• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

evanft

As someone who has both and have tested several games using both on a couple of different CPUs I can honestly say if its for gaming only the increase in FPS just isnt worth the hassle.

Now if you are working with other programs that can really use the extra RAM then maybe.

Plus right now I would kind of wait for the incoming 3080ti

The thing is that I can sell the 3080 for $1500 without much hassle, so it's effectively a zero cost upgrade.

What are people using to track right now? What's the hot Discord group or app?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The thing is that I can sell the 3080 for $1500 without much hassle, so it's effectively a zero cost upgrade.

I get the financial decision I was just referring to the troubles of searching for a 3090 and actually unloading the 3080.

Buggy Loop

lol nope. honestly the best bet is to wait for next generation of cards but of course by that time whatever parts you've already bought will be outdated with DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 around the corner which means new CPU, new motherboard, new ram, new SSD, new GPU, etc. outside the pandemic + chip shortage it is still a bad time to build a new PC with new tech coming soon. the chip shortage is gonna wreck 2022 as well it seems and a lot of businesses won't be so quick to return to working in offices. DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 is likely gonna come out in 2022 with new graphics cards either late 2022 or early 2023. the best time to build a PC won't be for a long while yet probably late 2023 is my guess.

it makes no sense to have Screen Space Reflections enabled with RT Reflections. disable SSR and enable RT Reflections. it's the same with Cyberpunk. if you enable RTX you turn off SSR + Ambient Occlusion because RTX deals with them both. you're just wasting performance having rastorization SSR/AO and raytracing SSR/AO enabled at the same time.

Disabling SSR and then enabling RT gives a totally different look , and it does not look right at all. Maybe I can take screenshots later tonight. But it seems broken. Like, the gold looking flanges on the wood walls, with SSR off but RT on, they don’t even look shiny or golden anymore. And also it does not look like Digital foundry’s video on control anymore.

It seems it’s a broken setting. The game says that SSR is disabled when RT is enabled, but if you are a poor SOB who happened to turn OFF SSR and then enable RT, well the game looks broken. No more reflection on the walls, floor, no shiny ornements. It’s really weird.

dave_d

Hell, if you mine on it you'd probably be better off doing the upgrade.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm trying to work up the motivation to hunt down a RTX 3000 card. Anybody have luck recently, or any advice. So far I've:
-Bookmarked a couple live feeds of bot trackers checking inventory.
-Been doing the Newegg Shuffle contests
-Set alerts on NowInStock
-Read guides on Reddit

I'd love a 3060ti, 3070, or even 3080 if I had to...but wouldn't we all. Maybe I'll have luck with the LHR cards. The girl at Best Buy I asked didn't know anything about incoming stock.

Last edited:

small_law

I'm trying to work up the motivation to hunt down a RTX 3000 card. Anybody have luck recently, or any advice. So far I've:
-Bookmarked a couple live feeds of bot trackers checking inventory.
-Been doing the Newegg Shuffle contests
-Set alerts on NowInStock
-Read guides on Reddit

I'd love a 3060ti, 3070, or even 3080 if I had to...but wouldn't we all. Maybe I'll have luck with the LHR cards. The girl at Best Buy I asked didn't know anything about incoming stock.
It took from September until January for me to find a 3090 at micro center, but I got an EVGA FTW3. The key is persistence at retail locations that stock the cards. if you've got anybody that sells PC parts around you, you got to be popping in there a couple times a week. online is such a fucking chaotic mess it's not worth it.

Guys, two quick questions:

- is a Deepcool Gammaxx C40 enough for a 5800x (no OC) or should I invest a little more in the cooler?
- is Boostboxx is a good brand for PSU's? I had never heard of them but they seem to get good reviews (from what I can understand of German at least)

GreatnessRD

Guys, two quick questions:

- is a Deepcool Gammaxx C40 enough for a 5800x (no OC) or should I invest a little more in the cooler?
- is Boostboxx is a good brand for PSU's? I had never heard of them but they seem to get good reviews (from what I can understand of German at least)
I wouldn't put any faith into a 92mm cooler being able to cool the 5800x. That thing can get toasty. I'd say grab you the Noctua NH-U12S its like $70 USD. Personally don't know anything about Boostboxx. If you head over to Linus Tech tip forums, they have a PSU tier list that might be of use to you. Good luck on your search and purchases, though!

I wouldn't put any faith into a 92mm cooler being able to cool the 5800x. That thing can get toasty. I'd say grab you the Noctua NH-U12S its like $70 USD. Personally don't know anything about Boostboxx. If you head over to Linus Tech tip forums, they have a PSU tier list that might be of use to you. Good luck on your search and purchases, though!
Thanks. The tdp seemed to be more than enough, but better safe than sorry.
Same with the PSU, I'll just grab a 650W Corsair even if it costs a little more - what's 30 or 40€ when you're buying overpriced electronics already ?

longdi

Banned
new zen3+ sku coming end of the year to compete with intel new adler lake
guess it is better to wait out.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I want to go 6900 XT because it seems like the best value on paper for higher-tier setups by far, but I've heard horror stories about AMD's drivers.

Saucy Papi

I want to go 6900 XT because it seems like the best value on paper for higher-tier setups by far, but I've heard horror stories about AMD's drivers.
That certainly used to be the case but it seems to be a thing of the past. I used to do AMD only builds and definitely had more issues with them as opposed to the pre-built Intel/Nvidia combos. However, I recently bought an AMD only combo and it's been working really well so far... Even better than the Intel/Nvidia combo I bought at the beginning of the year 😐

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
How old are those stories? Sure, AMD driver used to be terrible, but afaik there hasn't been any major problem with them for years.
Didn't they break OCing functionality in 2019? I've heard other complaints about system stability issues. A friend switched from Nvidia to AMD and told me the drivers were bad enough to make him never go AMD again. Of course, this is all going to be second-hand knowledge since I haven't owned one, but it makes me wary of dropping $1k on a GPU.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Never used an AMD GPU but as far as I knew those driver issues were mainly from a couple years ago.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'd definitely like the option of a 6900 XT since it seems to do so well in benchmarks, often matching and surpassing 3090 performance.

I've been OOTL for a while since parts have been so inaccessible for so long, have CPUs also been hard to come by?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I had both GTX 1060 and RX 480 at the same time and the experience was largely the same. I preferred Nvidia's video capture quality. I've had probably a dozen AMD cards over the past decade and I think most the "driver issues" are a pre-8th Gen console deal. Some of my favorite cards have been AMD: 7870 Myst, R7 265, RX 480.

baphomet

Cards are out there if you put in the work. Hell, just randomly walking into Microcenter a few weeks back I was asked it I also wanted to grab a 3070 or 3080 since they had them in stock. That on top of the multiple I've been able to purchase online for myself and others.

If you're complaining about not being able to purchase one you're just not putting in the effort, and those who are will always get them first.

Phase

It would be mostly speculation, but anyone want to venture a guess on where the gpu market will be in 2-3 years?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cards are out there if you put in the work. Hell, just randomly walking into Microcenter a few weeks back I was asked it I also wanted to grab a 3070 or 3080 since they had them in stock. That on top of the multiple I've been able to purchase online for myself and others.

If you're complaining about not being able to purchase one you're just not putting in the effort, and those who are will always get them first.
Brophomet, I've tried to keep the faith and keep grinding, but no success. I don't have Microcenter in my state and the nearest Best Buy is 70mi. away, and they no longer field phone call in local stores. I have to drive over 2hrs just to ask if they'll have stock.

I'm doing Discord groups, video stock tracking, EVGA queue, Newegg Shuffle, and I have Best Buy saved items page on auto refresh days of alleged drops. Still nothing. It hurts, man. I need those frames for 120Hz VR.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Brophomet, I've tried to keep the faith and keep grinding, but no success. I don't have Microcenter in my state and the nearest Best Buy is 70mi. away, and they no longer field phone call in local stores. I have to drive over 2hrs just to ask if they'll have stock.

I'm doing Discord groups, video stock tracking, EVGA queue, Newegg Shuffle, and I have Best Buy saved items page on auto refresh days of alleged drops. Still nothing. It hurts, man. I need those frames for 120Hz VR.

I agree with you the actually cards are not easy to get.

The only way I have snagged the ones I have is through prebuilts via Best Buy.

Just kept the best system and had it put into a proper case with great cooling

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'd definitely like the option of a 6900 XT since it seems to do so well in benchmarks, often matching and surpassing 3090 performance.

I've been OOTL for a while since parts have been so inaccessible for so long, have CPUs also been hard to come by?

I dont think CPUs are as hard to come by. I know its not top of the line but I am building a new SSF PC and wanted to choose between a Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 5800X and both were available at MSRP.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I agree with you the actually cards are not easy to get.

The only way I have snagged the ones I have is through prebuilts via Best Buy.

Just kept the best system and had it put into a proper case with great cooling
Yeah, I'm almost to the point of just saying "fuck it" and getting a pre-built. I was hoping to land something like a 3060 Ti or 3070 without all the trouble.

I'm guessing if I wanted a 3070 Ti with true fervency I'd probably have to camp out and get there before closing the night before to stake a spot, maybe earlier.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm almost to the point of just saying "fuck it" and getting a pre-built. I was hoping to land something like a 3060 Ti or 3070 without all the trouble.

I'm guessing if I wanted a 3070 Ti with true fervency I'd probably have to camp out and get there at least before closing the night before to stake a spot, maybe earlier.

Have a buddy who owns a 3060ti prebuilt from Best Buy that he loves but he also upgraded from a 980 so a pretty nice jump.

I see his system in stock a lot there depending on how much your willing to spend

HP OMEN Gaming Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 16GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 1TB SSD Jet Black GT13-1094 - Best Buy

Danknugz

I went to sell my 2080ti on eBay and I got denied because have never sold anything and the max I could sell was 500$ usd. Shrugged and put up my old 980ti for 300$

GreatnessRD

You should be fine. I personally haven't heard many complaints on the 6000 series of AMD GPUs. Now with the 5000 series it sounded like a complete disaster, but even then it seems a low percentage is still having major problem. I'm trying for a 6800 XT, but that damned AMD Direct is a nightmare, lol

baphomet

Have an account for every site that may get stock. Either have your shipping/billing information saved into each one or just a chrome extension to autofill all of that stuff for each website. if you know something is dropping at a certain time be there and logged in, and for sites that allow you to go to your "basket" or whatever, have that opened in another tab as well. Because if you're able to add it and the site crashes or just won't load, reloading your basket may have the card in there ready to check out. Randomly check Best Buys site throughout the day. I've come across a few just doing that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I stopped by Best Buy today and asked how the 3080 Ti release went. He said there were guys lined up 23hrs in advance and 30-something cards. I'm contemplating whether it's worth overnight homelessness to get a card. You gotta have some fucked up priorities in life to be doing that sort of thing...
tenor.gif

Excess

I stopped by Best Buy today and asked how the 3080 Ti release went. He said there were guys lined up 23hrs in advance and 30-something cards. I'm contemplating whether it's worth overnight homelessness to get a card. You gotta have some fucked up priorities in life to be doing that sort of thing...
tenor.gif
I did it once, but only because I was dumbass in college. I was wasted at a party one night, and a couple of my friends had the brilliant idea at of lining up outside Toys R Us at 1AM to buy PS3's and Nintendo Wii's to hopefully sell on Ebay. As soon as the alcohol started to wear off around 5 or 6 AM in the morning, the regret started to set-in.

They only had three PS3's. I got a Wii, though. (internal pain)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Excess Excess

I waited overnight for a PS2, Wii, Switch, and XSS(also got XSX from MS online while waiting). Most of the time it wasn't too bad, but the next day I was destroyed and couldn't even muster the strength to play the damn thing.

I'm assessing the time I've spent trying to get a card online, and will spend in the future vs a one-off 24hr. burner for a 3070 Ti. Same thing with buying a pre-built and selling parts or eating the extra cost. We'll see. This is the worst I've ever seen the GPU market.

Last edited:

Excess

Excess Excess

I waited overnight for a PS2, Wii, Switch, and XSS(also got XSX from MS online while waiting). Most of the time it wasn't too bad, but the next day I was destroyed and couldn't even muster the strength to play the damn thing.

I'm assessing the time I've spent trying to get a card online, and will spend in the future vs a one-off 24hr. burner. Same thing with buying a pre-built and selling parts or eating the extra cost. We'll see. This is the worst I've ever seen the GPU market.
Actually, my first 3080 (I know, I know) came from a brick and mortar, Microcenter. I didn't wait in line, but I was in the MC Discord one morning, and someone who was in line let us know some stock came in. A few of us kept asking how many came in, and we had reason to believe there may be one or two not claimed. I rushed over there during work hours and got the very last one. I eventually ended up getting lucky and got an FE from BB a few weeks later. I sold the Gigabyte thereafter.

But if you have a Microcenter around, it may be a better to keep your ear to the floor on that, instead.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Hi guys, so I just bought a new laptop (with a 3060) and everything is good and dandy except when I try to scroll through the xbox gamepass app, whenever I'm in there scrolling through games my screen will turn off then back on, as if it restarted. At first I thought it was an xbox app issue only but then I tried steam and the same thing happened.

Anyone got any idea what this could be? Literally took it out of the box, fresh windows install, drivers up to date both on windows and on Nvidia app itself. Laptop works flawlessly except for that.

Tried to search all over the place but found nothing, if anyone has dealt with this before and knows a fix let me know before i go crazy haha. I tried turning off VRR and freesync in case it was that (144hz display) but the problem persists. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Actually, my first 3080 (I know, I know) came from a brick and mortar, Microcenter. I didn't wait in line, but I was in the MC Discord one morning, and someone who was in line let us know some stock came in. A few of us kept asking how many came in, and we had reason to believe there may be one or two not claimed. I rushed over there during work hours and got the very last one. I eventually ended up getting lucky and got an FE from BB a few weeks later. I sold the Gigabyte thereafter.

But if you have a Microcenter around, it may be a better to keep your ear to the floor on that, instead.
That's what people have been telling me. Unfortunately, we don't have Microcenter in Oregon. Best Buy is the best we have, but even that's 70mi away and they no longer field calls in-store.

I was passing through today and decided to do a little sleuthing in regards to the 3080 Ti release and the upcoming 3070 Ti. Effectively confirmed my suspicions that I'd need at least a 24hr jump to guarantee myself a 3070 Ti. That's deviant behavior and I won't stand for it...
ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

Filth

Gentleman as an owner of a 3090 and a 9900k overclocked. Whats my next cpu upgrade. Should i wait or come over to the amd side? I game and stream all from one pc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Gentleman as an owner of a 3090 and a 9900k overclocked. Whats my next cpu upgrade. Should i wait or come over to the amd side? I game and stream all from one pc.

Game and stream from same PC I 100% say AMD.

Then it just depends on your budget

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I got cash. What sucks is id have to get a new mb. New waterblock for amd chip lol. $$$$$ :(

I dont stream when I game but honestly I can not feel any difference between my 2 systems unless they are sitting side by side.

I have purposely played the same games but on different days on my 2 systems and I think the 11900k is a great CPU.

My 2 rigs are a 3090 5950x (main gaming rig) and a 3080 11900k

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

If you own a 9900K I gues your next upgrade will also be high end. For simple gaming and streaming I dont think you will have any issues with a high end chip from Intel or AMD. I think AMD will give you the advantage only for tasks that really need all those extra cores and threads.

I game and stream from my 7700K at the same time I watch 3+ streams from friends servers and also might have a sports game streaming on my computer at the same time, never had issues.

Excess

I got cash. What sucks is id have to get a new mb. New waterblock for amd chip lol. $$$$$ :(
Just to add: You'll have to do this with Intel anyway. Also, I'd love to tell you if you at least move to AMD, you'll be able to upgrade the chip without needing a new mobo and block, but the current AM4 socket will be replaced for the next gen.

Maybe wait for Zen 4, if you can. AMD's board compatibility is more consumer-friendly.

Danknugz

Hi guys, so I just bought a new laptop (with a 3060) and everything is good and dandy except when I try to scroll through the xbox gamepass app, whenever I'm in there scrolling through games my screen will turn off then back on, as if it restarted. At first I thought it was an xbox app issue only but then I tried steam and the same thing happened.

Anyone got any idea what this could be? Literally took it out of the box, fresh windows install, drivers up to date both on windows and on Nvidia app itself. Laptop works flawlessly except for that.

Tried to search all over the place but found nothing, if anyone has dealt with this before and knows a fix let me know before i go crazy haha. I tried turning off VRR and freesync in case it was that (144hz display) but the problem persists. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
It sounds like it’s switching between the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics depending on the load. there should be a setting in either nvidia control panel or wherever your integrated graphics config to use only the dedicated graphics and then it won’t switch back and forth.

Danknugz

My system is worse bottleneck (6700k with 3090) but waiting for the new intel chips and pci 5.0, might even sit out alder lake.

Top Bottom