• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I hate videogames, but I have to say this was rather good"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
no, i don't mean financially or as a business. I mean as a company who makes games, i probably wouldn't even bother to follow Nintendo's titles anymore if these three series didn't exist (because we'll never get another Mother game now, and if F-Zero WiiX isn't made by amusement vision I'd probably not care... especially if I have to waggle). Although I'd probably add Pikmin 3 to that mix.

no, i completely agree with you. fortunately (for them and us, i would think) those franchises are solid gold. they do them so well that they carry a multibillion dollar company.

yeah, agreed, toss in pikmin as well. it's brilliant. i might also add advance wars and the paper mario / mario & luigi games, but that's up to you.

whatever the case, as things stand, they're pretty rockin'.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
And there's always Intelligent Systems too. Those awesome little guys.

well i kind of automatically add the paper mario games under the banner of 'mario'. That's a given! Fire Emblem too, that was the best aspect of Nintendo's conference... confirmation that the series is coming to Wii.

Ok, so it's like 5 franchises! Call it the "Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Pikmin" system.

JavyOO7

Everyone can laugh at this post, but here's a quick 'speculation' or whatever post from me. I hope the Wii suceeds just because I think it'll drive us closer to VR games to be mainstream and affordable. Yeah.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
well i kind of automatically add the paper mario games under the banner of 'mario'. That's a given! Fire Emblem too, that was the best aspect of Nintendo's conference... confirmation that the series is coming to Wii.

Ok, so it's like 5 franchises! Call it the "Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Pikmin" system.

5 rock solid franchises is nothing to sneeze at!

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
5 rock solid franchises is nothing to sneeze at!

No, I suppose not! I just need more from my systems that i invest in for an entire generation. At least it's cheap.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

And Smash Bros. <3

Amir0x said:
No, I suppose not! I just need more from my systems that i invest in for an entire generation. At least it's cheap.

VC <3

Amir0x

Banned
No, that's not a Nintendo franchise. Sonic Wild Fire is just on rails running. That's not really how I care for Sonic, even though anything is an improvement over Sonic Adventure/Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3).

Virtual Console is something I won't pay a dime for since I own the games I want from these gens. I won't pay premiums for stuff I can find for 99 cents and with packaging. Earthbound only, and then maybe Tetris Attack if it has online play.

Smash Bros... heh. Well, let's just say that's nothing I anticipate a system over.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:

yeah, i know what you mean. i hope there are a couple of new nintendo-exclusive ip's to come out of this generation, but even if i just get the 10 or so great first party games, it's fine. what else am i gonna do with my money?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Amir0x said:
I wouldn't have thought, 'cause as we already established that's a huge step back to me. I don't enjoy shallowness in these types of games, and certainly I'm not going to enjoy the shallowness just because i swing my arm like a retard in the air.

If you can't swing your arm in the motion of a tennis racket without moving like a retard, then it's probably best that you spend most of your day locked inside a room in front of a tv or computer.

Sometimes I wonder whether the posters on this board have any coordination at all...

Amir0x

Banned
Trident said:
If you can't swing your arm in the motion of a tennis racket without moving like a retard, then it's probably best that you spend most of your day locked inside a room in front of a tv or computer.

Sometimes I wonder whether the posters on this board have any coordination at all...

I've watched plenty of people play it. Not a single one has not looked like a retard - and it had nothing to do with coordination, since one of them was MIYAMOTO.

But it's just divergent viewpoints.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
I've watched plenty of people play it. Not a single one has not looked like a retard - and it had nothing to do with coordination, since one of them was MIYAMOTO.

are you really that concerned with your image, man?

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
are you really that concerned with your image, man?

Man, as I said, I'm already a geek. I don't need any more geek points added to the jar. Now, it's worse for me because I have to actually play games around roommates... but yes, it's horribly embarrassing. It's not even close to what I want to do with games.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Amir0x said:

You're like the guy who spends all night at school dances leaning against a wall because "guys look stupid when they dance." It tends to be the one leaning against the wall that actually looks stupid.

Amir0x

Banned
Trident said:
You're like the guy who spends all night at school dances leaning against a wall because "guys look stupid when they dance." It tends to be the one leaning against the wall that actually looks stupid.

Hahah, ironic since that was the exact opposite of how i spent my school years.

Basically as a big druggie!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
Man, as I said, I'm already a geek. I don't need any more geek points added to the jar. Now, it's worse for me because I have to actually play games around roommates... but yes, it's horribly embarrassing. It's not even close to what I want to do with games.

fair enough. but i think many of the games will be more subtle than wii sports, as far as the movements required.

Trident said:

i think the personal attacks are a bit unnecessary.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
fair enough. but i think many of the games will be more subtle than wii sports, as far as the movements required.

Well, I'm sure. But for instance, EGM said in Zelda you actually have to make those silly motions. EGM said you'll "look damn silly, but love every moment of it." I can respect their opinion that it may be fun for people, but why should I have to look silly when playing games? It's just not something I desire, ya know. I love Zelda, and never once desired that sort of change in control or added silliness. So it's a put off from my perspective (which is why I'm buying the GCN version!)

beelzebozo said:
i think the personal attacks are a bit unnecessary.

oh i don't consider it a personal attack, it's cool.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Amir0x said:
Hahah, ironic since that was the exact opposite of how i spent my school years.

Basically as a big druggie!

Haha, fair enough. My point was that it's easy to claim that people who let their guard down and have fun look stupid. But being cool doesn't mean you spend all day leaning against a motorcycle smoking a cigarette like James Dean. Swinging your arms around occurs in a lot of sports and physical activities... you only look like a retard if you're an uncoordinated mess. If you aren't, then I don't know what you're worried about.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean it as a personal attack. I just have trouble not talking like an asshole online. Sorry for all past and future examples of that behavior.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amir0x said:
Well that's fine, I respect that they're trying, it's just an identity I don't care for at the moment. I'm getting a Wii at launch because of Mario, Zelda and Metroid... but if these core franchises didn't exist, neither would Nintendo for me in my eyes.

