• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope Starfield's reception marks the end of all huge empty open worlds in gaming.

GymWolf

Gaf is also against way smaller open world filled to the brim with stuff to do and full of enemies on the map like horizon, it seems like gaffers have no idea of what they want from open world games really, or they just look who the developers are before speaking up...

They hate copy paste stuff but somE Recent titles got a pass for that...

Devs can't win here.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Them deciding to not have alien colonies to locate, explore, learn about, trade and communicate with was a collosal mistake.

Talking to only humans whos only visual difference is the color and design of there space suit is gonna get old fast in a single game not to mention what Bethesda hopes to be a successfull franchise wirh multiple entries.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Them deciding to not have alien colonies to locate, explore, learn about, trade and communicate with was a collosal mistake.

Talking to only humans whos only visual difference is the color and design of there space suit is gonna get old fast in a single game not to mention what Bethesda hopes to be a successfull franchise wirh multiple entries.
ok...

They said this years beforehand.

There are no aliens in this game. At least not in the NPC sense.
Nothing wrong with that.

CGNoire

They said this years beforehand.

There are no aliens in this game. At least not in the NPC sense.
Nothing wrong with that.
Yes they did and its still a poor decision.

Nothing moraly wrong of course but there still consequences. I bet money this series will be nowhere near as popular longterm as Fallout/ElderScrolls where cause of this decision unless of course the sequel changes course.

I still think a massive RPG should have more variety than this has shown potential for and should promote highly motivated exploration beyond seeing cool colored planetary sunset #765539 or collecting resources for mostly cosmetic reasons. Idk its probably funner than that but still its potential seems squandered here.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes they did and its still a poor decision.

Nothing moraly wrong of course but there still consequences. I bet money this series will be nowhere near as popular longterm as Fallout/ElderScrolls where cause of this decision unless of course the sequel changes course.

I still think a massive RPG should have more variety than this has shown potential for and should promote highly motivated exploration beyond seeing cool colored planetary sunset #765539 or collecting resources for mostly cosmetic reasons. Idk its probably funner than that but still its potential seems squandered here.

Holy shit my guy there is so much content in the game, who gives a shit if you see a random generated sidequest again. That shit happens in Skyrim too.

Sounds like you haven't even played it.

CGNoire

Holy shit my guy there is so much content in the game, who gives a shit if you see a random generated sidequest again. That shit happens in Skyrim too.

Sounds like you haven't even played it.
Quanity of content doesnt interest me. The quality of content does and I dont believe a space game that takes place across multiple star systems will ever reach its potential without alien colonies to explore, learn about and trade with. JMO

I havent played it but Bethesda has shown what they thought would be enticing and it failed to excite me. Infact my hype has been plummeting ever since.

Im just stating my predictions. Im super sad at some of the decisions made here is all. I will of course get it either way since Im a huge Bethesda RPG fanboy but Im still not exspecting much unfortunatly.

cripterion

What Starfield desperately needs are vehicles. Buggys, hoverbikes, mechs, boats, submersibles, you name it. Anything to cover large distances quickly, which would make exploration more fun and make the planets feel less empty. I don’t understand why they left this out of the game. Imagine if RDR2 or Witcher 3 didn’t have horses. Just bizarre.

LOL. You can't explore the planets like Bethesda implied, it creates a cell and if you wanna reload a new one you have to get back to your ship and go to the planet again. Vehicules wouldn't work the way the game was designed. It's just fake exploration, freedom to go anywhere with constraints.

MMaRsu

Banned
LOL. You can't explore the planets like Bethesda implied, it creates a cell and if you wanna reload a new one you have to get back to your ship and go to the planet again. Vehicules wouldn't work the way the game was designed. It's just fake exploration, freedom to go anywhere with constraints.
Where was it 'implied' everything would be seamless?

There is no 'fake' exploration. The map it generates is twice the size of a Skyrim map.

Any expectations of seamless planet exploring are made up by you in your own head.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You're missing the point. Stating that you shouldn't have a user opinion on the game because the media outlet review said it's good is kinda dumb . If it was the case they wouldn't bother to make a user review section. And most of the time in retrospective I find myself leaning more on the user review score than the media one.
I never once said that someone shouldn't have a user opinion. Didn't even imply it.

What I'm saying is that for Metacritic the user score is worthless because people don't have to be a user to submit a user score. Metacritic user reviews for popular games are always just another playground to fight on in the console war. It's why Metacritic in general is unreliable. Steam user reviews are better because they reveal how long someone has played the game and you can more easily dismiss those that are clearly review bombing.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Agree totally with this, or even alien races to fight with, there are aliens in The Fallout games, why not in a BGS space game, unless its a future dlc,

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think Starfield is unfortunately going to be one of those overhyped games that's going to have a particularly hard hitting Post-Honeymoon period for a lot of folks. It looks like plenty of fun, I'm looking forward to playing it, but I have my expectations set according. It just seems like it's a fine Space RPG. For me that's good enough. But this game was clearly marketed and hyped up as a game changer. A once in a generation type of Open World RPG. I don't think that'll be the case. The amount of loading screens, the way you transition from planet to planet, the ugly drab look of the environment and NPCs, the outdated RPG mechanics, the outdated game engine, the braindead AI, etc.

