• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I feel like" vs. "I think" Does former expression make you sound like an expert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel and I think both exude uncertainty amd doubt. To show real courage and confidence say "I believe..." like a true GAFer would.

Politicians using 'feel' is how Brexit won. They straight up dismissed facts and leaned on the feelings of the public.

It's a scary weapon.

I use "I feel like" to express that I have a sense that something is true but I don't trust that sense enough to actually believe whatever-it-is. It's a useful way to bring up an idea for discussion that you want to hear opinions on but which you're not ready to declare yourself for or against.

Yeah, I figured we all used it that way. Though I only use "I think", never "I feel like" for theory or ideas, because the expression is clearly meant to be followed by an emotion, not theory or fact.

But it's not uncommon for a somewhat appropriate mode of speech to be hijacked by rhetorists.

Two Words

To be honest, whenever I hear someone say "I feel like...", I immediately distrust what they say next. I feel like that phrase usually leads into them citing some anecdotal evidence or some obvious confirmation bias.
But who really knows. I haven't seen the data on that.

Uhh....

PaulloDEC

I say "I feel like" to acknowledge that what I'm about to say is informed by my personal experience and may be incorrect or not generalize to everyone. It has absolutely nothing to do with trying to shut anything down or make my opinion bulletproof. The opposite, really.

This exactly. I've no idea how it came to be thought of as a phrase that is used to stifle conversation; I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it that way, nor have I had that kind of reaction when I've used it.

Hellix

I use "I feel like" to express that I have a sense that something is true but I don't trust that sense enough to actually believe whatever-it-is. It's a useful way to bring up an idea for discussion that you want to hear opinions on but which you're not ready to declare yourself for or against.

For example, I don't follow video game business news very closely. Sometimes news will get mentioned in mod chat. I might react by saying something like: "I feel like this is a bad move for Nintendo because..." What I want is for someone who pays more attention to this stuff to explain why my intuition is right or wrong.

I also use it if I'm talking to someone who I have strong disagreements with as a way of softening the impact of a statement. It invites talking about whatever-it-is rather than a shouting match - it's less likely to offend. Contra- the article, I think it makes it much easier for people to express reasonable disagreement because it's a much weaker way of identifying yourself with a position.

Exactly how I like using the phrase.

Cyan

Banned

For example, I don't follow video game business news very closely. Sometimes news will get mentioned in mod chat. I might react by saying something like: "I feel like this is a bad move for Nintendo because..." What I want is for someone who pays more attention to this stuff to explain why my intuition is right or wrong.

I also use it if I'm talking to someone who I have strong disagreements with as a way of softening the impact of a statement. It invites talking about whatever-it-is rather than a shouting match - it's less likely to offend. Contra- the article, I think it makes it much easier for people to express reasonable disagreement because it's a much weaker way of identifying yourself with a position.

I feel like I do this too.

Phu

Banned
This exactly. I've no idea how it came to be thought of as a phrase that is used to stifle conversation; I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it that way, nor have I had that kind of reaction when I've used it.

Agree. I'm having trouble imagining the kind of scenario described in the article.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
People sometimes use this in dumb ways and other times in smart ways. I feel like anybody who is generalizing about it's use isn't terribly aware of how people speak in there day to day.

I usually use it to mean "I might be wrong."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I feel like" sounds wishy washy. I try to avoid "feel like" whenever possible, unless I'm using the noncommitance for effect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to use both interchangeably because I often have no confidence in what I say and don't want to state things as facts, but don't want to say the same thing all the time.

*shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom