• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I hate videogames, but I have to say this was rather good"

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
We're not talking about gameplay mechanics - i always enjoy that. We're talking about the abuse of the Mario "Galaxy". I'm bored of that. I don't like Mario or Princess Peach or Bowser anymore. I mean, it's ok to visit it occasionally... like in the RPGs which don't take itself seriously... but I would prefer if Nintendo created a brand new type of property with the design philosophy behind Mario or a Zelda or a Metroid. New world, new storylines, no lame boring characters that have been shown in 1000 games.

So, for simple summary:

Game Design Philosophy of a Mario/Metroid/Zelda + Completely new characters/world = more fun than one or the other.

I dont see how it would be more fun, but okay.

Hey, so now we're finally onto the gooey center of it. No. Brain Training is ruining the industry. Nintendogs is ruining the industry. It's ruining the industry exactly how it matters to me as a gamer: By putting out disgusting pieces of shit products and people actually buying them thus making more disgusting pieces of shit like it possible.

The epic sci-fi? The epic fantasy? That's not ruining the industry. That's what I have always loved, and that's not suddenly going to change because things are getting more expensive. The gameplay mechanics are phenomenal. If you got a fantastic product to support it, it's gonna win. That is why Oblivion is one of the best games ever, that is why Gears of War will probably win a ****ton of awards at the end of this year. These are products that push the limits, have huge production values, and appeal to true gamers.

Those games arent ruining the industry. The games that matter to you as a high budget gamer are still coming out in full force. Nintendogs didnt cancel gears of war. Oblivion 2 is most likely in production AS WE SPEAK! I know taking a stand against non games means alot to the character you portray on the forum, but I'm sorry to tell you, the sky isn't falling! As long as nerds exist en masse there will be a market for the games you love. Right now the gaming industry is 70% nerd 20% sports and 10% children. If nintendo can shift that down to 40% nerd\manly men 20% sports 10% children and 30% normal people I will be a happy gamer. Not because i like brain training (it did nothing for me) but because the idea of EPIC SCIFI is totally uninteresting to me. Same goes for choose your own adventures in ugly town.

Our tastes are just different. But you really should stop prophesizing this BS that nintendo is killing games.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
That's awfully shortsighted of you. The true merit behind Brain Training and Nintendogs isn't that they're well-made nongames. It's that people, after seeing their success, have been coming forth with their own ideas. The fact that it's a controller that you can move in 3D space or use as a sword isn't exciting. The fact that it's been making people think about how to design games differently is. Again, Sonic Wild Fire could've easily been done on other systems. So could Super Mario Galaxy. The point is they weren't, for whatever reason, until the wiimote came into play. Hell, there's still Sonic the Hedgehog on X360 and PS3 that pretty much demonstrates the series might not've ever gotten out of its rut (if Wild Fire does end up as good as impressions at E3 led to believe).

But that's absurd. I've seen a billion and one new ideas this past generation, didn't require a damn new bit of control. That's just developer laziness - it'll be on Wii as much as the other systems.

AniHawk said:
And it's not like these epic stories and huge fantasy games are going away. This is Nintendo. They hardly make that stuff to begin with (with the exception of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and possibly Metroid). There's definitely going to be more in the future- on Wii or not. Your fears are unfounded and to be frank- quite silly.

I didn't say they're going away. I said I wish Nintendo would make more of them, instead of focusing on X, Y and Z which are generally atrocious.

I lean toward the Pikmins, Marios, Metroids and Zeldas of the Nintendo world for a reason. I like my challenges, where it actually shows what it means to be a gamer. When you get over whatever acrobatic challenge, or beat whatever boss, or solve whatever puzzle. That's what I love about gaming... overcoming shit that others simply can't. It's not about epicness going away, it's about the focus of Nintendo's system. I have found maybe 3 games on DS that satisfy my needs completely because of the way they're designed.

Filter said:
It appears that the gooey centre has more to do with window dressing than actual gameplay.

perhaps they should replace dumb old boring mario with some cool old men in power suits. or maybe some sweet new mascot with an extreme attitude.

seriously, slapping new characters onto super mario galaxy would be completely redundant. the game isn't about the characters at all. it's about jumping on things.

Of course it would be. That's not what I meant. I meant, I wish they took the design philosophy of these titles - Mario, Metroid and Zelda and make a totally new concept that shares more in common with them then pitiful virtual pets or shallow versions of pong.

sprsk

Amir0x said:
Of course it would be. That's not what I meant. I meant, I wish they took the design philosophy of these titles - Mario, Metroid and Zelda and make a totally new concept that shares more in common with them then pitiful virtual pets or shallow versions of pong.

hahaha so now pong is this deep sacred experience? get off it.

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
hahaha so now pong is this deep sacred experience? get off it.

No, that's not what I meant. Table Tennis? It took a concept that essentially could be just pong, but made it shockingly deep and varied and CHALLENGING. That is what appeals to me as a gamer.

Wii Tennis, for instance, is a huge step back in this regard being as shallow as it was. Granted, it's just an E3 demo and everything could change but that's what I'm talking about.

I didn't say they're going away. I said I wish Nintendo would make more of them, instead of focusing on X, Y and Z which are generally atrocious.

And this is where I honostly don't think you understand Nintendo that well. Nintendo doesn't MAKE these types of games, and they never have been about them in the past, sans few certain examples (3D Zelda's, Prime games, Super Metroid, etc). Your "generally atrocious" is, simply put, quite ridiculous and pretty funny. Because seriously, even if they don't make games that you can enjoy anymore (oh noes! no Mother 3, Brain games ahhhh) doesn't mean they're atrocious games.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
But that's absurd. I've seen a billion and one new ideas this past generation, didn't require a damn new bit of control. That's just developer laziness - it'll be on Wii as much as the other systems.

I challenge the notion that it will be on Wii as much as other systems. Wii will certainly see its share of lazily developed games, but as much as its competitors? Extremely doubtful.

sprsk

Amir0x said:
No, that's not what I said. Table Tennis? It took a concept that essentially could be just pong, but made it shockingly deep and varied and CHALLENGING. That is what appeals to me as a gamer.

Wii Tennis, for instance, is a huge step back in this regard being as shallow as it was. Granted, it's just an E3 demo and everything could change but that's what I'm talking.

its just fun. so what if its not deep? I can love dmc3 and still play god of war. Wii tennis still has lobs and all that the only big difference is that you arent moving the character, but you are moving your body which is apparently really ****ing fun(hey who would have thought!).

AniHawk said:
I challenge the notion that it will be on Wii as much as other systems. Wii will certainly see its share of lazily developed games, but as much as its competitors? Extremely doubtful.

Eh I have a heard time believing that. With the cheap development costs coming with the Wii, I think that lends itself to more laziness. I hope that the unique functions and the wiimote will balance that out, but we shall see. I also think that laziness is going to be slowing down on the PS#/360, simply because with a larger budget game, higher ups are going to demand something that makes the budget worth it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BrandNew said:
I still don't understand my tag, which obviously came from this thread. Ami you must EXPLAIN!

If I remember correctly, Luke called this place a cesspool or something. So then somebody said it's Mos Eisley. And then somebody said Amir0x or somebody shot first. Or something.

Check that thread. I might be merging nine things in my head.

PkunkFury

AniHawk said:

nah, Wii could end up having a lot more poorly developed games depending on how much developers are willing to understand programming for the controller. It will be more difficult than programming for a standard set-up. But I also think we'll see more crazy, out-there games on the Wii than on the other systems, for similiar reasons. I imagine the Wii will have the wideest spectrum from interesting to crap

Amir0x

Banned
BrandNew said:
And this is where I honostly don't think you understand Nintendo that well. Nintendo doesn't MAKE these types of games, and they never have been about them in the past, sans few certain examples (3D Zelda's, Prime games, Super Metroid, etc). Your "generally atrocious" is, simply put, quite ridiculous and pretty funny. Because seriously, even if they don't make games that you can enjoy anymore (oh noes! no Mother 3, Brain games ahhhh) doesn't mean they're atrocious games.

they don't make these types of games? What? Yes they do. That's just what I said, that's why I learn toward those games! Anyway, yes 'those types of games' - they're atrocious. I'm sorry you don't agree. This is all so subjective, so where can we go from there?

AniHawk said:

Nintendo's utopian development society doesn't exist. It's just PR propaganda and it'll prove itself so by the end of the gen. Where they'll just as much great games (and with innovation) on PS3 and 360 as there ever was on Wii. Wii will have its own things, no doubt. But this is just fluff used to muddy the waters and try to make it seem like things are old hat because you're not swinging a controller around with 3D CONTROL.

sp0rsk said:
its just fun. so what if its not deep? I can love dmc3 and still play god of war. Wii tennis still has lobs and all that the only big difference is that you arent moving the character, but you are moving your body which is apparently really ****ing fun(hey who would have thought!).

I wouldn't have thought, 'cause as we already established that's a huge step back to me. I don't enjoy shallowness in these types of games, and certainly I'm not going to enjoy the shallowness just because i swing my arm like a retard in the air.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
If I remember correctly, Luke called this place a cesspool or something. So then somebody said it's Mos Eisley. And then somebody said Amir0x or somebody shot first. Or something.

Check that thread. I might be merging nine things in my head.

Oh snap you're right. I first saw it in this thread and I simply thought it came from a comment from me in here. Something about me saying something sp0rsk already said. But ah well.

AniHawk

BrandNew said:
Eh I have a heard time believing that. With the cheap development costs coming with the Wii, I think that lends itself to more laziness. I hope that the unique functions and the wiimote will balance that out, but we shall see. I also think that laziness is going to be slowing down on the PS#/360, simply because with a larger budget game, higher ups are going to demand something that makes the budget worth it.

I suppose that's also true. I'm also a huge fan of platformers. :)

sprsk

Amir0x said:
I wouldn't have, 'cause as we already established that's a huge step back to me. I don't enjoy shallowness, and certainly I'm not going to enjoy the shallowness just because i swing my arm like a retard in the air.

I have nothing to say to this except for I'm sorry.

Y2Kev

BrandNew said:
Oh snap you're right. I first saw it in this thread and I simply thought it came from a comment from me in here. Something about me saying something sp0rsk already said. But ah well.

*puts notebook back in pocket*

Another GAF mystery solved.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Nintendo's utopian development society doesn't exist. It's just PR propaganda and it'll prove itself so by the end of the gen. Where they'll just as much great games (and with innovation) on PS3 and 360 as there ever was on Wii. Wii will have its own things, no doubt. But this is just fluff used to muddy the waters and try to make it seem like things are old hat because you're not swinging a controller around with 3D CONTROL.

That's not what I'm arguing. I'm not saying that swinging a sword will make the game better. I'm saying that if it opens up more ideas for better game and level design FASTER than the other guys, then it's a really good move. There's already two platformers on the thing that can prove it worthwhile, and if that prospect doesn't excite you, well...

you just may hate videogames.

Polari

I'm so sick of these so-called "hardcore gamers" who think they actually have a stake in what gaming either should or shouldn't be. Gaming isn't yours, sorry, so stop acting like it is.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
- No, Brain Training and Nintendogs are not ruining the industry. Months of repeating the same hyperbole doesn't make it any truer.

- Mario Galaxy has one of the freshest styles I've seen in a while, plumber or not.

- Nintendo are more than capable of putting out something new, and most likely they will. And like Pikmin it will probably have a level of design up their with the best of any other company.

- 'Epic' is over-rated. It often translates to overblown, cliched and derivative. Games like Shadow Of The Colossus are rare.

I really do not understand the appeal of kicking Nintendo when you have other companies supplying you with exactly what you want. I've grown up on games, from arcades, C64's and Spectrums, to PC-Engines, SNES's, Dreamcasts and PS2's, and I'd kill for something new to be honest. This generation may have had arguably the best selection of games across all the machines, but for me it was also the least satisfying. I'm tiring of the same old thing.

