• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 |OT|: By the Power of Inafune!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yeah, it seems while the first had the charm and such, but it was severely lacking mechanically. Then this one they went and kinda reversed those, rather than keeping a good script and just improving the gameplay. Granted I've only played 2 hours of this game though.

That pretty much describes it perfectly.

Coxy

And what do you mean by random chance?

he's basically asking if healing works the same way it did in neptunia 1, and the answer is no, it works like a normal RPG now :)

almost dione with the true route now
Brave is awesome, he deserves to come back as a good guy someday

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The game is not as funny as the first, at least not until near the end. At least you get Nisa fairly early and she is a main character in this one unlike the first one where she got just a few scenes. So it brightens things up since she is awesome!

Also Nepgear sucks. Her sister is way better!

Hcoregamer00

The game is not as funny as the first, at least not until near the end. At least you get Nisa fairly early and she is a main character in this one unlike the first one where she got just a few scenes. So it brightens things up since she is awesome!

Dang, you have to get near the end to have the humor improve?

Nepgear doesn't suck, she just doesn't have as memorable a personality since she is not as outgoing as her sister. Purple Heart is way better than Purple Sister, but that is because I am biaed towards the character design and "cool" personality.

Esura

Banned
I wish Nepgear was as ditzy and goofy as her sister. Neptune killed me in the previous entry with her dialog. She has to be one of my favorite video game characters now just because of the lulz she provided so I can't wait to get her in my party.

Question though, please don't tell me I have to share grind to get the other goddesses and goddess candidates. Do I? :(

Hcoregamer00

Well, I am being a little hard on Neptunia Mk2. I did find some sequences rather funny, like when Underling always refers to Cave as the "Ginger Girl."

frequency

So I was still having a lot of trouble finding this in Canada.
I was about to give up and order from the US for too-much-money because I can't find this anywhere in Canada. None of the sites have it in stock. I was even ready to resort to VGP, despite the hack. But it's still listed as a preorder there too.

But just now, at the very end of my patience, I decided to check Futureshop. And they had it. I'm really surprised they would stock something like this.

I'm still feeling frustrated though. Residual bitterness I guess. Why does neither Amazon or EBGames have this? Niche games like these usually do come up here later, but not this late.
Did I just somehow miss out and they sent out all the copies they got? I'm really curious and it's really a growing concern for me that things are becoming harder and harder to find up here. Any other Canadians want to share their experience with me?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha i've stuck to the jp dub since Hocchan is the lead :D

That said, Mk2 comes off somewhat solid. Like all the systems work and flow. But it still feels like a solid 6 or 7 game, if not purely mediocre. But one thing I could say though is that someone compared the battle system to Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata. I can easily say it's leaps and bounds in comparison to that haha. (I absolutely hated Trusty)

The one thing that feels really off or what cements it as mediocre is the writing. Supposedly as godawful the first one was in terms of gameplay, at least the writing very funny and entertaining? Mk2 comes off pretty plain and dry so far. There's some moments that give me a little chuckle, but it's not really keeping me hooked. If anything, the battle system is what keeps me going.

Yup positioning does matter. You want to keep your healers far away, and never bunch up your characters if you can't help it. But it's also great to abuse on enemies when you have a wide attack :D Messing with the positioning like in ARMS or BLITZ to nail as many as you can at once.
Man, thanks for the impressions of the battle system, kiryogi! Hocchan being Nepgear doesn't seem so bad. I liked her in other stuff, so I might use the JP dub this time around then. And I'm not surprised it's rather mediocre in terms of the writing. As long as the battle system's satisfactory, then I'm alright with it.

I just ordered mine from the States, so I hope to jump in sooner or later.

frequency said:
I'm still feeling frustrated though. Residual bitterness I guess. Why does neither Amazon or EBGames have this? Niche games like these usually do come up here later, but not this late.
Did I just somehow miss out and they sent out all the copies they got? I'm really curious and it's really a growing concern for me that things are becoming harder and harder to find up here. Any other Canadians want to share their experience with me?
wtf, Futureshop stocked this? Ah, I don't think the FS around where I live would stock it since it's a small town and all. I'd imagine downtown TO's would, though.

As for niche games, it just seems like it's select niche companies (like, I usually get Atlus games Day 1 outside of the rare instances where there's an issue with the shipping). I certainly complain a lot about it, but if it's a game that I really really want, I don't mind ordering from the States and waiting a few weeks. If it's a portable game, I dislike the delay a lot because I play portables nearly every day since I commute, I'm waiting for class, I'm on a break, etc. If it's a console game, I don't really mind the wait (since I only play consoles on weekends that I don't have to study), but I know I have to preorder it.

