• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I know I've seen Thor 2, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything about it. I seem to recall that Thor was in London at one point, and the villains were the elves from Lord of the Rings. That's about it.

You know you've seen a stinker when the screen-on time for your phone almost matches the run time of the film by the time it finishes.

tell me you did this at home....

mjc

I think it means something when you put in more effort into making something entertaining than Alan Taylor did during the entire production cycle of "Thor 2."

For what it's worth, I blame the movie being shit on Alan Taylor. There's definitely a good movie in here somewhere, but there's definitely a lack of creative vision and excitement coming from the guy in charge of it. The movie doesn't feel like it makes any attempt to elevate the script into something more fun. Maybe bits of that are the fault of Feige, the Creative Committee, or even Ike Perlmutter, but there's definitely no enthusiasm here for the hero and it shows.

I think Taylor was largely to blame as well, although he makes it sound like it was all Marvel keeping him down throughout production. (Which may have been partially true besides.)

I think it's better than Thor 1, for what it's worth. While it's not a great movie, I do think that GAF has an irrational hate boner for it too. If I had to describe Thor 2 in one word...it would be unexceptional.

Thor 2 was about gravy and pilgrims.

I'm not sure what's worse Thor 2 or iron man 2 defiently the 2 worst marvel movies since the mcu.

Did the movie make money? I don't want the Thor 2 to get any search hits

Akiraptor

it was all a setup so Taika Waititi will take his place as the greatest man at anything ever, a place he earned with every other movie he ever made, but didn't get noticed for so he had to do a tentpole one.

I mean look at it

xX5i7F1.png

his last 2 movies scored +95% on RT ffs.

Damn you. I saw Eagle vs Shark listed and thought I might be in for a night of cheesy SyFy goodness, but nope. Just some comedy.

Ahasverus

This is a great summary, I legit don't remember anything about Thor 2 haha. I understand people saying BvS theatrical was worse, yeah, it made no sense, but Ultimate Cut? No way in hell.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol hilarious post.

but the answer you are looking for is that its a Marvel movie. They are judged differently than most other movies. In the same world where BvS and SS are reviled by gaffers, you have people defending Thor 2 and pretending Iron Man 2, Ant Man and Guardians really deserve their high RT ratings.

I enjoyed Thor 2. I liked the visuals in Asgard. I liked Loki's performance which was much more charming than in Avengers and Thor 1. I liked the portal fight sequence at the end. It was creative. It's a fun movie. It's typical Marvel formulaic movie that you watch and forget about for the rest of your life. But people love it.

And thats OK. There is nothing wrong with liking forgettable summer blockbusters. It's when you start to apply a different set of standards for movies like MoS, BvS and SS where i get impatient and decide to take on these Thor 2 and Iron Man 2/3 fans who had no problems with ridiculous humor in Thor 2's final battle, no problems with Mickey Rouke's terrible villain, no problem with Pepper turning into a super hero, no problom with Guardians literally holding hands to beat the villains.

Again, all that is fine for a super hero movie. but at least fucking admit that those are BIG fucking flaws in a very mediocre movie.

Ladekabel

Reading the plot points I remembered that I watched Thor 2. But one could say I'm not one to talk since I kinda like Iron Man 2.

-griffy-

Banned
I feel you have created a scenario that doesn't exist (that people somehow give Thor 2 a pass, when it's pretty much a recurring punchline on Gaf, among other places), and therefore have gone way overboard to an extent that Thor 2 just doesn't warrant. Your pictorial evidence's entire premise is that BvS is so bad it's even worse than Thor 2. That's what the general perception of Thor 2 is here.

Thor 2 is not a "travesty" of a motion picture. It's biggest sin is that it's never really more than okay. It's not an actively bad movie. It exists. It's fine. There's even entertaining stuff about it. This movie doesn't warrant this much thought or effort because it's not good or bad enough to deserve this much of a post on NeoGAF.com. It's place is being a decent enough movie where you saw it in the theater and were like "That was fine," where it's lasting legacy is ironic/not-ironic posting of Darcy and Tumblr gifs in every Marvel thread.

Rockk

Thor 2 is bad because it's boring.
Batman vs Superman is bad because it's Snyder's pretentious, cluttered nonsense.

But to be fair Batman and Robin is better then both of them.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'd rather watch this movie with a delayed Mandarin dub on a 240i bootleg VHS tape with poor tracking before watching Iron Man 3 again.

Sephzilla

Thor 2 is bad because it's boring.
Batman vs Superman is bad because it's Snyder's pretentious, cluttered nonsense.

But to be fair Batman and Robin is better then both of them.

Someone who knows what's up.

B&R manages to circle the shit scale so far back that it loops back around to becoming great.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I suck the finest milk that Kevin Feige's teets can feed me, and even I thought Thor 2 sucked. It's 2 hours of filler. I'd watch Naruto or whatever shitty anime people love if I wanted that.

mjc

lol hilarious post.

but the answer you are looking for is that its a Marvel movie. They are judged differently than most other movies. In the same world where BvS and SS are reviled by gaffers, you have people defending Thor 2 and pretending Iron Man 2, Ant Man and Guardians really deserve their high RT ratings.

I enjoyed Thor 2. I liked the visuals in Asgard. I liked Loki's performance which was much more charming than in Avengers and Thor 1. I liked the portal fight sequence at the end. It was creative. It's a fun movie. It's typical Marvel formulaic movie that you watch and forget about for the rest of your life. But people love it.

And thats OK. There is nothing wrong with liking forgettable summer blockbusters. It's when you start to apply a different set of standards for movies like MoS, BvS and SS where i get impatient and decide to take on these Thor 2 and Iron Man 2/3 fans who had no problems with ridiculous humor in Thor 2's final battle, no problems with Mickey Rouke's terrible villain, no problem with Pepper turning into a super hero, no problom with Guardians literally holding hands to beat the villains.

Again, all that is fine for a super hero movie. but at least fucking admit that those are BIG fucking flaws in a very mediocre movie.

So parts of GAF are Marvel fanboys, and since you're a DC fanboy you don't like that.

Dalek

The Thor movies feel like the straight to video part of the MCU.

They just feel "off" and kind of cheap. I could never quite explain it.

I never liked the design of Asgard from the very start in the MCU to be honest. And they're just rolling with it now, of course. But it never looked "Norse"-it looked like plastic Sci Fi.

tell me you did this at home....

For Thor 2, yes.

For BvS, nope. It was so bad I had to have running commentary with a friend for the final hour to get through it. But don't worry, there were about 5 people in the whole cinema, none of whom were sat anywhere near me.

And to be honest, they were probably all doing the same.

WillyFive

Thor 2 was pretty boring. It is certainly the poster child for a forgettable script.

But worse than BvS? No, that's just nonsense.

Also, Lone Ranger would have been awesome if the whole thing was like it's final 15 minutes. But it's not.

phanphare

Banned
but the answer you are looking for is that its a Marvel movie. They are judged differently than most other movies. In the same world where BvS and SS are reviled by gaffers, you have people defending Thor 2 and pretending Iron Man 2, Ant Man and Guardians really deserve their high RT ratings

ant man and guardians? those are both good movies. certainly in a higher tier than thor 2, bvs, and iron man 2

PsychBat!

Banned
lol hilarious post.

The final battle in BvS is the quality standard.

I think Taylor was largely to blame as well, although he makes it sound like it was all Marvel keeping him down throughout production. (Which may have been partially true besides.)

I think it's better than Thor 1, for what it's worth. While it's not a great movie, I do think that GAF has an irrational hate boner for it too. If I had to describe Thor 2 in one word...it would be unexceptional.

On one hand, Alan Taylor signed onto do Termynatyr Genysys, implying he doesn't have the best taste when it comes to picking movies to direct or he doesn't really care about what he directs. On the other, Marvel during this time scared off Patty Jenkins with their vision of the film clashing with her vision of it, showing that micro-managing tendency that gets discussed a lot when talking about Perlmutter-led Studios. I don't know if we can really blame one person for how mediocre this movie is.

Also, does this mean we'll get no more "Thor 2" options in polls?

I really liked Thor 2. Yeah, the plot is not as memorable overall, but its a fun movie with good action, and some funny moments.

Some characters are annoying and the antagonist is super forgettable, but the overall movie I though was good. Not as great as the other Marvel movies, but certainly 10x better than any recent DC or other superheroes movie not directly marvel owned/related.

lol hilarious post.

Personally I find incoherent editing and the betrayal of the core principles of characters more problematic than any of the stuff you mentioned.

woolley

I think I remember them being in an empty cement building and that's about it.

I thought the movie was pretty much universally hated around here anyway?

It's all true, including deserved praise for The Lone Ranger. Although there's a part in the middle with insects and being buried neck deep that wasn't necessary.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Iron Man 2 is worse
You're insane. This board's general loathing and derision of IM2 is bonkers and way way over the top.

Hell, I like it way more than IM3, a movie I've seen twice and barely remember. Iron Man 3 sucks.

Sephzilla

I can at least tell you that the bad guy in Thor 2 is some ancient Dark Elf dude who wants to use the Aether to cause a dimensional alignment and basically wipe out a bunch of shit all at once. And Thor has to stop him because he's the hero. The movie is straight forward, stupid, and safe.

If you tried to get me to explain what the fuck Lex and Superman are thinking in BvS and what their motivations are you'd get a very long confused stare from me. The only person in that movie that makes any moderate amount of sense is Batman.

You're insane. This board's general loathing and derision of IM2 is bonkers and way way over the top.

Hell, I like it way more than IM3, a movie I've seen twice and barely remember. Iron Man 3 sucks.

Neither of the Iron Man sequels are good. But Iron Man 2 struggles to find its own identity as a movie, and has an incredibly forgettable villain who jobs out incredibly easily to the hero twice in the movie. The second time is to a glorified high five.

Daingurse

I like Thor: The Dark World more than the original Thor and Iron Man 2. It's not a great movie whatsoever, but I've still never been able to relate to the hate it gets here on GAF. I've seen it like 3-4 times, and find it to be pretty enjoyable.

Personally I find incoherent editing and the betrayal of the core principles of characters more problematic than any of the stuff you mentioned.
You know, I still have yet to see Batman actually do anything worse than he's done in other media in BvS.
The worst thing he did was blow shit up with people inside and im sure it's not the first time in his 60 year history.

Someone told me that Thor was his favourite superhero movie. I had yet to see it, so I went into it with high expectations. And, well, I didn't like it much. It was serviceable, but kind of boring and uninteresting.

So, I wasn't too excited about watching Thor 2, but I did. And it was a damned awful travesty. One of the worst.

For these reasons, I don't even care that they're making a third movie.

Thor 2 is nothing. In that it's nothingness. Like if it didn't exist... nothing. Story... nothing. Character development, beats... none of that, nothing.

It should be called Thor: Nothing. Or just Nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom