime were still running & the anime ended up getting to the planned ending for the manga before the manga did, I would be just fine with that.

Is it wrong of me to want the authors of long running manga like this that often go on hiatuses such as Hunter x Hunter & Berserk to just tell their assistants where the story is supposed to go & let them draw it?

It begins to almost feel like a George R.R. Martin situation. At some point, you just start to rationalize that there's a huge possibility he's never going to write that book, but at least with his series, there's a TV show that will convey an ending for the story. Honestly, if the Hunter x Hunter anime were still running & the anime ended up getting to the planned ending for the manga before the manga did, I would be just fine with that.
But Togashi can just get his wife to draw it, it'll look a bit shoujo but it's better than nothing.

Kurapika doing what he did is like Sasuke killing Itachi the first time they meet again. The Phantom Troupe are K's sworn enemies who killed his tribe. It shouldn't be so easy.

I fucking loved that. Ramped the stakes up so much. It was a "HOLY SHIT THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING? KURAPIKA IS ALREADY FIGHTING THE SPIDERS!" sort of reaction for me. That really helped the show start rolling, because of the way Kurapika was already doing significant work towards his goal but was still nowhere near beating them all.

And the way it really emphasized everything about how, in HxH, preparation and planning almost always wins out over talent.

SamVimes

If all that matters is where the story is supposed to go why aren't you reading wikipedia articles instead of watching /reading?

Google gave me these
5tokwCV.jpg

Exactly. Togashi really does have health issues. I know the hiatuses are tough but he turns out gold. The new arc stuff has seriously been objectively the best stuff he has ever released. So many characters, so many story threads getting ready to converge with one another, one of his best fights, mystery, a brilliant sense of adventure.

I'm dumb, should've used this instead lol:

c76.jpg

I really like Part 2. I really like Joseph and the Pillar Men. Part 3 and 4 decided to change the formula so we get a bunch of pointless villain-of-the-weeks. Kira is great in Part 4 and we should have seen more of him and less of the mobs. I also dislike how there's less of a focus on main characters now. The story doesn't revolve and isn't pushed forward by Jotaro and Josuke. Something which was the case with Jonathon and Joseph. Jotaro and Josuke are kinda boring.

Top Bottom