• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Toon Link playable, Wind Waker story content

Razmos

Will it all be available as DLC for the Wii U version? I don't want to buy the 3DS version just for this.
Very likely, yes.

Also guys, GUYS: Rock remixes of the Dragon Roost Island,Windfall Island and Forsaken Fortress themes

And I wouldn't be surprised to hear a remix of the great ocean theme as well

Kinsei

Banned
GameXplain posted their analysis of the Famitsu info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebrj7X6eLA

Nothing we didn't already know from this thread, but I still thought I'd post it.

Very likely, yes.

Also guys, GUYS: Rock remixes of the Dragon Roost Island,Windfall Island and Forsaken Fortress themes

And I wouldn't be surprised to hear a remix of the great ocean theme as well

I predict we'll hear an 8-bit Great Ocean theme on the inevitable new adventure map.

TreIII

I can't see WW Ganon being the villain of the WW levels. He uses dual swords just like HW Ganon and unlike say Toon Link or Young Link, he would have no unique traits to make him worthy of being his own character. I'm sure we'll get a Toon Ganon skin via the inevitable WW adventure map though.

Well, Musou!Ganon already has a palette scheme that gives him WW's colors (which is actually my favorite). Forget if that was a MQ or Twilight Map unlock, though.

But anyway...if they really wanted to, I could see them making WW Ganon work. If nothing else, this is Koei we're talking about here. They're the ones who somehow figured out how to make several different types of movesets from a spear/polearm. I'm sure they could find a way to differentiate the two Ganons if it came to it and were deadset on making sure that both of them were using dual swords.

Of course, if they decided to buck the trend and give him Toon Phantom Ganon's Trident, instead, I wouldn't mind that, either.

NeonZ

They've already added yet another sword & shield Link, and there's already Tetra (Zelda), so I don't think Toon Ganondorf would be unexpected at this point. They also probably need some kind of villain boss for the new scenario, and that's the best option considering how at least the story seems to take place entirely in the Wind Waker era. I wonder how they'll handle that story though. They haven't actually shown any shots of Wind Waker characters standing alongside Hyrule Warriors ones. Will they really try to keep them from meeting each other throughout the entire new story?

Also, it seems really unlikely, but I wonder what are the chances of Wind Waker-style costumes for the HW characters or HW costumes for the Wind Waker characters... I remember seeing a Young Link mod for Brawl that showed that the animations of the WW models seemed surprisingly compatible with a more standard one.

I can't see them putting them in the pre-existing Adventure maps. They'll probably only be in the inevitable Wind Waker adventure map, the new rewards map stage(s), and of course if they do any more DLC packs.

I agree with that. Aside from the Wind Waker maps, new boss, ocarina item and hammer, there's also the new character switching mechanic, which means that, for example, maps where you need to rescue allied officers would need to be different. They also could add to those 3ds maps unlockable weapon tiers for characters or weapons that were originally DLC, like Tingle and Epona (and started with everything unlocked by default).

I think they might include the original LoZ map again though, in addition to the Wind Waker one, but with different actual battle set ups and reward distribution compared to the console version.

Razmos

I don't know why Gamexplain is saying it seems "Less and less likely" the content will be available seperately (without buying both versions). I mean just because they are repeating "You can get the content in the Wii U version if you have the 3DS version" doesn't mean it is only available that way.

I think it would be ridiculously stupid for them to make that the only way to get the content, especially with how decently priced and worthwhile the other DLC packs were.

TreIII

It would be pretty cool if they brought Vaati and Byrne/Steven in though I doubt that will ever happen.

Vaati would be interesting to see.

But I'd wonder if the more we start delving into content that Capcom/Flagship had a hand in, the more..."resistant" Koei may be to utilize any of it. Bad blood between Koei and Capcom and all...

Kinsei

Banned
Vaati would be interesting to see.

But I'd wonder if the more we start delving into content that Capcom/Flagship had a hand in, the more..."resistant" Koei may be to utilize any of it. Bad blood between Koei and Capcom and all...

Capcom didn't create Vaati, nor did he debut in a game Capcom created.

Velcro Fly

I don't know why Gamexplain is saying it seems "Less and less likely" the content will be available seperately (without buying both versions). I mean just because they are repeating "You can get the content in the Wii U version if you have the 3DS version" doesn't mean it is only available that way.

I think it would be ridiculously stupid for them to make that the only way to get the content, especially with how decently priced and worthwhile the other DLC packs were.

They said the same about Mewtwo in Smash but it was only for a couple weeks.

I really doubt it stays exclusive unless you own both. I'm sure it will be for sale.

Red Devil

If it comes to the Wii U as standalone DLC it'll likely be perhaps months later, like it happened with the preorder costumes.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The scans are out there and available now.

Thing to note:
  • Toon Link uses a sword and shield, it looks like the sword is charged with lightning? He also uses a hammer in another picture
  • Helmaroc King boss
  • What looks like 3 different maps (combat maps, not adventure maps). Forsaken Fortress, Windfall Island and Dragon Roost Island
  • The standard mooks on those maps are the Miniblin
    200px-Miniblin.png

(please tell me they don't make the noises they do in Wind Waker. that x1000 would just be hell)
  • In one of the screenshots you can also make out another enemy which I don't recognize from Wind Waker. It carries a mace
  • Definitely the biggest thing here. The Wind Waker story content IS coming to the Wii U version. There are pictures of Tetra on Windfall Island in a Wii U cutscene, and another picture showing Dragon Roost Island and Forsaken Fortress. The scans officially label those pictures as being on the Wii U.
  • There also appears to be a new feature in the 3DS version revolving around Owl Statues.
  • And there is also a picture of Link playing the Golden Ocarina, seen at the end of one of the trailers. It's a new item!

The news about the content coming to Wii U is fantastic. It's also great to see new stages, enemies, items, and a boss. It'd be cool if the Golden Ocarina warp item got patched into pre-existing levels to make them a bit easier to manage, but maybe that would break the difficulty. It would also be nice if the Wii U version got the character switching that the 3DS one has.

I'm really hoping that the 3DS release is going to essentially be like Destiny's 2.0 and TTK release: a new patch brings the 3DS features into the Wii U version, and then The Wind Waker content is the game's big expansion.

Also, give me Vaati. It's the only character that I really miss in Hyrule Warriors. But I understand if he's going to be saved for Hyrule Warriors 2 (on NX, please, so the co-op can work better).

L~A

The scans are out there and available now.

Thing to note:
  • Toon Link uses a sword and shield, it looks like the sword is charged with lightning? He also uses a hammer in another picture
  • Helmaroc King boss
  • What looks like 3 different maps (combat maps, not adventure maps). Forsaken Fortress, Windfall Island and Dragon Roost Island
  • The standard mooks on those maps are the Miniblin
    200px-Miniblin.png

(please tell me they don't make the noises they do in Wind Waker. that x1000 would just be hell)
  • In one of the screenshots you can also make out another enemy which I don't recognize from Wind Waker. It carries a mace
  • Definitely the biggest thing here. The Wind Waker story content IS coming to the Wii U version. There are pictures of Tetra on Windfall Island in a Wii U cutscene, and another picture showing Dragon Roost Island and Forsaken Fortress. The scans officially label those pictures as being on the Wii U.
  • There also appears to be a new feature in the 3DS version revolving around Owl Statues.
  • And there is also a picture of Link playing the Golden Ocarina, seen at the end of one of the trailers. It's a new item!

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, bit busy yesterday with other stuff. Added to the OP, thanks for posting.

Jackano

Site re-launched: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda-3ds/

Thanks gods for the two new stages. That's really the only con I have against the game in the end, not enough different environements. May still not be enough regarding the game hours of gameplay but good to see. I'm looking forward to the musics too, really good sound overall in that game too.

Kouriozan

As long as I can buy the DLC for the Wii U version, I'm fine.
Oh and it'll launch after Dragon Quest Heroes and Disgaea 5, I can kiss my social life goodbye @_@

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Thanks gods for the two new stages. That's really the only con I have against the game in the end, not enough different environements. May still not be enough regarding the game hours of gameplay but good to see. I'm looking forward to the musics too, really good sound overall in that game too.

Looks like the Wind Waker bit might be postgame content after the main game.

Interesting.

Eh, it looks like it's just *one* new stage going off that header in the website.

I'm guessing the Great Ocean gets drained, meaning you have some nice big areas to fight in-between Forsaken Fortress, Windfall Island and Dragon Roost Island which are all in the same map.

Razmos

The scans show a picture of Windfall Island as well
AND it shows again here:
system_ocarina_img.png

It's probably 3 stages, unless one half of that map is Windfall and the other is Dragon Roost, but I dunno

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the new story, stages, characters and boss make it worth it, imho.
It seems that to unlock the contents on Wii U you need the 3DS version, but I could be ok with that...the game screenshots for the 3DS versions seem honestly very good.

Razmos

Wait, I was wrong! I think it is 2 stages.

Dragon Roost Island looks like a seperate stage, but it looks like Windfall and Forsaken Fortress are 2 halves of one stage.

Look at the above picture, it shows Link's current position on the top right of the map, and he is teleporting to the owl statue in the middle of the map, if you look at the area he teleports too, it looks like it is just off camera from the shot on the right (same wall, same trees)
story_img_ss.png

So it looks like the hero's side is on Windfall and the enemies side is in the Forsaken Fortress. which is pretty cool I guess.

The small print to the character section implies the Wii U version is only getting the characters which contradicts Famitsu scans showing the Wii U cutscenes of the Wind Waker story content. On the other hand the rest of the small print seems to be saying you won't get existing Hyrule Warriors DLC characters though this (whatever this may be) and it is the character section too (so isn't necessarily all that will be unlocked).

Then again the story content could be free like the villain side-story stuff was.

Effect

Definitely the biggest thing here. The Wind Waker story content IS coming to the Wii U version. There are pictures of Tetra on Windfall Island in a Wii U cutscene, and another picture showing Dragon Roost Island and Forsaken Fortress. The scans officially label those pictures as being on the Wii U.

Excellent. I've spent enough money on this game (the first game I ever bought a season pass for or anything resembling one) that I didn't want to have to buy the 3DS version. For those that only have access to it great. You're in for a real treat assuming it runs well. Now to find out if we have to pay for this extra Wind Waker content or if it will be free for those that had the pass.

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, I was wrong! I think it is 2 stages.

Dragon Roost Island looks like a seperate stage, but it looks like Windfall and Forsaken Fortress are 2 halves of one stage.

Look at the above picture, it shows Link's current position on the top right of the map, and he is teleporting to the owl statue in the middle of the map, if you look at the area he teleports too, it looks like it is just off camera from the shot on the right (same wall, same trees)
story_img_ss.png

So it looks like the hero's side is on Windfall and the enemies side is in the Forsaken Fortress. which is pretty cool I guess.

Hmm, makes sense. I guess Dragon Roost will be similar to Lake Hylia where you start in the titular area and then progress into the dungeon to reach the enemy base.

EDIT: Or maybe it will be a reverse Death Mountain where the enemies are launching an attack from the shore and you have to make your way down the mountain from the Rito village.

Razmos

We've already seen the 3DS content in the Wii U version though, at the end of the trailer it showed Tetra getting the Golden Ocarina item in Wii U graphics. Considering we now know what that item is and what it does, it would be pointless to include that when it is only useful in the Wind Waker stages.

Golden Ocarina means Wind Waker stages, Wind Waker stages means Wind Waker story mode (especially since we've already seen screenshots of the cutscenes specifically marked as being in the Wii U version)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it was a safe bet to see 3DS new contents coming to Wii U. the questions were: will there be cross save? apparently not. will I be forced to buy the 3ds version to unlock the new contents on the Wii U? apparently yes, at least at the beginning.

