• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss William Friedkin

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
One of my favorite directors of all time. I hate just dumping a bunch of vids into a thread but fuck it. This man I put right up there with Kubrick, but he was way cooler.

Sorcerer was Tangerine Dreams first soundtrack. Friedkin knew about the goodness of these dudes even before Rockstar

No fucks about giving his opinions on working with Pacino in Cruising

Exorcist era Billy would fuck you up

As a final note, nothing beats the To Live and Die in LA LA river car chase. Somehow this guy outdoes French Connection.

GTA total

God bless this man

Last edited:

Chiggs

Sorcerer is such a wonderful film. I visited the Bisti Badlands in New Mexico just to visit the spot where they filmed Roy Scheider's rig breaking down.

VkbBwtu.jpg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sorcerer is such a wonderful film. I visited the Bisti Badlands in New Mexico just to visit the spot where they filmed Roy Scheider's rig breaking down.

VkbBwtu.jpg

My dad went to college and graduated with Scheider and apparently all he did was grill him like a dork about Jaws and Sorcerer during reunions 😂

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Drive is one of my favourite films ever. It's a perfect movie.

It’s actually a really cool interview. They’re both. basically fucking with each other but Friedkin is still totally honest. Drive, or any other of Refns works aren’t Kubrick and aren’t even Friedkin. On a different cool level sure, but he’s right in saying that those movies basically will have no staying power for a long time if ever.

Edit: I do love Refns work

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man was hilarious and directed the single greatest horror movie of all time. Hell, it's one of the greatest movies period.

xrnzaaas

To stay on topic - I wish the Exorcist game came out in non-VR form. It looks pretty cool, but not cool enough for me to start thinking about picking up VR.

Roberts

When I look at photos of Friedkin I can’t help but think of Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace. Obviously, it’s a parody of many filmmakers and authors, but mostly Friedkin.

Anyway, To Live and Die in LA and Sorcerer are his best and the most effective portraits of his mean, nihilistic worldview. Watched Brink’s Job for the first time recently and it was a susprisingly fun movie.

Top Bottom