• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I give up - Here's the Project Cafe (Wii 2) Mockup Thread (2400 baud warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
MYE said:
My stuff

edit: *i'l rehost it later*

jTOin.jpg
Wh7hg.jpg

5jT6K.png

I can't imagine something like this being appealing to consumers. Don't get me wrong the photoshopping or whatever program skills went into this is very impressive. But the design itself isn't appealing. Consumers are too used to ipads and tablets where the screen takes up the entire face of a tablet. If this controller is meant to stream games, movies, or in anyway simulate some aspects of a tablet experience the overall size of the shell needs to be smaller and the button placements need to be closer around the edge of the screen. There is too much bulk/casing surrounding the screen.

MYE

I'd just like to point out that the controller in the bottom shop is actually smaller than the top one.

Not arguing against people who find it bulky or ugly, just pointing out that the if the woman was holding the bottom revision, it would be visibly smaller.

Kintaco

ijr1S.png

My design is about 8.75"x 4" with a 16:10 6 inch screen. I don't think this is unusually large.

I also made this one:
QdCPE.png

Which is 5.5"x6.5" with a 16:10 6 inch screen.

The reason I made them the way I did was because of the descriptions I've read about.

luffeN

Kintaco said:
I also made this one:
QdCPE.png

Which is 5.5"x6.5" with a 16:10 6 inch screen.

The reason I made them the way I did was because of the descriptions I've read about.
Nice! That's what I tried to convey with my shitty mockup :D

JaseMath

I like MYE's mock on a purely aesthetic level (and because I respect the work that goes into making decent mock up), but I just think it's a too big. (vertically).

So not a Café mockup exactly, but hearing that the controller could be radically different from the Wii's made me want to instead mock up what I'd like to see from an evolution of the wiimote/nunchuk pair. A few odd colorings and misnamed buttons, but fixing them would be more trouble than it's worth.
20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg

And its companion piece, a much shittier image since it's hard to find nunchuk pictures as good as the remote one used for the basis of the above.
20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg

thezerofire said:
wait, is the screen-in-the-controller confirmed?
Confirmed by Nintendo, no. Solidly agreed upon by the rumors, including ones which got the Café name right, yes.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So not a Café mockup exactly, but hearing that the controller could be radically different from the Wii's made me want to instead mock up what I'd like to see from an evolution of the wiimote/nunchuk pair. A few odd colorings and misnamed buttons, but fixing them would be more trouble than it's worth.
http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg[img]
And its companion piece, a much shittier image since it's hard to find nunchuk pictures as good as the remote one used for the basis of the above.
[img]http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg[img]
[/QUOTE]
This is the best thing I've seen all thread.

One request though - The pointer is the right-hand analog stick. Drop the slide pad and put the Gamecube button configuration quad on there instead.

BMF said:
One request though - The pointer is the right-hand analog stick. Drop the slide pad and put the Gamecube button configuration quad on there instead.
When I first made this a weekish back I wrote a bit on decisions like these. But as to those specific points:
1) I'm one of those guys who misses things like the right analog for camera control. That slide pad there is even smaller than 3DS's, so it wouldn't make a perfect recreation for all the things regular right analog sticks do, but is enough for minor things like camera control, and height-unobtrusive enough to not get in the way of A button use.
2) I did experiment with putting the full GCN lineup there, but ran into two problems. One is that I wanted to keep things symmetrical, so having B on the left would mean some equivalent on the right. Then, no matter whether you're a lefty or a righty, there's some button getting in the way of where you're naturally leaving your thumb. Two, the Y button was starting to invade the d-pad's territory. So to not have to try to push A down (or the d-pad up) and keep things symmetrical, I just erased B and Y, and mirrored the X button.

watershed

Banned
HYDE said:
24ceczq.png
[/IMG]

toyed with MYE's pad, to give people an idea with aligned analog sticks.

In some ways its a very nice looking design. But it looks uncomfortable to hold and if there is going to be that much space/casing around the screen then it should be made ergonomic i.e. more like a controller and less rectangular. Have people thought about holding such a large controller and using 2 thumsticks at the same time? I think the size and weight of the controller would make using 2 sticks very unwieldy. On tablets your thumbs do a lot of stabilizing which you lose when your thumbs are moving sticks around. Might be an issue with these more tablet looking devices.

Dead Man

Baud warning. Awesome. Anyway, I really have no idea how Nintendo will make this work assuming the leaks are accurate. Some very interesting ideas in here, but none that I find myself really liking from an ergonomic and information flow standpoint. I don't want to downplay the awesome work in here, I just can't see the leaked features working well. But I know nothing about industrial design, so ignore that opinion freely! :D

A.KU.MU said:
Nice work, but I would prefer a smaller form factor/screen and alternative placement of the analog sticks.

Placing the analogue sticks below the d-pad and the buttons would bring it more in line with the layout of the Classic Controller and the PS pads. As for the screen dimension, I guess it depends on what type of content its meant to display (full games, interface elements, alternative view modes etc).

All of this will of course be irrelevant when Nintendo unveils that Project Café is really about mind-controlled holograms. I predict a failed E3 demonstration by Miyamoto due to interference by impure brain waves from the audience.

krae_man

twingloxx2 said:
Interesting, Koei made a console? Mind (somewhat) blown.

Would have been cool if it played other strategy games apart from Go.

Apparently. I don't own one yet so I have no idea how good/terrible it is.

So the most likely scenario so far is:
-One controller with Touch Screen per system included, closer in look to these:

wii2twinretrowbzd.jpg

-The cost for extra TouchController around 85 - 100 U.S. Asuming a bit high cost because it might include some logic and memory.
-Included in the system is a cradle for the touchController. It functions with the system when in sleepmode to get notifications among other things.
-A separate WiiRemote/Nunchuck solution also comes bundle with the console.
-The new Wiiremote solution could use the included camera for absolute tracking. So when the touch controller is in the craddle it works like a sensor bar for the Wiiremote.
-The Wiiremote then could be cheaper, since it wont need to have an onboard camera.

That's what i quickly gathered. Any suggestions/objections or addtional comments?
JoshuaJSlone said:
[http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg
http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg
Joshua you are waaaaaay too smart to put 2 triggers stacked like that and a thumbstick in the Wiiremote. The 2 bean shaped x buttons are ok though.

The part that needs heavy modification from Nintendo is the Nunchuk. I agree with the Dpad you put there. Make it wireless, put a Dpad, 1 analog trigger (bonus a digital click), wider bumper, drepressible thumbstick, insert a gyroscope (apart the accelerometers already in), rumble. Oh yea! stereo speakers but with higher quality for both Wii remote and Nunchuck. And we are set.

Refreshment.01 said:
So the most likely scenario so far is:
-One controller with Touch Screen per system included, closer in look to these:

wii2twinretrowbzd.jpg

-The cost for extra TouchController around 85 - 100 U.S. Asuming a bit high cost because it might include some logic and memory.
-Included in the system is a cradle for the touchController. It functions with the system when in sleepmode to get notifications among other things.
-A separate WiiRemote/Nunchuck solution also comes bundle with the console.
-The new Wiiremote solution could use the included camera for absolute tracking. So when the touch controller is in the craddle it works like a sensor bar for the Wiiremote.
-The Wiiremote then could be cheaper, since it wont need to have an onboard camera.

That's what i quickly gathered. Any suggestions/objections or addtional comments?

Joshua you are waaaaaay too smart to put 2 triggers stacked like that and a thumbstick in the Wiiremote. The 2 bean shaped x buttons are ok though.

The part that needs heavy modification from Nintendo is the Nunchuk. I agree with the Dpad you put there. Make it wireless, put a Dpad, 1 analog trigger (bonus a digital click), wider bumper, drepressible thumbstick, insert a gyroscope (apart the accelerometers already in), rumble. Oh yea! stereo speakers but with higher quality for both Wii remote and Nunchuck. And we are set.
Thanks for posting this.

Refreshment.01 said:
We just disagree on the benefit of any sort of analog control added to the remote. But what's the big issue with the two buttons on the back? I was basically trying to mimic the nunchuk's setup of one big one and one small one, but just doing so by uglily reshaping the B button for both of them.

The appearance of the controller is obviously more intriguing, but I had a go at the design of the actual console. Inspiration from the leaked/faked images and the Wii.

h2KBP.jpg

Mista Koo

I totally ignored the screen part (because I don't buy it), but I had to do my take :3

iqd8g.png

The bottom thing is the player indicator light.

cbAos.png

Can you guess where each part came from?

So many of these mock-ups just don't take into account how your hands will be resting / used. Either the joysticks and buttons are right on the edge or too far in, the screen is way too big as an actual controller, or they just down right wouldn't work.

Mista Koo

From The Dust said:
GCN
Wii

your worse choice was the 360 D-pad. that's a nono
There are 4 more.

And no way anyone would choose that, that's supposed to be a Saturn d-pad but it got slightly deformed, just slightly.

JoshuaJSlone said:
20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg

20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I want this.

mantidor

JoshuaJSlone said:
http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423wiimoteplusplus.jpg[img]
[img]http://joshuajamesslone.name/images/date/20110423nunchukplusplus.jpg[img]
[/QUOTE]

This is terrible, seriously. Making two of everything doesn't make it better at all. I don't see the point in basically any of the buttons added. it reminds me of the joke controller for a playstation with two speakers once the speaker of the remote was announced.

Double shoulder buttons for traditional controllers are already complicated and mostly ignored, because is easier to lose grip of the controller that way, imagine that now with the remote which is used with only one hand. Honestly, this mockup doesn't seem even that functional.

mantidor said:
This is terrible, seriously. Making two of everything doesn't make it better at all. I don't see the point in basically any of the buttons added. it reminds me of the joke controller for a playstation with two speakers once the speaker of the remote was announced.

Double shoulder buttons for traditional controllers are already complicated and mostly ignored, because is easier to lose grip of the controller that way, imagine that now with the remote which is used with only one hand. Honestly, this mockup doesn't seem even that functional.

The biggest problems for third-parties with the Wii were (1) lack of power and (2) lack of buttons. Cafe could solve both, and not have to give up the split controller.

I don't know on what planet a touchscreen that big will make for a good controller.

A small Dreamcast memory unit style thing would be cool but that's about it.

mantidor said:
This is terrible, seriously. Making two of everything doesn't make it better at all.
Not necessarily. The Dualshock basically took a lot of things and doubled it. Two sets of shoulder buttons, two analog sticks, two rumble motors... Brilliant.

...Actually, despite that bit of sarcasm, I really like the Dualshock. I was never a big Sony fan, but I always thought they had the best controller since the PS1 days.

Oh, are we throwing are own ideal controllers in here too? Well, here's mine then.

wxXUh.png

No back button/s. Two hidden shoulder buttons on the left side.

mantidor said:
This is terrible, seriously. Making two of everything doesn't make it better at all. I don't see the point in basically any of the buttons added.
The point was to try to combine the Wii controller form with the functionality of regular dual analog controllers, without the new additions getting too much in the way for simpler/BC purposes. The sole thing missing is a fourth regular face button, but I figured there was enough else there to make up for it.
Double shoulder buttons for traditional controllers are already complicated and mostly ignored, because is easier to lose grip of the controller that way, imagine that now with the remote which is used with only one hand.
Have people been dropping their nunchuks due to both C and Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom