• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought a PS3... and now I can't connect to PSN :( Help?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I nabbed a 20GB PS3 today (which involved much razzing from the jackass at Toys R Us) and just got it hooked up. I wanna get that Motorstorm demo downloading before I go to bed and buy Gripshift. So I set up my account and now I can't connect. I don't know what is wrong, the connection just keeps timing out.

It's hooked up through my wired router. I'm using the same cord that hooks up my 360 (until I get a hub back there so I don't have to switch cables), which has NO connection problems. I set the system as the DMZ. I tried changing my DNS settings to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3, still nothing. When I do the network test Obtain IP Address and Internet Connection both Succeed and then the connection to the Playstation Network fails.

Any ideas I can try?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lambtron said:
Okay so I nabbed a 20GB PS3 today (which involved much razzing from the jackass at Toys R Us) and just got it hooked up. I wanna get that Motorstorm demo downloading before I go to bed and buy Gripshift. So I set up my account and now I can't connect. I don't know what is wrong, the connection just keeps timing out.

It's hooked up through my wired router. I'm using the same cord that hooks up my 360 (until I get a hub back there so I don't have to switch cables), which has NO connection problems. I set the system as the DMZ. I tried changing my DNS settings to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3, still nothing. When I do the network test Obtain IP Address and Internet Connection both Succeed and then the connection to the Playstation Network fails.

Any ideas I can try?

Have you tried the easy/automatic network set up on your PS3? Those DNS numbers don't sound right to me.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
TTP said:
Have you tried the easy/automatic network set up on your PS3? Those DNS numbers don't sound right to me.
I did try the easy/automatic settings. Timed out. I did a little searching and found a post on the Sony messageboards that said some people had luck when they changed to those DNS settings. They're Level3's DNS server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4.2.2.2

garrickk

You want to use your ISP's DNS server, not some random remote server. If you have a WinXP PC connected to your router as well, you can run in a command window "ipconfig /all" and see your local ISP DNS server. Your PS3 should find this with automatic settings.

What was your setup procedure on you XBOX?

llTll

Banned
why people when they need help here, most of the gaf members run like monkeys?

the guy need some help. whoever come here, try to help. even if you dont know the answer.

i have noticed this in many threads. people here should stop posting crap abou X game vs Y game and notice these kinda of threads because they are really important

to the OP. i have friend in UAE, he has the same problem as you. he connect to the browser. he can go to PSN, create new account. and when he reach the last stage, it times out and cant connect. he tried to change the network settings from PPoE to PPoA and it didnt work. NAT is active. but he just cant get it. he is using Link Sys Modem. while his other friend who is using the same ISP provider, is able to connect no problem.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Similar question: should a 60gb PS3 be able to find a wireless router in the same way? Even if it's a Japanese PS3 on a network in the States/EU?

Takes the piss when your XBox can connect so easily as well... I remember having DNS problems when trying to hook up my PS2 BB adapter for some online Burnout. Sadly, I don't remember exactly how they were fixed, although garrickk's suggestion sounds gravy for the time being.

I have a PS3 too, but I can't remember doing any kind of setup procedure. I think I just plugged in the ethernet cable and that was that.

lynux3

B-Genius said:
Similar question: should a 60gb PS3 be able to find a wireless router in the same way? Even if it's a Japanese PS3 on a network in the States/EU?

You have to go to the Settings icon on XMB and setup your connection through Network Settings. If you have the 60GB then you can Scan for wireless routers... after that you should be able to figure it out.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
lynux3 said:
You have to go to the Settings icon on XMB and setup your connection through Network Settings. If you have the 60GB then you can Scan for wireless routers... after that you should be able to figure it out.
Wow, thanks for that :) I guess it would log onto the western Sony stores and whathaveyou regardless of it being a Japanese system. No upset akin to the likes of the Wii VC hopefully.

llTll

Banned
i have noticed 2 different versions of PS3

one of them you can hear the fan when it start running [ 15 mins after you turn the system on ] and the second one that you dont hear the fan at all.

i wonder if one of them is bad [ i am not kidding ]

my japanese PS3 doesnt have that sound
my US PS3 does [ i figured my US PS3 has problem. so i returned it and got another one. same thing. unless alll the units from the store are broken ]. also when i say u can hear the fan, its not like the xbox 360 fan. its even less than xbox 1 fan. you have to have your TV on mute and you have to be close to hear it ]

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
m0dus said:
Wait, are you serious? What a prick.

You think that is bad? I have a better story. When I bought my PS3 a couple of Sundays ago at Gamestop, I heard from a Gamestop employee that "you would have to be an idiot to buy a PS3 right now" just as the guy who was helping me is handing me my 60GB. He says this to a customer who asked which is better: X360 or PS3. So, I spoke up and retorted, "Oh, I guess that makes me an idiot, eh?" He then stammered a bit and said, "Oh no, not you. I am just saying that....that...I am not saying you are an idiot". Then, this mom says to the huy, "Uh, yes you did. You called him an idiot." The guy handing me the PS3 just shrugged at me and gave me this apathetic smirk. What was even more interesting is that the guy calling PS3 buyers idiots just walked to the back of the store, and then I was asked a bunch of questions from people there about why I was buying a PS3 and not an X360. I told them I own both and that both have strengths and weaknesses but it certainly is not a mistake to buy something if you can and you want to.

What irked me is that I was really pumped and excited about buying the PS3 and console purchases are always very thrilling times for me. This chowder head really took some of the fun out of it. Thankfully, playing Resistance and the demos that night cleansed the bad memories.

theBishop

Banned
The first thing you should do is delete all the goofy settings you changed, create a new connection connecting your PS3 directly to your modem.

If it connects, the problem is related to your router configuration. If it doesn't connect, then you can start looking at DNS and other things.

Raistlin

Verify that your router isn't cock-blocking by either the MAC addressing configuration ... or the DNS Number of connections.

You may have set up your security a while ago and forgot about it.

Protip: I did this very thing :p

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DenogginizerOS said:
You think that is bad? I have a better story. When I bought my PS3 a couple of Sundays ago at Gamestop, I heard from a Gamestop employee that "you would have to be an idiot to buy a PS3 right now" just as the guy who was helping me is handing me my 60GB. He says this to a customer who asked which is better: X360 or PS3. So, I spoke up and retorted, "Oh, I guess that makes me an idiot, eh?" He then stammered a bit and said, "Oh no, not you. I am just saying that....that...I am not saying you are an idiot". Then, this mom says to the huy, "Uh, yes you did. You called him an idiot." The guy handing me the PS3 just shrugged at me and gave me this apathetic smirk. What was even more interesting is that the guy calling PS3 buyers idiots just walked to the back of the store, and then I was asked a bunch of questions from people there about why I was buying a PS3 and not an X360. I told them I own both and that both have strengths and weaknesses but it certainly is not a mistake to buy something if you can and you want to.

What irked me is that I was really pumped and excited about buying the PS3 and console purchases are always very thrilling times for me. This chowder head really took some of the fun out of it. Thankfully, playing Resistance and the demos that night cleansed the bad memories.
This is kind of close to what happened to me, however I was too shocked to respond. Our Toys R Us is one of the ones with the security room; you pay for your game or console or whatever at the registers with a slip, then you go over to the security room with your receipt and they go in the back and get it. So I pay my $529.99 after taxes and stroll over to the security room pretty excited to grab my console. About a minute later some guy comes walking over and goes "SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY WASTING THEIR MONEY ON A PS3 HUH?" I turn around and the guy takes the receipts from me and walks into the back room. My friends who were with me had given me friendly ribbing all day, but that's a little different, you know? I'm totally shocked that he actually just said this.

So he brings my machine out, sets it down on the counter and marks my receipts that I picked up my console. Then he goes "Yeah, these things are a big waste of money. Blu-ray sucks, controllers don't work [this is his quote, I assume he meant legacy controllers], and there's no games for it. Here you go!" I scowled and muttered "virtuafighterfive..." under my breath.

It really took a lot of the fun out of it for me, too. What a little cock.

Anyway, it's still not connecting. I'll try to hook it straight up to my modem after a bit (other people are on the network, ya dig?) and see if that helps. Hopefully it's just that PSNetwork is down or something last night/this morning. Blargh. :(

Top Bottom