Btw, 2 new stages, new story episodes (probably 2, one for each new stage), 3 new characters (? Toon Link, Tetra, and the King?), new enemies, and at least one new boss, right?

bumpkin

I wonder if this will be like Smash Bros. where it taps into extra memory on the OG 3DS and has that weird soft reset of the system dashboard when you quit.

maxcriden

Not sure if all this was covered yet, Famitsu details; forgive me if all old:

These translated Famitsu details come from Nintendo Everything...

- Toon Link has a sword-based, quick attacking style
- while small, he can send large groups of enemies flying
- Toon Link can jump high or use the Deku Leaf to attack. He’s a very technical battle type
- a new hammer item which lets him smash the ground to shake all the surrounding enemies
- Helmaroc King will appear in Hyrule Warriors Legends
- enemy can cause huge gusts of wind from its great wings, and it possess great strength in attacks compared to the usual enemy
- Miniblins (Wind Waker) and Big Blins (Spirit Tracks) are also shown in the various Famitsu screenshots
- Wind Waker will be added as a new chapter in Legend Mode with an original story
- however, Toon Link will not be playable here (available in other modes)
- Famitsu mentions that, with regards to the story, a new unusual event happens in Hyrule and Link sets off on another journey
- magazine teases: ''Just what kind of story will it be featuring the heroine Tetra and King Hyrule?''
- will be a number of new areas added for the Wind Waker section of Hyrule Warriors Legends - Famitsu shows Windfall Island, Dragon Roost Island, and Forsaken Fortress in its screenshots
- Toon Link (and eventually the other new characters) will be playable on the Wii U version, seen in updated graphics
- based on screenshots shown in Famitsu, it seems that these new locations will be available in the console version as well
- important to mention that there are plans for new characters to continuously appear
other than Tetra, King of Hyrule, and Toon Link, there are plans for characters that are still unannounced
- characters from previous works will come as DLC, too
- also information about a couple of new elements aside from characters and levels
- a new golden ocarina item is being added
- causes a great twister to appear that can take you to various Owl Statues you find throughout the battlefield. It might be an important component in time-based missions

(via NintendoEverything.com and GoNintendo.com)

Piers

the new story, stages, characters and boss make it worth it, imho.
It seems that to unlock the contents on Wii U you need the 3DS version, but I could be ok with that...the game screenshots for the 3DS versions seem honestly very good.

Even a Toon Link Amiibo unlock would be preferable over that.
Portable Musou game should be enough of a selling point. Smacking Wii U vets in the balls like this isn't a great marketing push.
Just hope the Wind Waker content is a timed exclusive before seperate DLC sale like previous packs.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Portable Musou game should be enough of a selling point. Smacking Wii U vets in the balls like this isn't a great marketing push.
Just hope the Wind Waker content is a timed exclusive before seperate DLC sale like previous packs.

I can see it being a timed exclusive and coming to Wii U later, but so far they have always shown those 3DS to Wii U arrows in trailers and scans, sooooo....!

Gradon

Skull Kid was always a missed opportunity and its baffling he wasn't in the Majora's pack, hopefully he's included in this, even if he is in DLC.

If this is all coming to Wii U, I'll be downloading it as soon as possible. It's never a bad time for more Hyrule Warriors content!

NeonZ

I think it's just mistranslation from part of the article that said that all the past DLC characters would be in the game too. It seemed to be just saying that Tingle, Twili Midna and Young Link would be playable in the 3ds game, rather than saying that we'd get DLC for characters from other old games. Still, there was also that line about more new characters, so this isn't everything either way.

Neoxon

This, please.

Azuran

Banned
This better have crosssaves or at least let me copy my saves between games for me to jump ship to the 3DS. I'm not playing 200+ hours to do the exact same things I did on the Wii U.

But knowing myself I'll probably still buy it since HW is GOAT game.

Top Bottom