Whether Wii will supply that something new to get me interested again I don't know, but right now that looks more likely than the PS3 line-up.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm not saying that swinging a sword will make the game better. I'm saying that if it opens up more ideas for better game and level design FASTER than the other guys, then it's a really good move. There's already two platformers on the thing that can prove it worthwhile, and if that prospect doesn't excite you, well...

you just may hate videogames.

I'm not sure i get what you're saying here. Two platformers... what?

Uhm, but of course there are things for Wii that excite me. It's not a total wash, I just don't like the shift in focus on these shallow, short burst games or whatever. They are not for me, and they're not fun. So I prefer Nintendo's focus be on more games like the Metroids and the Zeldas and the Mario, as opposed to Wii Orchestra or Wii Sports or whatever.

That's not to say there won't be an awesome concept that springs up that I dig, though.

Polari said:
I'm so sick of these so-called "hardcore gamers" who think they actually have a stake in what gaming either should or shouldn't be. Gaming isn't yours, sorry, so stop acting like it is

Wait why should i take into account anyone else's gaming habits when forming my own opinions about what I want in gaming? I'm playing games for myself, not anyone else, so uh... sorry if that seems selfish!

Filter

Amir0x said:
i swing my arm like a retard in the air.
hey that's cool man, whatever floats your boat.

from the impressions I read, Wii tennis allows you to add top spin, do lobs, adjust speed etc. from the way you swing the Wiimote. I would hardly call that a step back from pong. the loss of controlling your characters movement simply had to be dropped so that the game was instantly accessible to anyone. it doesn't mean that depth of gameplay and strategy won't be there.
but we won't know that for sure until we play it.

Polari

Amir0x said:
Wait why should i take into account anyone else's gaming habits when forming my own opinions about what I want in gaming? I'm playing games for myself, not anyone else, so uh... sorry if that seems selfish!

I'm not saying you should take anyone else's habits into forming an opinion about what you want from gaming, just when forming a definition of what gaming is. Simply because you don't like Brain Training or Animal Crossing doesn't mean they're inherently bad or don't qualify as games, just that they aren't your thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Polari said:
I'm not saying you should take anyone else's habits into forming an opinion about what you want from gaming, just when forming a definition of what gaming is. Simply because you don't like Brain Training or Animal Crossing doesn't mean they're inherently bad or don't qualify as games, just that they aren't your thing.

Well that's nice, and I respect your viewpoint, but I feel they're inherently shitty and also something like Brain Training doesn't qualify as a game. So I mean, at the end, we'll have to agree to disagree right?

Polari

Amir0x said:

Uhm, but of course there are things for Wii that excite me. It's not a total wash, I just don't like the shift in focus on these shallow, short burst games or whatever. They are not for me, and they're not fun. So I prefer Nintendo's focus be on more games like the Metroids and the Zeldas and the Mario, as opposed to Wii Orchestra or Wii Sports or whatever.

That's not to say there won't be an awesome concept that springs up that I dig, though.

It's not as if Nintendo has cancelled Metroid or Zelda. They're just trying to appeal to a broader demographic, and really, isn't there anyone here who doesn't think that Wii Sports is going to be a huge hit?

The world isn't divided into people who were born gamers and people who weren't. Not everyone wants an epic 40-hour fantasy adventure (personally I find a game has to be pretty excellent to hold my attention for such a length of time), so why would Nintendo cater only for people that do?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Platforming is a genre almost as old and tired as RPGs are or FPSers. Yet in a genre that's been done so much in the past, with collectathons, powerups, character changes, big ol' weapons, etc, even before the system is out, two separate developers have found two new ways about designing their games, and it might not've ever happened on anything else. That's what I'm saying.

Polari

Amir0x said:
Well that's nice, and I respect your viewpoint, but I feel they're inherently shitty and also something like Brain Training doesn't qualify as a game. So I mean, at the end, we'll have to agree to disagree right?

