• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's shit. The fuck is this game?

Grimmrobe

It's not just this "indie" "masterpiece" that sucks.

It's all of them.

Introducing the "indie" scene
https://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/introducing-the-indie-scene.html

The Myth of Independence
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/the_myth_of_independence/

Educate yourself, guys. We are being lied to by a clique of scammers.

Deeper readings:

On the Genealogy of "Art Games": A Polemic
https://culture.vg/features/art-theory/on-the-genealogy-of-art-games/

The Conspiracy of Art
http://insomnia.ac/essays/the_conspiracy_of_art/

The Great 20th Century Art Scam
https://www.artrenewal.org/Article/Title/art-scam

Last edited:

nowhat

The game is a nostalgia hit to those of us that grew up in and around sleepy villages in the UK in the 70s & early 80s. If you didn’t, then I can probably see why it can be deemed boring.
I didn't grow up in the UK, but I don't mind the genre. The problem is, I found the game mechanically lacking, hence I never finished it. I don't need to be handheld all the time in games, as a matter of fact in such "walking simulators" it is better if the player is forced to explore a bit - but if I just have to wander around a lot looking where the next glowing orb would be, that's bad design. Something like "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" was a much better game in the genre IMHO.

TFGB

- but if I just have to wander around a lot looking where the next glowing orb would be, that's bad design.
For me, it wasn’t a case of ‘having to’ wander around, I wanted to. Exploration of the environment to see what other little nuggets of nostalgia the devs had included was as much a reason to keep playing as wanting to discover how the story ended.

Shmunter

Just a tip. Due to the ghostly figures, it’s difficult to follow the narrative. The game needs to be played with subtitles to follow the characters journey. Only then does it becomes a solid experience.

ROMhack

I liked it a lot and should replay it sometime. I think those looking for something 'special' are going to be disappointed because the game eschews all that and goes in the complete opposite direction. It juxtaposes the concept of the apocalypse (something tremendously grand) with the lives of its parochial village characters (something very, very simple) favouring the latter. I found it clever because it reminded me that most of our lives are spent engaging with small things that aren't really important.

Here's something I once wrote.

'...this means that Everybody's Gone to the Rapture gets its kicks from eschewing action. Filmmaker Chris Marker has a brilliant quote about this type of thing that reads 'I've been round the world several times and now only banality still interests me' and the experience of the game is a lot like this. It reminds me of trips to the supermarket; like time spent getting dressed in the morning; attempts at deicing your car in the middle of Winter. None of this happens in the game of course but it's no different to listening in on Stephen arranging a pint with Lizzie, Frank worrying about his cows, or Howard getting irate if the train signs aren't put up correctly. The experience comes together as something tender and while not always perfect, deceptively reveals how few games are willing to engage with ordinary lives'.

I still think that sums it up quite well. It's a game for patient, methodical gamers. Maybe not even gamers at all.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dont bother that is another pretentious load of shite as well

Nah, Edith Finch while not nearly the masterpiece some hailed it as, at least tries to imbue its narrative with interactivity and enrich the experience. Some sections are legitimately great (Bathtub, Fish Factory), others are stylistically interesting like the the EC comic homage section and the opening beast section, and on the whole its an an engaging narrative so I'd say its infinitely superior to EGTTR.

My only real knock on Edith Finch is I felt it promised more than it actually delivered, which sadly is exactly the same issue I had with Giant Sparrow's previous game. Still, both deserve credit for their creativity, even if they don't really "stick the landing" in their third-acts.

mekes

I enjoyed the game quite a lot in the end, they captured the general area really well. Parts were frustrating, I do share the same complaints but I pushed through and enjoyed it as a whole. Ethan Carter has been my favourite game of this type so far, I really enjoyed that game.

Grimmrobe

It's not just this "indie" "masterpiece" that sucks.

It's all of them.

Introducing the "indie" scene
https://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/introducing-the-indie-scene.html

The Myth of Independence
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/the_myth_of_independence/

Educate yourself, guys. We are being lied to by a clique of scammers.

Deeper readings:

On the Genealogy of "Art Games": A Polemic
https://culture.vg/features/art-theory/on-the-genealogy-of-art-games/

The Conspiracy of Art
http://insomnia.ac/essays/the_conspiracy_of_art/

The Great 20th Century Art Scam
https://www.artrenewal.org/Article/Title/art-scam

For the record, I made this post BEFORE my "indie" thread that just got deleted. First I saw this thread, then I made this post, then I thought "You know what, we need a thread on this", then I made the thread, then the thread got deleted, and now I've given up.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
For the record, I made this post BEFORE my "indie" thread that just got deleted. First I saw this thread, then I made this post, then I thought "You know what, we need a thread on this", then I made the thread, then the thread got deleted, and now I've given up.

I'm curious, what was the mod's reasoning for complete deletion? My main concern was that you only really seemed angry about the term "indie" because it doesn't have a clear enough definition for you. You said above that "all indie games suck" but have at the same time promoted a couple in threads of their own. I'm also still struggling to work out how indie games as a whole are a "scam" when they're just smaller, cheaper games made by smaller teams of people. There's a plethora of other industry terms that you could argue also don't have concrete definitions and get constantly misused - open world, roguelike, RPG etc. etc. Why are you so hung up on indies and not those?

The thread itself just seemed to be a compilation of people shitting on popular titles for no real reason other than to show that some people don't like them. I tried to read the "myth of independence" piece to help me to understand, but only made it a few paragraphs before I had to stop. It's worse than a VICE article.

Grimmrobe

I'm curious, what was the mod's reasoning for complete deletion?

It is not allowed to criticize "indies" as a movement on the internet.

People will give you "reasons", but THIS is the real reason.

You can say that this or that game is bad, but you can't criticize the MOVEMENT.

Too many people have staked too much on it for criticism to be allowed.

If you want verbatim what they said, here it is:

"Just spam posting other people's reviews does not make a good thread. Feel free to create your own original reviews for games and provide links to other similar reviews if you think it bolsters your position."

Because this forum is full of good threads, and we can't allow one bad one lol.

I had a terrific thread, full of terrific reviews that were opening people's eyes, but NeoGAF is not the place for them. If anyone wants the links, PM me.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It is not allowed to criticize "indies" as a movement on the internet. I had a terrific thread, full of terrific reviews that were opening people's eyes.

That's... none of that really happened, did it? What exactly were you "opening people's eyes" to? The thread wasn't critical of any "movement", it really was just pasting negative reviews of specific indie games, and linking to some truly terrible articles, and the end result was a confusing mess, not a particularly good thread. Some of those reviews were really not terrific either. I'd be happy to read negative opinions that don't line up with the majority point of view, but some of them came across as rambling 4chan posts without any real justification for their nonsense. It does seem fishy that the thread was deleted, since others of a similar quality haven't been, but the message you were trying to get across was incredibly muddled.

Maybe try again with a different tact? I think you had some valid points to make, they just weren't being made properly. I think you'll have a hard time convincing most people to get hung up on an industry term like "indie" when there are plenty of terms that are just as loose. Most people have an idea of what indie generally means, it doesn't need a 100% concrete definition, a lot of words don't. See above post for examples. But perhaps you could make a thread that argues that indie games get an easier time from critics, or that gamers should be more critical of laziness in modern independent game design, or something. Those would be actual discussions, not just a tirade.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm a big "narrative over gameplay" kind of guy, but for some reason I just can't get into these kind of games. Gone Home in particular was one of the least enjoyable gaming experiences of my life, it just bored me to tears.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I'm curious, what was the mod's reasoning for complete deletion? My main concern was that you only really seemed angry about the term "indie" because it doesn't have a clear enough definition for you. You said above that "all indie games suck" but have at the same time promoted a couple in threads of their own. I'm also still struggling to work out how indie games as a whole are a "scam" when they're just smaller, cheaper games made by smaller teams of people. There's a plethora of other industry terms that you could argue also don't have concrete definitions and get constantly misused - open world, roguelike, RPG etc. etc. Why are you so hung up on indies and not those?
I figured his thread was just that. There is a dislike for a term but i remember when he linked to his fave author's site about it, it completely burned down even proper, famous indie titles to the ground and calling them bad.

At that point you aren't just critical of some indie titles anymore, you are actively complaining about the existence of that sub-medium within games.

The thread itself just seemed to be a compilation of people shitting on popular titles for no real reason other than to show that some people don't like them.
... Yeah, that's about what i expected. I almost feel ashamed that my assumption proved correct.

It is not allowed to criticize "indies" as a movement on the internet.
It is not allowed to flame on indies like they are some kind of pest that the industry needs to get rid of. Not only disregarding the effort made but also deadeyeing indie titles that are part of the legendary games canon.

People will give you "reasons", but THIS is the real reason. You can say that this or that game is bad, but you can't criticize the MOVEMENT. Too many people have staked too much on it for criticism to be allowed.
Games aren't some kind of higher level intellect fam, they are games, and games are ought to be fun most of the time, with the occasional art game being thought-provocative.

It ain't deeper than that bro.

Because this forum is full of good threads, and we can't allow one bad one lol.
If it was so terrific, then why are you calling it a bad one?
lH78oJ7.png

I had a terrific thread, full of terrific reviews that were opening people's eyes, but NeoGAF is not the place for them. If anyone wants the links, PM me.
Linking to a site by a known fraud artist with often unnuanced and less than objective views alongside the occassional good point isn't opening people's eyes. If you want to proclaim that indie games suck, you have to be more nuanced than that.

But i guess NeoGAF does not want to hear about the Messiah of game journalism or smh.
mansnothot.png

Harlock

Is not bad. I liked the city, some characters, the sci-fi concept. But it is boring and everyone being light silhouettes is hard to tell who is who.

Three

Didn't like the game either it was pretty bad. The stories were nice but it felt like I was being dripfed a story with some boringly slow walking around inbetween. If I were walking in an actual village sure it would have been a pleasant walk but it just felt like a restriction in the game. After a while it felt like I was trying to walk under water to get to the next story snippet.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

It was the review spamming man, I don't think the mods would have had a problem at all if you took some time and laid out your case, and put some links up in that OP as well for people to check out, but you wanted to copy and paste reviews for 2 pages.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I really liked the game. Played it 2x (2nd time for the platinum).
If you want to rush a game, this is not for you. Just accept it and move on to another game.
The pace didn't bother me at all, it's a game to enjoy and get immersed in the scenery and the location. I did my research and knew what was getting into before buying it, I suggest people to that before buying any game to avoid disappointment and frustrations.

nowhat

I did my research and knew what was getting into before buying it, I suggest people to that before buying any game to avoid disappointment and frustrations.
I mean, it was "free" on PS+ a few years back, so I'm not complaining about the price. Just that when it comes to exploration, while I don't think the player needs to be handheld too much in these types of games, there should be better hints towards what the player is supposed to do. I didn't personally find just roaming around an English village that fascinating in and of itself. "Ethan Carter" to me was a much better implementation of the genre. But different strokes and all that, perhaps had I been more drawn into the atmosphere I would have finished it (and maybe I will, it's still in my backlog... oh who am I kidding, I will never clear my backlog).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bump.
Just got around to this and Beginner's guide... I did not liked both but egttr was a chore and an absolute boring slog to play. (Beginner's guide was just a let down)
Halfway through I've set x5 running speed with cheat engine and the game was still boring and slow.
The story is uninteresting and underdeveloped and the stories of all characters are just uninteresting, normal life typical stuff. They have a fight, they drink coffe, they talk, they talk, they argue, they complain... I am not getting anything out of this.
You very slowly walk around, listen to very boring conversations and uncover nothing.
Firewatch, Gone Home, Soma(safe mode) Stanley parable and Edith Finch all are amazing and do this "genre" much better. This is boring crawling simulator with nice very static graphics and story so slow and bad it's impressive...
Well guess it was to be expected - Dear Esther and their Amnesia game were just as boring with nothing happening.
This is like a stripped down version of Obduction with almost no story and ... nothing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The pace is slow and can be so anoying back tracking but I loved it and the story.
The graphicsm voice and sounds made me feel like I was walking around some villages in England Ive gone to.
It is a walking simulator...

EGGTR_3_670.png

So I decided to play some narrative games with my girlfriend. We played through Gone Home this morning. It was great. Every room you explore in the house has a purpose, and every item builds on the story that is being told. You learn about the parents, the sister, and the old man who was living there before you. The game hooks you from the moment you step into the house. The story progresses at a steady pace and culminates at a satisfying conclusion.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is anything but that. It seems like you have to follow a ball of light around town, but it's not quite certain. The ball of light comes and goes, sometimes doing some back and forths, leaving me confused as to what the hell I'm supposed to do. I explored off the beaten path and sometimes you find a radio or a flashback of people talking, but not always. And this is one of the many things that are frustrating. It sorta kinda feels like the game wants me to explore, but more often than not, I am not rewarded for doing so. Dead ends and uninteresting rooms/areas are aplenty. And it's made all the worse by the fucking killer slow walking speed. Oh. My. God. And yes, I knew about holding R2, and it doesn't make anything better.

The game does not build up a satisfying narration. There is no progression in the narrative. As I was walking around, all the conversations I was coming up on were completely disconnected from each other. If each of these characters have an arc and a crescendo, it is completely wasted on the player.

Frustration also comes in the form of confusion as to whether the game suffers from bugs or not. One time, during the Wendy "chapter" (if we can call it that), the ball of light stopped at some elevated point near the train rails. I looked around, found some conversations, listened to some radios, but the ball of light stayed there. Is there something I missed? Or is this a bug and I need to move on? My level of anger towards this game was reaching an untenable level, so I decided to leave the ball there and move further down the road in case this is what I needed to do. So I moved down the road... and then the game switches to the next chapter? The fuck? Now I'm in a chapter on Frank?

So I'm playing the game, not knowing if I'm playing "right", and that contributes to my irritation towards it. And that's on top of the disconnected conversations between the characters, which decidedly seem like a (shit) design choice.

Another thing that adds to the frustration. Some times, you come across a ball of light that needs to be "activated" by shuffling the controller sideways like old people do when they play Mario Kart. I have no fucking clue why I need to do that to listen on a conversation or what it adds to the narration, but I have to do it. But if it were just that, it wouldn't be an issue. No, there are actually two issues with this mechanic.

First, is that that fucking function is obtuse and doesn't work like it should. More times than once, I was shuffling the controller left and right, moving the ball, but nothing was happening. The worst was in the church, with pastor Jeremy. I was at the altar, trying my best to trigger the fucking fucker, but the game just wouldn't have it. It took well over two minutes of my stupid-ass of swinging the controller around so that I could finally listen to fucking pastor Jeremy cry about something about which I couldn't give two shits because of the terrible narration.

The second issue with this mechanic is that the game fails to communicate to the player when he needs to do it. So a lot of times, I found myself tilting the controller sideways to make a ball of light move, but it wouldn't. I didn't need to. But sometimes I had to.

So I suffered through this horseshit until some time through the Frank chapter, after maybe an hour and a half of playing. I looked at How Long To Beat to see how long this game was, and it read five hours. I checked on Metacritic to see what people were saying about it. There were some very glowing reviews (that were thinly articulated), and lots of negative reviews. One refrain was that the story was not satisfactory. There was no pay-off in the end.

So I closed the game and deleted it from my hard drive.

This game is so shit that I genuinely do not understand how some people can derive so much joy out of it. As I was reading some impressions, more than once I read something along the lines of "this is one of the most emotional games I have ever played", "I cried more than once", "So and so was my favorite character and I cried at his fate". Like, what!? How the fuck is that possible? Are these people like Brendan Frasier's character in that movie where he briefly turns into a ginger and cries at the sight of the sunset? How the fuck can this game elicit such emotions from people? I do not understand.

And yes, I read the story online. I've read about it. I very much doubt that reaching the end credits would have changed anything.

You know which game succeeds and earns the emotion it elicits from the player? Gone Home. Another "walking simulator" (I prefer the non-pejorative term light adventure game). Which I beat this very morning with my girlfriend. That game earns it. There is a narration. There is purpose. There is build-up. You get attached to the characters and the game's emotional attempts are earned.

I have not played Dear Esther, but I did play all of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, when it came out. That game is one of the best-written games I have ever played. It might even be the best. So how did The Chinese Room drop the ball so much with this game? Such a disappointment.

This game wouldn't have gotten me angry if it weren't for the shit execution of the design. It's fine that a game doesn't adhere to a linear narrative. Games can drop players in a world and have them piece together the story by themselves. But Everybody's Gone to the Rapture fails at that. Not knowing if I need to explore some corner of the world, as in not knowing if I will be rewarded for doing so or if I'll have to suffer through the slow fucking speed while walking back. Not knowing if a ball of light has to be followed or not. Not knowing if a ball of light has to be shaken sideways for the flashback to be triggered. Not knowing if a ball of light is bugged or if I truly missed something. Not knowing if I am playing the game as the designers intended me to.

If it weren't for all that shit, the game would be an inoffensive bore. But as it is, it is an offensive one.

Fuck this game.
Was a ps4 exclusive when their first party were a little hit or miss which is why it got the attention it did

That year you had the fantastic bloodbourne but in the same year you had the order 1886 and a number of paid remasters of older PlayStation games and all of these were probably not the games that all people would like

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Agreed it sucked ass and was boring. Got tricked into buying it through the positive reviews praising it as “art”.
Forced myself through 3 hours of it and never played again.

May as well have burned a $20 bill.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Beautiful looking experience (not a game), mired by some baffling 'locked door' moments that undercut the immersion. With all that said, a good year on I couldn't tell you a damn about the storyline save in the vaguest of terms, and I recall that the achievement route for it was utter trash (replay about 8 times doing different shit style affairs..because *reasons*...FTS ain't no one got the time for that sort of runaround BS Devs).

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I liked the village visual. Dont know why the dev dont make a PSVR where people just look around, relaxing.

that would be amazing, but game really chugged on ps4 base so i dont think they could have gotten to the 90 fps minimum for psvr.

Also, Chinese Room stopped making games as the couple that owned it are rich, one of the owners has ms or something, they had a baby.

Last edited:

MrRogers

My consumption rule to a "indie" game like this, is to first check what the dipshits at resetera think. If they praise it, its guaranteed to be a shallow walking simulator that tickles their he-clits with occassional woke themes. If they hate it, it probably has too much gameplay with pesky mechanics like hitting 2 buttons at the same time. This rule hasnt failed me yet, and yes, the dipshits praise this abortion of a game constantly.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
My consumption rule to a "indie" game like this, is to first check what the dipshits at resetera think. If they praise it, its guaranteed to be a shallow walking simulator that tickles their he-clits with occassional woke themes. If they hate it, it probably has too much gameplay with pesky mechanics like hitting 2 buttons at the same time. This rule hasnt failed me yet, and yes, the dipshits praise this abortion of a game constantly.
Thank you for making my day. I've had a shitty week and this made me laugh.

ROMhack

I really liked and found the point was to contrast the difference between how the 'apocalypse' is typically represented in games, which is usually all guns and glory, blood and fire.

EGttR mostly shows how boring and mundane life tends to be and how we're all wrapped up in little bits of insignificant drama, which we often elevate higher than they really need to be (Frank crying over cows ffs!).

I'm not honestly surprised this forum is non-receptive because it's a niche game and maybe not even a game at all. It's very slow, cumbersome and a bit dull (on purpose IMO).

I don't remember any 'woke' themes in the game. It's certainly about humanism but not necessarily politics.

that would be amazing, but game really chugged on ps4 base so i dont think they could have gotten to the 90 fps minimum for psvr.

Also, Chinese Room stopped making games as the couple that owned it are rich, one of the owners has ms or something, they had a baby.

Yeah, they were bought by Sumo Digital a year or two ago. I think they are doing something though as I saw they were hiring for designers when I looked about six months ago (can't remember why I was looking).

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Loved the setting and I wanted to give it a real try but like you also just couldn't handle the wonky ass way it told its story did like 3 hours and then just uninstalled. The game built around the setting just isn't good. I'd have made it like LA Noire if I could have made with myself. You'd be private eye going in and actually collecting clues on how people vanished and piecing it together through that kind of thing. But oh well.

joe_zazen

Yeah, they were bought by Sumo Digital a year or two ago. I think they are doing something though as I saw they were hiring for designers when I looked about six months ago (can't remember why I was looking).

good to hear. She is a great composer, and i enjoy his writing.

sephiroth7x

Its slow. REALLY slow.

But the writing, performances, soundtrack, graphics to an extent, and general mood are incredible.

Its biggest issue is its speed but I was thoroughly invested in the story all the way through. However, wont deny that being born and raised in a village that is almost perfectly recreated in the game could have had something to do with it.

Top Bottom