• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Toon Link playable, Wind Waker story content

L~A

Edit:

The scans are out there and available now.

Thing to note:
  • Toon Link uses a sword and shield, it looks like the sword is charged with lightning? He also uses a hammer in another picture
  • Helmaroc King boss
  • What looks like 3 different maps (combat maps, not adventure maps). Forsaken Fortress, Windfall Island and Dragon Roost Island
  • The standard mooks on those maps are the Miniblin
    200px-Miniblin.png

(please tell me they don't make the noises they do in Wind Waker. that x1000 would just be hell)
  • In one of the screenshots you can also make out another enemy which I don't recognize from Wind Waker. It carries a mace
  • Definitely the biggest thing here. The Wind Waker story content IS coming to the Wii U version. There are pictures of Tetra on Windfall Island in a Wii U cutscene, and another picture showing Dragon Roost Island and Forsaken Fortress. The scans officially label those pictures as being on the Wii U.
  • There also appears to be a new feature in the 3DS version revolving around Owl Statues.
  • And there is also a picture of Link playing the Golden Ocarina, seen at the end of one of the trailers. It's a new item!

Famitsu leaks, here we go!

Some news about Hyrule Warriors Legends (3DS): Toon Link will be playable, though for some reason he will not be in Legend Mode (Story Mode) despite the fact that very Legend Mode will have some new story content for The Wind Waker. Tetra and the King of Hyrule will both be in Legend Mode.

Helmaroc King is a new boss character from the looks of it.

Toon Link will be playable in all the other modes, and will be playable (most likely transferrable) in Hyrule Warriors on Wii U.

Source

Foffy

Banned
I guess this is an enhanced port of the Wii U game? I merely thought it was the game with a few new characters.

New story? Does it replace the one from the Wii U game?

I guess this is an enhanced port of the Wii U game? I merely thought it was the game with a few new characters.

No, since it is reported that Tetra and King of Hyrule will be added into Legends Mode (the old one).

Ridley327

I think it's an addition. The story mode already played around with the different eras coming into contact, so this would be easy to integrate.

Toon Link not being playable in the story is weird, but I guess they wanted to keep the focus on original characters, and you already play as Link.

Escalario

Banned
Isn't the Wii U version also getting all the new content though?

The only thing we know is that you can unlock WW characters by connecting both versions. Nothing about new story chapters and a possible Adventure Mode map.
I hope WiiU version will get all the new content, even if by paying few €. I'm not planning to pay 35€ for HW Legends just to unlock new characters and that's it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think it's an addition. The story mode already played around with the different eras coming into contact, so this would be easy to integrate.

Toon Link not being playable in the story is weird, but I guess they wanted to keep the focus on original characters, and you already play as Link.

Toon Link won't be in the story portion but you can use anyone in Free mode.

sensui-tomo

Why is it weird for toon link to not be playable on story mode? That actually make things weirder that there were 2 links in the main story. The two other characters make sense. Hell I wish tingle was in the story.

L~A

No, it's additional story content, which is based on The Wind Waker. No idea when it takes place in the Hyrule Warriors "timeline", though.

Razmos

Awesome.

Toon Link probably isn't in the story mode because it would be weird to play as 2 different versions of Link.

...then again, Zelda and Tetra... hmm

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No, it's additional story content, which is based on The Wind Waker. No idea when it takes place in the Hyrule Warriors "timeline", though.

I wager Wind Waker era just gets added to the mass time dimensional distortion thing that occurs. Seems simple enough.

TheMoon

Awesome.

Toon Link probably isn't in the story mode because it would be weird to play as 2 different versions of Link.

Zelda and Sheik...

Rumored = fans wishlist?

Crossbow was found in the E3 artwork.

Has anything been said about cross-save functionality for this game?

Why would there be anything to say about a feature that's obviously not gonna be included?

Ridley327

Awesome.

Tetra has the excuse of being a different character than even the Zelda she's supposed to be. She ends WW as Tetra. Sheik is a way more confusing element in comparison.

Jackano

The weird Toon Link appearance sounds like a as weird hack to transform Young Link for cheap.

Linkle, IMO, is "definitely" going to be announced at some point. That crossbow in the og video is just too obvious. Release is till 6 months ahead so there is time to announce her.
They can even keep her secret, like Link's final weapon
the Great Fairy

cireza

I played the game a lot on Wii U, and don't feel like playing an "inferior port" to have the new content. Wii U version is pretty, runs well, is HD etc...

Will pay for the content as DLC however.

Razmos

I wager Wind Waker era just gets added to the mass time dimensional distortion thing that occurs. Seems simple enough.
Yeah, I'd imagine a new "branch" just gets added at the point where the game branches into Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. Maybe the story will just retcon in a new portal that needs to be closed.

The problem with that though is that the roster already splits up at that point (Link goes to Skyloft, Lana goes to Twilight Hyrule and Sheik and Impa go to Ocarina Hyrule) so they'd have to add another character to go to that branch. Linkle would be a good bet.

I liked HW but I haven't even touched the DLc for it. Paying for what looks to be a fairly big downgrade for extra content doesn't sound like good time

Toon Link not being in the Wind Waker chapter makes sense when you consider how despite (sort of) being playable via DLC the OoT, TP and SS incarnations of Link and Zelda don't factor into the plot at all. It's always the Hyrule Warriors version.

If Majora's Mask had gotten a story chapter chances are Young Link wouldn't have gotten a part in it either despite the relevance to MM.

EDIT: Though I guess Tetra throws a spanner in the works there, since she's WW's Zelda and more or less that game's answer to Sheik. Could've been they felt there was enough separation between Zelda/Sheik character-wise to have Tetra be her own character in HW's plot but not for WW's Link.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Why would there be anything to say about a feature that's obviously not gonna be included?

Because one would hope that it wouldn't "obviously not be included" if we're talking about largely identical games? Monster Hunter 3U pulled it off.

So if I've never played Hyrule Warriors, should I want the Wii U or the 3DS version? I'm thinking the Wii U graphics over the possible new additions.

Has anything been said about cross-save functionality for this game?

I care more about this than new characters. I'm sure as hell not starting over from scratch on the 3DS and playing two separate instances of the same game.

If there's no cross-save functionality, I'll be buying the 3DS version, connecting it to the WIi U version to unlock the extra characters, and then selling it immediately. Unless the 3DS characters are available as DLC on Wii U, which I imagine they probably will be, even if not right away.

Escalario

Banned
Because one would hope that it wouldn't "obviously not be included" if we're talking about largely identical games? Monster Hunter 3U pulled it off.

This. If I'm not able to pass my WiiU version save, it will just make the deicision to not buy it all that much easier. I'm not gonna lose those 200 hours I have in WiiU version and start from the beginning.

Razmos

So if I've never played Hyrule Warriors, should I want the Wii U or the 3DS version?
I'd say the 3DS version, it will likely have everything that the Wii U version has, plus all the extra Wind Waker content, and perhaps even more.

With the added benefit of being portable which will help with how ridiculously long this game is.
EDIT: Oh, and it looks like the DLC characters from the Wii U version are included in the 3DS version already, so that's good value for money too.

cireza

Unlocking things in this game is so long that not having a save transfer feature would be a big mistake.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Unlocking things in this game is so long that not having a save transfer feature would be a big mistake.

My reasoning precisely. People need to get their transfarring on!

But seriously, this game needs it. Just putting out the same game and expecting your enthusiasts to grind all over again is silly.

Phoenixus

The only thing we know is that you can unlock WW characters by connecting both versions. Nothing about new story chapters and a possible Adventure Mode map.
I hope WiiU version will get all the new content, even if by paying few €. I'm not planning to pay 35€ for HW Legends just to unlock new characters and that's it.

If the connectivity is the only way of unlocking these characters for the WiiU version, then I'm glad Nintendo games hold their value; will get the 3DS version, unlock what's needed and sell it on for very little loss. A hassle to be sure, but Tetra is worth it. :p

Razmos

My reasoning precisely. People need to get their transfarring on!

But seriously, this game needs it. Just putting out the same game and expecting your enthusiasts to grind all over again is silly.
Can you imagine having to start again with 22(+?) characters and a level 255 cap? torture.

That's what anyone who buys this game has to look forward to.

I liked HW but I haven't even touched the DLc for it. Paying for what looks to be a fairly big downgrade for extra content doesn't sound like good time

I agree. HW is one of my favourite Wii U games, but I haven't even beat the first adventure mode, so the only part of the DLC I have touched is some of the characters. I would definitely play the game more on the 3DS, but the downgrade in graphics quality and likely enemy quantity is a turn off. I will probably just get the game on sale or used.

Awesome, having Toon Link playable gives me a good reason to get this version. I wanted him in the original game, felt weird he wasn't there.

No images or video or anything? Just "Toon Link is in the game" and that's it?

Yeah, I'd imagine a new "branch" just gets added at the point where the game branches into Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. Maybe the story will just retcon in a new portal that needs to be closed.

The problem with that though is that the roster already splits up at that point (Link goes to Skyloft, Lana goes to Twilight Hyrule and Sheik and Impa go to Ocarina Hyrule) so they'd have to add another character to go to that branch. Linkle would be a good bet.

Probably Tingle. He's in the base game now, is from multiple games, so he fits as a "base universe" character, and he was in Wind Waker.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good for the new story levels, but I'd like to know if I can transfer the new contents on the Wii U, and if the game will have cross-save (so I don't have to replay through the entire game again), otherwise I don't know if I want to purchase the game

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Awesome, having Toon Link playable gives me a good reason to get this version. I wanted him in the original game, felt weird he wasn't there.

No images or video or anything? Just "Toon Link is in the game" and that's it?

Probably Tingle. He's in the base game now, is from multiple games, so he fits as a "base universe" character, and he was in Wind Waker.

Don't think Famitsu scans are out yet. And we can't post those here anyway.

Top Bottom