The thing is, it seems like it's a shipping/distribution issue as opposed to the bilingual packaging law (which seems like it relates more to Quebec than anything else). I am rather frustrated, but as long as I get the game and I'm able to play it, I'm okay. Doesn't mean I'm content with the delays, though.

What I'm actually mad about is the frickin' "Playable in French" logos on Nintendo DS/3DS games! Who at Nintendo of Canada thought this was a good idea?

frequency

wtf, Futureshop stocked this? Ah, I don't think the FS around where I live would stock it since it's a small town and all. I'd imagine downtown TO's would, though.

As for niche games, it just seems like it's select niche companies (like, I usually get Atlus games Day 1 outside of the rare instances where there's an issue with the shipping). I certainly complain a lot about it, but if it's a game that I really really want, I don't mind ordering from the States and waiting a few weeks. If it's a portable game, I dislike the delay a lot because I play portables nearly every day since I commute, I'm waiting for class, I'm on a break, etc. If it's a console game, I don't really mind the wait (since I only play consoles on weekends that I don't have to study), but I know I have to preorder it.

The thing is, it seems like it's a shipping/distribution issue as opposed to the bilingual packaging law (which seems like it relates more to Quebec than anything else). I am rather frustrated, but as long as I get the game and I'm able to play it, I'm okay. Doesn't mean I'm content with the delays, though.

What I'm actually mad about is the frickin' "Playable in French" logos on Nintendo DS/3DS games! Who at Nintendo of Canada thought this was a good idea?

I was surprised too. I live in a small place as well. My Futureshop sometimes doesn't even stock big releases.
They even have it on their website too. Very strange.

I don't mind waiting for shipping. I regularly import things and wait three to five weeks from shipment date to arrival. But I get frustrated when I preorder something months in advance and then on release day, it's just "out of stock" and stays that way for weeks after release. It's the uncertainty that the game will ever get stocked that bothers me. A lot of these niche games have limited supply, so the longer I wait, the less the chance I'll be able to get a copy. It stresses me out a lot waiting for stock.

Thank you for the reply. It's a little comforting to know that it's not just that the video game gods hate me.

Our covers are bad but at least it's not as bad as movies where the movie title has to be in French too. But that logo is distracting :(

Coxy

I dunno about you but I found the end of chapter 2 hilarious, since I found the fallout of that particular event hilarious irl too

Volcynika

"Sure! I could try that higher level quest, it won't be THAT bad."
"Hey there big wolf. I'm gonna take you down--"

*is killed mercilessly*

Volcynika

The game advises you to avoid wolves and dolphins, follow that advice.

I wanted to see at least!

:(

Anyways last story bit I did was (Chapter 2..middle or something maybe) was
beat Uni in her CPU form.
Game's a bit rough, though I didn't even know you could use items in battle until you first got Nisa.

Hcoregamer00

The issue with items is that it is hidden in a menu that can only be accessed with the R2 button, it is not intuitive at all.

Is the game really a sequel or is it more like a reboot? I ask that question since it being a sequel has a TON of continuity errors.

zulux21

The issue with items is that it is hidden in a menu that can only be accessed with the R2 button, it is not intuitive at all.

I don't really have an issue with it being hidden with the R2 button, noticing the big R2 on the bottom right made me press R2 right away... my main issue is that the items share the same button as the standby which has resulted in me more than once hitting standby when I needed to heal... but at least it was my fault I didn't heal instead of bad luck as my heal didn't trigger.

Hcoregamer00

For some reason I just can't shake the idea that the game is more of a reboot or parallel universe with Hyperdimension Neptunia rather than a sequel.

-When reintroducing characters from the original game, characters like Iffy and Compa should recognize them but they don't.
-The world of Neptunia had floating worlds, where as in Mk2 they are countries part of a large continent.
-No mention is made of the CPU's beating Arfoire the first time around.
-The "true end" of Neptunia 1 totally contradicts the existence of this game

Not to mention that the developers were talking out loud about considering a future game starring everyone's favorite twintailed Tsundere, Noire. Which also contradicts the ending of the original game.

zulux21

For some reason I just can't shake the idea that the game is more of a reboot or parallel universe with Hyperdimension Neptunia rather than a sequel.
Given when you first meet Nisa she says
we have never met on "this journey"

I would guess this is a parallel universe and that if there is a third game it will also not be a sequel but another version of the world.

Volcynika

How long is Chapter 2 anyways? Heard it was the longest.

I left off at
going to find the Lastation mascot after getting it from Lastation's oracle.

So, I was going through the DLC tonight and noticed that three of the free DLC give you free in-game money, right at 3,100,000 credits.

Now, I'm just at Chapter 2, but isn't that a whole lot of money?

kiryogi

Banned
How long is Chapter 2 anyways? Heard it was the longest.

I left off at
going to find the Lastation mascot after getting it from Lastation's oracle.

It is definitely long as hell esp coming from chapter 1. You'd think it was just the same length. but noooooo.

rinse and repeat the process for every single nation is what you're going to be facing

Volcynika

It is definitely long as hell esp coming from chapter 1. You'd think it was just the same length. but noooooo.

rinse and repeat the process for every single nation is what you're going to be facing

Ahhh. OK. Only made a little progress yesterday, just
about to go after Underling going after the Lumee mascot. SO MUCH DIALOGUE with the tracking part.

Also! You. Will. Apologize. (I laughed)

Got my LE in the post yesterday, which isn't bad going for a UK delivery. Now to wait until 2013 before starting it.

Gotta give a huge thanks to the OP. If you hadn't made this topic when you did I wouldn't have seen it, immediately gone to the NIS store and gotten the LE 2 hours before it sold out.

kiryogi

Banned
Ahhh. OK. Only made a little progress yesterday, just
about to go after Underling going after the Lumee mascot. SO MUCH DIALOGUE with the tracking part.

Also! You. Will. Apologize. (I laughed)

I'm not sure what's worse, dealing with the twin brats or dealing with the tsun tsun. Drove me nuts at the lengths you had to go XD

Volcynika

Got my LE in the post yesterday, which isn't bad going for a UK delivery. Now to wait until 2013 before starting it.

Gotta give a huge thanks to the OP. If you hadn't made this topic when you did I wouldn't have seen it, immediately gone to the NIS store and gotten the LE 2 hours before it sold out.

Huzzah, I helped!

Hcoregamer00

I'm not sure what's worse, dealing with the twin brats or dealing with the tsun tsun. Drove me nuts at the lengths you had to go XD

Yeah Rom and Ram are not as good as Blanc, and Umi is only a shadow compared to Noire.

Nepgear is the only one who doesn't get on my nerves, but Neptune was a better lead.

Hcoregamer00

How helpful are buffs in the game? I've used them, but never really paid attention to how much they help.

The only one that really helped (in my opinion) is using Nisa's strength up to buff up Nepgear in CPU mode. Aside from that it really didn't help.

Lockon

I just finished my first playthrough, and went straight for Conquest (Bad) ending. All I can say is that I had to put the game down and digest what happened...I never thought this not so serious/parody game could have this kind of ending lol. Time to get other endings for platinum trophy and get this ending out of my head!

Hcoregamer00

I just finished my first playthrough, and went straight for Conquest (Bad) ending. All I can say is that I had to put the game down and digest what happened...I never thought this not so serious/parody game could have this kind of ending lol. Time to get other endings for platinum trophy and get this ending out of my head!

Is it really that much of a shock?

Hyperdimension Neptunia, for such a funny game had a really depressing "true ending."

Volcynika

Oyyyyyyy dislike current boss. I get smashy'd :(

Probably end of Lowee stuff, CPU Breaker. Just got Gust in my party.

kiryogi

Banned
So can we all agree this is probably the best/most decent game IF/Compile heart has made to date? I almost want to say its solid decent, but if anything, it is fun and oddly addicting.

Coxy

So can we all agree this is probably the best/most decent game IF/Compile heart has made to date? I almost want to say its solid decent, but if anything, it is fun and oddly addicting.

Just platinumed the game and I'd go as far as to say it's solid decent, I really hope they work off that battle system and make it even better, I think they could really go somewhere with it

That conquest ending though, man
really depressing, quite well written, in fact bonus points because while making a depressing serious emotional ending they still managed to tie it very effectively into the idea that anyone "winning" the console wars would suck and ruin everything through complacency and stagnation.

Volcynika

Yeah this is probably the most fun IF/CH game I've played to date. If the script was as good as the original's, there'd be some good stuff here.

EDIT: How hard is it to platinum it?

Esura

Banned
Yeah Rom and Ram are not as good as Blanc, and Umi is only a shadow compared to Noire.