There's some potential for incredible mods to be born from this. Fallout 4 had some great mods that vastly improved the game. But as it stands right now, the base game from what I've been watching a lot of, doesn't seem like a serious system seller.
B...B...But, it's already a serious system seller. It's selling consoles and Gamepass subs. What do you mean, exactly?

MadPanda

Banned
If this planet emptiness have some grounds in the story than ok, if it is just a "realistically fitting content filler"... why even bother... Would anybody play Tomb Raider or watch Indiana Jones if it would feature realistic presentation of true archeological work? C'mon...
Being able to travel from planet to planet, find cities, colonies, creatures to fight etc is already unrealistic.

bigdad2007

The issue with every open world sandbox space game is they limit the game to rocky moons and worlds for the sake of “realism”. When in reality it means making the game easier to design.

If you could explore the chromosphere of stars, the outer shells of gas giants, super nova remnants, get close to black holes, worm holes, etc. all this would provide way more gameplay and visual variety.

cripterion

Where was it 'implied' everything would be seamless?

There is no 'fake' exploration. The map it generates is twice the size of a Skyrim map.

Any expectations of seamless planet exploring are made up by you in your own head.

Man... I see you bringing this over and over again, I get it you love Starfield. One would think if you enjoy it so much you wouldn't be on forums but instead playing it lol.
Besides my reply was to the poster who wanted vehicules to explore, fact is you can't explore a planet that way... and you know damn well Bethesda pretended you could. It's not the first time they've been caught lying about their games.

384.jpeg

It's fake exploration to me. Better?

CGNoire

The issue with every open world sandbox space game is they limit the game to rocky moons and worlds for the sake of “realism”. When in reality it means making the game easier to design.

If you could explore the chromosphere of stars, the outer shells of gas giants, super nova remnants, get close to black holes, worm holes, etc. all this would provide way more gameplay and visual variety.
So much this.

hemo memo

Gold Member
At least Bethesda actually RELEASED the game in a timely manner with an AAA average budget and so far they only asking for the full game price. They could’ve used the hype to follow that scam space game and sink millions and millions into this relaying on the hype and never actually release the game.

For that I admire Bethesda on this one. Imagine Bethesda making you keep paying real money for imaginary insurance for your imaginary ship…

Danknugz

I think we're forgetting here that real space is... empty?

You know No Man's Sky already exists and is filled to the brim with horrendous looking creatures and plants on nearly every planet. I would beg for dead and barren worlds while playing that game.

People praise Red Dead 2 and I play a lot of it myself. But other than shooting wild animals, what is there really to do inbetween towns around most of the map? Pretty much nothing, it's pretty barren content wise.

It's not always a bad thing.
Anyone else find irony in the name of this person?

Humdinger

To those who say the thousand empty planets is because Bethesda was aiming for realism, I'd say two things.

First, it's important not to get caught in binary thinking. People in the thread talk as if the choice is between 1) a thousand procedurally generated planets, devoid of anything interesting; and 2) six hand-crafted planets, all teeming with life. But it's not an either/or thing. You can have a middle ground with some procedurally generated planets (the "realism" of dull planets with nothing much to do), mixed with hand-crafted worlds that have rewarding exploration -- and by "rewarding exploration," no, I don't mean that the map is stuffed with goodies. That is another piece of binary thinking. Exploration is rewarding when it stokes curiosity, leads to discovery, when the environment is visually interesting, and when you are occasionally rewarded either with loot, side stories, or just something cool. That is not (outside the main quest and faction quests) what we have here. Bethesda chose option 1, and I wish they would have chosen a more middle-ground approach, rather than pure "realism" that reduces open-world exploration to tedium.

Second, I don't know about you, but I don't play games for realism. If I wanted reality, why would I play games? I play games for entertainment. And Bethesda games in particular have never been realistic. In fact, their best games have been their least realistic ones (e.g., Morrowind). Seems to me that they have chosen to sacrifice entertainment on the altar of "realism." Wandering a thousand planets with nothing to find except some copy/paste structures is not my idea of rewarding exploration.

geary

Empty stuff? I just landed on Moon and had 2 points of interest at the beginning. While waking towards them another 5 appeared on the map. I stays on a random spot on the moon for like 2 hours clearing bases, exploring caves, while i was rewarded with some nice epics guns and helmets and finding some rare resources for crafting...

Empty world my ass....

Danknugz

Starfield cemented in my mind the fact that space is boring. Skyrim is plenty fun to run around and explore, Fallout too. It's space that just isn't compatible with human exploration while making it interesting.
Just playing devils advocate here, but maybe Bethesda purposefully chose space instead of a terrestrial setting because of this very fact that space is mostly empty, lifeless and boring and that falls perfectly in line with procedurally generated content?

Humdinger

Yeah, that decision baffled me. A SF game spread throughout the galaxy, but without alien races? Seems like a rather unimaginative world.

Ammogeddon

Starfield is not really an open world game.

I thought I’d check it out and can’t find anything from BGS where they promote it as such. They bill it as an RPG. Maybe there are interviews I’m missing that say otherwise?

When you move past it not being a seamless open world it becomes a better experience.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Its car gmod basically 🤷‍♂️. Whoever think of it as a mere physics simulator just hasn't played it properly
Gmod also isn't as much of a game as it is a sandbox/social platform.
Not saying that it isn't fun, or that BeamNG is bad, but it is lacking a good singleplayer campaign that games like Most Wanted and Forza Horizon are known for. It's a problem i have with Assetto Corsa too.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gmod also isn't as much of a game as it is a sandbox/social platform.
Not saying that it isn't fun, or that BeamNG is bad, but it is lacking a good singleplayer campaign that games like Most Wanted and Forza Horizon are known for. It's a problem i have with Assetto Corsa too.
Having one would be nice but often don't really need one, FS2020 being another example of this.

Still, the original point is about open world racing games benefiting from large worlds, and this game definitely benefits from large maps. Even gigantic ones composed 99% of sand can be fun

Last edited:

thief183

I don't understand, space IS empty, we know this and Bethesda tried to stay believable in their universe construction. You are going to tell me that you oreferred something like no man's sky? A game about discovering the universe where every single planet in the 3 galaxy you can visit have always someone already rhere? The reality of things is that 99.9999% of planets are empty. Even if you can you don't need to go in any single one of them to go around searching for something... it is just bs.

The universe is there to be a stage for the actual rpg that the game want to be.

I'm so sick and tired of ppl with adhd trying to destroy everything I love about videogames.

RayHell

I never once said that someone shouldn't have a user opinion. Didn't even imply it.

What I'm saying is that for Metacritic the user score is worthless because people don't have to be a user to submit a user score. Metacritic user reviews for popular games are always just another playground to fight on in the console war. It's why Metacritic in general is unreliable. Steam user reviews are better because they reveal how long someone has played the game and you can more easily dismiss those that are clearly review bombing.
I didn't said you implied that, I was explaining to you the point you missed from my first response to the other guy comment. Metacritic user reviews are a battleground yes but this still represent real people because it's real people. Haters get counterbalanced by fanboys. Take the Last of Us 2 for example. Press score 93, user score 58. This game is very polarizing. If I ask my surrounding who were fan of the first one they will either love it or hate it at almost 50/50 because of the story. This is way more accurate representation of the real world than the press review. It's the Academy Award vs blockbuster movie story all over again.

Humdinger

He does a good job of summing it up near the end. Basically, forget about exploration. It's boring and unrewarding. Stick to the main quest and faction quests, and you'll have an enjoyable 30-40 hours.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
An 88 on OpenCritic and mostly positive reviews should scare other developers from making open-world games? I don't understand where you're going with this.

Also, is it barren or is it filled with checkboxes of stuff to do? Which one is it?
Yup.

I’ll add this thread to the ignore list of pointless Starfield threads.

sendit

Man... I see you bringing this over and over again, I get it you love Starfield. One would think if you enjoy it so much you wouldn't be on forums but instead playing it lol.
Besides my reply was to the poster who wanted vehicules to explore, fact is you can't explore a planet that way... and you know damn well Bethesda pretended you could. It's not the first time they've been caught lying about their games.

384.jpeg

It's fake exploration to me. Better?

This I agree with. The vision is so limited by the engine here. They did what they could. It's loading screen after loading screen. If it wasn't for the semi-quick load times, I would have dropped the game. With that said, I'm still enjoying it.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yup. Devs, shrink the size of your fucking game. No one gives a shit about huge, massive, empty worlds.

Bitching about huge ass empty worlds with nothing to do but scan rocks and trees is nothing? Lol.
Zelda has big ass empty open worlds and people love that, don't they? I have never been more bored walking around in BOTW and TOTK and I have put roughly 50 hours into both.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yet the PC review score is even higher at 88 and that review list has only one Xbox site:
Maybe it's a better game, I don't know. They are two different game, artistically(60fps vs 30 fps). He gave Xbox score so I looked at it's reviewers.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Zelda has big ass empty open worlds and people love that, don't they? I have never been more bored walking around in BOTW and TOTK and I have put roughly 50 hours into both.
Zelda is garbage to me too. Its Empty and ugly as fuck.

GTA V, RDR 2 and Horizon Forbidden West have the best open worlds in my eyes. Waiting on the expansion to try CyberPunk.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sarcasm or deluded. Given you post history I'm guessing deluded.

For starters game was delayed 2 to 3 times....
And? That’s still the industry average. AAA games in this industry get delayed left and right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom