• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's shit. The fuck is this game?

kyser73

OP clearly likes to understand things, and if that understanding is challenged he has a hissy fit,

The single biggest justified criticism of this game is the walking speed.

The game provides plenty of very obvious hints about which direction to move in to find the orbs in their correct narrative sequence.

It hints how to do the tilt thing if you can't work it out by the experimentation.

While I personally didn't find the denouement particularly satisfying, Frank & Lizzie's stories are two of the loveliest, touching human tales I've read in gaming.

This is one of those examples you point to in regards to the current atmosphere of video game communities and how they treat things they don't like.

Yup. Great post. I have a hard time listening to people "critique" games like this. OP makes some very valid points, veiled by drivel that just makes them sound like an asshole.

Christ, it's not hard people

I liked it. It has its faults of course and if you dont pay attention to both the environment and getting more of the flashbacks you are going to get loss pretty easily and the movement speed will further add to the frustration. I actually wanted more flashbacks of people's reactions to the events (we got very few of them).

I still prefer the way how Gone Home and Firewatch did things, everything felt more planned and tighter. I appreciate how big Rapture is (and how beautiful it is) but they should have added more narrative/environmental storytelling since a lot of it just feels empty and a bit on rails because of the floating light.

angelic

Banned
OP clearly likes to understand things, and if that understanding is challenged he has a hissy fit,

The single biggest justified criticism of this game is the walking speed.

The game provides plenty of very obvious hints about which direction to move in to find the orbs in their correct narrative sequence.

It hints how to do the tilt thing if you can't work it out by the experimentation.

While I personally didn't find the denouement particularly satisfying, Frank & Lizzie's stories are two of the loveliest, touching human tales I've read in gaming.

thats great, but its not a game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is one of those examples you point to in regards to the current atmosphere of video game communities and how they treat things they don't like.
Yep.

Lots of valid complaints about the game overshadowed by toxic negativity.

Why should video games be treated differently? They aren't special and exempt from harsh, vulgar criticism.

I guarantee you've called a movie, book, meal, person, ect something harshly negative. Why are VGs out of bounds?

Was excited to play the game, but ended up having to force myself to finish it cuz it was such a slog. The slow walking speed coupled with wide open fields were a drag to walk across, and every character being the exact same balls of light made it tricky to keep track of anyone except the two lead scientists.

Left the game thinking walking sims maybe weren't for me, but then I played What Remains of Edith Finch immediately after and loved every minute.

yeah, not all walking sims are created equal. i've played at least a half-dozen+, & rapture's the only one that i, too, ended up forcing myself to finish (&, no, the payoff wasn't worth it). the attempts at small village realism were, for me, sabotaged by the whole observatory/project part - the 2 things just didn't gel, at all, & ended up reminding me more of a typically cheesy, low-budget, '50's b&w sci-fi movie than anything else... :) ...

as bizarre as it was, machine for pigs, which i just recently played, was a much better-realized experience. &, as everyone else's mentioned, whatever they were thinking when they opted for the painfully slow walking speed, they were completely wrong, & the fact they haven't since fixed it is astonishing...

poodaddy

I'm the total opposite OP. I played Gone Home with my wife and we were groaning and cringing at how hamfisted and on the nose the whole game was,completely lacking in subtlety and maturity while dealing with an interesting subject. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was fascinating to me and I genuinely wanted to soak up every bit of the exposition and story. It didn't feel as pretentious as Dear Esther, but it also didn't sink to the juvenile writing and delivery of Gone Home. I will say that I think the ending of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was a bit weak, but overall I greatly enjoyed the experience. Gone Home, however, was the equivalent of a Lifetime original movie; make of that what you will.

sn00zer

Why should video games be treated differently? They aren't special and exempt from harsh, vulgar criticism.

I guarantee you've called a movie, book, meal, person, ect something harshly negative. Why are VGs out of bounds?

I don't know why would assume I would think Im making a special exception for games. Generally dislike hyperbolic criticism of entertainment that uses language usually reserved for describing actual horrible things that happen in the world.

I don't know why would assume I would think Im making a special exception for games. Generally dislike hyperbolic criticism of entertainment that uses language usually reserved for describing actual horrible things that happen in the world.

i file it under 'everyone wants to be hunter thompson'. tho i'm sure it was never his intention, the poor bastard's likely laughing himself sick right now over what he's ended up subjecting all the rest of us to :) ...

Budi

For what it's worth, that was an enjoyable read so something good came out of it.
Yeah it was, from the title alone I was expecting something bit different. It did use unnecessary hyperbolic language, but it had atleast some thought and reasoning behind it, not just a quick hot take or a drive by.

No opinion on the game though, haven't played it.

The amount of swearing in thread titles is becoming as issue here on gaf...

Conveying emotion in text is made easier with colorful language. We're adults here, so get over it.

I agree that the structure and pacing of this game is, in my experience, sluggish. I couldn't make it more than 40 minutes before.i bailed.

WaterAstro

I don't get walking simulator. I don't want to hear about someone else's pretentious tale that tries to be emotional.

Journey works, if you can call it a walking simulator, because it doesn't say much and allows the visuals and audio to make the player interpret the game for themselves. It also has clever mechanics.

I think walking simulators are like visual novels, and maybe worse because visual novels actually has choice gameplay. Hard to really see the appeal of these indie walking simulators.

GRW810

I was so excited by it and bought into the hype. I didn't mind it was just a walking sim because I like story.

However, I quickly grew frustrated. The pace of movement is so slow that I hate going anywhere. The world is so beautiful and realistic yet so dull and devoid of interaction. The ball of light floats around without any apparent purpose, leading me in circles.

I did find the story quite engaging when I could progress the plot but after about two hours in total I gave up completely.

Conveying emotion in text is made easier with colorful language. We're adults here, so get over it.

I agree that the structure and pacing of this game is, in my experience, sluggish. I couldn't make it more than 40 minutes before.i bailed.

Swearing is lazy and puerile and not "colorful" at all. If you want to use colorful language, work to expand your vocabulary rather than repeatedly grabbing the low hanging fruit found on the third grade playground.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's not middle school anymore dude. No one cares.
Exactly, it's not middle school and it's completely unnecessary to swear to prove something. For all the talk about elevating discussion it never appears to apply to titles for some reason. We complain about garbage click bait articles but give ourselves a pass on doing it ourselves (not referring to op at all, just gaf in general). Swearing for nearly no reason doesn't prove a point at all. It usually takes away from your position (again, not referring to the op at all).

I think we can do better.

For sure and in lots of cases I don't disagree but it's becoming more and more common to simple drop an f bomb and then assume it will get more attention. It's lazy and doesn't help in the end. Surely there are better words than simply shit and fuck in a simple title?

Anyways, totally off topic and this thread is really not the place.

Budi

It's not middle school anymore dude. No one cares.

Yes adults swear, I have no problem with some swearing. But these comments are bit funny, as adults we should know more words than shit to describe something we don't like and not use fuck as a comma.

Jedi2016

Well, I fucking liked it.

I mean, it is what it is, like most walking simulators. I actually want to go back through it some time now that I know what happened, might be able to glean some more insight from the stories it presents.

ArjanN

The town has a wonderful sense of place, the atmosphere is excellent, the general story ideas are intriguing and the music is fantastic.

Everything else about it sucks though. Conveying characters through balls of light made it hard to follow what characters were which. I've said it before but it was like watching an episode of Emmerdale with people shining torches in my face.

The Walking speed is so painfully slow that it absolutely tanks any sense of pacing. Seriously a patch that cranks the run speed up significantly would have probably made the game way more tolerable.

Basically all this.

pa22word

Yes adults swear, I have no problem with some swearing. But these comments are bit funny, as adults we should know more words than shit to describe something we don't like and not use fuck as a comma.

This comment is even more funny, because it's conflating concern trolling with advocating an expanded vocabulary. Here's a hint: you don't have to swear if you feel it's "beneath" you. No one is forcing you to, and no one should have to not just because you believe in some antiquated bourgeoisie bullshit filter we should arbitrarily slap on our thoughts in order to appear "civilized". Also, cursing does not imply someone is lacking in a vocabulary to anyone other than a 5th grade english teacher. Even Obama called Kanye West a jackass, or is he suddenly now some "savage" you can't relate to?

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's an utter waste of time. There are similar games (Gone Home, Edith Finch, etc.) that are so much more successful at being engaging and interesting.

Fuck that

This comment is even more funny, because it's conflating concern trolling with advocating an expanded vocabulary. Here's a hint: you don't have to swear if you feel it's "beneath" you. No one is forcing you to, and no one should have to not just because you believe in some antiquated bourgeoisie bullshit filter we should arbitrarily slap on our thoughts in order to appear "civilized". Also, cursing does not imply someone is lacking in a vocabulary to anyone other than a 5th grade english teacher. Even Obama called Kanye West a jackass, or is he suddenly now some savage you can't relate to?

"Antiquated bourgeoisie bullshit filter"? There's a reason you don't find multitudinous swears and expletives in almost all of the most important discourse that has taken place throughout recorded history. If you think it's some sense of propriety that has held important thinkers from letting loose expletive-laden treatises, addresses, and debates, I'd love to see the evidence for such a contention.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This comment is even more funny, because it's conflating concern trolling with advocating an expanded vocabulary. Here's a hint: you don't have to swear if you feel it's "beneath" you. No one is forcing you to, and no one should have to not just because you believe in some antiquated bourgeoisie bullshit filter we should arbitrarily slap on our thoughts in order to appear "civilized". Also, cursing does not imply someone is lacking in a vocabulary to anyone other than a 5th grade english teacher. Even Obama called Kanye West a jackass, or is he suddenly now some "savage" you can't relate to?

I was going to just let this die as it's not the place but come on...

Anyone raising a concern with the general trend of titles here is a troll? Then you go into some kind of rediclious hyperbolic rant equating jackass to shit and fuck? Really? I honestly think it's becoming a problem on gaf. It's simply not necessary.

All I am saying is that there isn't the need to do it as much. Is it ok sometimes? Of course, but as much as we do now? I really don't think so. I think we could do better

sn00zer

Also to counter your piss poor shit opinion that can fuck right off.....poopfuck.

It's an interactive radio play, and a well performed one at that. The pacing is a bit hit or miss, but it still can pack an emotional punch when it needs to. It drags a bit in the farm section, but the slow story that unravels its secrets as you move from area to area was, in my opinion, excellent. End of chapter scenes were especially interesting, and I loved some of the more hidden stories (did you catch the story of the guy who hides in the basement but breaks his ankle as he is running down the stairs?). The slow change in tone from confused horror to acceptance I found great, and the hints of what happened scattered about environment add nice detail to unspoken stories.

K.Jack

You specifically referenced the OP as an indictment on the "current atmosphere of video game communities and how they treat things they don't like", did you not? I responded specifically to that.

You feel a game is above being referred to as shit, I understood that clearly.

The OP called it shit, then wrote fairly eloquently on how they came to that conclusion.

Is it the curse word that bothers you? That's unfairly reductive.

Also to counter your piss poor shit opinion that can fuck right off.....poopfuck.

It's an interactive radio play, and a well performed one at that. The pacing is a bit hit or miss, but it still can pack an emotional punch when it needs to. It drags a bit in the farm section, but the slow story that unravels its secrets as you move from area to area was, in my opinion, excellent. End of chapter scenes were especially interesting, and I loved some of the more hidden stories (did you catch the story of the guy who hides in the basement but breaks his ankle as he is running down the stairs?). The slow change in tone from confused horror to acceptance I found great, and the hints of what happened scattered about environment add nice detail to unspoken stories.

