• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope Nintendo doesn't use USB ports for Revolution

pgtl_10

Isn't there something better than USB? Something faster since I would like an external harddrive to play some MMORPGs.

dkeane

I wish firewire was more widely used. My Lacie firewire 800 hard drives are so fricken fast.
I'm sure they'll be using some form of usb though.

Cheebs

AniHawk said:
Don't worry. The Revolution won't be getting MMORPGS.
Yeah. I highly expect REV wi-fi will be just like DS. No servers, and very simple. Connect to a friend or a stranger with no searching or anything like that. Probably 4 players again as well. But with stuff like SSB 3 I wouldn't want more than 4 anyway.

pgtl_10

Cheebs said:
Yeah. I highly expect REV wi-fi will be just like DS. No servers, and very simple. Connect to a friend or a stranger with no searching or anything like that. Probably 4 players again as well. But with stuff like SSB 3 I wouldn't want more than 4 anyway.

According to new patents I figure that Revolution will have a more sophisticated service.

Cheebs

pgtl_10 said:
According to new patents I figure that Revolution will have a more sophisticated service.
Never take patents from Nintendo as facts for their next/current system.

Ever.

Danj

studio810 said:
I wish firewire was more widely used. My Lacie firewire 800 hard drives are so fricken fast.
I'm sure they'll be using some form of usb though.

pgtl_10 said:
Isn't firewire faster? Also if USB 2.0 is enought then i'll go for it.

Firewire 800 is faster than USB 2.0, but regular Firewire 400 is about the same. Also, Firewire seems to be generally being phased out everywhere - some of the newer Macs don't have it or only have the 400 variant, and Apple stopped bundling Firewire cables with iPods. Also I'm willing to bet that way way way more people have USB 2.0 ports and devices than have Firewire devices, so I think it's a good enough choice.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Who the hell makes a USB device today that doesn't support USB 2.0? If you're still buying USB 1.1 devices you fail.

Firewire generally is faster however it's not widely supported and that support seems to be shrinking...

Kato

pgtl_10 said:
Isn't firewire faster? Also if USB 2.0 is enought then i'll go for it.

USB 1.0 1,5 Mb/s
USB 1.0 hs 12 Mb/s
USB 2.0 480 Mb/s

FireWire 400 400 Mb/sec
FireWire 800 800 Mb/sec
FireWire NG 1,6-3,2 Gb/sec

Zaptruder

Banned
Firewire and USB fought, and USB won.

Basically, USB was the initial standard, and they brought out firewire as the highspeed standard... but it never really caught on in a big big way, because it didn't come standard with PCs... then they released USB 2.0, and that pretty much killed Firewire.

One type of port for all devices would be ideal, but the system we'll be transisting to won't be too bad; 1 for audio/visual and USB for everything else.

The only problem with USB is the physical design of the port itself. Like s-video, it's kinda easy to get the cable upside down, where you end up trying to jam it in.

maxmars

DarienA said:
Who the hell makes a USB device today that doesn't support USB 2.0? If you're still buying USB 1.1 devices you fail.

The Nintendo WiFi USB Connector is indeed USB 1.1. :lol

Cheebs

maxmars said:
Is there a secret treaty about this?
No it's just the idea of a MMO on Nintendo's wi-fi connection which has no servers and is purely peer-to-peeer is just plain absurd.

Bojangles

USB has the WORST designed ports ever.

Who designs a port where you don't know which way to plug in a device without trying it?

Idiots.

DarienA

Bojangles said:

Who designs a port where you don't know which way to plug in a device without trying it?

Idiots.

That's why most usb plugs now have an indicator on them... somebody didn't exactly plan this well...

pgtl_10

Cheebs said:
Never take patents from Nintendo as facts for their next/current system.

Ever.

Keep in mind Gamespy has a deal with Nintendo. A DS is a portable device not a console which could explain why Nintendo opted for a less sophisticated service.

Cheebs said:
No it's just the idea of a MMO on Nintendo's wi-fi connection which has no servers and is purely peer-to-peeer is just plain absurd.

Plus that kind of ruins the whole "Don't worry, if anyone's a freak you won't notice" system of online play which I love so much.

I don't talk to the person, I don't know the person, I don't do anything with the person. I race him and never see him again. Perfect.

maxmars

Cheebs said:

Hmm I don't think that there is a physical limitation in that sense. The DS, for example, has a TCP stack, complete with dns support, and that alone would let a game access a server.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
Don't worry. The Revolution won't be getting MMORPGS.

.....In jesus' name, Amen.

I don't talk to the person, I don't know the person, I don't do anything with the person. I race him and never see him again. Perfect.

That's not perfect. What if you would like to see him again?

Like there's any fucking chance in hell that Nintendo would ever use an open standard of any kind. You'll buy their fucking hard drive and you'll fucking like it.

Flo_Evans

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Like there's any fucking chance in hell that Nintendo would ever use an open standard of any kind. You'll buy their fucking hard drive and you'll fucking like it.

I thought they where planning on supporting CF flash memory cards for the rev?

SuomiDude

Bojangles said:

Idiots.

You do have eyes, right? At least the girl in your icon has them, even doubles...

At least I can check inside the USB port and see which way to plug the device in.

Xrenity

Bojangles said:

Idiots.
Hehe true. I always put them in with the wrong side.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Firewire is better because it has its own bus controller and the USB 2.0 interface is controlled by the CPU, when the CPU has a lot of task the Speed of the USB 2.0 goes down dramatically.

maxmars

beermonkey@tehbias said:
There's a huge difference between supporting open media cards and open hard drives. The latter is a hacker's wet dream.

Aren't they both mass storage devices?

Flo_Evans

beermonkey@tehbias said:
There's a huge difference between supporting open media cards and open hard drives. The latter is a hacker's wet dream.

True, but I doubt they will have a HD for it anyway (and if they do it will be JPN onry like the 64HDD).

And firewire will never die! Almost every digital video camcorder is firewire.

I remember reading that it may have USB ages ago...

and there's nothing stopping Rev games from being server-based rather than match up (as all the 4 player DS games seem to be)

krzy123

Master of the Melee said:
If memory serves the DS is only capable of 11 megabit transfer over its wireless capabilities. USB 1.0 is 12 megabit.

I'm told the Rev is similarly equiped.

Not to mention that your internet connection would be the main bottleneck (in most cases)

DarienA

If memory serves the DS is only capable of 11 megabit transfer over its wireless capabilities. USB 1.0 is 12 megabit.

Thanks for the info, did not know that... and knowing it.. I'm still wondering why...

krzy123 said:
Not to mention that your internet connection would be the main bottleneck (in most cases)

Maybe yours... but not mine. ;)

maxmars

Actually, I have read in some ds dev forum, the max speed is much less than that (like 2 mbit/s) in order to lower power requirements.

Cheebs

Deadly Monk said:
No Pokemon MMO?

I know I want it to happen. Maybe it will be closer to PSO. Not too many people on one server.
Not many on one server? Very likely there will be NO servers at all from Nintendo.

Expecting more than peer-to-peer fighting in a Pokemon game online is just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

maxmars said:
Actually, I have read in some ds dev forum, the max speed is much less than that (like 2 mbit/s) in order to lower power requirements.

Are you sure you're not reading about local wireless there? Either way its probably a software limitation, as you say, to save power..

I wouldn't have thought any of this is relevant anyway. Mass storage devices are usually desired for MMOs so you can load, cache, stream large level areas, download new campaigns and store tonnes of variable character data and so forth. And the connection would probably suffice as long as there was a dedicated server mediating between players.

Cheebs said:
Not many on one server? Very likely there will be NO servers at all from Nintendo.

Expecting more than peer-to-peer fighting in a Pokemon game online is just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I think thats certainly a fair warning. Nintendo don't want to charge for first party online games... until that changes I can't see them running and maintaining an MMO. There's nothing stopping SEGA with playSEGA or Square with PlayOnline for example though..

Cheebs

radioheadrule83 said:
There's nothing stopping SEGA with playSEGA or Square with PlayOnline for example though..
Yeah. A PSO from Sega wouldn't suprise me. Nintendo though? Not a chance.

7Th

Cheebs said:

Maybe a mission based system similar to Guild Wars or PSO. That's already expected for Crystal Chronicles at least.

Top Bottom