• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's shit. The fuck is this game?

EGGTR_3_670.png

So I decided to play some narrative games with my girlfriend. We played through Gone Home this morning. It was great. Every room you explore in the house has a purpose, and every item builds on the story that is being told. You learn about the parents, the sister, and the old man who was living there before you. The game hooks you from the moment you step into the house. The story progresses at a steady pace and culminates at a satisfying conclusion.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is anything but that. It seems like you have to follow a ball of light around town, but it's not quite certain. The ball of light comes and goes, sometimes doing some back and forths, leaving me confused as to what the hell I'm supposed to do. I explored off the beaten path and sometimes you find a radio or a flashback of people talking, but not always. And this is one of the many things that are frustrating. It sorta kinda feels like the game wants me to explore, but more often than not, I am not rewarded for doing so. Dead ends and uninteresting rooms/areas are aplenty. And it's made all the worse by the fucking killer slow walking speed. Oh. My. God. And yes, I knew about holding R2, and it doesn't make anything better.

The game does not build up a satisfying narration. There is no progression in the narrative. As I was walking around, all the conversations I was coming up on were completely disconnected from each other. If each of these characters have an arc and a crescendo, it is completely wasted on the player.

Frustration also comes in the form of confusion as to whether the game suffers from bugs or not. One time, during the Wendy "chapter" (if we can call it that), the ball of light stopped at some elevated point near the train rails. I looked around, found some conversations, listened to some radios, but the ball of light stayed there. Is there something I missed? Or is this a bug and I need to move on? My level of anger towards this game was reaching an untenable level, so I decided to leave the ball there and move further down the road in case this is what I needed to do. So I moved down the road... and then the game switches to the next chapter? The fuck? Now I'm in a chapter on Frank?

So I'm playing the game, not knowing if I'm playing "right", and that contributes to my irritation towards it. And that's on top of the disconnected conversations between the characters, which decidedly seem like a (shit) design choice.

Another thing that adds to the frustration. Some times, you come across a ball of light that needs to be "activated" by shuffling the controller sideways like old people do when they play Mario Kart. I have no fucking clue why I need to do that to listen on a conversation or what it adds to the narration, but I have to do it. But if it were just that, it wouldn't be an issue. No, there are actually two issues with this mechanic.

First, is that that fucking function is obtuse and doesn't work like it should. More times than once, I was shuffling the controller left and right, moving the ball, but nothing was happening. The worst was in the church, with pastor Jeremy. I was at the altar, trying my best to trigger the fucking fucker, but the game just wouldn't have it. It took well over two minutes of my stupid-ass of swinging the controller around so that I could finally listen to fucking pastor Jeremy cry about something about which I couldn't give two shits because of the terrible narration.

The second issue with this mechanic is that the game fails to communicate to the player when he needs to do it. So a lot of times, I found myself tilting the controller sideways to make a ball of light move, but it wouldn't. I didn't need to. But sometimes I had to.

So I suffered through this horseshit until some time through the Frank chapter, after maybe an hour and a half of playing. I looked at How Long To Beat to see how long this game was, and it read five hours. I checked on Metacritic to see what people were saying about it. There were some very glowing reviews (that were thinly articulated), and lots of negative reviews. One refrain was that the story was not satisfactory. There was no pay-off in the end.

So I closed the game and deleted it from my hard drive.

This game is so shit that I genuinely do not understand how some people can derive so much joy out of it. As I was reading some impressions, more than once I read something along the lines of "this is one of the most emotional games I have ever played", "I cried more than once", "So and so was my favorite character and I cried at his fate". Like, what!? How the fuck is that possible? Are these people like Brendan Frasier's character in that movie where he briefly turns into a ginger and cries at the sight of the sunset? How the fuck can this game elicit such emotions from people? I do not understand.

And yes, I read the story online. I've read about it. I very much doubt that reaching the end credits would have changed anything.

You know which game succeeds and earns the emotion it elicits from the player? Gone Home. Another "walking simulator" (I prefer the non-pejorative term light adventure game). Which I beat this very morning with my girlfriend. That game earns it. There is a narration. There is purpose. There is build-up. You get attached to the characters and the game's emotional attempts are earned.

I have not played Dear Esther, but I did play all of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, when it came out. That game is one of the best-written games I have ever played. It might even be the best. So how did The Chinese Room drop the ball so much with this game? Such a disappointment.

This game wouldn't have gotten me angry if it weren't for the shit execution of the design. It's fine that a game doesn't adhere to a linear narrative. Games can drop players in a world and have them piece together the story by themselves. But Everybody's Gone to the Rapture fails at that. Not knowing if I need to explore some corner of the world, as in not knowing if I will be rewarded for doing so or if I'll have to suffer through the slow fucking speed while walking back. Not knowing if a ball of light has to be followed or not. Not knowing if a ball of light has to be shaken sideways for the flashback to be triggered. Not knowing if a ball of light is bugged or if I truly missed something. Not knowing if I am playing the game as the designers intended me to.

If it weren't for all that shit, the game would be an inoffensive bore. But as it is, it is an offensive one.

Fuck this game.

sn00zer

This is one of those examples you point to in regards to the current atmosphere of video game communities and how they treat things they don't like.

I thought the game had brilliant writing and it explored a lot of interesting things. Also felt a lot of emotional impact but I'll admit, the game wasn't good.

The Chinese Room are fantastic at writing and their soundtracks are always stellar but I honestly think they're better suited to other mediums.

I share most of your frustrations. The walk speed, the missable story events, the wonky ball of light, etc.

However, I stuck with it and the game did manage to get some chills out of me with some events and the music. Some moments were genuinely creepy and sad to me

That said, I actually had to get pencil and paper to keep track of characters, since everybody is just a shimmering outline.

So yeah, you're justified for feeling that way.

Anung

Un Rama
The town has a wonderful sense of place, the atmosphere is excellent, the general story ideas are intriguing and the music is fantastic.

Everything else about it sucks though. Conveying characters through balls of light made it hard to follow what characters were which. I've said it before but it was like watching an episode of Emmerdale with people shining torches in my face.

The Walking speed is so painfully slow that it absolutely tanks any sense of pacing. Seriously a patch that cranks the run speed up significantly would have probably made the game way more tolerable.

Played it for like 2h. The writing was good and the story interesting. But man it's so slow. I couldn't take it any longer and stopped.
Loved Gone home though. I think the world in EGttR was too big for such a walking simulator

border

I liked Dear Esther as kind of a surreal mood piece.

But EGttR was just dreadful. Walk around at a snail's pace, listen to a tedious radio drama where you can only barely keep track of the characters.....

Juicy Bob

I'm not going to go as far as you, but I can totally sympathise with your situation.

Played Gone Home with my GF who isn't fussed about games for the most part and really enjoyed exploring everything at our own pace.

As much as I enjoy the design and visuals of Rapture, we gave up after reaching the doctors surgery because it was just so... uninvolved?

It's the only game I've literally fallen asleep while playing. It wasn't even night time. I guess it could be a good thing, if you're looking for an extremely calm game. If you want to walk down a street, but have it take an hour, this game's for you.

I didn't hate it as much as you, but the walking speed combined with a really crappy save system made me quit it. Luckily I got it for free with PS+, but I'd been excited about it before.

Afro

Haven't played Gone to Rapture, but I'm not into walking sims in which I have zero fucking clue what the narrative is about (Dear Esther). I don't like the story to be too open to interpretation. Didn't have this issue with Edith Finch or Ethan Carter though. Really enjoyed those two.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Walk speed is excruciatingly slow. Like seriously sleep inducing slow.

I'm not sure why they didn't change that as it was a major complaint when it first released.

Auctopus

I liked it, wasn't keen on the ending and the obsession on the American (i.e the worst character) but as someone whose grown up in the British countryside, I quite liked the characters.

Good things different strokes for different folks, ey?

(The walking speed is stupidly slow)

Corpekata

Banned
I didn't love the game but things like

"The game does not build up a satisfying narration. There is no progression in the narrative. As I was walking around, all the conversations I was coming up on were completely disconnected from each other. If each of these characters have an arc and a crescendo, it is completely wasted on the player."

are pretty much nonsense. There's some pretty clear character arcs and it's done fairly well when it comes to the smaller scale stories. Doesn't really coalesce as well with the overarcing plot, but I thought they did fantastic character work for well the limited time and well, no physical characters.

pa22word

I typically can enjoy the so called "walking simulators" (I still say gone home is one of the better games released that year), but I've never found this developers games to be very enjoyable. Their amnesia soft sequel type thing was pretty boring and mediocre as well, and when you look at the game it was following up if it was experienced by more people I think would have been considered one of the most disappointing games ever if they didn't know it was made by a different developer before buying it.

I think this game got caught up in ps4 list warz by people who didn't know what they were talking about when it comes to these types of games is the only reason it was hyped at all. Not saying that to be overly mean to people because this isn't a bad game at all, just I think way too many people were expecting way too much from this game at the time which set them up for disappointment when they played it.

Yeah it really is bad, the ending even is rubbish. One of those games where I truly felt like I wasted my money and I was very hyped going in.

To be honest, it made me worried (irrationally) that Edith Finch might be bad, but fortunately it was actually very good. A good example of this open ended kind of walking game done right is the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It has its issues but the story is a lot better and better told.

Arkeband

Banned
Some of the set pieces were beautiful but the walking was so slow, it wasn't worth the unknown remainder of the time it was asking of me to complete it.

If you like Emmerdale Farm you'll like this lol I enjoyed it, it was quaint as fuck and that suited me to the ground. Reminded me of Beaumaris back home :p

Afro

A good example of this open ended kind of walking game done right is the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It has its issues but the story is a lot better and better told.

Yeah, I enjoy a game more when I can actually understand the story/narrative. Dear Esther just made me feel really dumb. Had not a single clue what the guy was talking about.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Is this the one.... where the scientist lady... something something... moved her husband to the English countryside... or did he move her?... one of them was cheating... or thinking about it?... and the lights were like an alien invasion or something... and she figured it out... but nothing happened?

Yeah the lack of a visual distinction between the glowing talking heads and the disjointed narrative was a bummer. I played through to the credits and I agree with you OP.

If its any consolation, your post has piqued a flagging interest I had in Machine for Pigs. And another's post here assuaged me about similar concerns for What Remain of Edith Finch, which I have pretty much avoided because of my experiences with Everyone Has Gone to the Rapture and Left Me Here Lost and Confused and Alone.

Stopdoor

I feel like you definitely wouldn't like Dear Esther - it's pretty unguided and random in its exposition. Actually, I think some of the narration literally is randomized, adding to the sense of not having any idea what's going on.

And it's also slow, so not surprised to hear this one is similar. Gone Home was indeed great though, so I'm definitely not put off by "walking simulators".

Phamit

I stopped playing after awhile. The only thing this game has is the glowing ball and the story, but somehow it can't even handle that. The ball vanishes sometimes or it stops moving and leaves you with an unfinished part of the story, because you have to wander around so the ball keeps moving again. But then it starts a new story.

Three

Couldn't agree more. I actually kind of had an interest in the story but couldn't get myself to endure the uneventful exploring and slow pace. I actually felt physically unwell playing it too for some reason, not sure why.

Afro

Stories Untold is pretty neat and atmospheric for a text adventure (you're not walking anywhere). I only played the first chapter (demo) though.

But yeah, def. check out Edith Finch and Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Maybe Firewatch, but I thought that was a tad overrated.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I enjoy some high-concept stuff, and I agree wholeheartedly

I mean, different folks like different things, and I'm glad some had fun with it, but it's easily the most tedious thing I've attempted in recent memory

Text-only adventure games race by in comparison

EDIT
The Chinese Room really needs to step up their game, because other walking simulators are way ahead of them.
This is the bottom line, they are completely outclassed ATM and need to do better

I loved it, I liked it more than Gone Home which was a little to naive to my taste (although still good). Edith Finch is the best I've played tho and it's way more guided, you'll probably like that one OP, it's fantastic.

I couldn't finish it. I loved Firewatch but walking at the speed of molasses only to listen to glorified audio logs which don't feature the PC is booooring.

meppi

Fully agree. I tend to play just about any type of game that isn't a serious sports game.
Got it for free and tried to enjoy it but found it to be one of the most tedious, pretentious and boring pieces of shit that I've played in my 40 years.

Deleted it, along with the trophy data and I'm extremely wary of even trying other games in this "genre" now. Bah.

Was excited to play the game, but ended up having to force myself to finish it cuz it was such a slog. The slow walking speed coupled with wide open fields were a drag to walk across, and every character being the exact same balls of light made it tricky to keep track of anyone except the two lead scientists.

Left the game thinking walking sims maybe weren't for me, but then I played What Remains of Edith Finch immediately after and loved every minute.

Top Bottom