• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand Japanese Honorifics, please explain them sensei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvero

Banned
-san
Sempei
Sensai
-chan
-kun
Etc
Ect

I'm playing Persona 4 The Golden and I see a whole bunch of honorifics and I really don't know what to think of them. Do some show who is inherently the leader? Are they gender specific? Can one go from a -San to a -kun? Sometimes the honorific seems given out of respect, other times it's almost done to mock the person. I'd love to know more.

I know I could google all this but I thought I would get more subtle and specific answers asking GAF.

I don't know too much, but I think these are ways to address ninjas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics#Common_honorifics

San
San (さん [saɴ]?) (sometimes pronounced han (はん?) in Kansai dialect), derived from sama (see below), is the most commonplace honorific, and is a title of respect typically used between equals of any age. Although the closest analog in English are the honorifics "Mr.", "Miss", "Ms.", or "Mrs.", -san is almost universally added to a person's name, “-san” can be used in both formal and informal contexts, and for any gender. Because it is the most common honorific, it is also the most often used to convert common nouns into proper ones, as seen below.

Sama
Sama (様 【さま】 [sama]?) is a markedly more respectful version of san and can be used for any gender. It is used mainly to refer to people much higher in rank than oneself, toward one's guests or customers (such as a sports venue announcer addressing members of the audience), and sometimes toward people one greatly admires.

Kun
Kun (君【くん】 [kuɴ]?) is used by people of senior status in addressing or referring to those of junior status, or by anyone when addressing or referring to male children or male teenagers, or among male friends. It can also be used by females when addressing a male that they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long period of time[citation needed]. Although kun is generally used for boys, it is not a hard rule. For example, kun can be used to name a close personal friend or family member of any gender. Also, in business settings, young female employees also are addressed as kun by older males of senior status. It can also be used by male teachers addressing their female students.

Chan
Chan (ちゃん [t͡ɕaɴ]?) is a diminutive suffix; it expresses that the speaker finds a person endearing. In general, chan is used for babies, young children, grandparents and teenagers. It may also be used towards cute animals, lovers, close friends, any youthful woman, or between friends. Using chan with a superior's name is considered to be condescending and rude.

Senpai
Senpai (先輩 【せんぱい】 [sɛmpaɪ]?) is used to address or refer to one's senior colleagues (respected colleagues) in a school, dojo, or sports club. So at school, the students in higher grades than oneself are senpai. Teachers are not senpai. Neither are students of the same or lower grade: they are referred to as kōhai. In a business environment, colleagues with more experience are senpai, but one's boss is not a senpai. In the same manner as English titles such as "doctor" or "professor", senpai can be used by itself as well as with a name.

Sensei:
Sensei (先生 【せんせい】 [sɛnseɪ]?) (literally meaning "former-born") is used to refer to or address teachers, doctors, politicians, lawyers, and other authority figures. It is used to show respect to someone who has achieved a certain level of mastery in an art form or some other skill, and is also applied to novelists, poets, painters, and other artists[citation needed]. In Japanese martial arts, sensei typically refers to someone who is the head of a dojo.

No honorific
Dropping the honorific suffix when referring to one's interlocutor, which is known as to yobisute (呼び捨て?), implies a high degree of intimacy and is generally reserved for one's spouse, younger family members, social inferiors (as in a teacher addressing students in traditional arts), and very close friends. Within sports teams or among classmates, where the interlocutors approximately have the same age or seniority, it can also be acceptable to use family names without honorifics. Some people in the younger generation (roughly "born since 1970") prefer to be referred to without an honorific, however, and drop honorifics as a sign of informality even with casual acquaintances.

GlossySmallBlacklemur.gif

ugu~~

Ignore them, they have no place in a proper english localisation. Op-kun.

First post fucking nails it.

The only real effect all this -san and -chan and god help me freaking -tan is for the player to get a smug sense of superiority because they are an expert on Japanese culture and shame and honor are big parts of it, and any English localization would be shooting itself in the foot to leave out such important parts of the superior nihongo text.

Because the games are so Japanese and so immersed in that stuff that you can't remove them.

There isn't a translation, really, of say, -Chi, or -Tan, or even -Kun/Chan. So you either leave them in or you remove them entirely and hope the lines still make sense without them.

Besides, it adds to the charm of Atlus games.

I was following well enough and then you threw in two new ones. What are -chi and -tan for then? I don't think I've ever seen those in the Persona games.

I was following well enough and then you threw in two new ones. What are -chi and -tan for then? I don't think I've ever seen those in the Persona games.

-tan is in P3: Junpei calls Yukari "Yuka-tan." According to my dictionary, "(cute) suffix for a familiar person." Not getting a hit in it for "-chi."

cj_iwakura

Because the games are so Japanese and so immersed in that stuff that you can't remove them.

There isn't a translation, really, of say, -Chi, or -Tan, or even -Kun/Chan. So you either leave them in or you remove them entirely and hope the lines still make sense without them.

Besides, it adds to the charm of Atlus games.

Except Atlus themselves are inconsistent. SMTIV and Soul Hackers don't use them(thank god).

You can make a close approximation out of any honorific with some effort. That's what localization means.

Sakura

-tan is in P3: Junpei calls Yukari "Yuka-tan." According to my dictionary, "(cute) suffix for a familiar person." Not getting a hit in it for "-chi."
In Japanese you can attach pretty much anything to someone's name.
-chi is just like, hmmm, changing Mike into Mikey or something. It's just like a playful nickname kinda.

Except Atlus themselves are inconsistent. SMTIV and Soul Hackers don't use them(thank god).

You can make a close approximation out of any honorific with some effort. That's what localization means.
They're inconsistent within Persona 4 even. Keep senpai but change oniichan to big bro? Yosuke calls Yukiko by her last name, with no honorific, in the Japanese version, but calls her Yukiko-san in the English version? yare yare da ze

jacksnap

Neo Member

-tan is a really cutesy way of saying -chan, because little kids sometimes have trouble pronouncing some sounds (English equivalent would be toddler's saying "widdle" instead of "little") so -tan originates as an appropriation from kids trying to say -chan.

What anime-GAF has to realize is that it's entirely possible to convey degrees of respect and familiarity in languages other than Japanese. No, there isn't a direct translation of -chan to a single English word. But that's entirely besides the point. An actual localization should never be focused on finding a one-to-one equivalent for every single word in the Japanese text.

Sakura

What anime-GAF has to realize is that it's entirely possible to convey degrees of respect and familiarity in languages other than Japanese. No, there isn't a direct translation of -chan to a single English word. But that's entirely besides the point. An actual localization should never be focused on finding a one-to-one equivalent for every single word in the Japanese text.

While it is certainly possible, given the general quality of most translations/localisations, I believe it is beyond their ability.
Generally the removal of honorifics and stuff means just that, and nothing is put in place to make up for them.

Yup, exactly.

Localization =/= translation.

Piecake

While it is certainly possible, given the general quality of most translations/localisations, I believe it is beyond their ability.
Generally the removal of honorifics and stuff means just that, and nothing is put in place to make up for them.

That is much better than the alternative. Sticking chan or san or whatever onto an English translation is just...well...it is hard to describe. It is basically the feeling that you get when you see translators doing that "All according to Keikaku shit"

Yes, congratulations, you love Japanese culture and language. Stop sticking Japanese language into an English translation. It adds nothing and at it does is remind me of people who are obsessed with Japanese culture and randomly stick Japanese words in their sentences.

But again, by doing that you're neutering part of the charm of the Persona series in the first place.

Sakura

That is much better than the alternative. Sticking chan or san or whatever onto an English translation is just...well...it is hard to describe. It is basically the feeling that you get when you see translators doing that "All according to Keikaku shit"

Yes, congratulations, you love Japanese culture and language. Stop sticking Japanese language into an English translation. It adds nothing and at it does is remind me of people who are obsessed with Japanese culture and randomly stick Japanese words in their sentences.

I wouldn't say it adds nothing. It can be rather useful in many situations.
For example, a game with a nameable protagonist and voice acting. In the Japanese version, you can get away with characters not voicing his name, because you can have characters simply call him 'Senpai' amongst other titles.
In an English translation, if you decide to remove those kinds of words, it can make such lines somewhat difficult as we don't really have an equivalent for a word like Senpai.

In any case, I'm not sure why people get bothered so much by that kind of stuff. When I've read things translated from French/set in France, I've often seen words like Monsieur left untranslated. Then you have games like say Assassin's Creed II where because it is set in Italy characters sometimes add random Italian words or phrases in sentences.

I'm not sure what it is about Japanese that gets people riled up when a work gets the same kind of treatment.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This can't be real.
But if it is, I must know where it is from.

I don't think it's real either but Google-sama tells me it's from Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji)

I'm not sure what it is about Japanese that gets people riled up when a work gets the same kind of treatment.

Because weeaboos say those words and like those works, and we don't want to be lumped in with those weirdos, amirte?

I just think it's a crutch, and it's created a fandom that is more interested in being anime fans and having their own little secret language, and less concerned with the works they're watching actually being of a high quality.

Yes, doing a proper localization is hard. But it's important.

evanmisha

'That's great, Sakura-chan!' Literally nothing is lost by removing the honorific. That's the case with a solid 99% of times you'll encounter honorifics in Japanese text. No honorific innately gives some deeper understanding into how a character or writer is thinking or feeling. It's all about context and any editor or even translator worth hiring should be able to massage the choice of honorific into the English text. Now, when honorifics are specifically mentioned, that can be a little challenging. But those situations are not only few and far between, they're also mostly inconsequential. Approximating... say, a character dropping an honorific when addressing another to signify closeness, with another indicator of that closeness... That's how translation works. It's not about 'this word means that word', especially not in dialogue. It's about 'this character who speaks like this and is this kind of person in this setting and in this year with this social standing and feels this way about this topic, says this thing in this way to this person who will react in this way, and is being read by/listened to by someone from this place who is likely this age'. There are so many different ways to say the exact same thing in English that to see, 'That's great, Sakura!' and think the intent of the writer has somehow been perverted, is missing the mark completely.

Nyoro SF

I like them.

It reminds me of when I read foreign translated novels, and they leave in titles like "Monsieur" or "Senor". :)

I do get a bit disturbed at some of the hyper-fan-violent reactions of people against seeing them at all costs. It's one thing to not like them, and then there's one thing where people are asking for a nuclear culture purge, lest their American sensibilities and internal world building are forever shattered. Chill.

Droplet

I feel like there's something to be said about keeping it as kind of a flavor text in some contexts, especially if they're historical in context. That said, when the voices come in, the aim should definitely be to localize.

Walpurgis

Banned
I just think it's a crutch, and it's created a fandom that is more interested in being anime fans and having their own little secret language, and less concerned with the works they're watching actually being of a high quality.

Yes, doing a proper localization is hard. But it's important.

I don't think anyone thinks of it as a secret language or that anyone feels better knowing that other people don't understand. I've honestly never considered that there are people who play Persona games that don't understand the honourifics. Then again, I learned them as a kid from the inside cover of some manga and watched a lot of anime. I imagine it is the same for many. People don't care whether or not the translations are good for their mother, they want the translations to be good for themselves. I prefer the honourifics to be kept in because I know what they mean and there usually isn't a direct translation for them. You are free to disagree and prefer the removal or localisation of honourifics, just don't accuse people who prefer honourifics of trying to stroke their sense of superiority.

Sakura

'That's great, Sakura-chan!' Literally nothing is lost by removing the honorific. That's the case with a solid 99% of times you'll encounter honorifics in Japanese text. No honorific innately gives some deeper understanding into how a character or writer is thinking or feeling. It's all about context and any editor or even translator worth hiring should be able to massage the choice of honorific into the English text. Now, when honorifics are specifically mentioned, that can be a little challenging. But those situations are not only few and far between, they're also mostly inconsequential. Approximating... say, a character dropping an honorific when addressing another to signify closeness, with another indicator of that closeness... That's how translation works. It's not about 'this word means that word', especially not in dialogue. It's about 'this character who speaks like this and is this kind of person in this setting and in this year with this social standing and feels this way about this topic, says this thing in this way to this person who will react in this way, and is being read by/listened to by someone from this place who is likely this age'. There are so many different ways to say the exact same thing in English that to see, 'That's great, Sakura!' and think the intent of the writer has somehow been perverted, is missing the mark completely.

Nothing is particularly gained by removing it either though ^^;
In that sort of situation, it exists for flavour. Is it needed? Of course not. Just like random Russian/Italian/French/etc words/honorifics aren't needed in works set in those places. But often they are still there, for flavour or atmosphere.
While I agree "keep them because it is impossible to convey the same meaning without them" is a poor argument, I think "remove them because I don't want to seem them" or "remove them because they don't need to be there" are equally poor arguments.

cntr

Banned
I think honorifics can be used to emphasize how anime something is (like Persona). It makes sense almost nowhere else.

Honorifics are really cool, linguistics-wise, though!

Edit: Also, to the poster above: honorifics in my English translations makes me feel like I'm reading a lazy translation, written by a guy who prefers being fake-Japanese over giving a real translation.

As a guy who studies lingusitics, and speaks some Japanese, honorifics in English do not give me, and cannot give you, the same feel as how they work in Japanese.

Honorfics are one component of the Japanese language as a whole. If you pull them out and throw them into English, you aren't getting the real idea of how a Japanese person interprets it, you're getting a fragment, a fragment changed by the rest of the English around it. At most, you'll be speaking some weird dialect of Engish used by animu fans.

If you want the "real Japanese experience", learn Japanese.

evanmisha

I don't think anyone thinks of it as a secret language or that anyone feels better knowing that other people don't understand. I've honestly never considered that there are people who play Persona games that don't understand the honourifics. Then again, I learned them as a kid from the inside cover of some manga and watched a lot of anime. I imagine it is the same for many. People don't care whether or not the translations are good for their mother, they want the translations to be good for themselves. I prefer the honourifics to be kept in because I know what they mean and there usually isn't a direct translation for them. You are free to disagree and prefer the removal or localisation of honourifics, just don't accuse people who prefer honourifics of trying to stroke their sense of superiority.

How can a Japanese to English translation be 'good for you', not as a native English speaker but as someone with a basic grasp on honorifics as a concept, and also not be exclusionary by nature?

Frankly, I want your mom to play Persona. One's attraction or lack thereof to foreign media should be defined by the source material and not by arbitrary linguistic roadblocks popularized by a vocal minority of consumers.

Nothing is particularly gained by removing it either though ^^;
In that sort of situation, it exists for flavour. Is it needed? Of course not. Just like random Russian/Italian/French/etc words/honorifics aren't needed in works set in those places. But often they are still there, for flavour or atmosphere.
While I agree "keep them because it is impossible to convey the same meaning without them" is a poor argument, I think "remove them because I don't want to seem them" or "remove them because they don't need to be there" are equally poor arguments.

They really don't need to be there, though. They add nothing and only serve to alienate a casual consumer.

Walpurgis

Banned
okay what about

-chin
or
-tan
Anything outside the stuff in the OP is usually some cutesy thing like chan (but even cuter).
what about "dono"

Dono is an olden day honourific that might be used between two kings, for example. If one king called another King-sama then he would be putting himself below him (calling someone sama is like an acknowledgement of your inferiority). So this king would instead call the other king, King-dono. Depending on the context, it could be used in an arrogant way where some homeless dude calls a king, King-dono and King-dono's right hand man will go all "tch!!!!!". I'm not a Japanese cultural expert, so I could be wrong.

How can a Japanese to English translation be 'good for you', not as a native English speaker but as someone with a basic grasp on honorifics as a concept, and also not be exclusionary by nature?

Frankly, I want your mom to play Persona. One's attraction or lack thereof to foreign media should be defined by the source material and not by arbitrary linguistic roadblocks popularized by a vocal minority of consumers.

I never said that it wasn't exclusionary. I said that I had never thought about it and doubt that it is the reason why many people prefer to have honourifics. I only appreciate the honourifics in the Persona dub because the game doesn't have Japanese voices with English subs. In the case of anime, using honourifics in an English dub would obviously be silly and needlessly exclusionary because people who want honourifics will just watch the subbed version and people who don't want honourifics will be left with nothing.

StoneFox

I like it in the Persona series because the games take place in Japan and I just think it adds to the charm; I wouldn't want it from every localization to come out of the country like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, but I think it works in a game that tries to simulate living in modern Japan. And if I recall correctly, the P4 manual does define most of the honorifics as well as some of the other terms in the game like kotatsu and sensei.

It's like how I don't mind the honorifics being used in the English dub of FLCL and don't miss them when they are completely dropped in Cowboy Bebop.

cntr

Banned
Dono is an olden day honourific that might be used between two kings, for example. If one king called another King-sama then he would be putting himself below him (calling someone sama is like an acknowledgement of your inferiority). So this king would instead call the other king, King-dono. Depending on the context, it could be used in an arrogant way where some homeless dude calls a king, King-dono and King-dono's right hand man will go all "tch!!!!!". I'm not a Japanese cultural expert, so I could be wrong.
Nowadays, "dono" means you sound like a samurai. It's like how speaking with "thy" and such makes you a Shakespeare-era noble character nowadays in English.

Nowadays, "dono" means you sound like a samurai. It's like how speaking with "thy" and such makes you a Shakespeare-era noble character nowadays in English.

Yep, some old folks still use it (the war generation is basically gone) but other than that it's non-extant outside of pop-culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom