• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just gotta rant about Sony's poor quality control on their controllers.

wvnative

Been through fucking SIX of these since 2013. Either the rubber starts peeling off the sticks, the usb ports go bad, or they start drifting on both sticks. I just bought my 6th one in May and both sticks have severe drift already. I also live in a situation that makes this more complex of a situation than it would be for most.

I live with a severe degenerative muscle disease, which makes the majority of controllers out there impossible or at least real hard to use. Thankfully Sony's controller designs have always gelled with how my hands/fingers work. And the dualshock 4 is the best controller I've ever used for several reasons...weight, shape, stick resistance, button layout, even the touchpad actually HELPS me (More on that later)

But shit, I actually have a decent amount of money, but that doesn't mean I wanna spend the equivalent of a new game every few months on a new controller.

"But dude, just buy a controller adapter and use an Xbox/Switch controller or get a third party controller"

The issue with that is I can't use those other controllers easily. As for third party controllers of similar shape, this is a bit complex. I use something called a Cronus device, that allows GPC scripting, this greatly expands my ability to play games. One small example is, I don't have the strength to click the sticks in, so what I can do with this device, is assign L3 to the left of the touchpad, and R3 on the right of the touchpad, for easier access. I use a variety of these types of things for different games, The cronus isn't gonna work with the bulk of third party controllers and a good chunk of those that do either don't have a fully functioning touchpad or are too bulky and differently shaped for me to comfortably use.

"Your too hard on your controllers, I've had my dualshock 4 since launch and it is perfect I SAY"

Ah, I get this a lot too, hey man, you won the controller lottery and that's awesome, but I have yet to have such luck. Been through 3 V1 controllers and 3 V2 controllers all bought brand new at different times and in different colors. They all fail. Also it's impossible for me to be hard on the controllers given how weak I am, I rest them on my chest while I play. I am very gentle with the sticks.

"Xbox adaptive controller?"

That thing is great for those who need it, but for my exact situation it doesn't work real great. I don't really need special switches, just a well shaped traditional pad. Also the existence of that thing pisses me off when Microsoft won't even let you remap the triggers in the Xbox remap app for a regular controller.

Honestly I don't have a real purpose to this topic other than to rant about it and complain about it has really started to impact me.

Anybody got similar stories?

GymWolf

Ds4 is utter shit, mediocre battery life, useless touchpad, the fucking led light, it crumbles in your hand if you don't have the hand strenght of 80 years old, awful positioning for start and select buttons, too small, the horrible rubber cover on the sticks, cheap and unstable mini-usb port etc.

I bought a nacon revolution v2 instead, not the best but light years better than dual cock 4...

Last edited:
The build quality is dog shit. When I owned a PS4 I think I ended up buying three. I'm not remotely hard on them but one pretty much fell apart, while the battery life on another went from around 4 hours to 1. For some reason.

I think the ones that come with the Pro are better.

wvnative

The build quality is dog shit. When I owned a PS4 I think I ended up buying three. I'm not remotely hard on them but one pretty much fell apart, while the battery life on another went from around 4 hours to 1. For some reason.

I think the ones that come with the Pro are better.

Nah, I've been through a few of the V2 controllers as well. I thought maybe they'd improve but they didn't.

Reactions: Isa

CeeJay

The Xbox Elite controller lets you map the 4 paddles to any of the other buttons (including stick clicks).

wvnative

The Xbox Elite controller lets you map the 4 paddles to any of the other buttons (including stick clicks).

Sadly I can't use Xbox style controllers with the Asymmetrical layout and those different style handles. Plus I need the additional input options that the touchpad provides.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've had the USB ports go bad (read: only able to take a charge when the cord is held at a specific angle, and then not able to take a charge at all) on all three of my PS4 controllers. PS4 owner since 2015. Thumbsticks weren't a problem, thankfully.

And any sort of amateur repair is hopeless. The internals are very difficult to put back together. I'll repeat: I am just an amateur, but none of Sony's previous controllers were this difficult to disassemble and investigate.

CeeJay

Sadly I can't use Xbox style controllers with the Asymmetrical layout and those different style handles. Plus I need the additional input options that the touchpad provides.
Fair enough. Have you looked at the Scuf controllers? The PS4 controllers are more robust than the standard and you can get paddles. With the amount of money you are spending on controllers, the extra cost of the Scuf's might be cost effective in the long run.

Iorv3th

I think it might be you. It's almost a statistical impossibility that you got 6 of them and 100% of them broke from 'poor quality'.

I have 6 or 7 and have had one "break" with stick drift.

But part of me is biased from all the dumbasses that came in when I worked at gamestop and tried to return stuff that just 'broke' and it wasn't their fault.

wvnative

Fair enough. Have you looked at the Scuf controllers? The PS4 controllers are more robust than the standard and you can get paddles. With the amount of money you are spending on controllers, the extra cost of the Scuf's might be cost effective in the long run.

I was looking at those yesterday, and they look promising, and I think they DO work with the cronus though I gotta double check. That price scares me though, and I googled some reactions and some people still complained about quality.

Fox Mulder

I think they're mediocre controllers. The battery life is poor thanks to barely used gimmicks. The plastic creaks. I've had one go bad at the charging port and another get stick drift.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Guess I won the lottery, then... Doens't really matter though, since the controller itself is terrible.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought a pack of these and I haven't looked back. It feels weird without them. (the ones on the far right) I try to put them on all the controllers I use. I may be an outsider, but I like the DS4. My favorite being the 20th Anniversary DS4. I have one of those charging docks. I go between two controllers for myself. The one that came with the console feels like a roller rink, all the surface texture has blended in. I can easily drop it if I'm not careful. I don't find the DS4 as having as much dust and dirt as the DS2 and DS3 did.

61sNnqzcCzL._SX425_.jpg

You might think these would pop off, but if you find a good pair of quality grips then you won't have that issue. I've seen a few conversion mods out there, swapping Xbox sticks on the PS4. I'm find with what I got.

s-l640.jpg

Would this work?

BTHR Zero X

That sucks to hear, I have had mine since 2013 also and have only just had to replace the sticks and I am rough as feck with them. Maybe it was a bad batch?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Three years in my original controllers are going strong. Battery life is garbage, but other than that quality seems good.

Birdo

Banned
Ths entire gen has been a shit-show for controllers. No system has been without it's controller issues.

It's basically all down to quality control and cheap materials.

China.

Ryllix_

My PS4 controller had rubber peeling off of the joysticks, the touch pad felt very loose and the battery life was awful. Ive had faulty Xbox controllers too though.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Worst engineered and worst quality controller I've ever used. I beat the crap out of my Xbox controllers, I mean literally beat the crap out of them, throw them against the wall, beat 'em with my remote and they keep on working for thousands and thousands of hours.

Hardly ever used my PS4 while I had it and I never laid a finger to that PoS controller since PS4 games aren't nearly as challenging as Gears or Halo on Legendary so I didn't get frustrated enough to beat it up, but I accidentally dropped it from about 3 feet onto carpeted floor, and one of the sticks got all jammed up.

That controller wouldn't last a day under the abuse my Xbox controller gets.

Nymphae

Banned
Still using my launch one. I can see the most minor of wear on the top of the left analog, nothing to worry about really. A certain number will be defective of course, and people's usage habits will affect how long they last.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck the dualshock 4 i got 5 shit tier asspads from sony.

Had to frankenstein the fuckers to make 2 working ones.

Now i have 1 left as the other died after half a year and the usb is yet again starting to get wonky on the last one.

Meanwhile in normal land.
3 dualshocks from ps1 2 from ps2..
Still work.

The ps3 pad is also ass.

johntown

Banned
PS4 controllers have IMO the best style and comfort from what I prefer. I guess I don't use them enough or hard enough that I have really had any issues.

I still have an Xbox 360 controller for my PC still going strong. Slight drift on the left stick but not too bad. My only complaint with the controller is the positioning of the analogue sticks....I don't like them offset like that. That is really the only reason I like the DS4 better is the analogue sticks.

Doom85

As others have said, guess I "won the lottery", mine has been fine since I bought mine 3 years ago. And I play on my PS4 virtually every day.

Also, the PS4 controller is much better than the PS3 controller, those analogue sticks felt too loose so I was glad when the PS4 one made them a bit stronger.

Paasei

My opinion is the direct opposite of yours somehow. Still looking good and is just overall a great controller.

I would say that the Switch Pro pad is the GOAT, but it lacks an 3.5mm jack port. Something that I use 100% of the time when I use my PS4 and play a game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My opinion is the direct opposite of yours somehow. Still looking good and is just overall a great controller.

I would say that the Switch Pro pad is the GOAT, but it lacks an 3.5mm jack port. Something that I use 100% of the time when I use my PS4 and play a game.
With that dpad?
Ooooooooofio part deux II

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just had to replace a controller I bought in February due to drift, itself a replacement for a controller where the coverings of the analogs just ripped off. I feel you.

I’m not some kind of brutal savage with my controllers. Quite the opposite. While I do play a lot of competitive online stuff, this doesn’t feel like the standard that should be aspired to.

Nintendo is in the same situation with drift, and I read, maybe here, that Xbox controller shoulder buttons break easily? Like Birdo Birdo said, the entire generation seems like a shitshow for controllers.

Last edited:

DonF

Sony's? You surely mean nintendo! The joycons are known for their drift and the pro controller's d pad and shoulders buttons are awful.

spawn

I've had my OG dualshock 4 since launch. I actually want mine to break so that I have a reason to buy the newest colors that have come out

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not too sure it's controller lottery.
My brother has destroyed 4 controllers.
3 of mine and one of his own.
Thing is the two of them I had a good for over a year with no problems until I give it to him to used because I got a new one to replace the P2 controller he broke.
And months after he got his own PS4, same shit happened to his controller.
Yet he claims the same things.
not saying your the same.
But sometimes people don't see the difference.

DanielsM

Banned
I actually like the DS4, it makes creaking noise when I grip it tight but overall I like it. I wish I could use it on my Xbox 360 now. For the record, I had no issues with X360 one either but now it just doesn't feel nearly as good as the DS4.

Pimpbaa

I've had two where the triggers broke and most recently I had to replace my ds4 because the left analog stick stopped responding correctly (I'm assuming plastic dust got into one of the potentiometers). 3 fucking broke DS4s, and I never had controllers fail on me until the PS4 (going back to the Colecovision).

With that dpad?
Ooooooooofio part deux II

The Switch Pro D-pad is easy to improve though. Glue a 2mm tall hemispherical piece of plastic to the center of the bottom of the d-pad which creates a pivot point. It eliminates false inputs entirely.

It’s still a bit on the mushy side, but it’s a massive improvement that only requires some plastic cement and a little spare time. Well worth it considering the controller is quite good other than the d-pad and the lack of analog triggers.

Eyeron

They’re awful. I’ve owned 3 and the right trigger spring has broken on 2. Generally, they feel cheap. Sad because the original dual shock was one of the best in the industry. Hope Sony doesn’t cheap out again next gen. Not buying a launch PS5 either way. (Always say this and cave).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers have said a THOUSAND times they don't care for SONY's controllers battery life. Where I defer with most of the complaints (I love the touchbar, I love the triggers etc.) I think it comes with oversight from SONY.

Issue's I've had since I got a PS4 on launch.

- right thumbstick drift (causes reticule to drift and infinite menu cycles)

- left thumbstick dead zone upper right (causes your character to stall or slow when moving in that direction)

- right thumbstick malfunction (playing twitch shooters like overwatch makes it so that when I quickly aim left from right it'll twitch back to the left position)

I've replaced about 5 controllers over the years because of these issues.

TLZ

Banned
I don't know what you guys do with your controllers. All my older console controllers work well still. Do you arm wrestle them or something?

Also I don't get who say DS4 is smaller. I prefer using it over my Xbox One controller because it feels a bit bigger and wider. Also fills my hands better.

Rat Rage

Ds4 is utter shit, mediocre battery life, useless touchpad, the fucking led light, it crumbles in your hand if you don't have the hand strenght of 80 years old, awful positioning for start and select buttons, too small, the horrible rubber cover on the sticks, cheap and unstable mini-usb port etc.

I bought a nacon revolution v2 instead, not the best but light years better than dual cock 4...

100% true. Sony's first party controllers (just like pretty much any other major console manufacturer's first party controllers) used to be the reference in quality. It's ALWAYS been like that... well, until the DS4 came out.

It's build quality feels just feels very cheap.

Sony should be ashamed, really. Hopefully they get back on track with the PS5 controller.

Top Bottom