• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just spent 5 hours tapping O and I loved every minute!

Bebpo

Banned
So, yeah...

Xenosaga Episode 3 is...pretty good?

...well unless you like to 'play' games. But then again if you're a fan of the series in the first place you probably don't really mind if you're playing or watching your rpg.

Turns out that those who complained about the gameplay/cutscene ratio in the first 6-8 hours of Ep1 will go batshit insane if they play Ep3 since it has less gameplay in its first 6 hours than Xenosaga Ep1 or probably any other non-text-adventure/romance game out there. See at first the game kinda tricks you into thinking there will be gameplay by starting you off with a tutorial dungeon. But then after that and a quick mech battle you will not fight in a single battle or solve a puzzle for 5-6 hours. Nope, the next 5+ hours consist of walking around a couple of locations and tapping O to advance fully-voiced text boxes (there aren't really that many 'real' cutscenes in the game so the story is 99% pushed through "press O to advance" text boxes").

...Yet those 5 hours of tapping O were very enjoyable. Moreso than the story bits of a lot of recent rpgs. This time around Xenosaga doesn't insult your intelligence, have stupid last-action-hero-meets-anime stunt crap, and doesn't really have all that much techno-babble-for-no-sake (there was a little in the intro dungeon, but its like they got it out of there system there). Nope, instead it's fairly solid writing, characters who thankfully act IN CHARACTER CONSISTENTLY *coughep2cough*, very nice music, and a plot that seems to be moving full-pace ahead since there's a billion characters/plotlines and they only have this game to wrap it all up. The cutscenes that are "real" cutscenes are fairly well directed, and though the game reeks of ultra-low-budget (besides the all voiced text-box story, you have CG stills with voice overs, and news casts telling plot details through audio only) they've done a nice job within their budget restraints.

The graphics are pretty nice too. Not that they jump out as mind-blowing necessarily (and the character proportions are still all sorts of stupid), but the game has a very grand scale to it that makes the cities, space stations, and the like feel really huge like they should be. The game also uses visual tricks like CG backgrounds that become real-time part-way to make some of the landscapes look fairly next-gen incredible when they really aren't. The towns feel alive with people talking all around you with 3d speech bubbles and the new mini-game Geomix is kinda ****ing wierd like spaced out Mario Bros meets Intelligence Cube and is a full standalone game that even has its own level editor :eek:

Dungeons also seem pretty good with actual puzzles yay(GRR...VP2 and its lack of VP1 puzzles >_<), and the game has the fastest loading of any 3d rpg when it comes to battle transitions in and out. Being able to bring your own traps to layout and catch enemies off-guard before engaging them is pretty cool too and the main battle system is very fast and seems like it could be alright.

So yeah...though at first it felt like a trainwreck since ep3 just drops you into the middle of the action with no warning, after the intro stuff it actually seems pretty good. I haven't been able to put it down since starting and its been a bit since an rpg was this engaging (especially considering that all I've been doing is hitting O!!!).

Maybe Xenosaga...doesn't suck?

Amir0x

Banned
this is... wait, what?

oh no, you won't fool me Bebpo! I know what this is... a trap to get us suckers to buy another Xenosaga game so you can laugh behind our backs. You're sitting pretty in Japan, with sp0rsks and duckroll and whoever, just laughing!

Well you won't fool me this time! No sir!

duckroll

Awesome! This is a great game! With changing market conditions, I am now offering my Asian XS Ep3 + Pre-order bonus disc for Fifty US Dollars (shipping not included)! If you add a mere -FIVE- US Dollars, I'll throw XS Ep2 Asian in too! :D

Remember, this game is ENDORSED by the RPG Overlord! This is a killer deal! Get it today! ^_^

Tabris

Good to hear :)

Wonder what you will end on. You guys flip flop on these games often. So I eagerly await to hear what you think after you beat it and want to know whether the series is 100% ending and there's no suprise to be continued.

duckroll

Okay, since you guys love me to flip flop so much. I'm going to make a bowl of instant ramen, and then play as many hours of XS3 as I can today and see if my opinion changes. If it does, I'll post real impressions and those that could have gotten a cheap game lose. If they don't, then the offer stands! :lol

Posting this in the other thread too.

Zeed

Banned
duckroll said:
Awesome! This is a great game! With changing market conditions, I am now offering my Asian XS Ep3 + Pre-order bonus disc for Fifty US Dollars (shipping not included)! If you add a mere -FIVE- US Dollars, I'll throw XS Ep2 Asian in too! :D

Remember, this game is ENDORSED by the RPG Overlord! This is a killer deal! Get it today! ^_^
ItsATrap.jpg

Tabris

Himuro said:
People say they flip flop. I say they truly understand the games they play unlike other people who think games are consistently good or consistently bad with nothing in the middle. Especially with rpgs, sometimes they're good for most of the game and then they go to shit. Some times it's the other way around.