Oh so you're salty because he dissed a game you like. Noted.

I was going to just let this die as it's not the place but come on...

Anyone raising a concern with the general trend of titles here is a troll? Then you go into some kind of rediclious hyperbolic rant equating jackass to shit and fuck? Really? I honestly think it's becoming a problem on gaf. It's simply not necessary.

All I am saying is that there isn't the need to do it as much. Is it ok sometimes? Of course, but as much as we do now? I really don't think so. I think we could do better

But one person doing it doesn't have to be added to another.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

Lol, I laughed.

I really want to try the game as it seems to a bit of an interesting story. How much is it right now?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You specifically referenced the OP as an indictment on the "current atmosphere of video game communities and how they treat things they don't like", did you not? I responded specifically to that.

You feel a game is above being referred to as shit, I understood that clearly.

The OP called it shit, then wrote fairly eloquently on how they came to that conclusion.

Is it the curse word that bothers you? That's unfairly reductive.

Oh so you're salty because he dissed a game you like. Noted.

But one person doing it doesn't have to be added to another.

When you are viewing the community as a whole, it certainly does. Again, it's not a criticsm of anyone at all but that on a whole, we are doing it more than we need to. Anyways, this isn't the place. It's fair to disagree on this, I just expect better of people.

It was the other way around for me.
Absolutely didn't liked Gone Home, but had a "ok" time with Rapture.

I think the only "walking simulator" I liked was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
But i haven't played that many games of this genre. Any recommendations?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I love, love, love narrative driven experiences, but for some reason I just can't get into this or Gone Home. I found them to easily be two of the worst gaming experiences of my my life.

Only one I can stand is The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
the 3rd

Kusagari

Rapture is a dull, boring, bland, pretentious slog that does the worst thing a game, especially when it's a walking simulator, can do. It wastes my goddamn time.

If they wanted to make a radio play then put it out as a radio play. I don't want to move a character at 1 mph haphazardly around.

KORNdoggy

I really like it. But then I'm British and like story driven experiences so...

Only thing I didn't like was the slow walking speed. Even when "sprinting" it's very slow. But the voice work, narrative and visuals were stunning.

K.Jack

When you are viewing the community as a whole, it certainly does. Again, it's not a criticsm of anyone at all but that on a whole, we are doing it more than we need to. Anyways, this isn't the place. It's fair to disagree on this, I just expect better of people.

Expecting better implies that something wrong is happening. I guess that is where we differ.

Cursing as a display of strong emotion, in appropriate context, is fine by me.

Budi

I do swear, it's not beneath me. I don't know what made you jump to all of those conclusions when I clearly say "I have no problem with some swearing". But atleast here in Finland constant usage of fuck (vittu) in sentences is a phase many teen boys go through, kinda like excessive spitting. I wasn't really complaining about the swearing, I was just disagreeing that overuse of fuck is somehow an adult thing to do.

Is jackass really considered swearing in the US? Damn, you are sensitive bunch.

Guppeth

I had a good fucking time with it. I love the English countryside, and didn't mind the shit walking speed. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard, and probably the main reason I liked the game.

Kate and Steven were cunts but the supporting cast were good. I had a lump in my throat during the final scenes at the windmill and the holiday camp.

I disliked how easy it was to lose the 'thread' of a chapter if I explored instead of following the orbs. I missed a couple of the chapter end scenes on my first playthrough because I went the wrong way and entered the next zone early.

I played through this game. I didn't hate it, but it felt like a slog to get through. Especially trying to get all the story bits.

The ending was such crap, I couldnt buy it.
The alien was friendly and took them all to paradise where they were forever happy?
Bull fucking shit, that alien needed something. Human batteries, probably.

Top Bottom