Nepgear is the only one who doesn't get on my nerves, but Neptune was a better lead.

Out of the original CPUs, only one I ever liked a lot was Neptune and to a lesser extent, Vert. Noire and Blanc irritated me quite a few time and my dislike for them were only amplified after certain key story events in the first one so I vastly prefer their little sisters to them. Although Nepgear can't replace Neptune though.

Volcynika

Made progress all the way to Chapter 3. Spoiler tag this even though it's really not a super spoiler:
Is 5pb a healer or can I have her in the front lines?

kiryogi

Banned
Made progress all the way to Chapter 3. Spoiler tag this even though it's really not a super spoiler:
Is 5pb a healer or can I have her in the front lines?
She's a nuker. One of the best. The best mages to have non cpu wise are Gust and 5PB

Volcynika

Lots of progress today, just got to Chapter 5 and saw how bad the first boss would beat me. Pretty badly.

Also yeah, Trick is the worst. THE WORST.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow. That's rather impressive.

So glad I got an order in, then.

Volcynika said:
EDIT: How hard is it to platinum it?
Seconding this question. I tried to plat the first game until I sorta got bored halfway through the game. I'm hoping this one is at least a little more fun.

Coxy

It's a pretty easy platinum, just get all the endings and beat
one boss in the arena
no synth everything or collect all items or anything like that

Volcynika

Ok, good bit into chapter 5.

Just got to CFW Magic for the non "get my ass beaten to progress" fight.

Not completely sure about the shares thing and trying to
get enough shares to get Blanc and Noire to join my party (Vert joined right as soon as I got the CPUs back) but not sure if I'll be able to get enough shares. Granted, I don't know the minimum requirement.

What all do you keep in new game+?

Volcynika

Ah, thanks.

So who do people use in their main party? I haven't really experimented much, but I use Nepgear, Gust, Nisa, and IF.

Esura

Banned
I used Nepgear, Uni, IF, and Nisa on the front lines with
Neptune
, Rom, Ram, and Gust in the back when I was on the final chapter.

Volcynika

Woo, beat the game. Got only the normal ending though.

I'm trying to think of an optimal way to setup getting all the other endings.

Right now in my NG+ file I'm
doing the Lowee stuff in Ch2, pretty much flying through it.

Not sure the best way to handle shares, right now I'm completing quests as I can but never turning them in.

Hcoregamer00

I am very close to beating the game also, but I have a huge time sink that that precedence over any video game, doing my Master's thesis.

Spring break is coming up, so I have a week to basically beat this game and Tales of Graces f

Volcynika

I am very close to beating the game also, but I have a huge time sink that that precedence over any video game, doing my Master's thesis.

Spring break is coming up, so I have a week to basicllly beat this game and Tales of Graces f

Yeah I wanted to beat it before Graces F, so I burned through it this weekend. Didn't know how best to get the true ending so I will hold off for now.

Coxy

Woo, beat the game. Got only the normal ending though.

I'm trying to think of an optimal way to setup getting all the other endings.

Right now in my NG+ file I'm
doing the Lowee stuff in Ch2, pretty much flying through it.

Not sure the best way to handle shares, right now I'm completing quests as I can but never turning them in.

raise planeptune/lowee/lastation/leanbox to 50-65% in their hometown by the end of chapter 4 and touch nothing else ideally, then you can just clear and get makers ending, then raise each of the 4 to get their endings, then all 4 for true ending, the only one that'll require more work is the conquest ending but you should see the 3 demon sword rumours while raising the shares in each town for the CPUs anyway

Volcynika

raise planeptune/lowee/lastation/leanbox to 50-65% in their hometown by the end of chapter 4 and touch nothing else ideally, then you can just clear and get makers ending, then raise each of the 4 to get their endings, then all 4 for true ending, the only one that'll require more work is the conquest ending but you should see the 3 demon sword rumours while raising the shares in each town for the CPUs anyway

Thanks a lot. How many hours did you have when you platinum'd it, by the way?

Coxy

Thanks a lot. How many hours did you have when you platinum'd it, by the way?

80 on the clock for my main save but probably about 10 more of branching off saves to do the endings, though I did spend a while getting a bunch of the ultimate weapons and stuff too so it can be done faster

Volcynika

Shares question:

I'm fairly sure that shares when gained go towards the sponsor of the quest (correct me if I'm wrong).

But, if you have a quest that, for example, takes away shares from Lowee, where does it get them from? Or is it random or some sort?

Top Bottom