• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

abunai

Yay new thread. We sharing pics? I hope you like shitty cellphone quality ones.

img_20120802_122731p0agb.jpg
img_20120910_130242eubvz.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah but in terms of pure outrageousness having dual processors on a single board is pretty high up there!

Imagine how much much more amazing sk3tch's setup would look if those four 680s had water flowing through them. Mmmmm
I think the same thing about yours. You know, Bitspower makes blocks for the 580 LX's :)
Thats looks amazing. You happy with it?

You guys made me freak for a second thinking that BoobPhysics died in real life. Hes banned though? Perma? Thats depressing. He was an amazing help in the TW2 thread.
I'm more satisfied with it than I've been with any other case. Still buying a Little Devil PC-V7 to replace it though. That's an issue with me, not the case.

Salaadin

I'm more satisfied with it than I've been with any other case. Still buying a Little Devil PC-V7 to replace it though. That's an issue with me, not the case.

Nice. Im not sure that I need full tower but, at the same time, maybe I should just go full tower just in case.
Their mid towers look great too, though.

mkenyon

Banned
Two weeks. Looking to come in around $350. The killer feature for me is being able to mount bay devices anywhere along the top and front. You can even have a rad in the front of the case and maintain all of the HDD trays due to some brilliant spacing. Definitely like it a lot more than the CaseLabs SM8.

Stubo

Put my 2 new Noctua NF-F12 fans in earlier, running crazy quiet and slightly cooler than before, excellent.

I owe you guys a photo since you've given me valuable advice and without this thread I may not have been tempted to building so soon. Excuse the terrible cable jungle near the PSU :(

ref46l.jpg

Anton668

A: Love that new thread smell

B: Thanks for the help for the current build

C: Got the new build and upgraded sys done. took too long to get my sons copy of win else would have been done days ago...

D: will post pics soon(er or later)

E: will post comparison pics of the small, medium, and "holy shit!! dont let that thing fall on the children!!" cases as well

mkenyon

Banned
·feist·;42606920 said:
Not one, but two optical drives in 2012. Haz is a pirate, confirmed.

Tried to warn GAF a year and a half ago...
I've embraced it. I think I have like 6 cases without any parts in them around the house. About to be 8.

*edit* read through the rest of that page you linked. The Bulldozer hope makes me really really sad in retrospect.

MrBig

I've embraced it. I think I have like 6 cases without any parts in them around the house. About to be 8.

Making a custom desk to encase your rig would be an interesting project. Might finally give you something you're satisfied with if you build it yourself

mkenyon

Banned
Making a custom desk to encase your build would be an interesting project. Might finally give you something you're satisfied with if you build it yourself
Nah, I like more access to my hardware. Plus, RedHarbinger already exists and would make me feel inadequate.

I keep going back and forth on finally going all out and getting the tools to start testing. Once I migrate the R4 to a video capture device only, I might move my parts to a test bench with a full on suite of Aquacomputer equipment, dB meters, anemometer, etc. I'm a decent writer (though I lack on the science know-how, Liberal Arts school grad), might as well start getting paid or at least reduce the budget strain my sickness creates.

Razek

Banned
I always wondered what the [part 1] referred to in the title of the other thread. I see now you just meant OT1 and OT2.

Bit the bullet on a new system - the parts are enroute to me.

Corsair 500R White case
212 Hyper Plus Heatsink
i5 3570K
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
8 Gigs of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3
Samsung DVD drive
WD Caviar Black 1 TB
and an Antec 450 Watt PSU

Will be transferring over my videocard from my current build - been awhile since I've built a computer. Should be fun.

ghibli99

Thanks for this thread. The different level builds are really helpful to see. I tend to buy a new rig every 5+ years or so, so by the time I'm ready, I usually have no idea where to start. Again, appreciate everyone's effort and contributions here.

So can anyone recommend some good fans for my build posted above? I've heard the stock fans in the 500R aren't the best - mostly looking for things that will move a decent amount of air that aren't too loud.

beje

Banned
Cable management guide in the OP. Takes an hour or two, and you'll love it afterwards. I'll bet you money your temps will drop too.

I should do it too. Main problem is that I don't remember if my case allows routing cables behind the mobo. I'd check it now but I'm not at home until Saturday. Will definitely do it if I'm able. It's a Thermaltake, very simmilar to the V9 (side window in X and all, and the interior is exactly the same) but without the top controls. Can't find one in google images for my life :\

Mangotron

Here's a pic of mine after the best cable management I can do in this case (dropped the temps 4C!) I tucked those red and yellow ones away after I found more ties.

And now for some pictures of the tackiest case ever made.

Yes, the fan filters are spider webs and the cutout is the PC equivalent of a tramp stamp

But wait, we're not done!

The front is a Transformer!

Anyway, some specs.

AMD 8150 @ 4.2GHz, stock voltage 22x multiplier, 26c idle, 56c load.
AMD 6950 2GB
AsRock 970 Extreme 3
Rocketfish Cooler (Rebaged Cooler Master RR-910)
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
1TB/250GB Storage Drives

mkenyon

Banned
Is a gaming HTPC a good idea?
Yes. Hopefully we'll have some updates in the OP that will have parts listed tonight. It'll be under the 'Small Form Factor' column.

The trade offs are that you end up paying a premium, you have to be very picky if you don't want it to be loud, and you are limited on expansion slots. $100 mobo becomes $150, $50 case becomes $100, etc. It all adds up quickly.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just got a new PC

Coolermaster HAF-X
Asus rampage formula iv extreme (EXPENSIVE but love it)
A massive noctua HSF (my options were kinda limited for an LGA2011)
Core i7 3820
64 GB DDR3 quad channel ram (mushkin)
Salvaged a radeon 6870 for the time being
Soundblaster recon3d with dock (for headphone amping)

Plan to get:
New video card (likely ati 8000 series)
A solid state raid array
Cintiq
A new 30" dell to replace my current one

MrBig

BTW Hazaro you can PM me with any graphics requests for headers or anything you need when you restructure the op

sk3tch

Yeah but in terms of pure outrageousness having dual processors on a single board is pretty high up there!

Imagine how much much more amazing sk3tch's setup would look if those four 680s had water flowing through them. Mmmmm

That's why I upgraded my PSU. EVGA NEX 1500..."OCs" to 1650W if you put it on 230VAC or higher. I've got 240VAC now run to the rig. :) Will be watercooling sometime later this year. First, I have a GTX 690 en route for my HTPC and the old HTPC is going to my son.

(click to enlarge)

(those aren't my hands...haha).

mkenyon

Banned
Whats your total system draw at load? I know classifieds at stock clocks are like 160-180W at load, no idea how hungry they are when OC'd though.

beje

Banned
Found it! It was the Thermaltake M5. And no, I cannot do much with it regarding cables. Just the CPU power has to be router through a small dent in the GFX because it was the only way to reach the plug so go figure... well, at least I'll arm myself with some zip ties and do my best.

Blasty

Yes. Hopefully we'll have some updates in the OP that will have parts listed tonight. It'll be under the 'Small Form Factor' column.

The trade offs are that you end up paying a premium, you have to be very picky if you don't want it to be loud, and you are limited on expansion slots. $100 mobo becomes $150, $50 case becomes $100, etc. It all adds up quickly.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I'd love to play certain PC games on my TV, but I can't be bothered to constantly hook it up to the TV and then back to my monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

sk3tch

Whats your total system draw at load? I know classifieds at stock clocks are like 160-180W at load, no idea how hungry they are when OC'd though.

My max so far has only been 855W. That's stock clocks on the 680 Classifieds (had an EVBot die on me so it was off for RMA) and my 3960x at 4.5 GHz (1.48v). However, the EVGA SuperNova software is notoriously "off" - so I'd say give or take 50W on that reading. Better than nothing, I say.

Wow. Having a plug like that is a little dangerous and certainly not to code!

It should be. Done by a professional electrician who happens to be a good buddy. We traded labor. You just can't plug anything into it that isn't 240V. :)

mkenyon

Banned
Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I'd love to play certain PC games on my TV, but I can't be bothered to constantly hook it up to the TV and then back to my monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.
I think the baseline one that I was looking at was around a grand, but with a 3570K, good cooler, single SSD, and 7870.

kennah

There is no way it is a regular outlet and is code. It should be a keyed outlet so 120v things physically can't be plugged into it.

But otherwise - super awesome :)

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Pics of my little mid-tower + desk...

Built it when Sandy Bridge CPUs were just coming out (remember that snowstorm holding up everyone's parts? yeah...) but have added a couple upgrades here and there.

Xigmatek Asgard II
Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (CM Hyper 212+)
Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
16gb Corsair XMS DDR3-1600
Asus Xonar DG

AkIRA_22

Hazaro you're a pro, why are you HDDs back to front?

Also my current setup same case but with a single water cooled 7970 max OC and a 4GHz i7-930 (I was going to go Ivy but will wait for haswel) thinking of a second 7970 but with rumours of a powerful and cheap 8000 series I will wait a few months. I'm in no rush, this PC plays everything at max on my 30" Dell. The 7970 is an amazing card at high resolution, couldn't be happier.

DSC_0139.jpg

kennah

Oh probably everything but the outlet is fine. But the standard American aren't really made to take that kinda juice. I'd check to see If it gets warm from time to time.

A keyed outlet with a modified psu cable would probably be safer.

But. This kiNda stuff is part of my job so we tend to go overboard on safety. If you got a professional to do it you're probably ok.

sk3tch

Oh probably everything but the outlet is fine. But the standard American aren't really made to take that kinda juice. I'd check to see If it gets warm from time to time.

A keyed outlet with a modified psu cable would probably be safer.

But. This kiNda stuff is part of my job so we tend to go overboard on safety. If you got a professional to do it you're probably ok.

Cool. Yeah, he's a certified electrician and now he's a PM. We added an add'l box for this, even. $200 in parts and 6 hours of free labor. Can't beat that. :)

He's adding a ground at the box next. It's the only way to get this baby to 1650W is to juice it to 240VAC. The PSU cable is 12 gauge and is never warm.

Shambles

Cool. Yeah, he's a certified electrician and now he's a PM. We added an add'l box for this, even. $200 in parts and 6 hours of free labor. Can't beat that. :)

He's adding a ground at the box next. It's the only way to get this baby to 1650W is to juice it to 240VAC. The PSU cable is 12 gauge and is never warm.

I can't wait for someone to try to plug in their phone charger to that thing :D At least the charger will blow before they are likely to connect their phone to the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom