• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I now understand why some of you have become a bit cynical towards games media.

Zakalwe

Banned
That was only one example. It wasn't the end all be all for the point of the thread. I've already addressed this.

And still there's nothing thread worthy here.

I would agree with almost everything that's been said, I think this game is fantastic.

It's called a difference of opinion, it's certainly not a reason to mistrust the games industry.

harSon

Banned
Film critics usually base their reviews on the merits of the film they are reviewing and don't give a film a good score just because it's marketed as a summer blockbuster.

Yeah, they do. Maybe if we were talking about old school film journalism, but with the internet age and the move to more blog styled film journalism sites like /Film, film journalism has basically morphed to become one in the same as game journalism at this point. It's definitely taken a few steps back over recent years. Hell, it's not uncommon for me to read a positive film review with the top and side banners housing advertisements for the movie that's currently being reviewed.

jdmonmou

Film critics usually base their reviews on the merits of the film they are reviewing and don't give a film a good score just because it's marketed as a summer blockbuster.

That's not true. The film critic industry is infinitely more corrupt than video game reviews. Smaller movie critics often praise terrible movies just so their quotes are featured in advertisements.

Etnos

Banned
gaming-edgemagazine-ps3.jpg

No, thanks.

Good to see Titanfall vitriolic cynicism HAS NOTHING to do with it being a console exclusive right guys?

cloaked console war nonsense, at least some people is being honest about it.

Thorgi

I don't trust them to tell us the truth about games. I trust GAF and really wish we have an official preview/review side of the house.

I don't trust GAF because so many threads devolve into mindless fanboy wars about resolution and frame rate and how one side is the Rebellion and the other is the Empire.

Jedi2016

I think previews are worse. Reviews are usually of a complete game. Previews are usually written about unfinished games that are tailored to look great even if the rest of the game isn't.
You're right. Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing a single preview in the last several years that actually spoke negatively about any game. Even the apparently "unbiased" outside previews are overflowing with the same marketing terminology and hype that the publishers themselves use to try to sell the game. See Thief for an example.

All he has to do is post one tweet with a few buzzwords and we are all over it. It's partially our fault that he gets us hyped so easily.

Nintendo says fuck all and we're hyped for Nintendo Direct megaton announcements every time.

Yeah im done getting myself hyped up for shit. Especially by Keighley. Im already making a list.

-Keighley
-Shahid i like the guy but he really overhypes the smallest things.
-Nintendo anything.
-Valve

The list will probably keep growing

In my opinion the games media is largely a joke, it's laughable and payed off by games PR people which Marcus Beer can attest to. You're basically pampering the people in the industry who review your product. For instance, my dad is a Psychiatrist and before they got this lobbying bill(which he helped pass) passed he was treated to stake dinners on a regular basis and gift cards, and this, just to use these companies products.

Jedi2016

I don't trust GAF because so many threads devolve into mindless fanboy wars about resolution and frame rate and how one side is the Rebellion and the other is the Empire.
Only when it comes to which version to buy, assuming you even own both consoles and have a choice. What we're talking about here is whether to even waste money buying the game in the first place, regardless of platform. And yes, I trust GAF on this front.

Thorgi

You're right. Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing a single preview in the last several years that actually spoke negatively about any game. Even the apparently "unbiased" outside previews are overflowing with the same marketing terminology and hype that the publishers themselves use to try to sell the game. See Thief for an example.

Maybe we're reading different sites but the previews I've read for Thief have been lukewarm or negative.

FranXico

Yeah im done getting myself hyped up for shit. Especially by Keighley. Im already making a list.

-Keighley
-Shahid i like the guy but he really overhypes the smallest things.
-Nintendo anything.
-Valve

The list will probably keep growing

Shahid is very passionate about indie games and games development, you just need to take some of his tweets a bit more lightly.

Mooreberg

It has been awful for a while. But between forums and video focused sources (Gamersyde, YouTube, etc) there is really no need to patronize them anymore.

cfresh

Neo Member
The games media is just another division of the big publisher's marketing department, plain and simple. It's why no major outlet has nothing bad to say about Titanfall. It's why they downplayed the power differences between the Xbox One and PS4. It's why we get called "entitled" when we complain. So on and so on. Once you come to that realization everything will make sense.

FourMyle

On one end you have journalists who will overhype the hell out of everything new because doing so makes them money, and on the other end you have rabid fanboys who will overhype the hell out of everything connected to their object of obsession because they are are too emotionally invested (that whole "8.8" debacle made me embarrassed that I ever touched a video game). So in the end, it is always better to take things coming from the mouths of journalists and forum warriors alike with a grain of salt.

Jedi2016

Maybe we're reading different sites but the previews I've read for Thief have been lukewarm or negative.
Hm. Apparently we are, because most of the previews I've seen (mostly videos) are just reading off a PR sheet that the publisher gave them. Amazing deep gameplay, ultimate freedom to play the game any way you want, etc. I fully expect at least an 8 or 8.5 from Gametrailers.

Yeah, they do. Maybe if we were talking about old school film journalism, but with the internet age and the move to more blog styled film journalism sites like /Film, film journalism has basically morphed to become one in the same as game journalism at this point. It's definitely taken a few steps back over recent years. Hell, it's not uncommon for me to read a positive film review with the top and side banners housing advertisements for the movie that's currently being reviewed.

That's more of an adsense thing. It's targeted advertising and not controlled by the website, but the ad host.

That's not true. The film critic industry is infinitely more corrupt than video game reviews. Smaller movie critics often praise terrible movies just so their quotes are featured in advertisements.

People like Armond White are the joke of their industry, much like Arthur Gies in the gaming industry. A site like IGN doing this would've been like Roger Ebert or Richard Roeper doing it, which would never happen. It makes it even more pronounced in the games industry when there are so few big sites out there to get your gaming reviews.

Etnos

Banned
I think it has to do with it being ugly as sin and the bots being horrible.

Yeah, I'm not generalising some people may honestly not like it.. happens with every game, different games stroke different flavours for different people, nothing wrong about that.

Now I rarely see so many people actively trying to discredit a game with so much energy, also remain me: Why would you put a giant PS4 picture because a Titanfall comment done by Geoff?

Portugeezer

The games media is just another division of the big publisher's marketing department, plain and simple. It's why no major outlet has nothing bad to say about Titanfall. It's why they downplayed the power differences between the Xbox One and PS4. It's why we get called "entitled" when we complain. So on and so on. Once you come to that realization everything will make sense.

I am sure a bit part of that is because a lot of them would want to work for game companies, which becomes a problem. How many IGN people moved on to work for game companies? A few from what I remember.

I couldn't care less what the media thinks about games as they're all paid off and will never be honest. That's why I visit GAF because here I can see what real gamers actually think.

I don't think gaming media has been honest since maybe the 1990's when magazines still existed.

Thorgi

Hm. Apparently we are, because most of the previews I've seen (mostly videos) are just reading off a PR sheet that the publisher gave them. Amazing deep gameplay, ultimate freedom to play the game any way you want, etc. I fully expect at least an 8 or 8.5 from Gametrailers.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/17/thief-eidos-words-vs-my-e3-playthrough/

Also, Giant Bomb talked about the game several times, from their morning show to the Bombcast. Every time, it's been "It's straight-up bad" or "I don't have much hope for this."

Mackins

On one end you have journalists who will overhype the hell out of everything new because doing so makes them money, and on the other end you have rabid fanboys who will overhype the hell out of everything connected to their object of obsession because they are are too emotionally invested (that whole "8.8" debacle made me embarrassed that I ever touched a video game). So in the end, it is always better to take things coming from the mouths of journalists and forum warriors alike with a grain of salt.

What is this 8.8 debacle of which you speak?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Most games journalists lack integrity. The fact that Titanfall is a MS exclusive EA game should automatically cause alarm bells to ring when reading previews or reviews of the game. Those two companies are notorious for paying off journalists.

I can't totally blame journalists either. If they want the latest preview build or early review copy, they need to pander to these companies.

In this case, I really think the law should step in.

Elitro

You need to know the sites and how they operate. A single digit won't tell you as much as you may think, you need to know who reviews it as well.

Personally i like to see the scores, to get a feel for the overall impression the game has caused. But now i also consider player reviews and streams, which is something i didn't really consider before and only looked up to site reviews.

It's not about becoming a negative nancy, is more like becoming more aware imo.

erawsd

You should be cynical toward any media.

All the bullshit you see going down in the gaming media is nothing compared to other industries who have perfected all these methods decades ago.

The only gaming site I pay any attention to on a regular basis is Giantbomb and its because there a lot less emphasis on review scores and hype, and they tend to be pretty honest about their bias.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This quote from IGN's Titanfall preview cracks me up every time:

You WILL buy an XBO for Titanfall, even if you have a PC capable rig for it, because REASONS! Xbox ecosystem! YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK!

Of course people will interpret calling out absurd self-perpetuating media driven overhype as a critique of Titanfall's quality, but it's not. I said this same shit over the ridiculous way IGN jerked off all over GTA5 during its Grand Theft Auto week.

There is no such thing as perspective apparently with these guys.

How can you argue with comfy couch?

GetemMa

That's nothing OP.

I saw one lady from IGN UK or IGN Australia, I can't remember which, who was talking about Titanfall at E3 and if I recall correctly she said something like

"My hands were shaking...so breathtaking"

Embarrassing.

The industry has it's own cheer leading squad.

Even though the marketing department and writing department are separate, I refuse to believe that ads all over the side of websites aren't affecting something.

Publishers demand certain content in previews and reviews, the way some of them read makes it impossible that this isn't the case.
Websites either comply and get future ad money, previews, exclusives, other perks or they refuse and get blackballed, don't get games to review.

I think most people on these sites are well aware that savvy people will know this is the case, but it's the majority who think a preview is supposed to sound like a press release.

Sanctuary

so are you saying Metacritic is about as valid?
Because you'd be right. Its a reviews aggregator, not sure why people get all worked up against it

Metacritic is only worthwhile if you completely ignore user reviews. I think the reason many get so worked up by it is because they pay too much attention to user review averages (and because that site is so popular, they are worthless thanks to all of the troll accounts). I personally prefer Gamerankings for games.

There are so few actually crappy games out there and so few ugly games out there that no one should be surprised seeing so many 7s-8s. Maybe not on your own personal cynical scale though.

In terms of overhype, the sites write exciting stories to get you to read them. Reviews typically discuss failures of the actual game when a reviewer actually has the ability to shut out the hype and concentrate on the actual product.

GetemMa

Good to see Titanfall vitriolic cynicism HAS NOTHING to do with it being a console exclusive right guys?

Meh, not really for me anyway.

I will probably get it on PC and it is really disappointing to hear that it will still look like shit because it is a half assed port from an under powered "next gen" console.

I've heard a lot of "COD with mechs with brain dead AI bots to inflate scores"

Doesn't sound too inspired but I will take part none the less.

Orayn

There are so few actually crappy games out there and so few ugly games out there that no one should be surprised seeing so many 7s-8s. Maybe not on your own personal cynical scale though.

In terms of overhype, the sites write exciting stories to get you to read them. Reviews typically discuss failures of the actual game when a reviewer actually has the ability to shut out the hype and concentrate on the actual product.

People have different levels of cynicism, but personal scales are the only ones that exist.

Thorgi

That's nothing OP.

I saw one lady from IGN UK or IGN Australia, I can't remember which, who was talking about Titanfall at E3 and if I recall correctly she said something like

"My hands were shaking...so breathtaking"

Embarrassing.

The industry has it's own cheer leading squad.

Because God forbid anyone have a reaction toward a game that doesn't fit your tidy idea of what is or isn't proper.

It doesn't but whatever makes you sleep at night. I guess TLOU hate also had nothing to do with it being a console exclusive either. Like where do you guys get this BS from. People who don't like some types of FPS can't exist all of a sudden? Wtf?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Because God forbid anyone have a reaction toward a game that doesn't fit your tidy idea of what is or isn't proper.

That comment though is cranked up ten fold though. Hands shaking? These quotes are usually trying to get on ads and game boxes it seems to me a lot of times.

The only one I have ever really loved though is "My frothing demand" from IGN over Ikaruga.

jdmonmou

That's why you don't just read a single review.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Has almost never failed to deliver for me over the last fourteen years I've been reading it.

I completely agree. Some of the post I've been reading regarding the complete lack of trust for games media is really amazing to me. There are good sites out there that have really good reviews (I use Kotaku, Giantbomb, Gametrailers, and Destructoid). I also rely on podcasts for game recommendations (Bombcast, Weekend Confirmed, Rebel FM) and use Metacritic to see what the general consensus says when I'm trying to make a decision on whether or not to buy a game. Even though some game critics don't have integrity, I feel the system as a whole works to weed out the good games from the poor.

OP:

You're fine to be cynical but I feel the quote you used in your OP is not the best example. I mean...there is a lot of stuff going on when playing the game. It took me a few hours to fully adjust to everything and a journalist only getting a few hours to preview the game (6-7 months before it was out, UI and pop-ups on screen may have been adjusted since) may not have enough time to get used to it.

Remember, these were "impressions." I'd say after only a few hours of playing an unfinished games that is a fair impression.

cfresh

Neo Member
I am sure a bit part of that is because a lot of them would want to work for game companies, which becomes a problem. How many IGN people moved on to work for game companies? A few from what I remember.

This is true. One editor landed a job at a big publisher and stated it was her dream come true. Another one got a job with a developer with zero experience in design or programming. This is just naming a few.

How are we to trust content, that's suppose to be unbiased and critical, from these outlets when they are just waiting to jump ship and join the other side?

tassletine

It's on PC as well...
And xbox ....

And it looks like an xbox game.
Which for some reason they aren't doing previews for... ?

And for 'some reason' they are releasing it a few weeks later....

I wonder why some are suspicious of this...?

To say nothing of it looking like a COD mod.

The criticisms are valid. Making a game that looks like, and plays very much like a last gen title, one which was very popular, shows that the developers aren't exactly prepared to take risks, no matter how much fun it might be. It's looks recycled. If robots in COD are what floats your boat then fine, but it had nothing to do with console wars. It looks rushed with shoddy AI.

Top Bottom