• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m too old for MP games

StueyDuck

Tonight I decided to go play some Halo Infinite and half the time I was getting my ass kick…but bad. I don’t know why but it became more frustrating then fun so I guess it’s time to hang to glove.
I use to think that too about myself but I also realize sweatlords of today aren't the same as when we were younger.

These guys will spend their lives watching YouTube vids and streamers, reading on stat sheets and basically trying to run the new meta as fast as possible, I've literally been Matchmade on Warzone and the guys mic was popping some l33t pro strats video he was busy watching as he was playing 🤣 (it's why mp bores me, why should I shoot people instead of bots if they all the people are running around doing the same thing with the same loadouts).

That doesn't mean there weren't metas before in games, people just tended to give less of a shit about them and would rely on skill. Online gaming today is about how much you can break or "cheat" and sometimes actually cheat.

If you were to jump into a different older kind of mp experience where there wasn't really much gamebreaking meta you'll find you'll do better.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Dr.Morris79

but boy can it be frustrating searching for the enemy.
But damn fun when you find em! It's great fun when two squads are firing against each other across fields, the scale is top notch.

I got back into PC gaming these last two weeks, another game in my backlog I was finally able to run was Arma 3. That game with the sog prairie fire dlc is everything I could have wanted. It's another game with a massive scale and is slow moving to a degree

It's not even a fact I'm getting too old for most new multiplayer games it's just that they don't appeal to me at all. I've always been a Battlefield 1942 type.

I find zero fun in twitch shooters.

kyussman

I was never big on MP gaming,my aim was fucking awful.....in a one on one situation I would die probably 90% of the time,lol.The games that I enjoyed the most were Killzone,the support class was great in that series,I could rack up points doing stuff other than shooting people and often came out near the top of the leaderboad.I'm 50 now and MP gaming has less than zero appeal anymore.

Shubh_C63

30 here but I was never good at MP games ever. Any performance is good performance for me 🥲

Frankly It doesn't even bother me being second to last in MP games. I was adequate at Halo Infinite though to my surprise (PC controls vs Console i suppose)

Schmick

But damn fun when you find em! It's great fun when two squads are firing against each other across fields, the scale is top notch.

I got back into PC gaming these last two weeks, another game in my backlog I was finally able to run was Arma 3. That game with the sog prairie fire dlc is everything I could have wanted. It's another game with a massive scale and is slow moving to a degree

It's not even a fact I'm getting too old for most new multiplayer games it's just that they don't appeal to me at all. I've always been a Battlefield 1942 type.

I find zero fun in twitch shooters.
I have a bunch of friends, enough to fill up a squad and one of my most memorable moments in gaming was when I was acting as a spotter for one of our squad machines gunners. I was crouched next to him pinging and shouting locations to my team mate, watching the enemy fall. I didn't have to fire my rifle once.

Being squad leader too, with friends is a lot of fun (and stressful).

Darchaos

Im 42 and playing Battlefield 2042 at the moment and just having fun. Dont give a shit about k/d ratio and shit like that. One see so many people playing like they would die in real life if they die ingame or that they wont get layed if they have a bad k/d :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its a weird mentaly that people have with something so totaly unserious like a videogame.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I use to think that too about myself but I also realize sweatlords of today aren't the same as when we were younger.

These guys will spend their lives watching YouTube vids and streamers, reading on stat sheets and basically trying to run the new meta as fast as possible, I've literally been Matchmade on Warzone and the guys mic was popping some l33t pro strats video he was busy watching as he was playing 🤣 (it's why mp bores me, why should I shoot people instead of bots if they all the people are running around doing the same thing with the same loadouts).

That doesn't mean there weren't metas before in games, people just tended to give less of a shit about them and would rely on skill. Online gaming today is about how much you can break or "cheat" and sometimes actually cheat.

If you were to jump into a different older kind of mp experience where there wasn't really much gamebreaking meta you'll find you'll do better.

This reminds me of a mate who I play monster hunter with, who only uses some youtuber recommended mathematically perfect meta set, what we used to call "clown sets" before being able to change the visuals of your armor.

I was always like "yeah OK, but I only run full sets" because i found it fun playing the game as the set designer intended. Like each monsters armor is based on the monster itself so they have a specific play style in mind, I enjoy adapting my playstyle to the set. But he's the same in every game, it's always about the meta... I stopped playing WoW because or this, I stopped playing FF XIV because of this "oh you only have AST leveled? They suck this patch level WHM or your off the raid team"

I fucking HATE meta... I have slowly naturally moved over to coop games because I seem to have an affinity for shit or broken mechanics. When everyone was saying Druid was shit in Diablo IV this was why actively went for it... until i realised the game sucked in season 1. But as above, even in coop people are asking for meta shit now... its so boring.

the game I played competitively for awhile in my 30's was world of tanks, as it was based more on enemy knowledge and map awareness rather than any reflexes and did very well... however they then started extreme power creep and I just can't play it anymore, as meta tanks with better armor and penetration are everywhere now :( knowledge can't counter some broken tank wargaming decided to sell for real money that dominates the tiers.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This reminds me of a mate who I play monster hunter with, who only uses some youtuber recommended mathematically perfect meta set, what we used to call "clown sets" before being able to change the visuals of your armor.

I was always like "yeah OK, but I only run full sets" because i found it fun playing the game as the set designer intended. Like each monsters armor is based on the monster itself so they have a specific play style in mind, I enjoy adapting my playstyle to the set. But he's the same in every game, it's always about the meta... I stopped playing WoW because or this, I stopped playing FF XIV because of this "oh you only have AST leveled? They suck this patch level WHM or your off the raid team"

I fucking HATE meta... I have slowly naturally moved over to coop games because I seem to have an affinity for shit or broken mechanics. When everyone was saying Druid was shit in Diablo IV this was why actively went for it... until i realised the game sucked in season 1. But as above, even in coop people are asking for meta shit now... its so boring.

the game I played competitively for awhile in my 30's was world of tanks, as it was based more on enemy knowledge and map awareness rather than any reflexes and did very well... however they then started extreme power creep and I just can't play it anymore, as meta tanks with better armor and penetration are everywhere now :( knowledge can't counter some broken tank wargaming decided to sell for real money that dominates the tiers.
hahaha thats exactly how i feel about all of it for me, and i've had similar experiences to you, like your ffXIV story i could rip verbatim from when i tried to get back into dota with dota 2, like i say if everyone is doing the same thing over and over then i may as well play bots.

to me this is what games like Battlefield and Siege do well, they allow as much creativity as they do meta (at least older BF games), i am also not against a meta for those who enjoy playing that way, it just seems to be the common way now to play online games, i have younger cousins/nephews/nieces and they always bring up either roblox or fortnite with me and the first thing they always want to tell me about is their favorite streamer youtuber who shows them tricks or whatever the case may be.

I never did get into world of tanks, but i am glad to hear it does offer more than p2w which is how i felt of war thunder the few times i've tried to get into that.

Last edited:

Duchess

As well as age slowing down your reactions, it also affects your patients.

I'm playing Blasphemous 2 right now, and trying to get past my first proper boss (the giant skeleton in the sandy area). There's part of me that's thinking, if I can't get past this dude in the next 20 minutes, I'm just going to bin the game off. No time for that sort of thing any more.

I'm 46 right now. Go back just 10 years, and I'd be happy to plug away at the boss for over an hour. These days, I'm thinking I could be spending my time playing something else, that's not such a PITA ;)

Losing patience is part of the reason why I took 6 months out from Elden Ring when I got to the final boss, then just summoned someone to come help me deal with the tedious waste of space.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Isn't that the point? As you get older you have less time to put hours in to single MP to get good at it and be familiar with every map's layouts.
Age is one of the many things that affect that. There are people older than me who are much better than I am.

My point was deterioration with age is less of a factor than most people think until you're a lot older than OP probably is.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
hahaha thats exactly how i feel about all of it for me, and i've had similar experiences to you, like your ffXIV story i could rip verbatim from when i tried to get back into dota with dota 2, like i say if everyone is doing the same thing over and over then i may as well play bots.

to me this is what games like Battlefield and Siege do well, they allow as much creativity as they do meta (at least older BF games), i am also not against a meta for those who enjoy playing that way, it just seems to be the common way now to play online games, i have younger cousins/nephews/nieces and they always bring up either roblox or fortnite with me and the first thing they always want to tell me about is their favorite streamer youtuber who shows them tricks or whatever the case may be.

I never did get into world of tanks, but i am glad to hear it does offer more than p2w which is how i felt of war thunder the few times i've tried to get into that.

Really these days it's all Darktide (it has its problems but its 40k... ) and Deep Rock Galactic.

Nothing else seems to stick in terms of multiplayer, although larger more chaotic game likes Hell Let Loose or Chivalry 2 I still play. I do wish EA would make a good battlefield again... or someone else would :)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I weirdly get better with age, like a fine wine, by playing smarter not harder/faster.

Sure, getting old sucks but now I appreciate my lawn a whole bunch, sip whisky on the porch, yell at the clouds.

I'm 43, going on amazing.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I was very competitive few years ago, even if I always sucked. But for sometime now I realize what I really wanted was not to win high level games, but to have fun with the friends I made in the game.

SHA

Better, online for cheating and lag wins, it was never perfect, pros aren't real pros especially in fighting games.

Last edited:
It ain't about being in shape my man. Vision not as good. Reflexes not what they were. Time does indeed take a toll.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

:messenger_beaming:

What? NeoGAF is forever.
Wait what? 30 years from now that dude will be in his 40s? So he's in his teens now lol doesn't sound like he's an expert in the matter.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I stopped with Battlefield V.

I can’t compete with a younger audience amped up on energy drinks with far more free time to spend on videogames.

Aces High

It's actually pretty funny once you understand that the people you beat in online games when you were young, were just old farts like you are today.

I still enjoy online gaming even though I'm not so good at it anymore.

If you’re only focused on winning, then yea it can be rough. Maybe consider focusing on skills like getting better at headshots or sticking people with grenades. That’s what keeps me playing fighting games. I enjoy learning how to disrupt people’s game plans and landing combos I’ve practiced. If I win, I win but that combo I landed was nasty. I think that’s why unlockables are tied to winning less and less these days…if that makes any sense 😆

Last edited:

Sanepar

I'm 41. I play cod every year with a kd of 1.20 or more. This cod mw3 i can't get a positive kd in any match. Every player kill me fast. I don't get wtf is going on.

LordCBH

When I was in high school I had no problem throwing myself at stuff like COD4 and getting decent at it.

Today though? Fuck I’m dead tired when I get home from work lol. Then I see videos of the weird way people are moving in these games now spamming the crouch button and weapon swaps and zooming in circles. Ain’t got time for dat shit.

im only playing Bf2042 on pc at the moment. I know its not the most hardcore MP FPS out there but...

xe37qno.jpg

Not to bad for a 40 yeard old bastard like me :D

WitchHunter

Banned
Tonight I decided to go play some Halo Infinite and half the time I was getting my ass kick…but bad. I don’t know why but it became more frustrating then fun so I guess it’s time to hang to glove.
Good choice. MP games are the worst timesinks, literally vampires of your most precious resource, time.

Inanilmaz

I'm 40 and mostly play competitive multiplayer games. I get bored of most single player games pretty quickly these days but can play multiplayer all day.

I don't understand how people can get progressively worse at something they do regularly. I'm probably better than I ever was at games because I never stopped playing. Age means shit all.
You are the Money Mayweather of multiplayer games, always in prime.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was never MP fan but yeah... I am too old for this. I don't care for skins, levels, ranks... and I am not good ;P

There's a game for that ->

f345lVN.jpg

I gave up on the standard shite twitch shooters years ago, too many over developed thumbs, ADHD and autism.
No SBMM, no jumping twitchers, one bullet will kill an enemy, teamwork wins games and it has full controller support on PC.

It's currently the best FPS game out there that sits in between arcade and milsim.

Edit: No shit battle pass either. Maps are free and soldier cosmetics are separate DLC packs for $5.99 each.

Last edited:
These "sweatlords" as they are called will soon come to realize all that energy they spent wasting away at these games are just hollow shells that give nothing after a while. They'll soon become aware that no one cares if they were good at so-and-so game back in '23.

When I started playing Destiny I was bad too, and fretted about sucking and all that mess. Then I stopped playing other games and watched the "pros" on youtube and twitch and then proceeded to spend thousands of hours "gitting gud" and I dominated fools for years.

I then went around searching for recognition and fame, but for some odd reason no one in my daily life acknowledged my greatness. It was almost like I was an average joe in the real world and not some God of Thumbs who destroyed blue berries on a regular basis. I just couldn't understand why I wasn't treated as the gaming god I had become.

So yeah, all that time spent learning the game was just a shallow thrill that didn't last in the end, and made me realize what a waste of time online multiplayer really was in the end.

Top Bottom