And I got a Dreamcast for VF3tb.

At the time I didn't think I'd be seeing things like Jet Set Radio, Samba, Rez, Space Channel 5, Skies Of Arcadia, Chu Chu Rocket or Phantasy Star Online. They came out of nowhere, and they all came from a drive to make the platform succeed and stand out from the competition. And the Dreamcast was all the better for it.

I just get the feeling that this will happen with Wii as well. That down the road we will be seeing a lot of unexpected stuff come out of Nintendo, and that there will be more Pikmin quality franchises created on Wii than we saw on GC.

A sense of experimentation was the main thing the GC lacked. It was essentially the N64 Remix Project. I hated the N64 too, so this was not a bad thing, they fixed a lot of what they got wrong before. But the familiarity and lack of experimentation still meant something was lacking. With Wii i think there's a chance they might get the balance right.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:
Well, I'm sure. But for instance, EGM said in Zelda you actually have to make those silly motions. EGM said you'll "look damn silly, but love every moment of it." I can respect their opinion that it may be fun for people, but why should I have to look silly when playing games? It's just not something I desire, ya know. I love Zelda, and never once desired that sort of change in control or added silliness. So it's a put off from my perspective (which is why I'm buying the GCN version!)

i wonder if the awkwardness came from people standing up at kiosks trying to play this game that hinges on a form of control none of them are familiar with, and that requires a relatively steady hand (at least more so than standing at a kiosk can provide)?

have you ever walked up to the demos in wal-mart and stared at that horrific angle at the televisions dangling above your head? it's awkward as hell. granted, i don't think these two situations are exact parallels, but the notion that one's environment can lend an awkward and "silly" appearance to any act is a possibility.

Johnas

Amir0x said:
I love Zelda, and never once desired that sort of change in control or added silliness. So it's a put off from my perspective (which is why I'm buying the GCN version!)

You know what's great? I realized today this game is roughly three months away (maybe four). For so long it's just been floating out there in the void, but it's now only 100 or so days away!

Oh yeah, GCN version ftw.

Amir0x

Banned
Trident said:
Haha, fair enough. My point was that it's easy to claim that people who let their guard down and have fun look stupid. But being cool doesn't mean you spend all day leaning against a motorcycle smoking a cigarette like James Dean. Swinging your arms around occurs in a lot of sports and physical activities... you only look like a retard if you're an uncoordinated mess. If you aren't, then I don't know what you're worried about.

Yeah. For me, it's like... unlike those sports, wii seems like playing pretend. Like you don't really have those tools, wii acts as an 'extension' for the tools that don't really exist. So while with a traditional controller it's easier to accept this sort of 'remote control' interaction with the world, it's harder to swallow when you have to make these motions and do this and that. It seems very awkward to me.

That can be seen as immaturity or whatever, and I can understand that, but it's just lacking the appeal it seems to have on other people.

Nash said:
A sense of experimentation was the main thing the GC lacked. It was essentially the N64 Remix Project. I hated the N64 too, so this was not a bad thing, they fixed a lot of what they got wrong before. But the familiarity and lack of experimentation still meant something was lacking. With Wii i think there's a chance they might get the balance right.

Well, I can see your point. All I can add is that Gamecube wasn't a disappointment to me from any angle, except that it wasn't a success so we didn't continue to get vibrant support for the entire systems life. It had everything I wanted so I was pleased. 199 well spent imo.

Ancestor said:
You know what's great? I realized today this game is roughly three months away (maybe four). For so long it's just been floating out there in the void, but it's now only 100 or so days away!

Oh yeah, GCN version ftw.

Yes! I cannot believe it's so close.

And definitely, GCN version ftw:

ZeldaScan.jpg

(just so you see i put my money where my mouth is)

Polari

Amir0x said:

I do get what you're saying but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal. You know what game my non-gaming friends enjoy the most? Listen to the Doctor in WarioWare, and playing games just doesn't get much goofier than that (except perhaps for Dance Dance Revolution, which happens to also be a hit with the casual crowd). Most people are secure enough in themselves that they don't mind a little silliness in the right context. It's a little light relief from the constant posing of modern life.

Andonuts

drohne said:
something like wii tennis or brain training appeals to people who hate videogames by divesting itself of practically everything that makes a videogame a videogame. in rather the way that fat bestsellers sell precisely because they have no literary merit, and much popular music sells because it's inoffensive background noise.

You've got it backwards. 90% of games right now are divested of practically everything that makes a videogame a videogame. Mainstream popular titles usually just aim to be film-like experiences with occasional interactivity, and generally don't explore the potential of the medium in anything but the most shallow of ways. Exceptions tend to be games like the Sims or Animal Crossing, games which are both exceptionally videogamey and appeal to a broad, "non-gamer" audience.

The wii and the DS present opportunities for developers to focus on the raw foundation of what makes videogames what they are -- interaction. Though there are the Brain Trainings and Wii Sports, there have also been the Trauma Centers and Pheonix Wrights, and even the Kirby: Canvas Curses. These are all games which revel in their videogameyness in ways that games for previous consoles couldn't imagine. Yes, there will be gimmicky games, but a gimmick does not preclude depth of gameplay. I tend to think of a game's "gimmick" in the same way as the hook of a pop song -- it exists to attract someone to listening to the song to begin with.

edit: I seem to have received a non-flattering custom title. I never thought I'd get in trouble for NOT trolling someone. Ah, well.

Top Bottom