• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope Nintendo doesn't use USB ports for Revolution

maxmars said:
Actually, I have read in some ds dev forum, the max speed is much less than that (like 2 mbit/s) in order to lower power requirements.

*shacks head* Its for hosting purposes.

Lets say you, DarienA, and me go on our Friday night visit to Jesus's house. Since Jesus is Jesus he has a DS with Mario Kart DS for everybody.

Then we pick a host (I volunteer). I have 11 megabits to use. So all of you will use about 3 to 4 of it. In 8 player action (which is normal for many DS games) it'd go down to less than 2.

That's why you'll never see more than 32 people on one DS game, if ever, and it'll probably be turn based.

7Th

Master of the Melee said:
That's why you'll never see more than 32 people on one DS game, if ever, and it'll probably be turn based.

Massive Advance Wars DS 2 online battles for the win!

The games would be insanely long though.

7Th said:
Massive Advance Wars DS 2 online battles for the win!

The games would be insanely long though.

Actually I had the idea that you would have two to four seperate battles happening at once, but instead of AW:DS's battles you would have far more influence over other battles. The battles would take place independantly from eachother. You would say something like "deposit funds to this player" and at the end of the following turn in that player's battle the funds would be recieved.

But yeah it would still take a while.

Buggy Loop

Cheebs said:
No it's just the idea of a MMO on Nintendo's wi-fi connection which has no servers and is purely peer-to-peeer is just plain absurd.

Hmm, wifi has not much to do with it, i play FFXI on ps2 via wifi without any problems and as for no servers and peer to peer, well just look at xbox live cause thats exactly what they're doing :p Just wrapped around with a nice interface.

A MMO dev on revolution would of course have its dedicated servers and have a monthly fee, much like x360's FFXI.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Cheebs said:
Yeah. I highly expect REV wi-fi will be just like DS. No servers, and very simple. Connect to a friend or a stranger with no searching or anything like that. Probably 4 players again as well. But with stuff like SSB 3 I wouldn't want more than 4 anyway.

If this ends up being the case then that sucks.

Cheebs said:
Yeah. I highly expect REV wi-fi will be just like DS. No servers, and very simple. Connect to a friend or a stranger with no searching or anything like that. Probably 4 players again as well. But with stuff like SSB 3 I wouldn't want more than 4 anyway.
I'd expect it to vary a lot by game. Not that I think an external hard drive for MMORPGs is likely at all.

_bla_

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'd expect it to vary a lot by game. Not that I think an external hard drive for MMORPGs is likely at all.
You don't neccessary need a hdd for MMORPGs. You just need to take patching into account when you are developing your game. Most of the game data won't be changed over the lifetime of the game, stuff like music, sound effects, textures and character geometry is rarely changed. The mayority of the game data is never patched. ( If you think otherwise, let me ask you the question: if you do a fresh FFXI install, why is the patch you need to download a few hundreds mb big, and not something like 8gb?)
You can just read the unchanged data from the DVD and patch the few changed files on the fly with patch data from the SD card.

1 GB SD cards are cheap, 2 GB SD cards are affordable, by the time a MMORPG could hit the Revolution SD cards will be even bigger and cheaper. Requiring a 2 GB or bigger SD card to play the game wouldn't be a real problem then. And 8.5 GB of space on the DVD + 2 GB of writeable space on a SD card wouldn't restrict game designers that much. 2 GB of patch data is enough for many changes to the game world.

Reggie said he'd like to see MMO games explored more on Revolution. Pokemon will obviously have online play, and it's not a stretch for it to become an MMO. I hope we either see Pokemon, Zelda (with the amazing TP art direction) or a Kingdom Hearts-esque Nintendo MMO on the Revolution.

Ulairi

Banned
Cheebs said:
No it's just the idea of a MMO on Nintendo's wi-fi connection which has no servers and is purely peer-to-peeer is just plain absurd.

I'd hate to break this to you, but you're a moron. MMOG on Xbox Live will be using their own server articheture and will have nothing to do with the Xbox Live setup.

Please try again.

Raistlin

BTW - I would not expect Firewire to completely disaappear ... at least not for a while.

While consumer product support is shrinking, there is still plenty of pro equipment keeping it as a viable protocol. Most digital recording, I/O, etc. equipment uses firewire. Plus, there is plenty of legacy equipment (all sorts, even military) that use it.

The fact that it can offer encryption, etc. also makes it useful for A/V (HDMI will kill this eventually though - at least once DVD-A and SACD support is standard).

Nintendo was using 8MB cartridges when other devs were using 650MB CDs ... I think they could manage to make an online PRG without requiring a massive amount of storage space.

Ulairi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Nintendo was using 8MB cartridges when other devs were using 650MB CDs ... I think they could manage to make an online PRG without requiring a massive amount of storage space.

Uh...Nintendo would not host the MMOG for third parties. It would be in control of the studio producing the MMOG.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Phantasy Star Online, but perhaps something a bit more in depth than that ... a 1 GB flash card is a huge storage upgrade over what the GCN had.

ChrisReid

If memory serves the DS is only capable of 11 megabit transfer over its wireless capabilities. USB 1.0 is 12 megabit.

I'm told the Rev is similarly equiped.

Regardless of whether the DS can do 802.11b/g 11/54 megabits, no multiplayer games need anywhere close to it. The limiting factor is everyone's 128/256/384 kilobit upload and general latency/packet loss. The DS will be long long gone before anyone uses half the USB Nintendo Wifi adapter's capacity.

Ulairi

Banned
Actually I had the idea that you would have two to four seperate battles happening at once, but instead of AW:DS's battles you would have far more influence over other battles. The battles would take place independantly from eachother. You would say something like "deposit funds to this player" and at the end of the following turn in that player's battle the funds would be recieved.

But yeah it would still take a while.

Have you ever worked on an online game?

Yusaku

Danj said:
Firewire 800 is faster than USB 2.0, but regular Firewire 400 is about the same. Also, Firewire seems to be generally being phased out everywhere - some of the newer Macs don't have it or only have the 400 variant, and Apple stopped bundling Firewire cables with iPods. Also I'm willing to bet that way way way more people have USB 2.0 ports and devices than have Firewire devices, so I think it's a good enough choice.

Apple phasing out Fireware was merely a rumor. A highly unlikey one, what with their emphasis on digital video.

Stink said:
Firewire has DMA, it is generally faster in the real world.

True. Firewire 400 > USB 2.0 in the real world.

Top Bottom