• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just spent 5 hours tapping O and I loved every minute!

AniHawk

About the music, any real awesome songs yet (like Episode II's Image Theme or whatever it was that played in the trailers)?

Bebpo said:
Ughh...5am...must stop playing...so...addicting.

We shall see how the story pans out, but as of near the end of the first disc XS ep3 is the most page-turner-cant-put-down rpg of 2006.

and probably the most entertaining one too :p

moreso than FFXII, VP2? :p

Tabris

Bebpo said:

We shall see how the story pans out, but as of near the end of the first disc XS ep3 is the most page-turner-cant-put-down rpg of 2006.

This is why this thread is better than duckroll's. Duckroll is so against it from the beginning, bebpo is at least more willing to give it a chance.

Tabris said:
This is why this thread is better than duckroll's. Duckroll is so against it from the beginning, bebpo is at least more willing to give it a chance.

That's why I want Bebpo to review Valkyrie Profile 2 also; duckroll's review [somewhere] is fine and all, but that'd be cool if Bebpo wrote a review here, because I can't help but think duckroll's FANatic about it and the series or something.

I'm really looking forward to Bebpo's final word with VP2, Xenosaga 3, and Persona 3.

demi

Bebpo flip flops more than anyone else, I prefer duckroll's word of mouth

By next month Bebpo will be on the Xeno hatewagon, flagging for duckroll to slowdown so he can hop aboard

{Mike}

Banned
Bebpo said:

lol i don't believe you

Bebpo

Banned
Finished disc1 tonight. I would guess it was around 20-25 hours long so if it's 50% of the game then this is the biggest Xenosaga game yet and it would actually be 40-50 hours of plot with stuff CONSTANTLY HAPPENING.

So yeah, it's pretty awesome. RPG of the year so far from disc1 though a lot is riding on how well it ends. Story (including ep1+ep3 and maybe bits of ep2) is one of the most interesting and enjoyable ones of any rpg I've played. I mean compared to game after game of GO TO THE ELEMENTAL DUNGEONS TO FIND THE CRYSTALS or GO FIND THE GLOWING TREASURE or GO BEAT THE EVIL EMPEROR INVADING THE LAND having a real plot like a book is nice.

The gameplay is stacking up really well also. Lots of great dungeons, good battle system that has depth, requires strategy, and still feels old-school turn-based. Good puzzles and hidden secrets.

Music and graphics are still totally awesome. Mecha stuff is amazing and the best mech battles in any rpg since Xenogears. Lots of XG/XSep1 cameo/reference/homages.

One thing is that the game is HARD. It's like really really jokingly easy for a while and then suddenly at one dungeon it's like "Hi, now we are really starting" and it gets at least as hard as ep1 if not harder. Boss fights remind me of SMTIII ALOT. They are long 10-15 min battles where you need to go in with the right accesories equipped and a solid plan or you will DIE. I had one boss where all my characters were at full HP and the boss did its strongest attack...and it killed the entire party instantly. My first and only game over so far >_< But then I went back in with the right stuff and that same attack only did about 1/6th of my HP to my party and I took the boss down. You have to pay tons of attention to elementals to the point where its almost a small flaw since you're basically jumping to your menu and switching up accesories equipped every 3 mins when you see an enemy on the map so you'll have the right stuff for the battle. Luckily there's usually only like 2-3 enemy types per dungeon so you figure out a midway that works well against all and you're set. Anyhow it's hard and I like hard so it's good.

Boss fights are also ****ing badass against bosses that should be ****ing badass. Great music, awesome art designs, great attacks, nice cinematic angles, tough fights that make you sweat; It gets the blood pumping like it should. Especially nice after the panzy Judge fights in FFXII :(

and yeah I have a lot to say about VP2 now that I'm done with it, but I'm a little pre-occupied with Ep3 right now I'll get to that in the future. :p

Oh and Ep3 is doing a good job of ignoring Ep2's existence and the writer is doing an excellent job at bringing the series back from having steered way off course. I could almost believe this was a Takahashi game if it was just a little smarter and more polished.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
That's why I want Bebpo to review Valkyrie Profile 2 also; duckroll's review [somewhere] is fine and all, but that'd be cool if Bebpo wrote a review here, because I can't help but think duckroll's FANatic about it and the series or something.

I'm really looking forward to Bebpo's final word with VP2, Xenosaga 3, and Persona 3.

So it's not okay to be FANatic about VP but it's fine to be FANatic about Xenosaga. Right, Bebpo's definitely your reviewer if you wanna keep hearing what you want then! I won't post again on this matter! :lol

Bebpo loves Tales.

WYWY

[OT]
duckroll said:
Bebpo loves Tales.
Speaking of which, was it you or Bebpo who went awesome/hype-crazy with Radiata Stories when it was released? Because that thread got me to pay full price for the JP copy, and then I came to the conclusion:

Either
a) I have very bad taste(TM)
Or
b) The person responsible for that thread has very bad taste(TM)
Or
c) It is actually a fact that people can sincerely and vehemently disagree on what qualifies as bad taste(TM)
[/OT]

Tellaerin said:
Bebpo +1, then. ;)

QFT

And yes WYWY you have very bad taste. RS was a good game but mainly NOT because of the gameplay. So really you either had bad taste or you didn't understand the language and couldn't fully appreciate the lively world it had to offer.

Back on topic, Ep 3 seems to be nice. I'm into XS still only for story purposes so it's nice to hear there's an overload of it. :D

Bebpo

Banned
I like Tales for the battle systems and/or the casts though so that's kinda different :p Abyss is the only Tales game I liked for the plot as well :)

But duckroll is right. I'm someone who really liked Xenogears and Xenosaga ep1 so yeah, I'm biased and talking about Ep3 from the perspective of someone who enjoys SCI-FI EPIC MELODRAMA WITH ROBOTS. Those that hate XG/Ep1 would probably not share the same thoughts on Ep3!

And I really liked Radiata because:

-It wasn't SO3
-It actually had a likeable cast
-It had nicely directed scenes with good comedy
-It had an awesome living town
-It was unpredictable and non-linear in feel
-The graphical style and art design rocked
-It wasn't SO3

The gameplay was never anything special, and in fact it was kinda bland and bad + the story fell apart completely in the endgame. But it still did a lot right and feels nothing like any other rpg on the market & Ganz rules so I still give RS the thumbs up.

Fun tip: duckroll used to like XG/Ep1 as well! In fact I think he gave Ep1 a 8.9 or higher (I gave it a 9.5 at the time). But now he just makes fun of Xeno :(

Buggy Loop

Well im sold, i liked ep1, and from everything you've said, ep3 is much better. I cant wait to get my hands on it, should get ep2 sometime this month to at least get the story aspect after ep1, heck i should maybe replay ep1, i finished the game back when it launched in the US, not sure i remember much of it <_<;

And yea, i dont think duckroll even gave ep3 a chance, *boot ep3*, title screen appears, "OMG IT SUXXXXX" ;)

Fun tip: duckroll used to like XG/Ep1 as well! In fact I think he gave Ep1 a 8.9 or higher (I gave it a 9.5 at the time). But now he just makes fun of Xeno :(

He wants to enter the GAF clique @ #ga. Now he just needs to buy Kohan and make a bazillion threads about how awesome it is :p

Bebpo said:

And what did you and him give Ep 2? :lol

At first I was hesitant to say that Bebpo has clearly lost his mind. But between liking the Tales of games and Radiata Stories I think I'm going to have to roll with it.

Sorry friend, but I owe you at least this much for tricking me into buying Radiata.

duckroll

Tabris said:
You said you liked the ending. Admit it, if you took out the 1st half of disc 1 and 2 it would have been pretty awesome character/dialogue wise.

Admit what? I disagree with that completely. The character development was horrible in all of XS Ep2. I liked the ending itself specifically. I liked it a lot, but the game was shit. Are you going to justify playing 20 hours of a shit game for a great ending sequence? If so then that's you, it's not what *I* play games for. Don't put ****ing shit in my mouth.

Tabris

duckroll said:
Admit what? I disagree with that completely. The character development was horrible in all of XS Ep2. I liked the ending itself specifically. I liked it a lot, but the game was shit. Are you going to justify playing 20 hours of a shit game for a great ending sequence? If so then that's you, it's not what *I* play games for. Don't put ****ing shit in my mouth.

You said you agreed with that chart I did after beating Xenosaga Episode III and it had the 2nd half of disc 1 and disc 2 being awesome. It was like a year ago when we were debating about the game.

Bebpo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
At first I was hesitant to say that Bebpo has clearly lost his mind. But between liking the Tales of games and Radiata Stories I think I'm going to have to roll with it.

Sorry friend, but I owe you at least this much for tricking me into buying Radiata.

Who ever said I was sane in the first place? :D

duckroll

Tabris said:
You said you agreed with that chart I did after beating Xenosaga Episode III and it had the 2nd half of disc 1 and disc 2 being awesome. It was like a year ago when we were debating about the game.

I specifically remember saying the ending was awesome enough to justify the existance of disc2, not that disc2 was worth anything. :p

Top Bottom