Being open minded and honest = flip flopper

Thinking the entirety of a game is good/bad when it's really not and dismissing the game/sucking the game's tit = normal, average, casual fan and the way we should all strive to be.

Wait what? Non gamers ftl.

I think it's just a case that I can look past a game's flaws easier than other people if I enjoy the elements I was looking for.

Like Xenosaga Episode II. The first part of the second disc was really brutal to play through but I had enjoyed what they did at the end of disc one and continued on. I was treated to a very cool second half to disc two and was able to look past what I played through to have a good opinion of the game.

Nope, the next 5+ hours consist of walking around a couple of locations and tapping O to advance fully-voiced text boxes (there aren't really that many 'real' cutscenes in the game so the story is 99% pushed through "press O to advance" text boxes").

In hindsight, maybe they should have done some of this from the beginning (not 99% and not 5 hours at the start, though, please). If they'd been judicious about fully animating scenes in ep 1, maybe the game could have been finished as intended, there wouldn't have been an ep 2 consisting of the leftovers, and the series would be healthier.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I enjoyed XS1. I'm willing to believe that XS3 is good...for what it is. I'm looking forward to the english version. This is one game I won't even bother to play (or watch, rather), in japanese. My japanese is NOT that good.

Ponn

Banned
I loved Xenogears. Just like Bepo said though I played the first 6 hours of Xenosaga and was so disappointed in the CG movie fest it was. I didn't feel anything for it like Xenogears. I have been so tempted by the dark side though with Xenosaga 3 coming out to buy Xenosaga 1 and 2 on the cheap and give it one more try.

john tv

I actually look forward to Bebpo's up and down impressions of every major RPG that hits the market. It's fun to try and guess which side he'll land on. :)

For Xeno, I'm going to go against the grain and bet on "positive" :)

Link1110

5 hrs of introduction dialogue? Is this not DQ7?

It isn't. DQ7 only had 3 hours of battle-less intro, but at least it had a dungeon with puzzles in there. :D XS3 sounds like the worst XS yet.

Link1110 said:
It isn't. DQ7 only had 3 hours of battle-less intro, but at least it had a dungeon with puzzles in there. :D XS3 sounds like the worst XS yet.

How? He just said the beginning has great dungeons as well.

Shouta

john tv said:
I actually look forward to Bebpo's up and down impressions of every major RPG that hits the market. It's fun to try and guess which side he'll land on. :)

For Xeno, I'm going to go against the grain and bet on "positive" :)

You make it sound like you have a betting pool set up for it. :lol

Buggy Loop

I liked XS1, never played XS2 because of the d00med threads about it but i think i should've anyway, probably gonna play it sometime this summer. XS3 seems nice, i dont mind lots of cutscenes, as long as its well executed.

Bebpo

Banned
FateBreaker said:
Wow, the music to that dungeon is fantastic; WAY, WAY better than Episode 2's dungeon music.

And the dungeon looks sweet too.

How's the overall game coming, Bebpo?

Good!

The graphics are REALLY GOOD. Like if they weren't on-rails I'd say they Ep3 is the best looking rpg we've seen graphically. Most of the areas are really "I want to take a screenshot" awesome. Everything is very 3d and the camera swirls around like a ride as you go through the locations (which kinda makes the on-rails thing a positive. But at the same time it feels restricted compared to say FFXII). The character graphics look kinda meh (in the real cutscenes they are fine, but the battle and non-cinematic models are more like Baten Kaitos).

The music is great too. Yuki Kajiura is doing an excellent job so far, though like ep1/2 its mixed in really bad. During dungeons its fine (Besides the footsteps drowning the music out), but in the real cutscenes the music is SUPER LOW so whenever there is action you can barely hear it.

Oh and the mecha dungeons feel more like Xenogears than anything in ep1/2.

Bebpo said:
The music is great too. Yuki Kajiura is doing an excellent job so far, though like ep1/2 its mixed in really bad. During dungeons its fine (Besides the footsteps drowning the music out), but in the real cutscenes the music is SUPER LOW so whenever there is action you can barely hear it. /QUOTE]

Great to hear so far! This is Kajiura's first full videogame she has composed, correct?

demi

Zyid said:
My apologies, I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. Sorry.

It's funny, relax, they're just offended for ohhhh no reason at all -- it's common among the white otaku folk

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Uh oh. No one is buying duck's copy so he's getting pissed :p

I was googling for the right image to use, and while I didn't find it, I did find out why they didn't buy it! They must have found this image too! :lol

img007.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Damn, next month already!?

Pretty nice considering Episode 2 took like a year...

Bebpo

Banned
Ughh...5am...must stop playing...so...addicting.

We shall see how the story pans out, but as of near the end of the first disc XS ep3 is the most page-turner-cant-put-down rpg of 2006.

and probably the most entertaining one too :p

Top Bottom