• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter X Hunter's Hiatus Will Continue For Now, Says Publisher

Though Togashi admit in an interview he relied on it more than he wanted to.

That is interesting. I try to always see what he says in his interviews and I missed that comment from him. I loved the narrator expounding on what was going on. One example is
when the narrator butts in and says Gon's transformation made Killua instantly be reminded of Biske's always stood out to me as being more interesting than Killua saying "this sort of reminds me of Biske's transformation. All over the place, I felt the narrator enhanced what Togashi was trying to say

Raxus

I think the CA arc has a lot of issues and I dislike how a lot of things were handled, but I never really noticed the narration being a problem.

Unless that was different in the newer anime version.

I think it was only pronounced in the invasion of the palace where they spent a handful of episodes with the narrator going over the details of the plan especially when they encounter the first of the royal guards. It goes way uphill after that point.

I think it was only pronounced in the invasion of the palace where they spent a handful of episodes with the narrator going over the details of the plan especially when they encounter the first of the royal guards. It goes way uphill after that point.

And if i remember right, this section stretches out a period of 5 minutes into I want to say 10+ chapters. So a ton is going on, very quickly. I felt the narrator put the story on slow-mo, explaining critical things that would have been hard to do otherwise in a chaotic setting

The narrator is a vital piece for the story telling of that section of the arc. Not trying to be mean, but if you aren't going to give the Chimera Ant arc your attention, you are going to miss a lot and the impact of the arc will be lost on you
As someone who just got done watching HxH for the first time, this is 100% not true.

Like all bad narrators in anime, this one vomits exposition, kills pacing, and basically doesn't say anything useful.

He ruined the best fight sequences of the anime. It was painful.

Daingurse

As someone who just got done watching HxH for the first time, this is 100% not true.

Like all bad narrators in anime, this one vomits exposition, kills pacing, and basically doesn't say anything useful.

Narrator actually worked perfectly for me. I enjoyed all the exposition. Didn't care for it at first, but after getting adjusted to it, I wouldn't want that arc done any other way. It added to the tension, and I loved knowing exactly what characters were feeling and thinking, moment to moment.

Narrator actually worked perfectly for me. I enjoyed all the exposition. Didn't care for it at first, but after getting adjusted to it, I wouldn't want that arc done any other way. It added to the tension, and I loved knowing exactly what characters were feeling and thinking, moment to moment.

Like when Shoot ties part of his clothing around around his head. We get exactly why he does that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I found the narrator worked like two thirds of the time but there were times he was stating the obvious. I did enjoy him for a lot of parts.

But it was such bad storytelling. It was literally tell and not show, which is fucked up given that it was an anime which is like all show. I mean, I could see what was going on.

That it lasted for like 20 episodes was even worse. It just killed that arc, which was already not great given how long, goofy, and just not plot important it was.

Thank god for Mereum's awesome character arc, or it wouldn't have been worth watching.

Daingurse

Like when Shoot ties part of his clothing around around his head. We get exactly why he does that.

Yeah, or like the entire first-half of episode 112. That's when I started to really dig the narrator, lol.

But it was such bad storytelling. It was literally tell and not show, which is fucked up given that it was an anime which is like all show. I mean, I could see what was going on.

That it lasted for like 20 episodes was even worse. It just killed that arc, which was already not great given how long, goofy, and just not plot important it was.

Thank god for Mereum's awesome character arc, or it wouldn't have been worth watching.

Yeah, heard this before but I don't agree that it was bad story telling. It increased my enjoyment of the story and my connections to the characters. I honestly think it worked very well. Doesn't seem to work for everyone though, you're not alone in your opinion. But for me, Togashi can tell and not show as much as he wants, if stuff like the Ant arc is the result, haha.

No fictional media has moved me as much as the end of the Chimera ant arc, I love komugi and meruem's relationship. It's just beautiful.
komugi... are you still there?
realising meruem's also goes blind like komugi before death, and the final still of them together. Then the brief image of their decaying hands, still held together.

Tears in my god damn eyes. Anime ending was also perfect for me.

The new manga arc, god damn it was going places. Bringing kurapika and leorio to the forefront after heavy Gon-Killua arcs.

Maybe my favorite fictional work.

Yeah, or like the entire first-half of episode 112. That's when I started to really dig he narrator, lol.

Yeah, heard this before but I don't agree that it was bad story telling. It increased my enjoyment of the story and my connections to the characters. I honestly think it worked very well. Doesn't seem to work for everyone though, you're not alone in your opinion. But for me, Togashi can tell and not show as much as he wants, if stuff like the Ant arc is the result, haha.
We are def on different sides of the spectrum. I was legit angry at how bad those episodes were, and kind of offended that the guy who did such a great job of YYH managed this.

It was everything I hated about Shonen anime but with less fighting.

Sucks too, because I fucking adore YYH. easily one of my favorite anime.

Jigorath

Banned
Why not just go write for the anime series.

It'd probably be a whole lot less work than writing and illustrating a serialized manga.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Hiatosaurus Rex.

Still can convince myself to start this last arc of HxH until it ends. I'll just treat it like samurai jack and wait a decade.

The pain I learned through HxH also convinced me to start berserk on my last trip to japan. I obviously hate myself.

Trickster

That kind of flies in the face of what Kubo claims his life was like during Bleach's run. Namely a life of fun and happiness. I remember there was a huge deal made about the stuff he posts on twitter. He wasn't even gloating either, he just posts about nightclubs and wearing sunglasses indoors on a daily basis, and other such non-Bleach related stuff in his life.

Bleach was terrible for the majority of it's run though. Overall story and arcs were crap. Most chapters contained very little dialogue and plot. It also became infamous for how little stuff was actually drawn.

Google gave me these
5tokwCV.jpg
What the fuck?

What is his health problem exactly? Is there no surgery or pain relief for what he has? Sounds excruciating.

Daingurse

We are def on different sides of the spectrum. I was legit angry at how bad those episodes were, and kind of offended that the guy who did such a great job of YYH managed this.

It was everything I hated about Shonen anime but with less fighting.

Sucks too, because I fucking adore YYH. easily one of my favorite anime.

Haha, yeah our tastes are clearly, but that's okay! I hold HxH up pretty high, and consider it to be the best shonen manga/anime.

YYH is also up there for me. One of the best standard battle shonen, without a doubt.

What the fuck?

What is his health problem exactly? Is there no surgery or pain relief for what he has? Sounds excruciating.

Some kind of chronic back pain issue. I'm not sure if he's gotten surgeries for it, but I know that back pain can be crippling even after surgery.

Haha, yeah our tastes are clearly, but that's okay! I hold HxH up pretty high, and consider it to be the best shonen manga/anime.

YYH is also up there for me. One of the best standard battle shonen, without a doubt.
I mean, I don't hold shonen in high regard because it's mostly stupid. HxH was that, but with a great cast of characters.

YYH transcends it all but mostly for nostalgia I think.

Granted, it's all fun. HxH has better villains, which is a huge point in its favor. Most shonen have pretty shit villains, so to watch an anime with villains that were maybe BETTER than the main cast is a delight. Hisoka is awesome. Mereum is awesome.

The anime does a lot of things really fucking well. I'll give it that.

Marow

Since his back pain is mentioned, I figured I should chime in that if volume author introductions are correct... then Togashi has had problems as early as the beginning of Yu Yu Hakusho, possibly even longer. It's probably quite serious.

I mean, I don't hold shonen in high regard because it's mostly stupid. HxH was that, but with a great cast of characters.

YYH transcends it all but mostly for nostalgia I think.

Granted, it's all fun. HxH has better villains, which is a huge point in its favor. Most shonen have pretty shit villains, so to watch an anime with villains that were maybe BETTER than the main cast is a delight. Hisoka is awesome. Mereum is awesome.

The anime does a lot of things really fucking well. I'll give it that.
The only bad HxH villain is that fucking glasses wearing douche bag from Greed Island.

Qvoth

i seriously think it's better if togashi lets another artist drew the manga and he remains as the author, like what one and yusuke murata is doing

cntr

Banned
What the fuck?

He got into the habit of drawing YYH and HxH while resting on his stomach on the floor, so his spine got completely fucked up. Not a good combination with manga schedules.

edit: oh god this entire thread was a dumpster fire of bad opinions, shouldn't have posted in it

kasane

Yeah peooles spine being fucked up is no joke, he can get surgery at the high risk if fucking it uo even more(spinal fluid leaks, etc.) and just therapy.cant be really mad with togashi.

Anyways even vagabond, real and nana are nowwhere in sight so.

😭

Moaradin

The thread title was pretty clear though.

I don't need to be reminded of this.

Live Togashi, so that one day we may bathe in the light...for like two months (please at least)

I read "Hunter X Hunter" and "Continue" and got pretty excited for about 5 seconds.

Can someone clear this up for me about the Yorknew arc?.
Was the Phantom Troupe's whole aim just to steal stuff from an auction?. No grand plan, just money. I heard this and haven't bothered to keep reading.

ryan13ts

He should have just ended it with Gon meeting Ging, he obviously doesn't intend to keep writing it at any kind of remotely acceptable pace and all he's doing is just torturing fans who want to see a conclusion to the story.

It's one of my favorite manga's of all time but it's gotten to the point where I can't let myself get excited about it coming off hiatus anymore because I know he'll only do maybe 5 or 6 chapters and go on another 1-2 year break.

Seriously, just end it or hand it over to someone else Togashi.

Betty

Banned

I loved the narrator, he actually improved every fight for me.

They're working on healing Casca as we speak so its coming far sooner

This. Berserk feels like it might be on its way towards a real conclusion.

I don't think we're going to get separate arcs for
taking out the God Hand
. Most likely the next arc is
Guts and his allies rallying against Griffith, Skull Knight hunting down the God Hand, and the final battle.

HxH still has at least one more arc after DC, if Togashi is still committed the whole Gyro thing.

Was the Phantom Troupe's whole aim just to steal stuff from an auction?. No grand plan, just money. I heard this and haven't bothered to keep reading.
No grand plan. Just the thrill of it.
and then it becomes about revenge

No grand plan. Just the thrill of it.
and then it becomes about revenge

I think I would actually like the Phantom Troupe a lot more if Kurapika didn't exist.
Kurapika builds up the Troupe to be a bunch of genocidal cultists and they don't seem like that at all. Kurapika kills the best character in the show, Uvogin. The Troupe wouldn't be a bunch of pushovers if Kurapika hadn't wished for the power to beat them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Yes they are thieves, if they want something they take it.

Daingurse

I think I would actually like the Phantom Troupe a lot more if Kurapika didn't exist.
Kurapika builds up the Troupe to be a bunch of genocidal cultists and they don't seem like that at all. Kurapika kills the best character in the show, Uvogin. The Troupe wouldn't be a bunch of pushovers if Kurapika hadn't wished for the power to beat them.

The Phantom Troupe are horrible human beings. They're very likeable characters, and have a nice family dynamic, but they show a total disregard for the lives of other people. I can't wait for Kurapika to kill them :)

Top Bottom