Oh, I agree. Personally I think Brain Training is shit, but if people are getting something out of it, good for them, I'm not going to knock its existence. I've got plenty of games to play.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Platforming is a genre almost as old and tired as RPGs are or FPSers. Yet in a genre that's been done so much in the past, with collectathons, powerups, character changes, big ol' weapons, etc, even before the system is out, two separate developers have found two new ways about designing their games, and it might not've ever happened on anything else. That's what I'm saying.

do you mean Sonic and Mario? These are just applying old ideas to a new series. Ratchet did the planet thing (although not switching from planet to planet or flying through space), and lots of games did the on rails thing.

I think you mean, these are new concepts for these series... I don't doubt for a second they both would have been done eventually.

But we'll see. Super Mario Sunshine did FLUDD, which wasn't in any platformer past, and it was awesome. So who knows!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Amir0x said:
Hey, so now we're finally onto the gooey center of it. No. Brain Training is ruining the industry. Nintendogs is ruining the industry. It's ruining the industry exactly how it matters to me as a gamer: By putting out disgusting pieces of shit products and people actually buying them thus making more disgusting pieces of shit like it possible.

Oblivion said:
You know, I could also say that something like GTA would be a far greater threat to the industry than a game like Brain Training could ever be. Which one requires more resources, more effort, and more money? Which would take away resources from OTHER games more?

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I forget that you liked SMS sometimes.

Sure did. Awesome refinement of the Mario 64 formula, with just the right amount of newness, and still retaining the challenge from time to time. It was good stuff.

Oblivion: But GTA is ****ing incredible so... hey! But yeah there's always a risk of the latest trend being copied from developers... and they sure did in GTAs case. But at least the GTA formula has a chance of making something good, ala Mafia, ala GTA.

mikeGFG

Banned
I'm curious, what franchises are going push Wii to the non-gamer? Wii Sports.. and?

Why are some Nintendo fans so ravenous to play games no better than Flash or Radica games?

What is in-store for Wii after the launch window?

Y2Kev

Oblivion said:
Well, we seem to be making progress. :)

Well, it comes from both sides. Brain Training is ruining the industry, but so are unmanageable dev costs and unmanageable disk space.

As a gamer, I care about neither. Give me good games and I will play them regardless of what they are. If Nintendo were to stop making games I like or some software publishers were unable to make games I like because of cost, then I'd get concerned. Right now, I don't care and this argument is silly.

It's devolved into:
A: I want that
B: You're wrong
B: I want this
A: You're wrong

blah blah blah

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well, it comes from both sides. Brain Training is ruining the industry, but so are unmanageable dev costs and unmanageable disk space.

As a gamer, I care about neither. Give me good games and I will play them regardless of what they are. If Nintendo were to stop making games I like or some software publishers were unable to make games I like because of cost, then I'd get concerned. Right now, I don't care and this argument is silly.

It's devolved into:
A: I want that
B: You're wrong
B: I want this
A: You're wrong

blah blah blah

that's the prototype of every argument about gaming tastes :p

Y2Kev

True, but now the gaming industry's fate is tied to every preference and I think it's garbage.

But what do I know? I'm not an accountant. If things get bad, then I'll care.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
True, but now the gaming industry's fate is tied to every preference and I think it's garbage.

I'm just saying I don't like the direction it's heading. Nintendo has always been my favorite developer, but ever since DS i've never been so disappointed with their direction.

So in my mind, this latest focus HAS already done its deed and ruined a big chunk of what i loved about the industry - because Nintendo has always been on my high list of talented devs. That's the perspective I'm speaking from.

Now, it's too early to make the same judgement for all Wii software from Nintendo but I'm just commenting on how things currently stand. We still have Mario and Metroid, and we'll still have Zelda... but if it's ruined by some low class concepts around waving (just like how most of the games that force you to use touchscreen ruin the experience for me) then I'd be pretty pissed.

But again, too early to say either way.

Y2Kev

Amir0x said:
I'm just saying I don't like the direction it's heading. Nintendo has always been my favorite developer, but ever since DS i've never been so disappointed with their direction.

So in my mind, this latest focus HAS already done its deed and ruined a big chunk of what i loved about the industry - because Nintendo has always been on my high list of talented devs. That's the perspective I'm speaking from.

Now, it's too early to make the same judgement for all Wii software from Nintendo but I'm just commenting on how things currently stand. We still have Mario and Metroid, and we'll still have Zelda... but if it's ruined by some low class concepts around waving (just like how most of the games that force you to use touchscreen ruin the experience for me) then I'd be pretty pissed.

I understand what you are saying and I sympathize. While I would love to hate on Nintendo, creator of the Evil Animal Crossing, I look at their upcoming release list and it just doesn't jive with my irrational dislike of them. They are putting out a ton of games. Games games, not "electronic toys."

I want them to create the same things you want and experiment, etc., but right now I guess they are. I dunno.

At least Mario isn't in Wii tennis. It's a step forward.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I understand what you are saying and I sympathize. While I would love to hate on Nintendo, creator of the Evil Animal Crossing, I look at their upcoming release list and it just doesn't jive with my irrational dislike of them. They are putting out a ton of games. Games games, not "electronic toys."

well all i can say is i hope i can say by the end of DS and Wii life that it was all good and it came out for the best at the end. A lot can change. Just atm, it's all very "meh."

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amir0x said:

Nintendo is in better shape now than N64-era Nintendo in my opinion.

And I think the desire to make Wii succeed, and give it it's own identity, will lead to all sorts of interesting stuff actually. Just as the desire to make Dreamcast succeed and stand out from the competition led to arguably Sega's most creative period ever.

Amir0x

Banned
Nash said:
Nintendo is in better shape now than N64-era Nintendo in my opinion.

It always eventually falls back to whether you care that they're successful, or whether you care if they're making games you like anymore.

Obviously, you and me both know that this path will lead to them being more successful. That's a bright outlook for them as a business. But for me, as a gamer, this latest focus is the worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo. Almost everything they make now has suffered from something severe, because of the touchscreen gimmickry or the low execution concepts with shallow and short burst gameplay. For me, anyway, from my perspective (as a gamer) things have never been worse.

It's worth noting that I hated N64... but I loved Gamecube. It was a huge improvement to me. It had everything I wanted from Nintendo, putting aside the nasty Animal Crossing, and almost all series improved because of this. But naturally, as we discussed, that didn't help them as a business.

So I can understand why they'd change. But for me, it doesn't do anything. It's all quite disconcerting and disappointing. For you, as expressed by your comments, you appreciate their latest direction. I do not.

Nash said:
And I think the desire to make Wii succeed, and give it it's own identity, will lead to all sorts of interesting stuff actually. Just as the desire to make Dreamcast succeed and stand out from the competition led to arguably Sega's most creative period ever.

Well that's fine, I respect that they're trying, it's just an identity I don't care for at the moment. I'm getting a Wii at launch because of Mario, Zelda and Metroid... but if these core franchises didn't exist, neither would Nintendo for me in my eyes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
Well that's fine, I respect that they're trying, it's just an identity I don't care for at the moment. I'm getting a Wii at launch because of Mario, Zelda and Metroid... but if these core franchises didn't exist, neither would Nintendo for me in my eyes.

that's not an opinion dude, that's a fact

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
that's not an opinion dude, that's a fact

no, i don't mean financially or as a business. I mean as a company who makes games, i probably wouldn't even bother to follow Nintendo's titles anymore if these three series didn't exist (because we'll never get another Mother game now, and if F-Zero WiiX isn't made by amusement vision I'd probably not care... especially if I have to waggle). Although I'd probably add Pikmin 3 to that mix.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
no, i don't mean financially or as a business. I mean as a company who makes games, i probably wouldn't even bother to follow Nintendo's titles anymore if these three series didn't exist (because we'll never get another Mother game now, and if F-Zero WiiX isn't made by amusement vision I'd probably not care... especially if I have to waggle). Although I'd probably add Pikmin 3 to that mix.

And there's always Intelligent Systems too. Those awesome little guys.

Top Bottom