• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give up - Here's the Project Cafe (Wii 2) Mockup Thread (2400 baud warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

Elfforkusu said:
sDBUV.jpg
hahah awesome. id love to try and use this.

KevinCow

Banned
Mista Koo said:
I totally ignored the screen part (because I don't buy it)

How could people still not buy it. The controller screen and the Cafe name are literally the only two things that every single source has agreed on, and Cafe has pretty much been confirmed as true.

I mean. I don't know. It's just logic. A large number of people come out on the same day and claim to have inside knowledge that Nintendo's gonna announce their new console soon, its codename is Cafe, and it's going to have a 6 inch touch screen on the controller. A few days later, Nintendo announces that they're working on a new console and will show it off at E3; a few days after that, someone finds a picture on an official Nintendo site referring to the Nintendo Cafe. Therefore, if A, B, and C are all tightly intertwined rumors, and both A and B are confirmed, why could somebody continue to insist that, hold on guys, maybe C isn't true! Okay, maybe. Nothing's ever truly 100%. But I think in this situation, the chance that there's truth to it is far greater than the chance that a bunch of sources all got together and decided they wanted to troll the internet by making up some bullshit and "leaking" it on the same day.

Now, maybe it's far different than anything anyone here has put forward. But the chances are, like, 90+% that it'll have a touch screen on the controller in some way or another.

I'm a firm believer of the vertical screen. I'm thinking Nintendo would be going the route of the slate, as in something you can leave on the coffee table and quickly pick up and check out. The vertical screen allows the user to hold the controller sideways and use their thumbs to control the game like iphone/android games. The vertical screen also allows the controller not to be massive horizontally like the NGP. Here's a quick mockup I made.

vertical.png

It doesn't have to be a circle, but my guess for the next controller is something flat similar to a tablet/smartphone without being a phone and all the processing done by the console.

KevinCow said:
How could people still not buy it. The controller screen and the Cafe name are literally the only two things that every single source has agreed on, and Cafe has pretty much been confirmed as true.
ESPECIALLY since it fits their past design choices. Before the Wii had motion controls, we had WarioWare Twisted and Kirby Tilt 'N Tumble. Before the DS had two screens, they had Game & Watch. Nintendo always bases their "gimmicks" off of their old ideas. And we've seen screen controllers from Nintendo in Four Swords Adventures and Crystal Chronicles. And it was a flop because you needed four handhelds, four cables... I could easily see Miyamoto thinking "I still like that concept. Could we do that better?" Because they've done exactly that several times now.

Between this and multiple sources saying it, yeah, I'm inclined to believe this is extremely likely to happen.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Don't Nintendo want people to be able to use the touchscreen WITH a pad or buttons rather than one or the other? I sort of hope so. Would offer some interested new possibilities (i.e. touch pad WITH real buttons)

Linkup

Anybody remember the black ipod-ish mock up with the buttons and d-pad embedded right into the screen? I think it had NSMB as the game being played.

jetjevons said:
Don't Nintendo want people to be able to use the touchscreen WITH a pad or buttons rather than one or the other? I sort of hope so. Would offer some interested new possibilities (i.e. touch pad WITH real buttons)
That's what the rumors are saying, yeah. Basically an iPod Touch mixed with a 360/PS3 controller.

dGJUl.jpg

Here's my quick concept idea for the controller.

Picture 1- The top 3DS screen attached to a wireless Classic Controller Pro.

Picture 2- The screen can fold down on top of the buttons to make it compact.

Picture 3- The controller also can separate from the screen, and also separates in half for 2 handed motion controls, like the Wii nunchuck/remote combo.

Also, this was a supposed leak of the controller from that 1up project cafe article. -
t6NHK.jpg

Utako

Banned
thezerofire said:
bummer. seems like a pain to me.
Not sure how a larger iPod Touch with buttons could possibly be anything other than amazing and godly, but I guess there's someone to shit on everything!

I'm a firm believer of the vertical screen.
I'm a firm believer that you'll be disappointed.

IGN's sources said it would look like a modern version of the Super Nintendo, right?
What if they've been working on it since the Super NES era? Maybe....

rpmurphy said:
It looks like the controller's dropping its jaws.
I'm more concerned with the pure unfiltered uber-awesomeness being radiated from the console itself.

It's like other consoles want to be it, and women want to make love to it.

BMF said:
I'm more concerned with the pure unfiltered uber-awesomeness being radiated from the console itself.

It's like other consoles want to be it, and women want to make love to it.

It's a great looking mockup (console-wise....that controller is something else--not that I'm saying my gag mockup is anything special), but it would probably need more ventilation than the SNES had if it's going to be a high end piece of kit.

orioto said:
Cadrigeless snes looks like a people without eyes or something, it's scary
So, it's awesome and gives orioto the heebie jeebies. Awesome.

Orioto: do you have a thought of what their next console should look like?

Mista Koo

KevinCow said:
I think I misphrased that, what I meant to say is I don't get how it would work.
I believe in Nintendo and I hope they would surprise me.

Mista Koo said:
I think I misphrased that, what I meant to say is I don't get how it would work.
I believe in Nintendo and I hope they would surprise me.

I think the idea is it will work however each game wants it to work, and no doubt some games won't use it for anything interesting whatsoever.
MMOs and other complex interface games could be supported in a similar way to the Razer Switchblade, although that's a pretty boring idea and essentially just a high tech version of putting paper overlays on the Jaguar Joypad.

Luigison said:
I like this idea best, but I don't see why the left part would need to break off. Let's just hold the screen on the left side with the help of the weighty, ergonomically evolved left-nunchuk, and do what we need to do with our right hand:

- touch screen with fingers
- break off the right piece to either use it like standard Wii Remote Plus or to use as stylus on the screen

There's no need to break apart the left nunchuk from the screen is there?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
its a controller, not a megazord.

it won't be built to come apart. there is no way they would ever risk the screen dropping out of that setup (which would easily be the heaviest portion)

orioto

Good Art™
BMF said:
So, it's awesome and gives orioto the heebie jeebies. Awesome.

Orioto: do you have a thought of what their next console should look like?

No, why should i ?
I jut think a pad with a screen is lame. I would go for the tablet like one :

Ek8ze.png

Cause at least the idea of having a real big home portable device connected to a console makes sense to me and it's design. But it would have to be big enough to replace the tv.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
you guys really need to not get hung up on things like hinges or sliding or detachable parts.

preach to me all you want about that limiting creativity/imagination but there isnt a cold chance in hell that they would do that in a controller. the only parts that are going to move are the sticks, buttons, and triggers.

JohnTinker said:
you guys really need to not get hung up on things like hinges or sliding or detachable parts.

preach to me all you want about that limiting creativity/imagination but there isnt a cold chance in hell that they would do that in a controller. the only parts that are going to move are the sticks, buttons, and triggers.
Except technically the Wii Remote and nunchuk were detachable, among others...

Mista Koo

So here's a deformed an edited version of my mock up featuring two screens, the screens are of the same finish of the controller and hence they will blend with it:

WNM2E.png

5gMOZ.png

I accidentally removed the speakers but you got the idea.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Aren't large square-shaped controllers uncomfortable to hold? I mean, at least the Famicom/NES controllers were small.

I totally ignored the screen part (because I don't buy it), but I had to do my take :3

iqd8g.png

The bottom thing is the player indicator light.

cbAos.png

Can you guess where each part came from?
This concept works both as a wand like free dgrees of freedome controller and as a two handed SNES like controller. It could have buttons but it was in the vein of the free from patent.

wiisnes_gafv1xrp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom