• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's shit. The fuck is this game?

Lifeline

lol i thought i was the only one who didn't like this game

on the other day on another forum i tried to share similar sentiment and most of the posters told me

"yeah, it's not for everyone, maybe played COD game more suitable to you"

the thing is, i like "walk simulator" genre, love Life is Strange, Heavy Rain and Until Dawn to death, even i managed to finish Game of Thrones telltale game when i thought that game was so mediocre with alright story

Gone to the Rapture though, it's so boring, i just can't bring myself to finish it, i actually bit excited on the early story because the graphic was awesome, too bad that feel didn't stick long more than 1 hour

Those games are not walk simulators, they're choose your own adventure games. Walking simulators would be something like Gone Home.

I took a film studies class where we watched things like Antonioni's Blow Up, Fellini's 8 1/2, and Itami's Tampopo. I learned three things: first, the more challenging the work, the narrower the audience; second, most dilettante criticism tends toward absurd levels of melodrama; and finally, Richard Simmons was in Satyricon.

I'd like to know why and how 'I don't like X' becomes 'X is garbage and the creator(s) of X are also garbage' (see any David Cage/Tetsuya Nomura thread).

Reguardless of the negative judgements of some or even most, I'm sure the creators of Rapture were quite happy with the outcome: they won awards, sold many copies, and touched many people. We should all get to be so fulfilled in our professional lives.

Great post.

Also reminds me that I need to watch Tampopo, Criterion put out a blu ray in the UK a couple of months ago so I should really get my hands on it.

sflufan

Banned
I played it on the PC and used a trainer that allowed me to set the walking speed to whatever I wanted (don't set it higher than "5" otherwise you'll fly from one end of the map to the other and break the game) which practically eliminated by primary issue with the game.

As for the game itself, I was thoroughly engrossed by the visuals, the characters, the mystery - everything about it. It was such a better "walking simulator" experience than "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" and "Firewatch" both of which I had played immediately before it.

Oneself

I much preferred Virginia, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Soma. Oh and Kona.
EGTTR, Gone Home, Dear Esther were quite boring IMO.

angelic

Banned
Also reminds me that I need to watch Tampopo, Criterion put out a blu ray in the UK a couple of months ago so I should really get my hands on it.

manshat1.png

LayLa

4 minutes and 33 seconds of absolute silence is not music. That is the fact, no matter how much you try to assert your wrongness.

You can take your crazy stance of defending art all you like, I'm not attacking art, but a recording of silence is not music.

This is a complete misunderstanding if what 4'33" is. It's not a "recording of silence" but a live piece. Cage had been working on adding randomness and chance into his work, and 4'33" was the logical conclusion, where the musicians didn't even play and the soundtrack was provided unwittingly by the audience with their random coughs, sniffs etc. Which sounds like a intellectual joke and in a way it is, but by taking it to such an extreme it also had value in adjusting how both musicians and listeners think about music, what it is, what it can be, what it is for etc. I've been lucky enough to attend a live performance, and even though the audience was "in on it" the feeling of being in the middle of hundreds of people trying not to make a sound was electrifying! Everyone was smiling afterwards, joking with the people sitting next to them etc. An experience.

Anyway Rapture is a game, just not a good one imo. The story would have been far better served as a film, radio play, comic, puppet show ... pretty much anything other than a game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
4 minutes and 33 seconds of absolute silence is not music. That is the fact, no matter how much you try to assert your wrongness.

You can take your crazy stance of defending art all you like, I'm not attacking art, but a recording of silence is not music.

And your definition of art, no matter how much you like to assert it, is not correct. And by the way, none of us get to define what art is.

angelic

Banned
This is a complete misunderstanding if what 4'33" is. It's not a "recording of silence" but a live piece. Cage had been working on adding randomness and chance into his work, and 4'33" was the logical conclusion, where the musicians didn't even play and the soundtrack was provided unwittingly by the audience with their random coughs, sniffs etc. Which sounds like a intellectual joke and in a way it is, but by taking it to such an extreme it also had value in adjusting how both musicians and listeners think about music, what it is, what it can be, what it is for etc. I've been lucky enough to attend a live performance, and even though the audience was "in on it" the feeling of being in the middle of hundreds of people trying not to make a sound was electrifying! Everyone was smiling afterwards, joking with the people sitting next to them etc. An experience.

Anyway Rapture is a game, just not a good one imo. The story would have been far better served as a film, radio play, comic, puppet show ... pretty much anything other than a game.

1667_3.jpg

I'm sorry, couldnt resist.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've been waiting on this thread ever since the game joined the plus catalog. It's easily one of my least favorite game experiences of all time. Between the character's thick accents and their representation as apparitions of light, it was hard for me to keep up with who was who.

The music was good and I liked when it started raining but nearly everything else was bad.

Withnail

This is completely OT, but it's not 4'33 of absolute silence, it's a recording of an actual orchestra not playing. There are some incidental sounds.
It exists purely to provoke "what is music" questions.

Edit: LayLa put it better.

Back on topic, anybody spending hours doing nothing to get some trophies in this game clearly got trolled by the devs.

Syder

1. Intrigue everyone with an interesting title
  2. Intrigue everyone with an interesting trailer
  3. Make boring walking simulator
  4. ?????
  5. Profit

angelic

Banned
This is completely OT, but it's not 4'33 of absolute silence, it's a recording of an actual orchestra not playing. There are some incidental sounds.
It exists purely to provoke "what is music" questions..

Precisely, it exists as a piece of art, not a piece of entertainment, just like EGTTR.

I really enjoyed it.

Movement was far too slow and performance was bad on PS4, but other than that, I thought the story was excellent (Albeit one you needed to piece together on your own), the acting was very good, and the overall environment design was well done.

sublimit

Banned
I played it recently and i actually quite enjoyed it except for the painfully slow movement.Story,music and atmosphere were great.

So it's not music, and EGTTR is not a game.

This is some really dumb logic. I don't think the music example is in any way a good one, but claiming EGTTR isn't a game is nonsense.

Call it a bad one; everyone has their opinions. But saying it isn't a game isn't a game doesn't make sense on any level other than to fit some arbitrary notion of what makes a video game and to fit some kind of narrative. There are enough direct things about it (Having a virtual world, one that you can explore, use a controller to move your character around, you interact with said virtual world in a limited fashion as you choose), that there's really no where even logical to go with that argument.

horkrux

This game is so shit that I genuinely do not understand how some people can derive so much joy out of it.

No surprise, seeing how much anger you show towards the game.

I'm pretty sure the character arcs where not wasted on the player. You just didn't bother to connect the events (which was the whole point of the game, to uncover the story).
The environments may seem pointlessly open sometimes, and the walking speed is atrocious, but if you can look past that and enjoy looking for where the light ball leads you in this beautiful environemnt to learn what had went down in this town, the game can be great. Emotional moments are provided by the music and direction at certain points, like f.e. when you enter the church and interact there (I can't remember for sure, but I think that's how it was) and then a way is lights up and music plays - that was pretty emotional.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No surprise, seeing how much anger you show towards the game.

I'm pretty sure the character arcs where not wasted on the player. You just didn't bother to connect the events (which was the whole point of the game, to uncover the story).
The environments may seem pointlessly open sometimes, and the walking speed is atrocious, but if you can look past that and enjoy looking for where the light ball leads you in this beautiful environemnt to learn what had went down in this town, the game can be great. Emotional moments are provided by the music and direction at certain points, like f.e. when you enter the church and interact there (I can't remember for sure, but I think that's how it was) and then a way is lights up and music plays - that was pretty emotional.

I liked that moment, but it was the only significant moment out of the two and a half hour experience.

I love EGTTR because I'm able to love it for what it is, but I certainly don't blame anyone for it not resonating with them. It's unique and passive and languidly paced which you either appreciate or you don't.

However, I cannot accept this "It's not a game" bullshit.

God, I hate self-absorbed elitist gamers who think they have the authority to dictate which fucking interactive digital experiences are or are not "games". It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit your small, closed-minded view of what a video game should be, it's a video game.

Say you didn't like it, sure. Aggressively call something utter shit because you didn't like it, okay, whatever. But you, behind your little glowing screen, don't get to huff and puff and tell other people that something is not a video game because you willed it.

Budi

I love EGTTR because I'm able to love it for what it is, but I certainly don't blame anyone for it not resonating with them. It's unique and passive and languidly paced which you either appreciate or you don't.

However, I cannot accept this "It's not a game" bullshit.

God, I hate self-absorbed elitist gamers who think they have the authority to dictate what fucking interactive digital experiences are or are not "games". It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit your small, closed-minded view of what a video game should be, it's a video game.

Say you didn't like it, sure. Aggressively call something utter shit because you didn't like it, okay, whatever. But you, behind your little glowing screen, don't get to huff and puff and tell other people that something is not a video game because you willed it.
Absolutely this. Even text adventures, games that have nothing but text, are games.

wbEMX

I fucking adore the soundtrack for this game. It's in my top five all-time favorites but I never played the game because of the negative responses to it. Too bad. Still need to get the surround version of the OST off of the PSN Store.

Azzanadra

It's crap, yeah. The Chinese Room in general is an exploitative dev with their faux-deep games and appeal to high-art. Hell, I can say that the yearly CoD installments have more artistic integrity than these games, at least those guys try and put in effort rather than to be as minimalistic as possible to present what is a sub-par radio play as the crowning jewel if videogame storytelling.

Van Bur3n

Hey, those creative writing dropouts gotta make money somehow. Shitty video games ought to do it.

Make the walking speed slow as all fuck as well so the player can't run through the game and realize how little value it's really worth.

Then you just wait for the money to roll in. Lotta gamers look for that deep experience, bruv. So deep it makes ye cry virgin tears. Muh emotions 10/10.

I liked what the game was striving for, and the studio did a nice job with designing the town and building atmosphere.

But the walking speed killed it for me and my girlfriend. The area is just far too large for how slow you move through it. We had moments of like "Do you wanna see what's over there?" only to follow it up with "Fuck no that will take way too long." I agree with the OP that the game seemed to want you to explore, but really didn't make exploration worthwhile.

I'm patient enough that I could have gritted my teeth for the sake of finishing it, but my girlfriend got sick of that Stephen guy being a "whiny, cheating bitch" (her words).

Too bad. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but it's a sobering reminder of the importance of good pacing.

I played through this game in one sitting and couldn't even tell you what it's about. I had no idea which character was which and the story being nonlinear did the game absolutely no favors.

Cess007

I liked it, I certainly liked it more than Gone Home as the OP mentions. It has an incredible music, it felt like a real mystery to know what happened and some of the story arcs were very good and interesting.

Crzy1

I was very much looking forward to this game before it's release, but it was quite disappointing. Kind of gave me a "what was the point of all of that?" feeling when it was all over.

I really wanted to get lost in the atmosphere of some sleepy little English village, but it never really clicked with me. I can appreciate that they wanted to tell a story that unraveled in layers, but I was so bored by the in-between that I pretty much just rolled my eyes at the larger reveals.

Not the worst game I've played, but the formula has been done much better, for sure.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I liked what the game was striving for, and the studio did a nice job with designing the town and building atmosphere.

But the walking speed killed it for me and my girlfriend. The area is just far too large for how slow you move through it. We had moments of like "Do you wanna see what's over there?" only to follow it up with "Fuck no that will take way too long." I agree with the OP that the game seemed to want you to explore, but really didn't make exploration worthwhile.

I'm patient enough that I could have gritted my teeth for the sake of finishing it, but my girlfriend got sick of that Stephen guy being a "whiny, cheating bitch" (her words).

Too bad. I felt like it had a lot of potential, but it's a sobering reminder of the importance of good pacing.

This take is truly the crux of the game's issue.

The only thing worse than a game with bad exploration, is one with a lot to explore, but the game discourages you from doing so.

angelic

Banned
I got so stuck because the final waypoint wouldnt trigger, I ended up walking back to the observatory at the start...from across the entire damn village. Shuffling along like Turok 2, frame rate hitching, searching for what was the entry to the final area, because some other waypoint just before it had glitched out somehow.

The premise of the actual story is quite good...what the light actually is, is quite clever, but much worse than that is what it actually does and why, and what happens to the main characters partner. It's so insipid, twee, airy fairy and (yes) pretentious that I wanted to vomit.

The main character is having an affair with this other woman hes trying to leave town with, the weird light is actually an alien entity that gives people what they truly deserve, and his partner has never felt connected to anyone in the world and basically runs off with this alien light thingy. It's standard allegorical sap aimed at anyone who wants to feel a bit of a snowflake because of their disconnect to the world, and I hate it with the passion.

samred

Not sure how many people posted negative reviews during its launch period, but I agree w/ a lot of what you're saying. My thoughts from 2015 here.

Sam from Ars said:
EGTTR's main problem is a severe lack of choreography and purpose. The game seems confused about what kind of emotional and plot content it wants to deliver in interactive form, and what's the best pace to deliver that content. It's easy to directly compare the game to Gone Home, another where'd-everybody-go game, but the latter title's books, mementos, letters, and audio clues were placed to maximize its combination of storytelling and interactivity. Even without that comparison in mind, EGTTR never makes its storytelling aspirations clear enough for us to see any major differentiating factor from other modern story games, other than perhaps offering a much larger world.

Bigger is never better by default in the realm of storytelling, as this game makes clear. EGTTR's bursts of light rarely carry us toward the game's brightest stuff—nor toward a satisfying conclusion.

I played through this game in one sitting and couldn't even tell you what it's about. I had no idea which character was which and the story being nonlinear did the game absolutely no favors.

This was my main issue with it besides the walking speed. Not showing the characters meant you had to identify them purely by voice, where in other walking simulators it's just one character narrating the whole time. I'm not too into walking simulators but this was the one I went into with highish expectations and it ended up disappointing me the most. The only walking simulator I've really enjoyed was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, although I hated the ending.

odhiex

To me, the game was okay. Beautiful graphics, good ambience sounds, the story not so much. Voice actings were good. 7/10.

I don't like GONE HOME, I think the story is worse.

Well that is my opinion.

Paperboy

(Huge bump incoming.)

It's not as bad in a way as people think since it apparently succeeds with provoking feelings from those who have experienced Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Just look at the number of threads about this interactive novel on this forum alone!
It doesn't feel fair calling it a bad game/novel/experience or how you would label it: the world is pretty and detailed, the soundtrack is up there with the greatest, the dialogue is well written, the actors are fantastic ...but the story isn't very complex or engaging, it threads slower than the walking speed. It's probably partly made like that just to keep the ability for the players to approach the story in the order they want. But that doesn't excuse the lackluster conclusion.

The townsfolk keep going on about these dead birds. And there are only two conflicts to speak of during these five hours or so: Stephen's affair and that "thing". It isn't enough.
Everybody's gone to the rapture would be great in VR, especially the scene when Stephen sets himself on fire.

Just my thoughts I needed to ventilate.

hecatomb

Banned
Seems like a new type of point and click game, like the Myst series. Seems like some will like this game and others won't. Just like when Myst 1st came out, people were bitching you couldn't kill or fight anything in Myst.

The Alien

Banned
When the game was about to be released, without seeing it, I mistakenly thought it was more Bioshock DLC.

Lol. 😃

I wish it was Bioshock DLC (sigh). ☹

Stuart360

Couldnt even finish the game on PC. The walking speed was painfully slow, and i'm talking about 'jogging' speed, not the actual walking speed. Boring, pretentious, and pointless. Graphics were good though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I thought the script and voice-acting were mediocre; its like a low-grade BBC radio drama. Pacing is nonexistent, which ensures that there's no suspense or dramatic tension. The "game" aspect is so stripped back and insubstantial that it can be fairly described as offering no more than pushing a camera around some static assets.

Literally the only thing it has going for it, is the soundtrack and some pleasant graphics.

Whatever the intentions, the end product is a lazy, perfunctory, waste of time. Talk about less than the sum of its parts, you could strip the audio files, string them together, mix in the music, and you'd end up with a better experience.

TFGB

The game is a nostalgia hit to those of us that grew up in and around sleepy villages in the UK in the 70s & early 80s. If you didn’t, then I can probably see why it can be deemed boring.

However, for those of us that had experienced rural British life back then, it’s an atmospheric adventure in a world we can relate to. Back before the internet and mobile phones, and we had to actually physically turn the TV channel over to one of the other three channels that were only available to us back then.

For many of us, it’s a trip back to arguably better times and the game succeeds at what The Chinese Room set out to create, even if the R2 button didn’t make us run quick enough.

Top Bottom