• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I guess it's time we cleared the air regarding Thor 2.

Thor 2: The Dark World?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think I read the OP for this thread, but by the time I came to post, I couldn't remember if I did or not. I think it was written by y2kev? Batman was involved at some point?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We got War Machine out of it so there's that.

Cheadle "Congratulations, Cap. You're a criminal." Machine is one of the worst things that humanity has produced.

Daingurse

What about that Hulk movie no one ever talks about?

I like the Incredible Hulk a lot more than most people. I would put it over both Thor movies, and Iron Man 2 & 3. I enjoy it as much, if not more, than Antman and Captain America: The First Avenger.

...I was saying that about Thor 2 lmao....

You're accusing me of hyperbole but then call BvS's premise interesting. Also all of us basically said Thor 2 isn't good.

I'm sure you both were. that however doesn't mean that BvS is a far better movie (and good to boot)

This is hyperbole to you?

You argue like my wife.

And also-I don't think BvS of all movies is the hill you want to die on.

1. pointing how one movie is better than another and how it's fans wave it away by saying that they can't all be great is flawed arguing?

the tired responses of how it's the worst movie ever, yes it is hyperbole. sorry we don't all hate BvS with the power of a thousand suns.

Zyrox

So, Mandrake, forget Thor 2 for a second (that doesn't seem to be difficult) and let's have a little chat about...owls. Just let it all out. I'm listening.

I really don't remember much of the movie at all besides Mew-mew.

Thanks Lionel Mandrake for the write-up. You are a true saint among us.

I'm sure you both were. that however doesn't mean that BvS is a far better movie (and good to boot)

1. pointing how one movie is better than another and how it's fans wave it away by saying that they can't all be great is flawed arguing?

the tired responses of how it's the worst movie ever, yes it is hyperbole. sorry we don't all hate BvS with the power of a thousand suns.
All I did was say it was a boring movie using a similar format as the person I was quoting. I don't get why you're so upset lol.

Harpuia

I remember catching this movie on the TV one night. It definitely had a feel of a Syfy movie that you watch because "fuck, I dunno, what's on TV, I'm bored" is how you're feeling at the moment.

To me the worst sin any type of story, movie, cartoon, book, etc. can commit is having characters that I do not care about. Usually I can tell this won't be fixed if halfway I can't be arsed to remember character names. Thor 2 had Thor, Odin, Loki, Bad Guy. Anyone else you can boil down to their role, versus their actual character. Thor's mom plays..Thor's mom. Thor's love interest plays..Thor's love interest. It's like you said. They seemed to stick in things they felt the movie should have, but forgot to expand upon them in an attempt to grow the story, the world, and the movie itself.

The most interesting side characters in the movie were Thor's army men. I guess it was interesting seeing them go against Odin to help Thor and Loki do their thing? The little break-out montage was fun to watch. Interesting things like conflict of interest, questions of loyalty occurred during that bit. You know, interactions with characters that give depth!

Movie's OK, if boring. I was amused by the Loki plot twist at the end of the movie. I guess we'll see where that goes in the next one.

I wouldn't say I hate it as much as you do, Lionel. You should be careful when picking your words. I hear some Owls are pretty big Thor fans...

tumblr_nplaxtyRBG1uunofmo1_1280.png

cacildo

I dont remember anything about either

But at least i didnt tried to watch it again

(I did tried to watch Iron Man 2 again.... and again. Its terrible. Its the worst super hero movie of the modern ones)

Harpuia

Yep. Absolutely no point in it

I feel like this is the most damning thing about it. Marvel and Co. makes these movies to grow their series and build an interesting world. But..if their movies are boring and pointless, what are they doing then?

I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy hit it out of the park in achieving this goal. Up until then, they've been building up an impending doom that promises to be larger than anything we've seen. Bigger than native Earth threats, bigger than Literal Gods (Thor and company). All of a sudden, the MCU gets bigger by introducing more alien life/civilization, ancient doomsday tech. All of a sudden, there's not only one alien civilization or race of all powerful beings, there's an entire universe filled with them. Doesn't hurt that the movie was just all around fun.

I feel like this is the most damning thing about it. Marvel and Co. makes these movies to grow their series and build an interesting world. But..if their movies are boring and pointless, what are they doing then?

I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy hit it out of the park in achieving this goal. Up until then, they've been building up an impending doom that promises to be larger than anything we've seen. Bigger than native Earth threats, bigger than Literal Gods (Thor and company). All of a sudden, the MCU gets bigger by introducing more alien life/civilization, ancient doomsday tech. All of a sudden, there's not only one alien civilization or race of all powerful beings, there's an entire universe filled with them. Doesn't hurt that the movie was just all around fun.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy. Easily one of my favourite Marvel movies. I am Groot!

The thing that annoyed me the most about Thor: Dark World was the final battle. We are in a world where the Avengers had to rally against alien forces over New York to keep the world from being invaded. Yet, here we are in London with a portal open and alien forces streaming in and the world is going to be destroyed in just a few minutes and ... oh we'll just let Thor take care of this.

Senoculum

Batman v Superman is an amazing movie and will be looked back fondly as the years go by. Mark my words.

CA: Civil War is extremely mediocre and quite possibly had the worst production design of the year.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still OP in the genre.... Except that it works better as a buddy space adventure than a "superhero movie."

You guys should really check out The Invitation from last year. Excellent exercise in paranoia. A tight little thriller.

The Raid 2 is the best action movie -- and best crime drama. It's the one to beat guys.

What movie was this thread about?

Batman v Superman is an amazing movie and will be looked back fondly as the years go by. Mark my words.

CA: Civil War is extremely mediocre and quite possibly had the worst production design of the year.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still OP in the genre.... Except that it works better as a buddy space adventure than a "superhero movie."

You guys should really check out The Invitation from last year. Excellent exercise in paranoia. A tight little thriller.

The Raid 2 is the best action movie -- and best crime drama. It's the one to beat guys.

What movie was this thread about?

Still don't understand why everyone throws out The Raid 2 as the holy grail of action movies. After seeing John Wick and seeing fight choreography done right. It is hard to watch anything with 20 punch combos and floating in hair action anymore. Especially if you train muay thai or jiuijitsu you know how legit JW is!

Still don't understand why everyone throws out The Raid 2 as the holy grail of action movies. After seeing John Wick and seeing fight choreography done right. It is hard to watch anything with 20 punch combos and floating in hair action anymore. Especially if you train muay thai or jiuijitsu you know how legit JW is!

Hear Hear

McNum

What do you have against owls, anyway? Some of my friends are owls. OvO

I actually do remember Thor: The Dark World. I am not entirely sure why the Dark Elves had the black liquid from X-Files, but apparently that was an Infinity Gem and it was named Aether or something like that. Then Thor's mom died, and he and Loki went on a buddy-cop vengeance rampage to said Dark World which was a desert with a color filter applied. Then they fought in London, with portals everywhere, until it exploded and all was well. Also Thanos, but not yet. There also was a bad guy, but I think he exploded, or something.

I am pretty sure, though, that the entire point of the movie was that one scene where Thor gets on the London Underground. That was funny. Even if he didn't pay, but really, who's going to tell the God of Thunder to get off the train? If Thor needs to be somewhere, best to let him just go there.

Then Loki sits on the throne of Asgard and pretends to be Odin. None of which is actually explained, but will probably be part of Ragnarok.

Because you love it? Because the movie doesn't work thematically, structurally, tonally. The pacing is terrible, the photography is a shocking disappointment, the characters don't manage to hold anything together.

It's baffling that anybody would think this movie will age gracefully. Odds are you will see yourself wondering how the hell you ever liked it.

Senoculum

That's funny because I don't know anyone personally who's touting the Raid 2 as the holy grail... Aside from me. And weren't Gaffers saying they prefer the first one anyway? I feel like I'm in the minority.

I love action flicks though, and definitely think highly of John Wick, but exactly with your words, "it's hard to watch anything with 20 head shots and floating in-the-air action." Its second viewing did little to excite me, unfortunately.

I personally think the Raid 2 has an escalation within its set pieces that's unmatched, and it boasts such incredibly nuanced performances, along with an epic (I don't use that word lightly) tale of a classic deep undercover story mixed with crooked crime families.... It's wholly Shakespearean.

Different strokes.

To not derail the thread further, I watched Thor 2 exactly once, and thought, "the space scenes look pretty" at one point. I also remember laughing my ASS off when Thor teleported to Natalie Portman in mid-stride and made out with her. What an awful excuse of a motion picture.

Because you love it? Because the movie doesn't work thematically, structurally, tonally. The pacing is terrible, the photography is a shocking disappointment, the characters don't manage to hold anything together.

It's baffling that anybody would think this movie will age gracefully. Odds are you will see yourself wondering how the hell you ever liked it.

Because I admire it?

It works. It's thematically sound, not sure how you missed it. Structurally, it's actually a perfect 3 act play (every act ends exactly at an hour with a huge turn of events) its screenplay has deliberate beats. The performances are great. And photographically? Are you serious? It's an awfully pretty movie, and literally uses every film technique in the book. Not figuratively -- literally. Its compositions by Larry Fong are solid, and the colours and high dynamic range are fluidly amazing. Don't forget the sound design; Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL tell their own narrative with their score. Probably my favourite of the year, and certainly less bombastic than Nolan's Batman flicks. I personally appreciated where they took the characters and look forward to future instalments. Want to talk how structurally off and mismanaged Suicide Squad was? Because the ultimate edition of BvS is definitely not in the same camp.

Who am I kidding, I'm not going convice you and you're not going to convice me. Too bad though ;)

Anyway, does anyone want a remake of Crow's Zero as much as I do?

Replicant

Just because I put BvS lower than Thor 2 it doesn't mean that they're both are not of dumpster fire variety. However, at least Thor 2 had a clear idea of its story whereas BvS was a mish-mash of items thrown into the wall and hoped that somehow they formed a narrative via awful editing. That just gives Thor 2 a slight edge in dumpster fire warmth to the one BvS offers.

But who needs dumpster fire when you have ducted central heating at home?

Veelk

Banned
Veelk got what he wanted and he hasn't even shown up in this thread???

Hey, I'm happy it happened, but that doesn't mean that I am going to go into every thread discussing it.

There are some marvel movies that I think are underrated, including Thor 1, but Thor 2 is not one of the ones I'm willing to fight for.

I will say this though, I don't acknowledge "If I forgotten it, it must be the films fault" as real criticism. Memory is remarkably faulty and even the stuff you feel you remember is usually skewed in some way. I've seen peopl who come out of movies they love with misremembering key parts, or else have little recollection of it after a week. The better criticism is that it failed to make the viewer care. It's the lack of the viewer caring that leads to this perception of forgetfulness. Thor and Jane's romance is underdeveloped for the gravitas is given (I always thought it was like a better acted version of Anakln and Padme), the villain is literally given no motivation for his universe destroying actions, Thor's mom was barely in the films and is only here now just so she can die (something lionel pointed) out and stuff like that.

I don't have a problem remembering Thor 2, atleast not any moreso than most other films in general. But I just don't give a fuck about it.

I'll be honest, it's dumb and stupid but I'd much rather watch Thor 2 two times than have to watch BVS again.

At least the worst Marvel films are enjoyable and (relatively) inoffensive popcorn movies.

vaderise

Dunno,
twist ending
in Thor 2 is preety memorable.
Hulk is incredibly underrated yet strangely over rated. Eric Bana's a fine Hulk, even.
Nope, ''Hulk'' is boring and dull and deserved every shit it got. Some fans claim it's a unique film because it has comic book panel transitions. It's Suicide Squad Snapchat filter level of bullshit. I still can't believe Ang Lee directed that.

Monocle

There are times when I'm willing to overlook the overall messiness of a movie if the characters are entertaining, and there are cool things to watch, and there are shirtless hunks. Sorry Lionel but sometimes it's totally OK to indulge in what amounts to a slapdash mixtape of little things that give you joy. I might have a different opinion if the movie weren't part of a well established cinematic universe that provides ample background and characterization for most of the cast.

In conclusion: Loki is bae, hunks are awesome, Thor's mom is cool, and Thor 2 is way better than Suicide Squad.

Iron Man 2 is worse
This.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Iron Man 2 isn't great but I'd put it over Snooze: The Dark World

I'll support this point.

Ironman 2 at least have RDJ, Rockwell, and Rorke hamming it up. It's the worst MCU movie structurally and some terrible studio input. But they knocked it out of the park with actors.

Thor 2 on the other hand. Portman, Hemsworth, and the majority of the supporting cast has been forgettable.

jackdoe

I'll support this point.

Ironman 2 at least have RDJ, Rockwell, and Rorke hamming it up. It's the worst MCU movie structurally and some terrible studio input. But they knocked it out of the park with actors.

Thor 2 on the other hand. Portman, Hemsworth, and the majority of the supporting cast has been forgettable.
Thor 2 has Kat Dennings, which is a far greater sin than anything Iron Man 2 has committed.

vaderise

I don't like Iron Man 2 that much but I like Thor 2 even less.

Iron Man 2 has moments at least that I remember.
Briefcase suit scene
Sam Rockwell
''I want my bird.''
RDJ pissing in an armor
Sam Rockwell
''Congrats sir, you just created an element''
The scene Black Widow and Happy Hogan kick ass.
Sam Rockwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom