• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just gotta rant about Sony's poor quality control on their controllers.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Issue's I've had since I got a PS4 on launch.

- left thumbstick dead zone upper right (causes your character to stall or slow when moving in that direction)

Fucking hell I thought I was just loosing my mind, 2 controllers have done this to me and will be used as parts. Comes on in CoD multi and makes the controller useless for FPS play.

Shakka43

Aside from the battery life(which is truly bad), the form factor and quality of the three DS4's i currently own are pretty much flawless. the one I had with my previous ps4(original) did have the thumb-sticks peeling problem though.

jakinov

The PS4 controller I got with my PS4 Pro's battery doesn't charge anymore. I got my PS4 pro when God of War came out. My only issue isn't with build quality or quality control but that the battery sucks even with the non-broken controller I traded in.

I don't think it's poor quality control. I think it's that some people are unlucky or some people wear out their controllers faster than others. People should expect this these strings to break as the buttons you are pressing are mechanical. Grease, and stuff gets inside the little holes and things wear and tear. They could probably spend extra money to harden things but it's about balancing costs.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love the controller. It’s super comfortable and I never had a problem with build quality. I’ve had 2 controllers since launch and my first one(launch controller) had an issue where the X button would only work if I pushed it really hard, this happened when I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda so it took several years of use to do this. so I bought a new one and it has worked flawlessly since. Then. Never had the rubber wear off on my sticks at all. I don’t even see how it’s possible, I’ve seen se real people complain about that and my sticks were pristine never even had an once of wear. Unless someone has a habit of picking at them or whatever.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

My 2013 controler work fine until recently and my 2016 controler still works fine. I agree on issue of better batery needed, touch pad reduced or replaced and maybe the r2 l2, and option bottons redesing.

lukilladog

They decided to borrow the ultra cheap stick potentiometer part from xbox360/one, the thing doesn´t even cost a dollar to them. Pick a solder iron and spare parts from ebay and stop giving these corporations free money.

wvnative

wvnative wvnative

Have you looked into the Astro C40 TR?

Same layout as the DS4 (tho bigger) build quality is real nice.

Highly suggest looking into it

Really funny you brought this up, I went to Best Buy after making this topic, and they had these on display and I messed around with it. Touchpad seemed harder to push, the sticks felt way more sensitive and loose, and I think the bigger size would not work for me. Seriously looking into Scuf currently, but nervous.

OP, how much did Xbox pay you to make this thread?

Not enough to buy me a new Dualshock 4 :p

I bought a pack of these and I haven't looked back. It feels weird without them. (the ones on the far right) I try to put them on all the controllers I use. I may be an outsider, but I like the DS4. My favorite being the 20th Anniversary DS4. I have one of those charging docks. I go between two controllers for myself. The one that came with the console feels like a roller rink, all the surface texture has blended in. I can easily drop it if I'm not careful. I don't find the DS4 as having as much dust and dirt as the DS2 and DS3 did.

61sNnqzcCzL._SX425_.jpg

You might think these would pop off, but if you find a good pair of quality grips then you won't have that issue. I've seen a few conversion mods out there, swapping Xbox sticks on the PS4. I'm find with what I got.

s-l640.jpg

Would this work?

I actually do have rubber grips which solved the rubber peeling issue on these controllers, but that doesn't solve the issues I continue to have.

As for the Hori pad, a couple issues present themselves. First I've grown used to having the extra input possibilities provided by the touchpad, At minimum, I need 6 possible buttons on the front (L3, R3, Touchpad click, Options, Share, and PS button). Looks like this only has 4 or 5

Secondly, need the handles, helps rest the controller in my hands.

Stadia looks like the most promising controller, even though it only has 5 buttons. But at this point, I'd give up the share button.

Pejo

I agree with you OP, I LOVE the DS4 form factor, layout, grip, etc. I use it for all of my PS4 and PC gaming, and it's the best controller that I've used (so far). I like the symmetrical sticks, so the Xbox line never appealed to me. That said, I'm on my 5th controller now due to all kinds of stupid shit. I'm not a guy that rages and throws controllers or anything like that, but the build quality is just much worse on these than the DS3s. I was especially pissed that both of my launch controllers had the issue where the padding on the thumb sticks wore off. I mean come on.

Really funny you brought this up, I went to Best Buy after making this topic, and they had these on display and I messed around with it. Touchpad seemed harder to push, the sticks felt way more sensitive and loose, and I think the bigger size would not work for me. Seriously looking into Scuf currently, but nervous.
Well the reason I brought up the Astro is because the software allows you to adjust sensitivity for sticks and triggers independently from games you play. Allowing you to double adjust when adding your adjustments from whatever game you are playing.

Also they sell replacement parts cheap
c40-stickmodule-gallery-01.png

Meaning you can just replace the stick module if you brake it instead of buying a whole new controller.

Of course none of that matters if you aren't comfortable with its size.

NBNW13

Neo Member
Agree with the OP. I'm on my fourth controller now and the down button on the D Pad just stopped working recently. Makes no sense given the infrequency in which I actually used that portion of the controller (constantly using the analog sticks to control character movement obviously, but I RARELY used the d pad). Worst part about it is that I sat down to play Spiderman finally and I had to stop midway through the first level because I couldn't regenerate health without the damn down button smh. It's made more egregious by the fact that I bought an Xbox 1x at release and as people have noted in this thread, the controllers for that thing are god-tier. They aren't just more durable, they literally feel more substantial in your hand. The build quality on them are exponentially superior to the DS4s.

wvnative

Agree with the OP. I'm on my fourth controller now and the down button on the D Pad just stopped working recently. Makes no sense given the infrequency in which I actually used that portion of the controller (constantly using the analog sticks to control character movement obviously, but I RARELY used the d pad). Worst part about it is that I sat down to play Spiderman finally and I had to stop midway through the first level because I couldn't regenerate health without the damn down button smh. It's made more egregious by the fact that I bought an Xbox 1x at release and as people have noted in this thread, the controllers for that thing are god-tier. They aren't just more durable, they literally feel more substantial in your hand. The build quality on them are exponentially superior to the DS4s.

Xbox just needs to make a Symmetrical stick layout alternative

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Really sorry to hear your bad luck. I have 4 and cycle between them and they are all still in great shape after hundreds of hours. Battery life is disappointing and one of them creaks when the shoulders are used, but I really like the design and quality.

Sleepwalker

Ive gone through at least 8 since launch and about 4 xbox one controllers.

The ps4 controllers have terrible quality, the rubber doesnt last long and sometimes R1 L1 or R2 L2 get stuck. Stick drifting is also fairly common and dont get me started on batteries just straight up dying.

The xbox ones are mostly due to a faulty play n charge pack that burned 2 of my controllers. One got stick drifting (never bothered fixing it) and the other I'm using right now. In general I find they have far better build quality and last way longer than the ps4 ones. Despite being a bit more heavy and using double A batteries in 2019.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about GameStop in the States but in Canada if you buy a controller from EB Games (best to wait until Boxing Day for the standard sale @ $49.99 CAD) and do the 'gameplay guarantee' should be like $7.00 if anything happens with your controller, you bring it in with the gameplay guarantee receipt and voila! they give you a brand new Dualshock 4, no questions asked. If I remember correctly these are good for like a year but if you grab a few of the same colour then you can basically rotate them and change them out every year, problem solved, in Canada atleast.

wvnative

I'm not too sure about GameStop in the States but in Canada if you buy a controller from EB Games (best to wait until Boxing Day for the standard sale @ $49.99 CAD) and do the 'gameplay guarantee' should be like $7.00 if anything happens with your controller, you bring it in with the gameplay guarantee receipt and voila! they give you a brand new Dualshock 4, no questions asked. If I remember correctly these are good for like a year but if you grab a few of the same colour then you can basically rotate them and change them out every year, problem solved, in Canada atleast.

GameStop never mentioned anything like that to me, guess I might can look into that...

Gargus

Banned
I have no idea what you guys means. I have had the same dual shock that came with my ps4 when it launched and it never had an issue, Ive had the same dual shock that came with the ps4 pro I got at launch and never had an issue. My stepson has a ps4 slim with the original controller. My wife has a red dual shock I got her so she could play games with me and no issues at all. Never had a issue with a ps3 or ps2 controller either. And have several friends who have a ps4 with no issues in the controller.

My guess is either a few people got a defective one (there is no such thing as mass producing something and everyone of them coming out perfect, there will be defects) and that the few wth problems are the ones who make a big noise about it and act like its widespread and see the other few complain also and point to them as being an issue also. Or some people have stuff on their hands that breaks down the material.

I mean you can obviously tell it isnt a wide spread epidemic effecting most ps4 owners. If it were we would know about it. Just like how joycon drifting was a big deal and actually did effect a lot of people. If this was a big issue people would be yelling from the roof tops and filing class action lawsuit like they did with nintendo, arguably the most beloved console manufacturer out there. So if no one is yelling at sony or claming lawsuit then it isnt a big deal.

Elitist1945

My launch PS4 controller lost the rubber on the stick, but other than that the two other controllers I've had have been fine (short battery aside). I haven't used them in quite some time though - bought the Astro C-40 - best controller I've owned.

Cynn

The DS4 build quality is, and always has been shit. Anyone denying that is flying a flag for Sony.

I’m more interested in your personal situation. I’m glad the DS4 works for your hands but are you afraid next gen the DS5 might be different in a way that ruins it for you as well? And how the hell was a DS3 OK for you? Is it all down to symmetrical sticks?

It’s awesome that you can keep on gaming on your situation. Respect.

Galaed27310

Neo Member
I have had about 3 controllers since February since thats when I got my first ps4 and I wanted enough controllers to play with friends if they ever came over. My issue is that the 2 controllers that I barely ever use are almost worthless with crap battery life, one in particular is impossible to press the L2 button without needing a hammer for the button to respond. The controller I do use has a weird glitch where I might be walking forward using the left stick and then for some reason my character decides he wants to walk backwards slightly to the left. And so there is this weirdlike shuffle motion where I am pressing forward but somehow backwards at once. I do not know if this is the Stick drift you guys were talking about or not. I do hope they improve this with the new PS5 next year though

wvnative

The DS4 build quality is, and always has been shit. Anyone denying that is flying a flag for Sony.

I’m more interested in your personal situation. I’m glad the DS4 works for your hands but are you afraid next gen the DS5 might be different in a way that ruins it for you as well? And how the hell was a DS3 OK for you? Is it all down to symmetrical sticks?

It’s awesome that you can keep on gaming on your situation. Respect.

For the Dualshock 3, my hands are small, but it still had handles, so it was fine. Plus my disease is degenerative, I was stronger back then. Symmetrical sticks help, but weight and handle placement help as well.

For Dualshock 5, yeah that is always something that worries me when a new generation is upon us. But what scares me more is, the cronus device, without that thing, even with the DS4, I don't think I could play without the scripting it provides. I get worried that Sony and Microsoft will block it and other similar devices on next-gen. While I use it for accessibility, most assholes use it for shit like anti-recoil, and using keyboard/mouse in online shooters. I also worry, say for example, the Dualshock 5 might have some gimmick that will make the Cronus impossible to connect with, like a touchscreen.

But we don't know anything about it yet, best not to worry too much.

Once again I'd like to ask, anybody with experience with SCUF?

KINGMOKU

I've never been a Sony guy. Have had every single system (almost)ever made, started on an odyssey 1(paper overlay anyone?)and the PS4, which I no longer own, has the cheapest controller "feel" ever. Drop and that sucker it's exploding, I swear.

The switch is a close second. The joy-cons feel high-end, but a simple drop is gonna ruin em'.

A close third is the Sega Saturn controller. Not the dumb big goofy circle one, but the pad? Junk.

Sorry i can't get more in depth, I've been drinking.

wvnative

I've never been a Sony guy. Have had every single system (almost)ever made, started on an odyssey 1(paper overlay anyone?)and the PS4, which I no longer own, has the cheapest controller "feel" ever. Drop and that sucker it's exploding, I swear.

The switch is a close second. The joy-cons feel high-end, but a simple drop is gonna ruin em'.

A close third is the Sega Saturn controller. Not the dumb big goofy circle one, but the pad? Junk.

Sorry i can't get more in depth, I've been drinking.

Sega Saturn is one major game console I never owned, and have never even played one. But this is the first I've heard of the controller being crap.

Riven326

Banned
I've never had a controller fail. My original NES controllers still work perfectly. Some people just don't take care of things.

Hissing Sid

Been playing games for forty years and the DS4 is the first controller I’ve had crap out on me. I’m ocd as fuck about my stuff and treat everything like it’s made of the finest bone China.

Seriously, I’ve got sticks from the 70’s that still work flawlessly. My first DS4 lasted less than a year. The quality is wank.

Shifty

The rubber on the sticks used to suck, but they fixed that in a hardware revision.
The shoulder buttons used to break, but (i think) they fixed that in a hardware revision.

Unfortuately, the latest version has the noisiest potentiometers in the world, and also a weird clicking thing going on with the vertical axis on the sticks. Fixable if you have your own input setup, but Sony definitely need to sort out their QC.

KINGMOKU

Sega Saturn is one major game console I never owned, and have never even played one. But this is the first I've heard of the controller being crap.
It's been a minute (or two)since I've picked it up(its in storage)but if I'm not mistaken I had both model 1, and model 2 controller's, and the model 2(?)is the one that almost from the jump had pieces rattling around inside the damn thing. The plastic didn't feel sturdy, but the type of plastic that with one medium drop would crack and damage the inside of the controller. Also the way the cord connected into the top of it was janky, and rattled when you moved the controller.

Now the big round controller(nights!)was solid as a brick and you honestly could knock someone out with that beast.

The Saturn was a strange duck, but 10 player bomberman was amazing at the time but the absolute rat's nest of controller cords, and 6 player adapters when in use was a nightmare.

That system became a family event for bomberman. Replaced a lot of those model 2 controllers if memory serves.

Top Bottom