• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

It was worse than the first one, which I would call "inoffensive". In what should be the most epic and fantastic of the Marvel movies, the magic was reduced to "highly advanced technology" junk.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There was a Thor 2?!

This was my response too. I literally thought they were filming it right now here in Australia but that must be the third movie.

I never liked the original anyway, just saw it as a vehicle for launching a lesser known character to the mainstream in preparation for the Avengers.

Daingurse

I don't really disagree with most of the OP, but I think saying it's better than BvS is legitimately acceptable. Because while Thor 2 is forgettable and guilty of pretty much everything you accuse it of, BvS is actively bad and nonsensical. So while you do remember BvS, none of it really makes sense.

I will also say, at the very least Thor 2's climactic fight with all the portals is a pretty creative idea. Probably the most creative thing in the film.

It's a dumb set-piece, but yeah I thought it was pretty fun and creative.

Honestly, this is how I feel about the first Thor movie, although I haven't seen the second. Thor landed on Earth, and I think there was a rainbow road, and then they (who's they? Dunno) fought at a gas station I think. I pay attention and remember movies pretty well, but that movie near completely left my brain. I don't want to know what Dark World would do to me.

Natali portmans character is one of the worst parts of the thor movies. She sucks.

I dont remember shit from Thor 2 except how much I hated her character.

I love you, Lionel. In fact, I love all those posting in this thread. I love you all.

Am59uvU.gif

Nope, I havent seen the UC yet. It's sitting at home I just haven't had the time
or enthusiasm
to sit through it.
It's actually a good film and entirely makes sense, the Ultimate edition that Is and solves a lot of issues. I know that doesn't make up for what was released in theatres but there does exist a good version of the film that I wouldn't mind watching again. My first impression of BvS was that it was alright but I understood the criticism, despite most of it being and still being wildly hyperbolic. Though like another poster said 3 hours is a long time to sit through and I watched it during a long car ride and ended up falling asleep and having to finish the rest later.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I can at least tell you that the bad guy in Thor 2 is some ancient Dark Elf dude who wants to use the Aether to cause a dimensional alignment and basically wipe out a bunch of shit all at once. And Thor has to stop him because he's the hero. The movie is straight forward, stupid, and safe..

He doesn't cause the dimensional alignment, that was happening regardless. Malekith just knew it was happening despite being asleep for thousands of years and only waking up when Natalie Portman somehow wound up inside a stone column.

Manu

I had the same experience. I have no idea why.

I was watching Avengers 2 when they showed the Infinity Stones that had showed up in the MCU so far, and I was like

"wait, when did they show the red one before?"

"Thor 2."

"But I watched Thor 2."

Faustek

The first mistake was Lee, Lieber and Kirby even trying to do Tor the second mistake was not having Chris Hemsworth running around shirtless throughout the whole movie just bashing in heads with Mjölner. At least something of value could have been salvaged then.

I don't remember much more of the movie to be honest...he was topless somewhere and Loke did some magic and it was still bad...Don't know why I even have any hope for anything regarding any future releases.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man Thor 2 sounds dreadful.

But Lionel, we never did get your opinion on Thor: The Dark World. After all it's only fair.

I was reading through OP's summary and it seems I have a terrible memory when it comes to Thor 2. Honestly the only things I remembered were 1. Kat Dennings was annoying and 2. Natalie Portman was annoying.

I recently saw Batman v. Superman and it was at least >1000 better than Thor 2 (and most of the lesser Marvel movies). The plot was weak but it took risks and had some great moments that I'll remember far longer than an average Marvel movie.

Criticism for a movie where the reviewer "doesn't even remember the movie lol lol". You should have added that you slept through half of it and the fact you would have just walked out of the theater except you were with friends.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So parts of GAF are Marvel fanboys, and since you're a DC fanboy you don't like that.
huh? I have never read read a single DC comic. I couldnt care less about DC. I enjoy both Marvel and DC movies. What I dont get is the over the top DC hate. Not sure if you read my post at all tbh.

ant man and guardians? those are both good movies. certainly in a higher tier than thor 2, bvs, and iron man 2
They are OK movies. Nothing special. I enjoyed watching them both, Guardians more, but it is so basic with its 'oh i haz no friends, be my friend plz' plot that brings all these characters together. Not to mention the awful villain and the borderline fraud ending holding hands to beat the final boss.

The final battle in BvS is the quality standard.
It's not. I like the visuals but the fight itself is disappointing save for all the wonder woman stuff. But at least they fought the guy. The title fight in BvS is even more disappointing. They just punch each other. See, i am not some blind fanboy who does not admit the movie's flaws. I cant say the same about the folks in this thread who went on the defensive straight away and replied to Lionel's amazing post with a simple 'Well I like it.' Might as well tell him to fuck right off.
Personally I find incoherent editing and the betrayal of the core principles of characters more problematic than any of the stuff you mentioned.

It's jarring but not incoherent. Incoherent means you cant follow the movie and with a plot as simple as BvS and SS, i refuse to believe anyone had trouble following it. UC flows much better because the cuts arent as jarring but the theatrical edition is very easy to follow.

I can understand why some Batman fans might be put off by him killing. That's a reasonable complaint and creates a huge plot hole in this world because if he has no problems killing goons then why keep Joker, Harley and other villains alive? But does that mean the movie is Twilight or Transformers bad? Come on.

I have come to accept the fact that Zack Snyder doesnt care about who Batman or Superman are supposed to be in the comics. This is his own take. For better or worse we have to get used to it. As long these characters and their motivations stay consistent in this universe I am fine with it. Superman being mopey makes sense in this universe. Batman being a murderous paranoid asshole makes sense in this universe. Save for the bit about not killing joker etc but the movie does point out that he went 'cruel' after Superman showed up.

So far in their own weird logic the movies are consistent with their portrayals of their characters. The execution hasnt been great, the martha scene was shit, so Bruce's transformation doesnt feel earned but these characters exist in this movie universe and have nothing to do with what they did in the comics.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head about the movie being so insanely forgettable.

I have never understood why this movie gets a pass, if anything we should all be even more up in arms that a really well received character like Thor just can't get a decent movie.

In the first thread where the thor 2 thing started I posted:

I take issue with the fact that the movie doesn't particularly try to engage the audience within it's own drama.

I think the worst of it is that it really just feels so lost in what it wants to be, it doesn't know if it wants to be cosmic or a viking adventure until half way through the movie. There are so many scenes that felt ripped from other movies completely.

It was just bored with itself, the kat dennings and natalie portman duo was oddly enough the most interesting part of the movie because they were doing stuff and there was legitimate risk involved.

Sure I will agree it does have its moments, and Loki does shine but there really isn't much there for the viewer to hold on to, I can't even remember the main plot of the movie really, I just remember the highlights, like kat dennings and natalie portman finding the portal thing, the infiltration, the prison break, the escape through that secret passage, something else happened and then it ended in a big battle on earth.

I dunno, like BvS oddly enough was a more memorable experience because at least it kept hitting all those so bad it's hilarious marks, kind of like terminator genisys.

I think the few moments that are firmly implanted in my mind are the ones that made me go "wait isn't this scene ripped straight out of this other thing?", because goddamn does the movie have a bunch of those.

That scene where the enemies stealth cruise their way into asgaard and crash into the temple thing and start attacking is ripped straight out of the SWTOR "Deceived" trailer. The intro battle I swear is from a lotr movie and there is even some shit that looked way too similar to percy jackson. Thor 2 is actually just a bad movie, it's got mostly bad acting, a bad storyline, bad pacing, a mediocre OST, horrible set pieces, and just fails to make you even want to keep watching.

Iron man 2 and 3 are the ones that frequently get cited as being worse. Honestly though, they are more functional movies, they have distinct plot lines that have distinct plot threads and don't over complicate things. But the best part is that they have a lot of characters we want to root for besides the protagonist. I have rewatched both all 3 iron man movies a bunch, they make for great background noise.

I have only seen Thor 2 twice, one at a friends house and once when I realized I couldn't remember anything about it. It was not good either of those times.

Do you know why it wasn't good?

Because it was bad.

Azoor

Thor 1 in my opinion is just as bad. The "Odin Sleep" is one of the most contrived things I've seen in a movie.

I mean, seriously ?!

This reminds me of a cracked article or something like zero punctuation. I like that stuff. I'll finish reading it later, good thread op.

Riposte

I like Thor: The Dark World more than the original Thor and Iron Man 2. It's not a great movie whatsoever, but I've still never been able to relate to the hate it gets here on GAF. I've seen it like 3-4 times, and find it to be pretty enjoyable.

The Dark World is a 3/5 film people treat like a 1/5, it's like a meme. I can barely comprehend the ranting in the OP because it's too busy trying to say something funny. Anyway, the only Marvel movies that cleanly stand above it are the top tier ones. It's easily above Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor 1 (the three worst Marvel movies). I'd say it's in the area that contains Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, and Cap 1, with it being better than the latter. For the record, the only 5/5 Marvel movie is Winter Soldier.

Zemm

The general consensus seems to be Thor 2 is worse than the first and for me the first Thor film is awful, so I never watched the 2nd and never will.

It was all right. Barebones story and basically irrelevant as far as the MCU goes, but it has some ok action scenes. Never going to watch it again but eh.

I would love for someone to post a statement by Natalie Portman saying she wanted out of this series. Just one. I don't think it exists. I think it's somehow seeped into the haters consciousness and effects their perception of how she portrayed her role.

I've watched this movie a half dozen times probably. I don't see any scene where she wasn't engaged in it.

I think you haters are projecting.

OP that looks like a lot of effort you went to just to be snarky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom